Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    i wish the term "cultural appropriation" could be erased from our language.

no, corned beef and hash is gross. i've got a bit of irish in me, i'd never eat the stuff.

i don't really celebrate any holidays though. but, thinking about it, i suppose a baked potato would be nice for dinner tomorrow.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're just having Guinness stew. I don't really go overboard and don't really drink anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be working...so vending machine sandwich, water, and a snickers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So tomorrow is St Patrick's Day for those that weren't aware. Anyone planning on doing some cultural appropriation dinner of corned beef & cabbage tomorrow? My boyfriend and I are having corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes tomorrow. I still don't know for sure if I'm Irish or Scottish so it may or may not be cultural appropriation for me. He's Mexican so for him it is lol
    nope. that combo of food sounds gross. than again i hate cabbage and corned beef.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You realize cinco de mayo is an American thing right? Nobody in Mexico gives a shit about that day lol
    Personally, I prefer Cinco de Cuatro anyway.

I wanted to make Irish stew, but it's, like, really hard to get mutton here. So I scrapped the whole idea and had pasta instead. Did put in parsley, though.

corned beef and cabbage is disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    So tomorrow is St Patrick's Day for those that weren't aware. Anyone planning on doing some cultural appropriation dinner of corned beef & cabbage tomorrow? My boyfriend and I are having corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes tomorrow. I still don't know for sure if I'm Irish or Scottish so it may or may not be cultural appropriation for me. He's Mexican so for him it is lol
    For us, it is just another day. Though, I do find it interesting to read about some family traditions.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I would worry less about cultural appropriation and more about the idea that corned beef and cabbage sounds like a shit tier meal.

Why not make a basic Irish Stew like everyone is telling you here lol. So grab an onion, a carrot, couple of sticks of celery, a potato and a some beef or lamb. Add some herbage like tyme and bay then pour in a bottle of Guiness and you have something that you might actually enjoy eating. Finish with some dumplings or bread and toast with yet more Guiness.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...cultural appropriation...
    Really OP? Just eat the food you want to eat and stop with the ridiculousness. It's not like someone is going to hunt you down for eating potatoes.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

I'll be having meat with cabbage for this day

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm Irish in that I was born in Ireland, live in Ireland and have my Irish passport.

I have no idea how what you are planning to eat is cultural appropriation as I don't think it has much bearing on Ireland today. If that is the menu you have selected, it has little to do with Ireland and more to do with the American view of Ireland.

Remember, it often seems what Americans think of Ireland is at odds with what Ireland actually is. As far as I am aware there is no national menu for St.Patrick's Day that everyone follows, like Turkey on thanksgiving. Everyone just eats what they like.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2019-03-17 at 12:02 PM.

I am working this bank holiday weekend at Dublin Airport while everyone enjoys their day...

Bah humbug !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    No lie, I didn't even know corned beef + cabbage and shepherd pie were something Irish people ate on St. Patrick's Day. Those were fast budget meals we ate growing up.

Now I want some with some rye bread and mashed potatoes.
    We don't. St Patrick dinner isn't even a thing...

Anyone else have some Clancy Brothers & Tommy Makem Playing while their Corned Beef is cooking?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I am working this bank holiday weekend at Dublin Airport while everyone enjoys their day...

Bah humbug !

- - - Updated - - -

We don't. St Patrick dinner isn't even a thing...
    Many people just don't know that St. Patrick's Day was an American thing, first Celebrated in NYC in 1762, and that the Rise of use of Corned Beef, in the mid 19th Century, was only due to the inexpensive cost. It being the only thing that most Irish Immigrants could afford.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an actual sort of irish person what the fuck is corned beef and cabbage

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    I was planning a trip to Ireland with my grandmother
    to see where my family is buried but I don't think I even want to chance bumping into you
    Meh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    I have no idea how what you are planning to eat is cultural appropriation as I don't think it has much bearing on Ireland today. If that is the menu you have selected, it has little to do with Ireland and more to do with the American view of Ireland.
    Which is why the Cinco de Mayo comparison isn't completely off, since its all American fantasy.

El Grito is the real holiday.

Oh, and no, no special menu planned for me.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I did it all.

I made corn beef and cabbage, lamb stew and shepherds pies. I probably should have my cholesterol checked.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I would worry less about cultural appropriation and more about the idea that corned beef and cabbage sounds like a shit tier meal.

Why not make a basic Irish Stew like everyone is telling you here lol. So grab an onion, a carrot, couple of sticks of celery, a potato and a some beef or lamb. Add some herbage like tyme and bay then pour in a bottle of Guiness and you have something that you might actually enjoy eating. Finish with some dumplings or bread and toast with yet more Guiness.
    The cultural appropriation part was a joke since it seems so many people today get offended when someone not of that culture/heritage does something that is seen as part of that culture. As for the stew, we actually had beef stew with Irish soda bread on Tuesday so I didn't want to repeat it again today.

Eight Hours to cook, ten minutes to devour. Corned Beef, cabbage, potatoes, and carrots, cooked in a Black and Tan (12oz. Cream Ale and 12oz. of Guinness) was a success. Happy Irish Heritage Day.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cultural appropriation part was a joke since it seems so many people today get offended when someone not of that culture/heritage does something that is seen as part of that culture. As for the stew, we actually had beef stew with Irish soda bread on Tuesday so I didn't want to repeat it again today.
    im 50% Italian, probably a quarter Irish with the rest being mutt lol (German Scottish and Native American). I claim the Irish though because My biological father was a deadbeat who bolted on my mom, so I was raised by my Irish Catholic grandmother, so in all intents and purposes I claim my Irish heritage due to how I was raised.