Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    I was in the project stream beta and it felt virtually identical to play on xbox. And I was using wifi, so I'd imagine with a direct connection the difference will be impossible to tell.

And this is definitely not a Game Pass challenger they aren't the same thing at all. This is an xcloud/shadow/psnow challenger if anything

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    I highly highly doubt it. Gaming has only just tipped more towards buying digital game sales this generation let alone streaming games and I think you vastly overestimate how good streaming is going to get, also, these people who can't afford physical hardware will most likely not be able to afford a sub fee for this or even an ISP with a consistent internet connection to play. Streaming games is just the worst.

On top of all of this. You don't even own anything. That's the worst part of all of this.
    You haven't owned most games for a very long time. You own an entitlement.

Here's the thing... The internet infrastructure around the world is going to change significantly in the next few years. 5G is a significantly bigger upgrade than the 3g -> 4g upgrade. Places with crap internet are going to be connected with low latency, high speed 5G networks.

9 years is a really long time in regards to technology.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    I was in the project stream beta and it felt virtually identical to play on xbox. And I was using wifi, so I'd imagine with a direct connection the difference will be impossible to tell.

And this is definitely not a Game Pass challenger they aren't the same thing at all. This is an xcloud/shadow/psnow challenger if anything
    Do you live in a city? If not, I wonder if they're using some sort of predictive modeling.
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 07:26 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Well, that's why I think Microsoft's attempts at this will be better received. Google has no backup if the network goes down... X-Cloud will offer a lower resolution game if the internet goes out.
    I still dont find that acceptable. Have youbplayed any old games on a 4k tv? Yikes

Gamepad looks awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I still dont find that acceptable. Have youbplayed any old games on a 4k tv? Yikes
    You may not, but the vast majority of people that just want to play a game won't care. We are probably not the target. The play with all of these services is mass market that may not want to throw down money for another dedicated box.

I just started playing Mass Effect again on a 4k monitor... Yikes...
    Last edited by kaelleria; 2019-03-19 at 07:32 PM.

WTS my left nut for proper broadband... sick of this crappy mobile broadband that often gives shit download speeds, as in not even 1mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    WTS my left nut for proper broadband... sick of this crappy mobile broadband that often gives shit download speeds, as in not even 1mbps.
    Give it a few years for 5G to roll out.

This is not a short term play.
    Everything google does is a short term play. They abandon products faster then any other company if they aren't smashing successes from the get go.

You may not, but the vast majority of people that just want to play a game won't care. We are probably not the target.

I think they will and do care. I don't think this magic game streaming audience who exists but can't afford ps4 is real. I think it is the same pipe dream of casual gamers consoles have been chasing since the Wii. Audience is fickle and doesn't stick around long in the past. Never forget the Kinect.

I think this magical audience of money strapped casuals can be appealed to much easier on a cell phone, and they may not be the type to set down in front of a TV and play a console for a decade. That would make them hardcore gamers who would in turn hate game streaming.

Give it a few years for 5G to roll out.
    People are advocating against 5G because of it being short ranged, requiring amplifying... which is supposedly harmful. :/

https://twitter.com/michaelphigham/s...37760/photo/1?

Even on their own demo displays(that probably have a server a block away knowing google) it's not looking hot lol...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    This is the future of most gaming hardware I reckon. Microsoft is doing something similar as far as I’m aware and Sony already have something in this vein with PSNow.

I like my €3000 desktop and have been using PC's since the 386 days... no way I would just want to stream games on some dataserver..

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I think they will and do care. I don't think this magic game streaming audience who exists but can't afford ps4 is real. I think it is the same pipe dream of casual gamers consoles have been chasing since the Wii. Audience is fickle and doesn't stick around long in the past. Never forget the Kinect.

I think this magical audience of money strapped casuals can be appealed to much easier on a cell phone, and they may not be the type to set down in front of a TV and play a console for a decade. That would make them hardcore gamers who would in turn hate game streaming.
    Part of the play with these types of services is getting these games on phones and tablets. It it gets reliable enough and is available on something like the switch, you'll get customers. The current gaming footprint is not all the gamers that could potentially use a service like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Planetdune View Post
    I like my €3000 desktop and have been using PC's since the 386 days... no way I would just want to stream games on some dataserver..
    I'd 100% stream a random xbox game or PS4 game if it were available rather than buying an entire console just to play it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    This is the future of most gaming hardware I reckon. Microsoft is doing something similar as far as I’m aware and Sony already have something in this vein with PSNow.
    The issue with PSNow is latency and the fact the titles are lacking. If they had things like Horizon Zero Dawn or God Of War, it'd be worth subscribing to for a few months.

15+ Year Old Account
    You may not, but the vast majority of people that just want to play a game won't care. We are probably not the target. The play with all of these services is mass market that may not want to throw down money for another dedicated box.

People will absolutley care if theyre playing a game in like 4k and changes to like 360p or whatever. It would look horrid

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    People will absolutley care if theyre playing a game in like 4k and changes to like 360p or whatever. It would look horrid
    IIRC they went to 720p in offline mode... Not great, but not awful either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG06H7IQ9Aw

New Digital Foundry video on it. Haven't gotten far in but apparently it's, unsurprisingly, not looking like the tech (mainly internet) is there yet.

Part of the play with these types of services is getting these games on phones and tablets. It it gets reliable enough and is available on something like the switch, you'll get customers. The current gaming footprint is not all the gamers that could potentially use a service like this.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd 100% stream a random xbox game or PS4 game if it were available rather than buying an entire console just to play it.

- - - Updated - - -

The issue with PSNow is latency and the fact the titles are lacking. If they had things like Horizon Zero Dawn or God Of War, it'd be worth subscribing to for a few months.
    I get what you are saying. I'm not trying to be obtuse.....but what are they going to do, make the tablet hover in the air in front of their eyes while they play on the controller? The controller on the switch attaches to the side to combat that. Will they have to play these games on a touchscreen? I don't know what the solution to that is, unless you have to play at a table with the tablet set up and the controller separate and in your hand.

How will they play on the bus? None of this is explained. Touch screen is not an acceptable controller solution. If they have to buy a tablet with controller ports, then that IS hardware. How can a tablet be like the switch?

I know these things seem insignificant, but part of the beauty of the Switch is that all these problems are solved for you. I guess you could epoxy the controller to the tablet, or buy a big bulky controller case(or just buy a switch).

I understand we should give it time to evolve, but to me it has no answers to these questions right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    I get what you are saying. I'm not trying to be obtuse.....but what are they going to do, make the tablet hover in the air in front of their eyes while they play on the controller? The controller on the switch attaches to the side to combat that. Will they have to play these games on a touchscreen? I don't know what the solution to that is, unless you have to play at a table with the tablet set up and the controller separate and in your hand.

How will they play on the bus? None of this is explained. Touch screen is not an acceptable controller solution. If they have to buy a tablet with controller ports, then that IS hardware. How can a tablet be like the switch?

I know these things seem insignificant, but part of the beauty of the Switch is that all these problems are solved for you. I guess you could epoxy the controller to the tablet, or buy a big bulky controller case(or just buy a switch).

I understand we should give it time to evolve, but to me it has no answers to these questions right now.
    They literally showed us how it would work with a phone... This is how it could work on a tablet...

Also... the switch is a tablet. A highly specialized one, but its a tablet.

For phones, they literally showed us that.

7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Do you live in a city? If not, I wonder if they're using some sort of predictive modeling.
    I live in New Hampshire, in a pretty small town.