View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Yada yada yada 30,000 jobs lost on the EU mainland because of consolidation thanks to Brexit. Oh well Londons gain I suppose....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-jobs-at-risk

Deep breaths eurochums, deep breaths indeed...
    Learn to read Dribbles, only says 10k not 30k.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You can negotiate new terms; you don't have to.
    Exactly.

You only need decision of your own country to accept EU treaty; you need decision by every EU country to allow leaving the very same treaty (while keeping others in place rather then Article 50 crash-out).

That's asymmetric.
    Uhm, yeah, no, it's not, because your countrys decision would have an impact on the other countries, therefore they need to have a voice in this else it would be asymmetric.

Don't you have, I don't know, team sports in russia? Like football, soccer, fuck it even swim teams would work. Try getting something for yourself that others don't get nor have to agree with and see how that'll work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    The hilarity of a former Republican from the US lecturing us on politics in our country. I will give you a clue, anything left of the party you used to support is not Marxism. The warped nature of US politics appears to have broken your ability to judge where on the political spectrum certain policies sit. What Corbyn has put together as an agreed Labour approach puts him left of centre, in general European terms. Still very much mainstream, however.

Maybe focus instead on fixing the hilarity that is the US healthcare system? That sucks up 20% of your GDP while leaving people without cover and bankrupting people unfortunate enough to fall ill. Or perhaps focus on fixing the infrastructure that you continue to neglect while pouring billions into your efforts to determine which country is bombed into anarchy next. Or even just fix your own political structure that still can't seem to get around the notion that if you keep electing the person getting fewer votes, something is wrong.

I'm sure there is a saying appropriate for this. Something about looking to your own house? Is that biblical, perhaps? Which is another thing you might want to look at fixing, that whole church and state separation thing. And don't even get me started on the whole "thoughts and prayers" approach to preventing mass shootings.

In short; maybe when you've fixed your own country a fair bit, we might take your views on how other countries should approach things seriously.

(P.S. I even managed to avoid mentioning Trump in all that. I know you hate him as well, but seriously, you are going to have a go at other countries politicians when you elected THAT? Geez. At least when May was put forward as leader in an election she didn't actually win).
    Oh don't get your panties in a twist over a little harmless hyperbole. I started my post suggesting that May and Corbyn get buried together to continue to torture each other in the afterlife, for crying out loud.

Jesus-tap dancing-Christ. In the US, if you dare insult Saint Sanders, the Bernie Bros descend on you like a fucking thunderstorm. In the UK, if you dare slander Red Jeremy, the Red Brigades go out on the prowl, looking for blood. Oh what planet did contemporary Westerners start becoming so positively antedeluvian in their cultish adoration for goddamn politicians? Politicians should be treated like toilet paper. You use them, then you flush them. But noooooo. Must defend the honor of Jeremy-fucking-Corbyn. Good grief.

But I must say, where do I get off? Well here's the fun part. You're well aware of what I think of Trump. But the US is doing pretty okay overall right now, no thanks to him. And there is little reason to think that'll change anytime soon. Oh yeah there is some real threats to our institutions, a corruption problem that seems to get worse and worse, and a lot that isn't getting done. But we're pretty much one of about three islands of stability in a world that's shaking badly right now and much of Trump's threat remains, again, theoretical. Trump is gone soon via his legal troubles, or in 2020, or latest, in 2024. Brexit though? Brexit is forever. Or at least, a very long time.

America fucked up oh so very badly in 2016 electing the worst American there is. But compared to the historic self-own that is Brexit? It's a day at the beach.

Oh and one more thing. Healthcare. I've watched for over a decade and change as NHS spending has eaten up more and more British Government spending and cut into other activities, from foreign service to defense to scientific investment. You can keep it. I'm glad you're, rightfully, proud of the NHS. But the UK has given up way, way, way too much in recent times to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    My understanding is he wants to nationalize the railway, which has performed very poorly since it was privatized. What else does he want to nationalize?
    The utilities.

German chancellor Angela Merkel said today said an extention would basicly be possible if the british parliament votes in favor of a deal. Otherwise there would be the possibilty for another EU summit next week to discuss the situation more.

