Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It being on the Epic store doesn't bother me at all. It looks good, and if it continues to look good as we get closer to release, I'll buy it. Simple as that.

People take Steam loyalty too far.

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    It being on the Epic store doesn't bother me at all. It looks good, and if it continues to look good as we get closer to release, I'll buy it. Simple as that.

Yeah, I get being miffed at a semi-exclusivity deal, but why this blind loyalty towards Steam? Valve did the exact same shit Epic is doing to establish their platform in the first place, and tons of games released both previously and now require Steam as well. It's no less of a DRM platform masquerading as a storefront and also uses similar semi-exclusivity deals (like with the Master Chief Collection being available only on Steam and the Microsoft front if memory serves).

I like a comment I saw on Youtube about that, it's like PC gamers have joined in on the stupid ass us-vs-them console war. Except at least they abuse each other over 4-500 dollar purchases while we argue over which desktop shortcut to click on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sucks about releasing on Epic store as well and the consequences of doing so. But I don;t blame the devs, I blame Steam for not doing anything to combat it or trying to win them back, they just letting this happen, Steam has got to a point where it doesnt care about games, just the money they make. Unless Steam starts going bankrupt then'll they start doing something.

Maybe I'll still get it, but I am not sure on the reliability of Epic's store. Never brought anything from it, anyone know how good the service is compared to Steam?

I already have Origin, Battlenet, Steam, and GoG so why not add another lol
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-21 at 12:29 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I'm not loyal to Steam per se, but I'd prefer my games to all be in one place rather than spread out amongst 5 different stores. That's really my main issue. It's not as the Ubisoft store though, where you launch the game in Steam and it launches the Ubisoft launcher, which you then have to log in to to finally launch your game... ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Sucks about releasing on Epic store as well and the consequences of doing so. But I don;t blame the devs, I blame Steam for not doing anything to combat it or trying to win them back, they just letting this happen, Steam has got to a point where it doesnt care about games, just the money they make. Unless Steam starts going bankrupt then'll they start doing something.

Maybe I'll still get it, but I am not sure on the reliability of Epic's store. Never brought anything from it, anyone know how good the service is compared to Steam?

I already have Origin, Battlenet, Steam, and GoG so why not add another lol
    I can add to that uPlay and standalones for Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen, Mechwarrior Online and Minecraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    I'm not loyal to Steam per se, but I'd prefer my games to all be in one place rather than spread out amongst 5 different stores. That's really my main issue. It's not as the Ubisoft store though, where you launch the game in Steam and it launches the Ubisoft launcher, which you then have to log in to to finally launch your game... ugh.
    I mean, most launchers save credentials. And you can still launch games from other launchers through Steam if you want, you just need to add the executable file to Steam. It's not native, but it'll still launch and give you the Steam overlay etc. Plus there are some programs that apparently work as "universal launchers" if you really don't like needing to open a few different launchers.

Hell, you can just add all your shortcuts to a single folder like we did in ye-olden-days before launchers even existed : P

I'd have less issues with the Epic Store if their game client was doing botherline illegal stuff like collecting info about your steam account without permission.

Source
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

On one hand, ugh Epic Store.

On the other, Valve hasn't been much better and I think are just sleeping on their ass doing nothing of note so I can go either way.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, most launchers save credentials. And you can still launch games from other launchers through Steam if you want, you just need to add the executable file to Steam. It's not native, but it'll still launch and give you the Steam overlay etc. Plus there are some programs that apparently work as "universal launchers" if you really don't like needing to open a few different launchers.

Hell, you can just add all your shortcuts to a single folder like we did in ye-olden-days before launchers even existed : P
    That works fine for games that are already installed, not so much if they're currently not and you're just checking to see what you have available. There's things like background patching etc. I can maybe get it all working across stores if I put in enough effort, but it's easier just to stick to 1.

I don't even buy most of my games on Steam anymore, it's cheaper to get them elsewhere. But they still come with Steam keys, which is nice and convenient.

For this particular game it might be interesting enough that I'm willing to put in the extra effort, but I'd prefer not to have to !

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/stat...23193138618369

Epic store exclusive.

Well fuck this game then.
    huh was kinda interested in this but screw getting any more launchers. maybe ill pirate it and buy it after the 12 mouth gate is gone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    You'd rather continue throwing money at Valve, I take it? Despite the fact that they're terrible at policing their own store, don't have any hint of a spine, and don't even make games anymore?
    id very much rather throw my money at value, screw any company that wants to enforce exclusivity on pc gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post

id very much rather throw my money at value, screw any company that wants to enforce exclusivity on pc gaming.
    Valve is a poor choice to throw money at then, considering they have an identical deal with Microsoft for the upcoming Master Chief Collection (only available on Steam and the Microsoft store).

GoG is literally the only sales platform that doesn't do exclusivity, apart from them everyone is just different shades of the exact same practices.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Valve is a poor choice to throw money at then, considering they have an identical deal with Microsoft for the upcoming Master Chief Collection (only available on Steam and the Microsoft store).

GoG is literally the only sales platform that doesn't do exclusivity, apart from them everyone is just different shades of the exact same practices.
    I didn't actually know about the halo thing or that GOG even existed, ill keep that in mind for future purchases.

