Poll: "DM" Stands for...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by v1perz53 View Post
    You know what I kind of wonder in hindsight? WHY did we call Deadmines VC anyway? When vanilla released there was no Dire Maul, so it wasn't to avoid confusing them. And most other dungeons were abbreviated based on their name, like SFK, SM, Gnomer, RFK etc. Can't think of another example where we used anything other than a shortening of the name, but in NA it seems VC stuck instead of DM, no idea why.
    Maybe because Edwin VanCleef? There were a few cases where people just used the boss name, like Baron instead of Strath-east/(un)dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Well, since the vast majority of players say DM for Deadmines.. I guess you're wrong =(
    >majority of people on Mmo-champ

Better take the majority opinion of group of retards
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    If I had to guess these abbreviations only started to really become a thing later in vanilla. Keep in mind that Dire Maul only released like a month or so after vanilla launched in NA (it was released on day 1 for EU players).

That being said though, the first time I ever heard about "VC" was on private servers, I only ever remember deadmines as DM and Dire Maul as DM:E DM:W DM:N
    Dire Maul came out on March 7th, while the EU launch was Februrary 11th.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    DM back in the days stood exclusively for Deadmines. VC is indeed PS thing.

As for Dire Maul - you always specify which wing exactly and on what conditions
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret81
    I´ve heard, there will be Epic loot as normal quest rewards in Cata while you level.
    To make the quest feel more epic.

15+ Year Old Account
    DM: if you're horde it's Dire Maul
    If you're alliance, check the context. People using VC freak me out.
    Anyway, DM is winged and people will usually run only 1 wing and will specify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    To the Horde the existence of Deadmines was of no importance in classic as far as I remember. I think I went there the first time when carrying a buddy's alt through there after I already cleared MC.

So DM was definitely Dire Maul for the people around me.
    Doubly so if you played on a PvP server. Since getting through both the Alliance and all the elites would be a 45 min ordeal. I don’t think I saw Deadmines become a thing on the Horde until twinking became a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Anyway, DM is winged and people will usually run only 1 wing and will specify it.
    I remember most people not even specifying the wing, usually it was either ogre (king/costume) run or demon side. I can't remember doing west all that much, so I can't even recall what people called that. I remember only doing it for the warlock quest a couple of times since I had the 3 items. It's the same with stratholme, people were also just calling it strath living/(un)dead. Then there was also UBRS and LBRS and the various goals one could find in a BRD run.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-03-21 at 11:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Deadmines, you're an idiot if you say otherwise.

Dire Maul is DM E, DM N, DM tribute etc.

If you just say LFM DM, it has to be Deadmines, or you're a moron for not stating what part of Dire Maul you are planning to do.

Anyone wanna run a quick DW, AM, BT, H, SCM, HIW ?

Why would it even be vc? If it´s after the final boss, it should be ck for cookie

15+ Year Old Account
    For me VC was always Deadmines, and DM E/W/N was always how I seen it handled.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    lol

Back in the day, nearly everyone was asking to group for a dungeon in the zone that they were in. So DM meant whatever dungeon was in that zone. It really was that simple.

The only other time I recall where it would have mattered was in cities where people asked...but I only ever recall people asking for help for the warlock mount, and that is how they asked for help. They didn't say "Need help with DM"; they said "Need help for lock mount".

Dire Maul came out on March 7th, while the EU launch was Februrary 11th.
    *facepalm* I mixed up Dire Maul with Maraudon...

Either way my point still stands that Dire Maul was released very early on

10+ Year Old Account
    DM = Deadmines
    DiM = Dire Maul
    DM N/E/W = Dire Maul
    DiM N/E/W = Dire Maul
    Tribute = Dire Maul
    Speciation Is Gradual

Maybe because Edwin VanCleef? There were a few cases where people just used the boss name, like Baron instead of Strath-east/(un)dead.
    I always found it interesting how different servers really made a difference here as well as regions. The server I primarily played on back then referred to Stratholme as SS (Scarlet Side) or UD (Undead) when attempting to put groups together and it was generally known there, but on another server I played on it was referred to as Strat for Scarlet and Baron for the undead side of things. None of the servers I played on referred to Deadmines as DM though, they all called it VC.

NA people called deadmines vc rest of us calls deadmines dm and dire maul dm e dm w etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    DM = Dank Memes.

yeaaaa deadmines is DM
    VC didn't make sense #1, and #2, you would never go dire maul, you'd go DM-E DM-W or DM-N.

10+ Year Old Account
    Direct Message
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Anyone who says Dire Maul didn't play from release.