View Poll Results: How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

28 22.76%
  • I would be willing to cut my driving in half

24 19.51%
  • I would be willing to have power cut 4 hours a day

9 7.32%
  • No, such programs are not for me, let someone else do it

62 50.41%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    At least young people started to take things in their hands. But the standing of the vote (most votes: 'no such programs are not for me') shows how serious the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Or maybe just leave that to the experts? Or what, you think kids are experts who can give detialed solutions?
    I think if you want to protest about something, you should have an actual understanding of the fucking problem. Doesn't take an expert to outline some basic changes if they're so concerned. Especially if they're supposedly leading the show. Because that's all it is right now, a show.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    Everyone fucking understands climate change is a thing and a problem. People are calling out these kids for protesting so vaguely, demanding 'change' but absolutely no actual objectives, specific changes they want enacted. And if they have them, I can't find them and the media aren't reporting them.

Are they just about emissions? What's their stance on plastic pollution that combined with overfishing threatens to decimate fish stocks the world over? What's their alternative 'change' to our petroleum intensive agriculture, which is partially responsible for the destruction of insect populations and ecosystems? Are they just about mitigation, or are they promoting adaption to the inevitable changes that we've already incurred? Where do they want these adaptions, is it just flood defenses? What about depopulating floodplains to increase through-flow and flood lag time?

That's the complaint. They haven't even finished their highschool science and geography classes and are yelling vaguely about change, but contribute nothing to making a change.
    Because they know we need to do something, but they aren't the fucking experts on it, they are calling on the government do something.

Is it really so hard to even consider why a common person would protest without having to be an expert on the subject?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    I think if you want to protest about something, you should have an actual understanding of the fucking problem. Doesn't take an expert to outline some basic changes if they're so concerned. Especially if they're supposedly leading the show. Because that's all it is right now, a show.
    Or you protest so the government, with the help of the experts, do something about it. You don't need to be an expert to know the problems climate change causes.
    Is this like the first time you have ever seen a big protest? Should I tell you the French Yellow vests are also not all economists?

Try "First world students skip classes to get a free day off come up with bullshit excuse to do so". Because over here no students skipped classes. And if they did try teachers would be out with the straps and switches to get them back in to class as fast as they could run since we don't have time for that bullshit.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here's something we could do right now that would have a huge impact on climate change, drive our cars, buses, trucks on alternate days.

If you're license ends in an even number, you drive on even days, don't drive on odd days. If it ends in a odd number, you drive on odd days. Car pooling is fine and is expected.

Would you accept and follow such a program?

How about the power company turns the electricity off for 4 hours a day? Like from 5pm to 9pm?

How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?
    next time they want to bring awareness to climate change, they can go outside in blizzard to study instead of staying inside in a massive heated building, or go outside and study in +100 degree weather instead of staying inside in a massive air conditioned building.

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    At least young people started to take things in their hands. But the standing of the vote (most votes: 'no such programs are not for me') shows how serious the problem is.
    thats the attitude of a lot of people bringing awareness of the problem. they go to Cancun or some other tropical paradise on plane to have a luxurious vacation type convention, right next to a village barely getting by on what they have.
    Last edited by zhero; 2019-03-16 at 06:00 PM.

Oh look protesters protesting instead of actually doing something about what they are protesting about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Magically? No. Legislatively? Yes. Case in point: The current Federal Government has a deal going to start up a brand new coal mine. The government is also currently looking at creating more coal-fire power plants. Instead they could be looking at the renewable sector, getting things like solar and wind with much more effecient storage methods. Instead the government is sadly too much in the pocket of the mining industry.

This is a case where the government could make a significant, positive change.

Can you back up this claim with evidence? In 2015, China was at the top, but the US was second, followed by India, Russia, Japan and Germany. (Source)

The US has been reducing it's CO2 emissions since the 1980's while China has been increasing rapidly over that time and yet the US has not seen a decrease in power output over that time. It is almost as if the US has been developing more environmentally friendly energy that can meet demand for some time and continues to do so with or without political activists or massive legislation.

As for the source you requested, I'll see if I can find it, but it is based off the rates of change in emissions. The US is decreasing as is most of Europe, while the developing world is very rapidly increasing. Just fast forward to see where most of the change will come from in the coming decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    Scientists are urging us to act now, as we only have about two years before we cross that point of no return. Telling students to finish their schooling and go through university as some sort of solution is stupid. That limit will get crossed before many of these graduate high school.

And even then, they can still be a scientist, but governments aren't listening to the scientists now!
    What actions are these scientist screaming for? Screaming for government to "do something" is not a solution. What is your/their solution? How are they going to help the environment, leaflets? PowerPoint presentations?

