Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    The Avengers are seen as super hero police. The mutants are seen as random citizens owning weapons of mass destruction in the palm of their hands and living secretly next door to you planning who knows what because they see themselves as superior to humans.

Spider-Man is leaning towards falling into Avengers category with how they're developing him, but in the comics the fact that he kept to himself and more solitary is what made him more easily flip between hero and "Jameson was right, he's a menace" labeling. There were even times that people speculated if he was a mutant during negative public perception (in world, of course, not to readers).
    Faroth, that cat looks old as well, I mean elderly, the one beside you. Those yellowing teeth.....

You will need a replacement soon.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    That’s a very real problem that effects the comics if you ask me, spider man swings by and no one cares but a mutant comes to town and every one loses it.

Though the xmen are also a bunch of assholes who will break mass murders out of jail and then work with them and act like victims in th comics.
    As noted above, because of his solitary style, Spider-Man has flipped in public perception within the stories often as well. However, he gets more public attention thanks to Jameson and despite the editorials proclaiming him a menace, the actual stories (which Peter does help feed with photos) gave the public a more positive view of his actions.

Essentially the X-Men don't have an on-staff photographer providing positive PR to the papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    Faroth, that cat looks old as well, I mean elderly, the one beside you. Those yellowing teeth.....

You will need a replacement soon.
    I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but how dare you, sir?! HOW DARE YOU!? This cat is best cat!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    Just wondering how humans vs. mutants can make sense when there has been a decade of superheroes and supervillains wreaking havoc already.
    Avengers Endgame and an Infinity Gauntlet to do a big reset

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    IDK about that but i wouldn't be surprised if one or both of Xavier and Magneto were black.
    It might be a little too on the nose sense they were inspired by the difference in ideology of Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    i bet the new charles xavier will be a female )
    Xavier = walking female
    Wolverine = disabled black
    Storm = gay male

because fuck the fans.

This whole thing really doesn’t hold water when you have hero’s and villains popping up every where else and wrecking stuff without being mutants. Mabye it made sense in the past but in the current state of marvel/MCU it just doesn’t hold up.
    A lot of the other heroes are science based. Anyone of us could be Iron Man "if I only had the money" or Captain America "if I were given the super serum" but the mutants would represent a very literal "nature is replacing us and they are called superior."

To make a kind of risky comparison, think of the white supremacists and their "you will not replace us" chants and apply it to a claim of a new species of human that will eventually replace mankind from an evolutionary standpoint. A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    As noted above, because of his solitary style, Spider-Man has flipped in public perception within the stories often as well. However, he gets more public attention thanks to Jameson and despite the editorials proclaiming him a menace, the actual stories (which Peter does help feed with photos) gave the public a more positive view of his actions.

Essentially the X-Men don't have an on-staff photographer providing positive PR to the papers.
    I don’t think having a photographer could help the xmen at this point with them being such huge dicks who will turn a blind eye to pretty much any crime a mutant commits as long as that mutant is willing to wear an X.

What? Is that some necro? The prequels already replaced the X-men cast with a complete new set of actors.
    So who cares anymore if they do it again? The continuity will always feel broken.

The Avengers are seen as super hero police.
    That probably won't be the initial way they're going to be casted in the Disney MCU timeline, but rather a "questionable" force that the Avengers/Government debate their merits about. Why? Because they gotz to do a "Civil War: A vs X" movie for the $$$, of course! ;P

7+ Year Old Account
    A lot of the other heroes are science based. Anyone of us could be Iron Man "if I only had the money" or Captain America "if I were given the super serum" but the mutants would represent a very literal "nature is replacing us and they are called superior."

To make a kind of risky comparison, think of the white supremacists and their "you will not replace us" chants and apply it to a claim of a new species of human that will eventually replace mankind from an evolutionary standpoint. A person is smart, people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    True most are science based but I find it unlikly your average joe is looking at say sandman the green goblin captain marvel ect and knows to much about there powers.

Hell if I was going to launch a new X-Men in MCU... It would be the post-credit scene of Endgame... You hear a southern woman's voice sayinging 'Howdy sugar," and you see a bare hand grab Brie Larson, who screams with more emotion than what was shown in all of Captain Marvel. Fade to black... next year 'The Brotherhood' launches mutants into the MCU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, but how dare you, sir?! HOW DARE YOU!? This cat is best cat!!!!
    If he is "Best Cat" then why haven't you been taking care of his yellowing teeth?

IMO you want that kitty gone, you just don't know it yet.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

I would have no problem with this. Though McAvoy and Fassbender were pretty good, and I had no real problem with Cyclops, the rest... No real loss. Although, the Quicksilver actor will be a loss, because he was pretty good. Unfortunately, they are running his ability into the ground. Showcasing his ability in his first appearance was pretty damn awesome. The second time was predictable, and now in Dark Phoenix, it looks like a rehash of Flash and Superman in Justice League.

