View Poll Results: How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?

Voters
123. This poll is closed
  • Need more info

28 22.76%
  • I would be willing to cut my driving in half

24 19.51%
  • I would be willing to have power cut 4 hours a day

9 7.32%
  • No, such programs are not for me, let someone else do it

62 50.41%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The fact you're talking about it demonstrates how activism changes things.

It changes the scope and subject of political discussion.
    Like the many protests of school shootings over the years by students has made wideswept gun control changes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Like the many protests of school shootings over the years by students has made wideswept gun control changes?
    America's byzantine obstacles preventing reform shouldn't be taken as an indication of the validity of activism as a political activity.

It's like saying that a handheld chisel is useless because it takes forever to rip up a slab of concrete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

99% of the students in these protests don't have a clue or give a fuck what's going on, it's just a good excuse to get out of class and post pictures of the protest on their social media to get some likes.

We've had protests every week here last few months, thousands and thousands are there yay. Last week there were 2 protests organised in different cities, but it was a holiday week for school, a 100 people for one and 20 for the other showed up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varjo410 View Post
    99% of the students in these protests don't have a clue or give a fuck what's going on
    Okay. Prove it.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    America's byzantine obstacles preventing reform shouldn't be taken as an indication of the validity of activism as a political activity.

It's like saying that a handheld chisel is useless because it takes forever to rip up a slab of concrete.
    Well let me ask you....do you use a chisel to rip up a slab of concrete? Is that chisel ever going to make a real dent? No....so you use something better and move on.

While the kids who walked out for gun control were probably mostly if not totally in it for the cause (which what they did affected nothing) there are probably lots of kids who will use this is a excuse for some free time.

These protests will accomplish nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Well let me ask you....do you use a chisel to rip up a slab of concrete? Is that chisel ever going to make a real dent? No....so you use something better and move on.
    You use the tools you have available to you.

These kids are too young to vote, and have no incomes to donate to political causes. All they have is their feet and their voices, and they're using them.

Your attitude just engenders lazy and bad citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    They wont have any time if climate change does not get taken seriosly.

- - - Updated - - -

Those kids can't do anything beside protest, do you even know how this works?
    Supply and demand, if these "kids" would actually put into practice limiting their energy consumption in all aspects of their life they would make a difference. This would then be reported on, others would pick up on what they are trying to do, and more would be swayed into limiting themselves and the cycle would continue.

Supply, production, and consumption drop.

An elementary "kid" would understand this.

By all means though, skip a day of school and protest for others to solve the problem for you. Then you can get others who will support you, but continue to do nothing as well except arguing on an internet gaming forum.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2019-03-16 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be long too late for anything other than drastic measures by the time most of us get our heads out of our asses. Dark days are ahead; enjoy these ones while you can because you won't be getting ones like them ever again.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2019-03-16 at 07:07 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks01 View Post
    Climate change deniers? I agree with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, lets blame the fucking kids and not the people who have the power to change things............

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, it showing who has a basic grasp on reality in this thread. Helped me add a few more people to the ignore list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Then you can get others who will support you, but continue to do nothing as well except arguing on an internet gaming forum.
    The cycle continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Did change happen as a result of their walkout?
    Maybe things really are hopeless.
    Maybe the US really WILL turn into the shithole country that Trump supporters talk so much about.

But at least these people are trying SOMETHING to get some attention to things.

You are correct in that it is only working a little bit, and the road ahead is very very long.
    The existence of this thread is proof that their walkouts are accomplishing SOMETHING.
    I agree that it is only a very very small step.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have no interest in any of the prescribed methods of fighting “climate change”.

Cities are stopping recycling because it’s too expensive; so there go all the years of sorting garbage. Fuel standards have almost tripled in my lifetime and you can no longer buy leaded gasoline. I hate seeing the landscape sprawling with windmills that kill migratory birds and are a horrible eyesore. I can’t take public transportation when none exists where I reside; besides, the people that ride buses in my nearest city are too damn gross to want to be near.

So this is what I’m going to do. I’m going to turn up my thermostat in winter, down in summer, drive my car, swim in pools, fly on airplanes, take cruises on horribly polluting mega ships, eat foods that use the most water during production, flush my toilet for a dirty tissue, I’ve stopped recycling and I won’t responsibly compost.

