10+ Year Old Account
    Why the hell would a studio ever adapt anything off of an adaption of a source material, that's retarded.

Slime will most likely get a season 2, fully based off of the light novel. They probably don't give two shits about the manga and it has no bearing on their adaption of the source.

that happens all the time?

I would be seriously surprised if slime got another series before the manga has another 50+ chapters (or 25sh for 13 eps). Saying the manga has no bearing on the anime is odd when the anime stopped basically where the manga was at. If there's so much more light novel source material to adapt why not continue?

anyways I was mostly being an asshole saying there's no more manga to adapt to the guy who said there's tons more manga to adapt.

Is Slime finished because i want to marathon it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

for the actual content yes. there are going to be 2 more bonus episodes though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Is Slime finished because i want to marathon it.
    You can probaly skip last 4 episodes. And then watch them a week before new season.

10+ Year Old Account
    All this slime talk is ironic because

Slime s2 has been announced, airing in 2020.
    http://www.ten-sura.com/news/959/
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by Millhi View Post
    All this slime talk is ironic because

Slime s2 has been announced, airing in 2020.
    http://www.ten-sura.com/news/959/
    So they are not basing it on the manga only, just decided on purpose to go for this weird non event end? Im not sure this is better lol. At least since i keep up with the LN i know itll get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Why the hell would a studio ever adapt anything off of an adaption of a source material, that's retarded.

Slime will most likely get a season 2, fully based off of the light novel. They probably don't give two shits about the manga and it has no bearing on their adaption of the source.
    Yet RIP Re:Zero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yet RIP Re:Zero.
    That one makes more sense. It's a lot more realistic to adapt from the official source material that is most widely circulated, and probably also a contractual thing as well to help sell that official source. Plus, a LN adaption of the WN ends up being the more "official" telling of the story anyways. Has there been a show adapted from a WN that had a LN adaption that wasn't used as an anime source?
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2019-03-17 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Re:zero caught up with the LN releases so its sort of normal for it not getting a second season just yet.
    Maybe in due time
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    it sucked anyways
    Overrated indeed, but it most certainly DID NOT "suck". I think the problem with the series is that for many people, Re:Zero doesn't hold a broad enough appeal. Usually a series has a lot of different things going for it, be it a rich setting, an intriguing jigsaw puzzle plot, choreographed fight scenes and/or great animation, the feeling of grandeur of seeing politics unfold that affect the entire world, flashy yet multi-dimmensional characters, romance, interesting themes, and so on. For example, look at Fate's broad appeal:

• Hero's journey appeal of seeing Emiya struggle to become a Hero of Justice, with the self-sacrifice dissection resonating with a lot of people
    • Under-represented urban-fantasy setting about mages fighting each other in the modern world
    • Unique "mythological heroes are brought to life in our world and fight each other" premise
    • Intriguing puzzle plot revolving around the identity and motivations of the characters and their plans
    • Really fun characters that can be analyzed
    • Romance
    • Very good fight scenes
    • Iconic character designs by Takashi Takeuchi and gorgeous color work by Emi Chiba, and ofcourse, Ufotable's top tier art and animation
    • Memorable music by Yuki Kajiura and Hideyuki Fukasawa

That said, there is an arguement to be made that it is unfair to compare a series with several anime adaptations that have allowed people to get attached to the franchise over the course of a decade, so I'll draw another comparison with The Vision of Escaflowne, which only got 26 episodes and was even botched by episode 21, yet is fondly remembered:

• Intriguing plot to find out Hitomi's connection with Gaia and how she will affect the world
    • Incredibly compelling deuteragonists and interesting side characters like Melerna, Dryden, and Jajuka
    • A love triangle that could go either way, wish fulfillment of being a woman adored by gallant young men and healing their broken hearts.
    • Incredibly cool and unique setting pieces like the Guymelefs (steampunk, marionette mechas that wield swords and are draped in capes), massive airships built upon floating rocks, and the Empire's inventions.
    • Anticipation in seeing more of the world
    • Surface-level deep geopolitics but it very much feels like the events of the story are affecting the entire world, makes the story feel urgent and the actions of the characters grand
    • Lots of tension as the Empire actively pursues the heroes, who are constantly gaining and losing allies.
    • Timeless art and animation that puts most anime series releasing today to shame.
    • Iconic fight, tension filled sword fights between medieval mecha.

Compare that to Re:Zero

• Presents the protagonist as a selfish ass, saying "you should be ashamed for wanting that girl or trying to be a hero!"
    • Protagonist is utterly powerless and doesn't visibly affect the world, affects the world not through hard-earned skills but through enough trial and error, tension is diminished as the character has a safety net, no escapist fantasy of getting a girl.
    • Intriguing plot revolving around Subaru and the WoE but it moves at a snail's pace
    • Generic setting with nothing that makes it standout.
    • Generic "plasticy" LN adaptation art style and average animation.
    • The action is nothing to write home about.

Hitomi wasn't interesting as Subaru in Escaflowne, but it had several other factors going for it, and ofcourse Fate checks all of the boxes. Audiences are more forgiving if Hitomi isn't really that interesting or if some other aspect of the show rubs them the wrong way, because the overwhelming number of positive attributes going for the show will keep them there. For Re:Zero, if you're not invested in Subaru's character breakdown, then you likely won't stick around, as there is little else to stay around for.