- - - Updated - - -

know what i miss, disc. it was so much better when i could just buy a fable or NV disc and didn't have to worry about bloody launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Not sure how you think this refutes my post...
    My point is that it's shitty the game will release only on one platform that will have to go through another installation and account creation. Steam still has the largest part of my game library, I know it's neither DRM free and Valve has had some warranted criticisms recently. One of my biggest pet peeves with console releases in the past is timed exclusives, something that has zero technical reason for existing other than Sony/MS and (now Epic games) giving monetary incentives to screw over the other platforms base.

T2 had zero issues in releasing their past games on Steam, why restrict it to some new platform?

Have zero loyalty to Steam, I have a distaste for this forced practice. If Epic Games wants to compete, it should be on the software features not holding onto other dev's games.
    Last edited by kail; 2019-03-21 at 01:45 AM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Epic games store? Sign me up, sick of Steam's monopoly in this market, it's about time we get some competition.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Epic games store? Sign me up, sick of Steam's monopoly in this market, it's about time we get some competition.
    Well, good news then. Epic's conveniently already scanned your computer for identifying personal information and created an account for you! Don't worry about paying either, they've already seen your post and taken out fees from your credit card... umm... after you agree to the TOS, of course, nothing shady going on here.

But yeah, I was kinda looking forward to this game, but not to the point that I was going to get it immediately at launch. A year seems like a long time to wait before release, but it tends to fly right by after the "big launch" unless its a complete garbage fire making the news on a daily basis.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you were actually excited about this game and are not going to buy it because it's on the Epic store, that is simply idiotic. If you were on the fence, then fair enough.

Fanboys treating Steam like it's the second coming, when it also has a shitton of issues, like older games are being released on it without any QA and lot of them straight up not working or CTD every five minutes (Try play Fallout 3 GOTY on steam "right out of the box" , good luck with it.), lack of cloud save implementing in a ton of games, the store's video preview player is a shitfest for years now, and the list could go on.
    Also, they are screaming about "fuck epic exclusive", when it also releases on the Windows Store, it shows their autistic screech is because it isnt on steam at launch, not because it's "exclusive".
    Also, there's my suspicion the majority of those people is using a Windows activated by a certain pirate program, and thus it can cause problems with the Windows Store (same happened with FF15, lot of people cried on the MS forums about the game launch being wonky and it turned out them using pirated Windows is the problem).

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    If you were actually excited about this game and are not going to buy it because it's on the Epic store, that is simply idiotic.
    Not supporting spyware that buys exclusivity to force people to use it (while claiming that it's because of lower cut instead of literal exclusivity contracts) is not idiotic, it's the most rational thing to stop this shitty tactics.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

At least you can still buy it from the Windows Store too, which is lesser of the two evils.. So guess I'll do that. And am a freaking UE4 dev and I support their engine, but I can't stand behind them when they are pulling exclusivity deals that is ultimately bad for the consumers rather than leverage their better deal and offer the games $10 or 10€ off on their platform compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzony View Post
    Fanboys treating Steam like it's the second coming, when it also has a shitton of issues, like older games are being released on it without any QA and lot of them straight up not working or CTD every five minutes (Try play Fallout 3 GOTY on steam "right out of the box" , good luck with it.), lack of cloud save implementing in a ton of games, the store's video preview player is a shitfest for years now, and the list could go on.
    Also, they are screaming about "fuck epic exclusive", when it also releases on the Windows Store, it shows their autistic screech is because it isnt on steam at launch, not because it's "exclusive".
    Also, there's my suspicion the majority of those people is using a Windows activated by a certain pirate program, and thus it can cause problems with the Windows Store (same happened with FF15, lot of people cried on the MS forums about the game launch being wonky and it turned out them using pirated Windows is the problem).
    Has nothing to do with "loyalty" to steam. The EGS is simply a inferior launcher. Its missing a shitton of features that steam has, even if they came in with updates over the years. No cloud saves, it's security is sketchy at best (people getting hacked there quite often) etc. etc.

Simply buying exclusive deals for a year won't make your platform better - it will piss people off and actually stay away from your platform and those games aswell.

It also hooks into data from steam (Friendlist information, your games library and so on) and, apparently, on a ton of programs that are on your PC, to find out stuff. This even prompted Valve to take a closer look at all of this.

The only thing positive for it is the lower cut they take.

Also, do you really want ANOTHER launcher?

Edit: also your Fallout 3 example is just bad. This isn't simply a steam problem, its a BETHESDA problem for not having updated it at all and it ran like shit since the original Fallout 3 version came out. That is one of the reasons why GOG exists - to make old games actually run on newer hardware.

Im not going to buy the game simply because of the exclusive deal. I couldn't care less that it is on Windows Store, which I can use just fine since I've paid for my Windows 7 and upgraded to Win10. If Devs think that the shortterm income is worth going exclusive, be my guest. I personally won't support that in any way and will just wait for a year or two until its heavily discounted.

There is a reason why The Division 2 sold better on UPLAY than on EGS. Not just because Uplay is Ubisofts own platform, but since its pointless to buy it on something like EGS, which would have probably needed to install uplay anyway to run the game.
    Last edited by Darleth; 2019-03-21 at 04:29 AM.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.