View Poll Results: How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

28 22.76%
  • I would be willing to cut my driving in half

24 19.51%
  • I would be willing to have power cut 4 hours a day

9 7.32%
  • No, such programs are not for me, let someone else do it

62 50.41%
Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Students around the world skip class to demand action on climate

Here's something we could do right now that would have a huge impact on climate change, drive our cars, buses, trucks on alternate days.

If you're license ends in an even number, you drive on even days, don't drive on odd days. If it ends in a odd number, you drive on odd days. Car pooling is fine and is expected.

Would you accept and follow such a program?

How about the power company turns the electricity off for 4 hours a day? Like from 5pm to 9pm?

How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Students around the world slack off and skip class, accomplishing nothing instead of prioritizing their studies so that they can grow up to be someone who can actually contribute to real change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Students around the world slack off and skip class, accomplishing nothing instead of prioritizing their studies so that they can grow up to be someone who can actually contribute to real change.
    We need change now, but hey, you continue to ignore reality.

Almost all the students who join in these things are just skipping class to skip class, the rest are just misguided due to their impressionability. They're kids, that's what kids do. Since when have kids been the pinnacle of rationality and logic? Kids tend to parrot things without verifying anyways, which is why kids are prime targets for propaganda and manipulation via fearmongering. I doubt things have changed much since I was a kid, when "the world is literally going to end!" in middle and high school if something socially awkward happened or if you broke up with someone. The kids I tutor, despite being decently sound in academics, are so prone to hyperbole and misinformation it's ridiculous... and a pain in the butt to get them to unlearn if it's affecting their grades, too.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

It is good to see people becoming more Politicaly Active for such a important cause.

Had a group of them march past my Office on Friday, even with the Wind and rain.
    Last edited by Kotuthan; 2019-03-16 at 03:15 PM.

Lmao how convenient, skipping classes AND being seen in a positive light. Why didn't they protest in any other way? If i was still in school i'd skip a whole month "in protest"
    Alright Becky i'll "stop climate change now", so you don't have to skip classes and get your education because i care about random people. Fuck off
    Last edited by Zero3; 2019-03-16 at 03:07 PM.

All i'm hearing her say and protest is "We need to do something". Which is what everyone is saying... so I don't really understand why this is getting so much focus. Seems like we focus more on about us wanting to do something rather than actually do something.

Yeah it would be nice to have my fridge shut down for 4 hours everyday. I guess I could walk to work on some days. Just makes my 8h day into 14 hr day. I am up for this. Let's go back to walking and using horses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    All i'm hearing her say and protest is "We need to do something". Which is what everyone is saying... so I don't really understand why this is getting so much focus. Seems like we focus more on about us wanting to do something rather than actually do something.
    Pretty much this.

"OMG guys we need to do something about climate change before its too late!"

*proceeds to change absolutely nothing about their own lives, buying a new iPhone every year, driving their SUVs everywhere, living in huge energy inefficient properties, eating meat, etc.*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    How about the power company turns the electricity off for 4 hours a day? Like from 5pm to 9pm?
    So, by generating more pollution, this helps fight climate change... how?

"I'm angry about this thing, so I'm going to promote it further"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Pretty much this.

"OMG guys we need to do something about climate change before its too late!"

*proceeds to change absolutely nothing about their own lives, buying a new iPhone every year, driving their SUVs everywhere, living in huge energy inefficient properties, eating meat, etc.*
    It's almost as if individual level action is ultimately meaningless when the largest contributors for people using those services are infrastructural or systemic. Shocker.

It's more telling that these high school students understand that but you, with the advantage of age and more education, fail to. Funny how that works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    The real truth, right here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's almost as if individual level action is ultimately meaningless when the largest contributors for people using those services are infrastructural or systemic. Shocker.

It's more telling that these high school students understand that but you, with the advantage of age and more education, fail to. Funny how that works.
    Yes, hundreds of millions of individuals making a change will have absolutely no effect at all, good call!

Only changes to those evil corporations, which literally only exist to provide what those hundreds of millions of individuals will pay them to provide, will prevent climate change.

Quote Originally Posted by Girighet View Post
    They're stupid.
    The 12 years left sign was a dead give away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yes, hundreds of millions of individuals making a change will have absolutely no effect at all, good call!
    "Hundreds of millions of people" is not an individual level solution, it's a social level solution by definition.

Only changes to those evil corporations, which literally only exist to provide what those hundreds of millions of individuals will pay them to provide, will prevent climate change.

For someone so critical of these students you're certainly being childish.

It's not a function of "evil corporations" versus everyone else; it is a function the fundamental design of an economic system that is predicated on endless growth and limitless availability of resources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

This thread is a great display of why humanity is absolutely fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    The ones in power are not doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here's something we could do right now that would have a huge impact on climate change, drive our cars, buses, trucks on alternate days.

If you're license ends in an even number, you drive on even days, don't drive on odd days. If it ends in a odd number, you drive on odd days. Car pooling is fine and is expected.

Would you accept and follow such a program?

How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?
    Nah we've already hit the tipping point might as well live it up cant be fixed at this point also there are a lot of places that just wouldn't work unless you could get companies to specifically schedule their workers according to it. A lot of places only have one worker in at a time and most offices already carpool to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Almost all the students who join in these things are just skipping class to skip class, the rest are just misguided due to their impressionability. They're kids, that's what kids do. Since when have kids been the pinnacle of rationality and logic?
    Um, for quite a while? Especially when you look at the bleeding obvious, which politicians seem to be quite happy to pretend Climate Change isn't a thing.

Kids tend to parrot things without verifying anyways.
    Which adults never do. In other news, Hillary's pizza sex trafficking! Vaccines cause autism!

I doubt things have changed much since I was a kid
    I like how you accuse these kids for not verifying anything, then immediately make an unverified assumption.

when "the world is literally going to end!" in middle and high school if something socially awkward happened or if you broke up with someone.
    Yeah, but you usually don't have basically every climatologist in the world going on about how the world is ending because Sally broke up with John. They are quite alarmed about climate change and the facts and figures back it up.

The kids I tutor, despite being decently sound in academics, are so prone to hyperbole and misinformation it's ridiculous... and a pain in the butt to get them to unlearn if it's affecting their grades, too.
    Such as?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    The real truth, right here.
    Because striking for one day means all of their academic progress is reduced to zero? It's not a truth in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Hundreds of millions of people" is not an individual level solution, it's a social level solution by definition.
    You seem to think individuals can't decide to make a change for the better and the only change that can occur is the government coming in and forcing them to change by force? Sorry, I disagree. Thus I think all the activists who bitch about climate change, yet make no sacrifice in their own lives to that end, are huge hypocrites.

It's not a function of "evil corporations" versus everyone else; it is a function the fundamental design of an economic system that is predicated on endless growth and limitless availability of resources.
    Ironic since you above many others here have often been an advocate for that system of infinite growth. I have (in the past, not recently so far as I can recall) had many arguments with you where you go on about a need for an ever increasing population via immigration to replace/provide for current population, etc. The population can't just expand infinitely forever, with larger and larger subsequent generations needed to provide for the previous generations; but that's what you seemingly call(ed) for in immigration threads.