- - - Updated - - -

One final comparison: Touken Ranbu: Katsugeki, which only got 13 episodes.

• Interesting premise of our heroes being sent back in time to stop history from being changed (though there was a huge missed opportunity in developing the Historic Revisionists as characters and fleshing out their motivations, but...)
    • Surprisingly delves into the ethics of changing time when our heroes become emotionally compromised and find their own reasons to step in and revise history
    • Bromance and a feeling of comraderie
    • Great choreographed fight scenes
    • Iconic character designs and gorgeous color work by Emi Chiba, and ofcourse, Ufotable's top tier art and animation
    • Bone-chilling main theme by Hideyuki Fukasawa.

Katsugeki doesn't nail any of these ideas down as a 10/10, but altogether they made up for an incredibly enjoyable show, of which there is a lot for me to talk about.

When I first watched Re:Zero, I was turned off because it only had Subaru's story going for it, which I was not invested in. Without all of those other appeals, there was no reason for me to stick around. It wasn't until I played through the Trails of Cold Steel games that I gained an appreciation for Re:Zero's dissection of Subaru. Thus, when I returned to it with that in mind, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Even still, there is little else to discuss about the show aside from Subaru's journey. In that regard, I think Re:Zero nails Subaru's journey, but if you're not invested in that, then you're going to be thinking "what's all the fuss about? It's 'okay' at best".

10+ Year Old Account

Re:Zero will almost definitely be getting a S2, probably in a years time.

The main cast members will be popping up in the comedy isekai crossover show and they've only a short while ago put out the Memory Snow OVA and its being followed by "Frozen Bonds" which is a sidequel/prequel to main events.

There will be easily enough content and future direction for S2 next year and ground work has been laid to keep it fresh in people's minds.

Aside from that, I'll avoid spoiler territory, but S2 is basically where the story starts proper, with all the groundwork and layout setup in S1.

S2 has answers for almost all questions, as well as advancing characters and situations hugely. The main theme of the series is the psychology of the characters involved. Subaru is designed specifically to be unlikeable because he comes from a real place.

He's just a guy, who's shut himself off from society and is suddenly thrust into a fantasy world adventure that gives him no easy benefits and a power that makes him suffer to the point of his mind breaking to utilise it.

I wouldn't call his journey one of trial and error, it's one of learning and understanding. He doesn't randomly try things with each attempt, he tries to breakdown the situation, often finding there's more going on than he realised.

The reason for this is because the world is fully fleshed out and doesn't revolve around him. Instead he has to try and tilt the axis in a way that's more beneficial to himself.

The light novels have a series of prequel novels also, that relate to characters other than Subaru, laying ground work for the kingdom as shown in the series, some 10-30 years prior, covering events and character arcs of some of the older characters and displaying just what other people have been through.

I doubt most of these arcs will get adapted, though it would be great if they did, as they ground the world further and show just how interlinked various people and places really are.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2019-03-18 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    When I first watched Re:Zero, I was turned off because it only had Subaru's story going for it, which I was not invested in. Without all of those other appeals, there was no reason for me to stick around. It wasn't until I played through the Trails of Cold Steel games that I gained an appreciation for Re:Zero's dissection of Subaru.
    Just a bit curious about this one. How comes that you didn't get an appreciation for Subaru until after the Trails of Cold Steel games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Zootopia is getting the anime:

(this is from manga that is 2ND, just under promised neverland)

Its similar like Re: Zero

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Just a bit curious about this one. How comes that you didn't get an appreciation for Subaru until after the Trails of Cold Steel games?
    Whew, I'm struggling to resist the urge to tout how fantastic the Trails of Cold Steel games are, but I don't want to spoil them. I strongly urge you not to look the series up on its wiki or on TV Tropes, and instead enjoy the story for yourself. The quadrilogy centers around Rean Schwarzer, who is a deconstruction of your usual LN/JRPG protagonist, and that's the most I'll say without going into specifics. Steam page here. Don't look up the other games! Massive spoilers!

Geoff Thew made a video on the 'Trails series overall worldbuilding qualities, and it's spoiler free for Cold Steel.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-03-18 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Whew, I'm struggling to resist the urge to tout how fantastic the Trails of Cold Steel games are, but I don't want to spoil them. I strongly urge you not to look the series up on its wiki or on TV Tropes, and instead enjoy the story for yourself. The quadrilogy centers around Rean Schwarzer, who is a deconstruction of your usual LN/JRPG protagonist, and that's the most I'll say without going into specifics. Steam page here. Don't look up the other games! Massive spoilers!

[IMG]http://www.quickmeme.com/img/b9/b9ed012cb9770386e5ea985ac6ee74e6499bed4e260d40331898059362b4196b.jpg[ /IMG]

Geoff Thew made a video on the 'Trails series overall worldbuilding qualities, and it's spoiler free for Cold Steel.

[video=youtube;TaN2G-AEd9Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaN2G-AEd9Q[/ video]
    I don't see the comparison, nor does it make any sense. Unless you just mean that you realised characters don't have to be 2D.