They are smart in keeping Reynolds as Deadpool, as those 2 films are the only good ones that Fox has made. Saying Logan is the best Wolverine movie is like saying the original Fantastic 4 movie (with Chris Evans as Human Torch) is the best F4 movie.

The Disney MCU movies have been nearly all great comic book movies. Even the worst one (Iron Man 3, imo) is better than any Fox movie that isn't Deadpool. Disney getting X-Men and Fantastic 4 back can only be a good thing. Now they just need to get the ones from Sony back, as well as the Hulk so we can get a good solo Hulk movie.

I don’t think having a photographer could help the xmen at this point with them being such huge dicks who will turn a blind eye to pretty much any crime a mutant commits as long as that mutant is willing to wear an X.
    Well the government gave a carte blanche clean slate to any mass murderer who came forward and registered and gave a repeat offender his own government sanctioned team of killers and touted them around on national television as the new Avengers, so suffice to say the Marvel world is pretty wonky in that regard.

True most are science based but I find it unlikly your average joe is looking at say sandman the green goblin captain marvel ect and knows to much about there powers.
    I'm fairly sure they get details from news about the origins of these characters once they're captured and (temporarily) imprisoned, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    If he is "Best Cat" then why haven't you been taking care of his yellowing teeth?

IMO you want that kitty gone, you just don't know it yet.
    You've fallen for a myth that white teeth are the only natural, healthy color! HER teeth are perfectly healthy. (I promise this is the last I'll banter on this. I don't want to derail the thread)
    Last edited by Faroth; 2019-03-21 at 02:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This whole thing really doesn’t hold water when you have hero’s and villains popping up every where else and wrecking stuff without big mutants. Mabye it made self in the past but in the current state of marvel/MCU it just doesn’t hold up.
    The ones flying around being heroes are 'heroes' as well as heroes given government sanction to be such. Mutants are not heroes at least not by choice, most would seem villains but are misunderstood, most of them are just randomly gifted with these powers. They never asked for it and some don't even want it. Also with heroes, they have a natural understanding and control over their powers, the thing that makes mutants more feared is that they are mainly young, mutants are revealed in children around puberty, so when this happens there's no learning or understanding these kids will hurt or kill people without knowing.

You never have to worry about Tony Stark accidentally blasting Peppers face off by accident. Or Thor destroying an entire city by accident. This is the type of stuff people will see as criminal, and that's why mutants will be treated in that light

The closest thing we had to humans fearing anyone with powers was in Civil War when Scarlet Witch accidentally destroyed that government building killing many innocents. This alone can be a great foreshadowing if they wanna try and retcon Scarlet witch being a mutant.

The only thing thats going to be a problem is introducing them to the extent of; are mutants a new thing? Or have they been here the whole time and we haven't known about it?Maybe the government have been keeping their activity hush hush and have their own mutant tracking device for these things. That could be a great lead in to the movie.

The other problem I have is that the X-Men universe is always been a lot darker and more morally grey than the other side of the Marvel universe, and I am not sure Disney can pull that off. Disney have a very clear good guy v bad guy mentality, they are not the type of people to really do morally grey very well.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-21 at 02:27 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Well the government gave a carte blanche clean slate to any mass murderer who came forward and registered and gave a repeat offender his own government sanctioned team of killers and touted them around on national television as the new Avengers, so suffice to say the Marvel world is pretty wonky in that regard.

I'm fairly sure they get details from news about the origins of these characters once they're captured and (temporarily) imprisoned, though.
    While true the government in mavel has pretty much always been either bad guys or just massive dicks. The xmen on the other hand act like victims and preach about mutant human relations and then put people like magneto, on there teams train child soldiers break cyclops out of jail after X vs A and then leave wolverines actually school for him. It feels like the xmen are either actively trying to make mutants seen in a worse light or there just so otherworldly stupid.

When they were still on there own island doing shading stuff I could give it a bit of a pass because they had there own stealth team to keep there shady stuff in the shadows. But after wolverine founded his own school pretty much all of the other xmen went off the deep end into unapologetic madness while still keeping up there victim card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    The ones flying around being heroes are 'heroes' as well as heroes given government sanction to be such. Mutants are not heroes at least not by choice, most would seem villains but are misunderstood, most of them are just randomly gifted with these powers. They never asked for it and some don't even want it. Also with heroes, they have a natural understanding and control over their powers, the thing that makes mutants more feared is that they are mainly young, mutants are revealed in children around puberty, so when this happens there's no learning or understanding these kids will hurt or kill people without knowing.