I don't get it. The parliament voted against the deal. There is no way to vote again for that deal and there is no way May can ensure a positive outcome for the next version of the deal in the future. Merkel sounds like she wants a deal and is wanting to give an extension but at the same time is closing all doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Signed, I wish people were made more aware of this so they can add their signatures not everyone goes on the Gov websites everyday.
    Petition down for maintenance. Did you guys break the internet again?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuiking View Post
    Learn to read Dribbles, only says 10k not 30k.
    He's referering to the last part

As many as 30,000 positions could be at risk if a deal were reached, people familiar with the situation have said.
    Of course for Dribbles "could be" reads as "It's 101% certain that this will happen and this will be the lowest amount! PS: Rule Britannia!"

Dribbles reads all articlers like the devil reads the bible. A merger that is not caused by Brexit, however Brexit might easen the amount of unemployments caused by it.

“In Frankfurt alone, between 4,000 and 5,000 jobs could be cut in a merger,” said Stephan Szukalski, head of the DBV union and a member of Deutsche Bank’s supervisory board. Stefan Wittmann, a Verdi union representative who is on Commerzbank’s supervisory board, said that between 8,000 and 10,000 Frankfurt jobs are in danger.
    Lobby group Frankfurt Main Finance, for example, expects an orderly Brexit to result in 10,000 new jobs in Frankfurt. Helaba, a lender based in the city, sees 8,000 added positions over the years, while the Association of Foreign Banks in Germany puts the estimate at 3,000 to 5,000.
    So it might even out. Either way it's not caused by Brexit whatsoever; Brexit will soften the blow. So thanks for that Dribbles I guess. Somehow in his brain, loosing anywhere between 3.000-10.000 jobs in the banking sector to Frankfurt = WINNING!

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...KCN1R20QZ?il=0
    What an asshole. Let's try to pin the blame on the EU, no one will notice . . .
    He truly lives in La-La land...of course the economy hasn't suffered yet, let's see in two weeks if the UK crashes out. (or in a year or so)

Totes wasnt me just spread it on a few platforms to make more people aware, hope it comes back up soon.
    In before before someone saying the Government shut it down to silence the people...
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Welp, I certainly wouldnt put it past them at this point xD

It seems to be back up and closing on nearly 700k signatures as of this post.
    Over on reddit they're saying when it's up, it's counting at 3k per minute. That's pretty fast!

Could possibly break 1 million by the time they convene later today then?
    Seriously I'd say it's high time for a riot.

- - - Updated - - -

So it could breach 1m in less than two hours from now.
    Agree with the riot. Also, as harsh as this may sound... wake me for when they break 20m. I don't think this will impress any of the thick people in the HoC. Because Empire...

Hey, Thank you, I really appreciate that it's his homeland so I admit I'm abit apprehensive and nervous even though I absolutely adore Norway it's so beautiful.
    Growing up in Hardanger, which is so idyllic it’s revolting (I could walk up a hill behind our house and snap a photo, and get an apple with dew on it in the foreground, with green hills and mountains, a huge meandering fjord and a damn GLACIER nestled between the mountaintops in the background), I became a bit stumped and «eh, it’s nothing special» about the nature here, but I’ve come to understand the beauty of it after my girlfriend moved over from Iceland.

Us trying to speak norwegian to eachother was hella weird after 9 years of english, but after she got a job she learned the language in no time. Of course, being from Iceland helped, since the languages are related, but depending on where your home is, the dialect(s) can really mess with you, and we have a lot of very distinct ones.

Oh, and two official norwegian languages. That’s fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Don't be nervous. Just dive into it. But... be prepared for the winters. Sure, it doesn't sound scary when someone tells you it's only 3-5 hours of daylight per day, but it's quite different to move there and not escape what some may think of as "eternal darkness interrupted by hazy twilight". Make sure your husband is aware of the problems connected to it, this cannot be understated, you need to pay attention to it.
    To get the «endless nights» you’d have to live fairly north in the country. I grew up on the west coast, and winters just meant that the daylight would be gone by 16.30ish at the earliest, while I now live in the middle between north and south, and the earliest is still around 16.00 for it to turn dark. So depending on where they move to, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Hell, I don’t think the lower «main» part of Norway is THAT much further north than the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    To get the «endless nights» you’d have to live fairly north in the country. I grew up on the west coast, and winters just meant that the daylight would be gone by 16.30ish at the earliest, while I now live in the middle between north and south, and the earliest is still around 16.00 for it to turn dark. So depending on where they move to, it shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Hell, I don’t think the lower «main» part of Norway is THAT much further north than the UK?
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...024!4d8.468946

