Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My video card died and I need recommendations for a new one

My old card was a GTX 560, but one of the capacitors on it blew out so now I need a new card. I’m also wondering if I should upgrade other parts of my computer while I’m at it. I have a strict $800 budget and I’d like to spend even less if possible. I mostly just play WoW and browse the web.

Here’s my system overview:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 [OEM]

CPU: Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (8-8-8-20)

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B75M-D3V (Intel Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz)

Graphics: HP 2511 (1920x1080)
    Intel Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (Gigabyte) [I removed the video card and am using onboard graphics in the mean time]

Storage: 931GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA)

Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS90 ATA Device

Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

A few more things: the power supply I have is 650 watts. I don't need a new case, hard drive, or peripherals. Also, I really don’t want to “upgrade” to Windows 10 if I can help it. The more I hear about it, the more I want to avoid it.
    Last edited by draconicman; 2019-03-18 at 05:00 AM.

"Ahhh ahhhhh, ahhh, yeah, ahhhh, YEAH, YEAH, RIGHT THERE, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhh" Jenna Jameson

10+ Year Old Account
    If you just want a new GPU:
    Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($195.99 @ Newegg)
    That should cover you for 1080p gaming for a while to come

Considering your current CPU though, I'd honestly also recommend upgrading those:
    CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
    or

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: MSI - B360 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($87.31 @ Amazon)

In games they'll perform about the same, with WoW preferring the intel CPU slightly due to faster IPC, but most other things would prefer the AMD CPU due to more threads.

Finally, a new PSU probably wouldn't be a bad idea depending on how old your current one is:
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($63.98 @ Newegg)
    this will comfortably run your system

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post

Tbh, he doesn't need to get a i5, the i3 8100 is way more than enough for wow. With that cpu, and 1050 ti, I would stay way above 60 fps in raids on med setting, and in the world be around 70 on ultra while staying under 40% cpu usage. I could stream on that cpu as well no problem. If he's just playing wow, it's not worth the extra 80 dollars or so when he could get othe things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    Tbh, he doesn't need to get a i5, the i3 8100 is way more than enough for wow. With that cpu, and 1050 ti, I would stay way above 60 fps in raids on med setting, and in the world be around 70 on ultra while staying under 40% cpu usage. I could stream on that cpu as well no problem. If he's just playing wow, it's not worth the extra 80 dollars or so when he could get othe things.
    More faster cores is never a bad idea if you got the money for it, and even with the 8400, it's still comfortably under his budget.

That said, yeah, he can go with the 8100 and be fine, for now. 4c/4t is starting to be too little in some games, but should be fine in WoW

If I replace the motherboard, I'd need to buy another Windows license because my current one is OEM. I really don't want Windows 10 if I can help it. Is there any hope for me?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draconicman View Post
    If I replace the motherboard, I'd need to buy another Windows license because my current one is OEM. I really don't want Windows 10 if I can help it. Is there any hope for me?
    If you're happy with current cpu performance you don't have to upgrade. Microsoft might also throw you a bone if you send them an email.

Alternatively, you could look at grey market sites for a win7 key

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirM View Post

Do not at all buy one of those. They are GTS/gt/gtx 450/550's with a flashed bios to tell the system it's a 960. It is a scam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rygorr View Post
    Do not at all buy one of those. They are GTS/gt/gtx 450/550's with a flashed bios to tell the system it's a 960. It is a scam.
    At that price I'd also feel a bit wary..

At that price I'd also feel a bit wary..
    Yup, At least ten tech youtubers have done videos on those fake "gtx 960's", Most ended up being 2010 era mid range nvidia gpus, some of the fake cards are old radeons from the hd 5000 series.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can transfer your OEM key easy. All you have to do is format the drive as usual, reinstall with the same key and activate the key over the phone It's mostly automated. I've re-used my OEM across four entirely new builds without problem.

The only way you'd nuke the key is if you installed it across multiple builds and tried to activate more than one at a time.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

7+ Year Old Account
    I replaced my MB/CPU/GPU and kept my OEM win7 key without any problem. Really, as long as you aren't trying to use the same key on two different MB/CPU's at the same time, your SHOULDN'T run into a problem with it.

What is wrong with windows 10? I run it on my streaming pc and my gaming pc and have 0 issues and i know alot of people on windows 10 with 0 issues. I am actually liking it over windows 7 and windows 7 will no longer be supported by microsoft so new security updates and whatnot will not be coming.

You could just run Windows 10 and get the license later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VladimirM View Post
    That is 100% fake

If you just want a new GPU:
    Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($195.99 @ Newegg)
    That should cover you for 1080p gaming for a while to come
    That includes 2 games as well. I think it's any 2 of Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Devil May Cry 5, and Resident Evil 2 but I am not 100% sure.

If you keep an eye on /r/buildapcsales then you can pick RX580's up a bit cheaper at around the $175 mark.

It always depends on how much is your budget. Be careful with ebay offers, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    That includes 2 games as well. I think it's any 2 of Tom Clancy's The Division 2, Devil May Cry 5, and Resident Evil 2 but I am not 100% sure.

If you keep an eye on /r/buildapcsales then you can pick RX580's up a bit cheaper at around the $175 mark.
    Is it true that if you buy a video card that includes a game bundle and decide to return the video card for a refund the price of the game bundle will be deducted from your refund?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkhan View Post
    Is it true that if you buy a video card that includes a game bundle and decide to return the video card for a refund the price of the game bundle will be deducted from your refund?
    Depends on the store, I believe

These are terrible times for graphics cards to die with the very high prices and all.

If I were you I would go for a used GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 1070 Ti or GTX 1080.
    "Every country has the government it deserves."
    Joseph de Maistre (1753 – 1821)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amalaric View Post
    These are terrible times for graphics cards to die with the very high prices and all.

If I were you I would go for a used GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti, GTX 1070, GTX 1070 Ti or GTX 1080.
    Prices are coming down, they're way cheaper than a year ago.
    That said, used is an option as long as you can check it works before you buy, and get the receipt