You never have to worry about Tony Stark accidentally blasting Peppers face off by accident. Or Thor destroying an entire city by accident. This is the type of stuff people will see as criminal, and that's why mutants will be treated in that light

The closest thing we had to humans fearing anyone with powers was in Civil War when Scarlet Witch accidentally destroyed that government building killing many innocents. This alone can be a great foreshadowing if they wanna try and retcon Scarlet witch being a mutant.

The only thing thats going to be a problem is introducing them to the extent of; are mutants a new thing? Or have they been here the whole time and we haven't known about it?Maybe the government have been keeping their activity hush hush and have their own mutant tracking device for these things. That could be a great lead in to the movie.

The other problem I have is that the X-Men universe is always been a lot darker and more morally grey than the other side of the Marvel universe, and I am not sure Disney can pull that off. Disney have a very clear good guy v bad guy mentality, they are not the type of people to really do morally grey very well.
    See I could have brought this some years ago but then you got groups like the runaways or the avengers academy as well as other countless teen hero’s showing up out of no where without being mutants. Most teen hero’s don’t understand there powers wonderfuly like say iron man and blunder around them while trying to be a hero.

Mutants on the other hand have it far more organized and still manage to duck it up at every turn. Wolverine saw this when he split from the main xmen and started his own school to actually teach mutants instead of training them for wars like cyclops. With the amount of inhumans aliens and other powered youth running around being a mutant shouldn’t be as much of a threat as it once was.

While true the government in mavel has pretty much always been either bad guys or just massive dicks. The xmen on the other hand act like victims and preach about mutant human relations and then put people like magneto, on there teams train child soldiers break cyclops out of jail after X vs A and then leave wolverines actually school for him. It feels like the xmen are either actively trying to make mutants seen in a worse light or there just so otherworldly stupid.

When they were still on there own island doing shading stuff I could give it a bit of a pass because they had there own stealth team to keep there shady stuff in the shadows. But after wolverine founded his own school pretty much all of the other xmen went off the deep end into unapologetic madness while still keeping up there victim card.
    The entire "let's make Cyclops edgy" has been a downward spiral of disaster.

Honestly, the X-Men have been written worse and worse ever since Grant Morrison first decided to have Scott cheat on Jean in a psychic relationship with Emma, make Xavier into a murderer as a fetus (but somehow didn't succeed)/a slave owner of an AI (which was retconned), and violate one of his prime rules by mind wiping his students to not know he sent a team to their deaths and made them forget about it. He also gave us kitty cat Beast and "secondary mutations" because....some reason. -_-

I know a lot of people think Morrison was the second coming of Claremont, but I never liked his run on X-Men and feel it did more long term damage than good.

Then later having Cyclops basically become Magneto's successor... it's been just a complete disaster of writing for a long time now.

They should have had Cyclops continue Xavier's vision while Havok went more extreme and took up Magneto's view. The Xavier/Magneto ideals conflict would have been more interesting if inherited by the brothers now at odds with one another.

The greatest villain the X-Men have is the writers. I'm hoping the new Editor in Chief gets things back on course. They've restored the X-Men - Wolverine, Cyclops, Xavier, and Jean being brought back, and he's talked before about course correcting on a lot of titles. I'd like for 2000 to 2019 to ultimately be a largely forgotten period similar to how Spidey fans were able to just sigh and blot out the extended 2nd Clone Saga for a long while.

The only thing I've liked of the past decade or two was the No More Mutants resulting in the Second Coming and Messiah CompleX crossovers, which were fantastic art and a pretty fun read, though I feel for Bishop fans. They leaned a little too hard into him as the villain rather than he and Cable both being kind of gray on their approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Mutant's were born with powers, most of the superheroes in Marvel are given, gifted or the result of a accidents. Mutants are feared and hated due to them not having any control or understanding over said power resulting in the people fearing them for the danger they may posses. Being a mutant isnt even select so people who could be mutants could be bad people and will use that ability for evil, creating the threats humans fear, fearing this next stage of evolution to be a curse more than a gift. Hell some mutants even don't like being mutants.
    Of course the probably is...the exact same thing applies JUST AS MUCH to those heroes who are "given or gifted" their powers. Most of the X-Men have control over their powers, same as non-mutants. And many of them don't even have powers that are a serious threat. If Angel "lost control" of his flight power, he'd...what, fall? What happens if a hacker takes over Iron Man's suits? Or if someone copies them without Tony's morals? What happens if a non-mutant like Human Torch, Thor, or Hulk loses control, are they less of a threat than if say, Beast or Cyclops or Nightcrawler does it? Mutants could be bad people, and use their ability for evil? But that doesn't happen to other powered individuals like the Absorbing Man(not a mutant), Red Skull(not a mutant), Loki(not a mutant), or Thanos(not a mutant), right? Some mutants don't like being mutants-true. But remind me again, how many times did Banner(not a mutant) try to cure being the Hulk? How long did The Thing(not a mutant) try to cure his condition? This is why the whole "humans hate mutants" has always been a dumb concept. It was originally done to illustrate the fight over civil rights, I get why they did it. But in a world of super powered being, hating mutants and acting like they're some big threat because they got their powers by birth, while loving heroes who got MUTATED after birth and gained powers that way is just absurd. Like, a fire breathing mutant is some terrifying threat, but the Human Torch, a dude who encases his entire body in flames, with the power to project and control fire, and even the ability to emit a massive fiery blast is beloved by all? A mutant with super strength is cause for fear and suspicion, but everyone loves the orange, rock skinned super strong Thing or the super strong GOD Thor? A mutant martial artist with enhanced strength and reflexes should be locked up or killed, but Cap America, a martial artist given a serum that enhances his strength and reflexes is a national hero? It's just absurd.