I am going to live a first world lifestyle because that’s what my ancestors and relatives worked their respective asses off for. If you want to be a caveman, a would be hermit, spout off like a hippie fine. I will not impose on your freedom to do so.

So stop asking me to curtail mine to suit your world view.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Students around the world slack off and skip class, accomplishing nothing instead of prioritizing their studies so that they can grow up to be someone who can actually contribute to real change.
    Yes, I'm sure in fifteen years they'll be in a great position to contribute to real change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Here's something we could do right now that would have a huge impact on climate change, drive our cars, buses, trucks on alternate days.

If you're license ends in an even number, you drive on even days, don't drive on odd days. If it ends in a odd number, you drive on odd days. Car pooling is fine and is expected.

Would you accept and follow such a program?

How about the power company turns the electricity off for 4 hours a day? Like from 5pm to 9pm?

How invested are you personally in fighting climate change?
    Kids aged 15-19 is the consumer group with the highest ammunt of spending money, solely for luxery.. At the same time, it's the same kids, protesting the "adults" are making the climate worse..

The irony is strong here...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Students around the world slack off and skip class, accomplishing nothing instead of prioritizing their studies so that they can grow up to be someone who can actually contribute to real change.
    "These lazy-ass kids with no money and debt are skipping class instead of learning as much as they can so they can grow up and fix problems that adults with actual income and ability aren't bothering with!"

Here here! Good-for-nothing ingrates. Brb going to go fish at my cottage and throw garbage everywhere and then complain my kids aren't picking it up after me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    I have no interest in any of the prescribed methods of fighting “climate change”.

Cities are stopping recycling because it’s too expensive; so there go all the years of sorting garbage. Fuel standards have almost tripled in my lifetime and you can no longer buy leaded gasoline. I hate seeing the landscape sprawling with windmills that kill migratory birds and are a horrible eyesore. I can’t take public transportation when none exists where I reside; besides, the people that ride buses in my nearest city are too damn gross to want to be near.

So this is what I’m going to do. I’m going to turn up my thermostat in winter, down in summer, drive my car, swim in pools, fly on airplanes, take cruises on horribly polluting mega ships, eat foods that use the most water during production, flush my toilet for a dirty tissue, I’ve stopped recycling and I won’t responsibly compost.

I am going to live a first world lifestyle because that’s what my ancestors and relatives worked their respective asses off for. If you want to be a caveman, a would be hermit, spout off like a hippie fine. I will not impose on your freedom to do so.

So stop asking me to curtail mine to suit your world view.
    Cool.

Please do not complain when we ask you to pay carbon taxation to subsidise the environmental impacts of your lifestyle, then. You're perfectly free to pursue that aspiration, but humanity has reached the point where such has to carry a premium.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Kids aged 15-19 is the consumer group with the highest ammunt of spending money
    [Citation Needed]

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Yes, I'm sure in fifteen years they'll be in a great position to contribute to real change.
    They'd better be cause we adults certainly aren't going to bother even though we have the means to do so now. It's the kids' fault, obviously.

*Belches and throws a beer can into the sea* Lazy little shits with their #trashtag and their ungrateful attitudes towards unpaid internships.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I say these girls should go into the hard sciences and work on the technological solutions to climate change. Unfortunately they'll probably end up in psychology, sociology, or journalism where they only complain about problems instead of solving them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I say these girls should go into the hard sciences and work on the technological solutions to climate change. Unfortunately they'll probably end up in psychology, sociology, or journalism where they only complain about problems instead of solving them.
    What are you doing to resolve the problem of people not entering the STEM, rather than complaining about it?

15+ Year Old Account
    Cool.

Please do not complain when we ask you to pay carbon taxation to subsidise the environmental impacts of your lifestyle, then. You're perfectly free to pursue that aspiration, but humanity has reached the point where such has to carry a premium.
    That ever happens, we’re just going to start nailing hides to the wall. We own guns too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    That ever happens, we’re just going to start nailing hides to the wall.
    Cool story. You seem to be of the delusion that things aren't going to start requiring increasing levels of taxation and public infrastructure to sustain.

We own guns too.
    If the Bundy rach goons were anything to go by, colour me thoroughly unworried.