And trust me, it's noticeable for us non-Nordics. When the sun goes up at around 11am and goes down again at 4pm, that's huge. And many people underestimate the psychic effect it has. Even Nordics have problems dealing with it, let alone people like us. Sure, we'll get a psychological high every summer and absolutely love it, but then comes autumn and you're beginning to dread winter weeks if not months ahead... It needs to be actively monitored, just to make sure. Some people deal with it better than others, but nightowl or not, it affects everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/No...024!4d8.468946

And trust me, it's noticeable for us non-Nordics. When the sun goes up at around 11am and goes down again at 4pm, that's huge. And many people underestimate the psychic effect it has. Even Nordics have problems dealing with it, let alone people like us. Sure, we'll get a psychological high every summer and absolutely love it, but then comes autumn and you're beginning to dread winter weeks if not months ahead... It needs to be actively monitored, just to make sure. Some people deal with it better than others, but nightowl or not, it affects everyone.
    I'll be honest, the days where the sun does not set in the summer are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    I'll be honest, the days where the sun does not set in the summer are the worst.
    Fucks with your head, doesn't it.

I quite liked it... for 3 weeks vacation at a time.

Well, i went to check out Corbyn's twitter and here is what it has:

Jeremy Corbyn @ jeremycorbyn
    Theresa May's damaging deal has been overwhelming rejected twice. Her government is in chaos and she is trying to bully and blackmail MPs to vote for the same bad deal.
    I am in Brussels today to meet EU leaders to discuss securing our alternative of a close economic relationship

I guess it is logical... what is the point of arguing with May when the only solution can come from Brussels anyway?

Have absolutely zero respect for Corbyn now. Last night he walked out of a cross-party meeting of party leaders because Chuka Umunna was there

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/20/corbyn-quits-party-leaders-brexit-meeting-over-umunna-invite

His criticism of May putting her party's interests above the nation's is right, but he's behaving in exactly the same way. Yes, yes, I know Umunna isn't actually a party leader but it's not the point. Yet more party politics and a 70 year old behaving like a child.

Also:

Earlier [yesterday], Sir Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, secured an emergency Commons debate to discuss the crisis by invoking a procedure that required the support of at least 40 MPs.

But a cross-party attempt to submit an amendment to that debate, calling for a long delay to Brexit, collapsed after it emerged that Labour’s leadership was not prepared to support a lengthy extension, sources said.

Well, i went to check out Corbyn's twitter and here is what it has:

Jeremy Corbyn @ jeremycorbyn
    Theresa May's damaging deal has been overwhelming rejected twice. Her government is in chaos and she is trying to bully and blackmail MPs to vote for the same bad deal.
    I am in Brussels today to meet EU leaders to discuss securing our alternative of a close economic relationship

I guess it is logical... what is the point of arguing with May when the only solution can come from Brussels anyway?
    What possible good is it going to Brussels now? If he doesn't support a lengthy extension there's literally no point. It's far too late.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Have absolutely zero respect for Corbyn now. Last night he walked out of a cross-party meeting of party leaders because Chuka Umunna was there

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/20/corbyn-quits-party-leaders-brexit-meeting-over-umunna-invite

His criticism of May putting her party's interests above the nation's is right, but he's behaving in exactly the same way. Yes, yes, I know Umunna isn't actually a party leader but it's not the point. Yet more party politics and a 70 year old behaving like a child.
    What would be the point of discussion? Where has May shown she would be willing to yield on any point to Corbyn?

What kind of magic did you expect Corbyn to conjure if he would stay?

What possible good is it going to Brussels now? If he doesn't support a lengthy extension there's literally no point. It's far too late.
    Find some kinds of deal that actually can pass parliament, given that May seems absolutely incapable of obtaining one?

After all, Tusk already stated preference to Corbyn's approach.
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2019-03-21 at 12:20 PM.

Find some kinds of deal that actually can pass parliament, given that May seems absolutely incapable of obtaining one?

After all, Tusk already stated preference to Corbyn's approach.
    Yes, which would require a long delay, no? He can't on one hand rule out a long delay and on the other tear up May's deal and start again?

I'm not sure what you're saying. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Yes, which would require a long delay, no? He can't on one hand rule out a long delay and on the other tear up May's deal and start again?
    That depends on reasons for delay entirely i would assume. And necessity of such delay.