10+ Year Old Account

See I could have brought this some years ago but then you got groups like the runaways or the avengers academy as well as other countless teen hero’s showing up out of no where without being mutants. Most teen hero’s don’t understand there powers wonderfully like say iron man and blunder around them while trying to be a hero.

Mutants on the other hand have it far more organized and still manage to duck it up at every turn. Wolverine saw this when he split from the main xmen and started his own school to actually teach mutants instead of training them for wars like cyclops. With the amount of inhumans aliens and other powered youth running around being a mutant shouldn’t be as much of a threat as it once was.
    If we are talking about the comics then yes the whole mutant prejudice thing does seem a bit out of place now days, but you say that in today's world with more rights given to people of minority, we also have become more accepting of gay marriage, trans people or ethnic relations, does that mean there is no more racism or homophobia or extremist groups wanting them gone? Of course not, actually our currently political and social climate is exactly why X-Men is needed more than ever.

On a side note (not talking to you here Daemos daemonium) if anyone quotes me and says "stop bringing politics in comics', hasn't read much X-Men comics, X-Men was one of the more most politically charged comics Marvel had. Go read 'God Loves Man Kills', the best X-Men storyline ever or even X-Tinction Agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Of course the probably is...the exact same thing applies JUST AS MUCH to those heroes who are "given or gifted" their powers. Most of the X-Men have control over their powers, same as non-mutants. And many of them don't even have powers that are a serious threat. If Angel "lost control" of his flight power, he'd...what, fall? What happens if a hacker takes over Iron Man's suits? Or if someone copies them without Tony's morals? What happens if a non-mutant like Human Torch, Thor, or Hulk loses control, are they less of a threat than if say, Beast or Cyclops or Nightcrawler does it? Mutants could be bad people, and use their ability for evil? But that doesn't happen to other powered individuals like the Absorbing Man(not a mutant), Red Skull(not a mutant), Loki(not a mutant), or Thanos(not a mutant), right? Some mutants don't like being mutants-true. But remind me again, how many times did Banner(not a mutant) try to cure being the Hulk? How long did The Thing(not a mutant) try to cure his condition? This is why the whole "humans hate mutants" has always been a dumb concept. It was originally done to illustrate the fight over civil rights, I get why they did it. But in a world of super powered being, hating mutants and acting like they're some big threat because they got their powers by birth, while loving heroes who got MUTATED after birth and gained powers that way is just absurd. Like, a fire breathing mutant is some terrifying threat, but the Human Torch, a dude who encases his entire body in flames, with the power to project and control fire, and even the ability to emit a massive fiery blast is beloved by all? A mutant with super strength is cause for fear and suspicion, but everyone loves the orange, rock skinned super strong Thing or the super strong GOD Thor? A mutant martial artist with enhanced strength and reflexes should be locked up or killed, but Cap America, a martial artist given a serum that enhances his strength and reflexes is a national hero? It's just absurd.
    X-Men have control over their powers because they are the X-Men they are at a point when they are trained to understand their power, hell even when they are X-Men there have been times when the X-Men have struggled with their powers. Beast and Jean Gray and even Iceman have had moments of loss of control.

The Hulk is one of the key arguments as he probably shares most in relation to the X-Men regarding fear and misunderstanding. With The Thing though really isnt a problem, sure he would like to be human too he always used to have a problem being the Thing, but unlike the Hulk he wasnt going around destroying shit and losing control of his powers by accident. but both of them had their powers given to them, they were not born with it.
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-21 at 02:58 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Disney won't ruin it by pushing obvious political correctness crap they infested new Star Wars with.