Personally, I would like to see and expansion of nuclear power as it is the cleanest and most cost effective energy source. This is the best solution right now. As for the future, the holy grail would be batteries/energy storage that utilize superconducting since it would immediately make solar and wind actually economically viable, but that is still a ways off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Try "First world students skip classes to get a free day off come up with bullshit excuse to do so". Because over here no students skipped classes. And if they did try teachers would be out with the straps and switches to get them back in to class as fast as they could run since we don't have time for that bullshit.
    They wont have any time if climate change does not get taken seriosly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Oh look protesters protesting instead of actually doing something about what they are protesting about.
    Those kids can't do anything beside protest, do you even know how this works?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    And how much are they paying you?
    Who is they? The global temp has gone down. We can not legislate change in weather. The climate models have been proven wrong again and again. Why is the solve to global warming more government, taxes, and reduction in the standard of living for 99% of the planet while the 1% do whatever they like?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    Most students in first world countries don't particularly care enough to go to these protests, it's always a fringe group, like the environmentalists club... or generally kids whose teachers are environmentalists.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by White Goodman1 View Post
    Yeah it would be nice to have my fridge shut down for 4 hours everyday. I guess I could walk to work on some days. Just makes my 8h day into 14 hr day. I am up for this. Let's go back to walking and using horses.
    I already walk to work. I drive my car maybe 5 miles/week (basically just for grocery shopping), unless I'm taking a trip somewhere, which is a once or twice a year thing. I also have a Prius so it doesn't use that much gas even when I do drive. I have to fill my gas tank maybe 3 times/year unless I'm taking a 600 mile trip or something.

Because they know we need to do something, but they aren't the fucking experts on it, they are calling on the government do something.

Is it really so hard to even consider why a common person would protest without having to be an expert on the subject?

- - - Updated - - -

Or you protest so the government, with the help of the experts, do something about it. You don't need to be an expert to know the problems climate change causes.
    Is this like the first time you have ever seen a big protest? Should I tell you the French Yellow vests are also not all economists?
    Gonna hit you with a shock. Stuff is being done already, because we already had these protests and we already had policy enacted. Governments and experts have literally enacted policies to tackle it in the west. Now if they wanted to protest western governments to pressure Brazil, India, China, Russia and developing African/Asian countries, then sure, that's a pretty big issue. But a lot of what we're going to experience is going to be due to the lag time between emissions and impact.

And I don't want them all to be climatologists, I want them to know what changes they want to happen if they're protesting it. This vagueness, from leadership will be a massive hindrance to them. I want to not drown or cook as much as the next guy, honestly, but if someones going to go and protest a well acknowledged issue that's being addressed, I want them to have something to offer, i.e changes to see implemented. It isn't a big ask.

10+ Year Old Account
    We need change now, but hey, you continue to ignore reality.
    How are some kids taking off from class going to change anything?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Did change happen as a result of their walkout?
    The point is to make change happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Did change happen as a result of their walkout?
    Nothing will change. We shouldn’t make policy decisions based on the whims of children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Are you unfamiliar with protesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Beyond that China is investing a lot, your reasoning was we shouldn't do anything because others need to do more, how much more exactly? When is it going to be enough?

Bullshit, absolute bullshit. The green energy sector is on the rise while all the rest including nuclear power plants are on its way out they are financially unstable. There is also a difference between regulations that work gradually and instant change. Poor nations indeed don't have these funds why its important to aid them.

It helps when you stop thinking in extremes, in all or nothing. You'll end with less fear of change.
    The US has been reducing it's CO2 emissions since the 1980's while China has been increasing rapidly over that time and yet the US has not seen a decrease in power output over that time. It is almost as if the US has been developing more environmentally friendly energy that can meet demand for some time and continues to do so with or without political activists or massive legislation. The west needs to use its wealth to expand and develop these technologies to the point of economic viability so they can be adopted by the developing world. That is how to tackle climate change an there is nothing "extreme" about that.

The green energy sector is not "on the rise". It is completely dependent of government subsidies to exist and the terrible environmental impacts of wind and solar are also beginning to show. Wind loses efficiency the more windmills are clustered together and are death traps for birds and bats. Solar utilizes rare earth metals in their panels that require very environmentally unfriendly mining that is mostly done in China and Africa (the US plans to develop its own more environmentally friendly rare earth mine soon though) and they do not last as long as initially thought. Both suffer from being only available at certain times causing grid instability.

Your aversion to nuclear demonstrates that this issue is, to you, as with many others like these students, simply a push to increase government power. Nuclear is, currently, the only viable relatively clean energy which can hopefully fill the void until wind, solar, and geothermal can get their acts together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you unfamiliar with protesting?
    I remember when high school kids took off protest a school shooting years ago....how much change did that cause?

I think it was for the Sandy Hook...and umm...what happened in the last year or two? Some of the worst school shootings ever
    Last edited by Kithelle; 2019-03-16 at 06:19 PM.

Climate change is a natural thing, saying it is man-made is just stupid, just like flat-earthers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    The fact you're talking about it demonstrates how activism changes things.

It changes the scope and subject of political discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.