Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Jackman was the best casting we'd had at the time. This was pre-MCU, remember. Best casting aside from perhaps Stewart and McKellen, at least.

That said, he WAS best-known at the time for romantic comedies and dance numbers. So I'm open to someone new.
    He was just n ever a good wolverine. wolverine was short, THICC AS FUKK, ugly, mean, hyper aggressive, covered in hair. a young bob hoskins would have been better casting. they would have had to find a relative unknown for the part.. but jackman was a relative unknown at the time anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Black Nick Fury was in the Ultimate Universe too, and Marvel used him instead of the original white Nick Fury... the MCU seems to be borrowing from all universes for some reason, for it in turn is it's own universe... :P
    the MCU has (or had? after secret wars?) its own universe number designation within the multiverse. so its its own thing, made up of whatever they feel like including.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    i'll just throw this out there: Jackman was NEVER a good wolverine. if you think he was, you never read the comics, especially the ones before jackman was cast.
    Yes and no. There have been a weird mix of Wolverines through out the years that I blame on artistic licence to be honest. Only issue with Hugh Jackman was he was too tall and too young, Logan is around 5 feet 5 inches tall in the comics and hairy and rugged as hell (although his height has been inconsistent over the years in the comics).

Hugh Jackman certainly doesn't play a good Claremont Wolverine though. Claremont wrote Wolverine very more selfish and pig headed and at times down right unlikable in the early 80's, while also being a attack first ask questions later kind of guy, Claremonts Wolverine wouldn't hesitate.

But when it comes to Claremonts emotional side of Wolverine, Jackman really does capture that. Jackman plays a good early 90's Wolverine written by Larry Hama or Fabian Nicieza, during Wolverines solo run around the time of the Fatal Attractions story. Jackman really captured Logans more emotional side from the comics more than his more animialistic fighting side.

Dude, do I miss when heroes like Wolverine, Gambit and the Thing used to smoke..
    Last edited by Orby; 2019-03-22 at 02:42 AM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    the MCU has (or had? after secret wars?) its own universe number designation within the multiverse. so its its own thing, made up of whatever they feel like including.
    Default Marvel Earth; Earth-616
    Ultimate Universe; Earth-1610
    MCU; Earth-199999

Nothing from other universes is canon in the MCU. They're free to pick and choose from any of them, or go an entirely new way. Because it simply is not the universe you're referencing.

And some of them universes be crazy; if you think the MCU is deviating from the classics, you should take a look at Earth-90214 (Marvel Noir), Earth-982 (Marvel 2099), Earth-2149 & Earth 91126 (Marvel Zombies, it jumped universes at one point), and so on. The MCU is one of the more "normal" settings.

Quote Originally Posted by vilememory View Post
    I'm talking about when Disney gets its hand on her, they will strip away all that is good about her and just make her another 'Screw you fans, comics and comic movies aren't made for you, here is the political social agenda flavor of the day' character. It is going to be like the new damn Doom movie with the actress saying 'Who needs Doom Guy' in a fucking Doom movie!
    Disney already has the rights to her. I suspect she's pretty low on their list of characters to use.

Default Marvel Earth; Earth-616
    Ultimate Universe; Earth-1610
    MCU; Earth-199999

Nothing from other universes is canon in the MCU. They're free to pick and choose from any of them, or go an entirely new way. Because it simply is not the universe you're referencing.

And some of them universes be crazy; if you think the MCU is deviating from the classics, you should take a look at Earth-90214 (Marvel Noir), Earth-982 (Marvel 2099), Earth-2149 & Earth 91126 (Marvel Zombies, it jumped universes at one point), and so on. The MCU is one of the more "normal" settings.
    maybe you misunderstood what i was trying to say, because thats exactly the point i was making.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Disney already has the rights to her. I suspect she's pretty low on their list of characters to use.
    i doubt theyll use gwenpool in an actual MCU movie. maybe in an animated movie at some point, like spiderverse.

i'll just throw this out there: Jackman was NEVER a good wolverine. if you think he was, you never read the comics, especially the ones before jackman was cast.
    I totally understand that position.

HOWEVER

As someone who's never been much into the comics, he just did a good job on the screen for me. It's very possible that some other characters were more true to the comics, but didn't convince me as a naive viewer nearly as much.

It's definitely an issue where things can be divisive, and I won't pretend I can judge the comic-accuracy in any way. But I loved seeing Jackman as Wolverine, and I loved Patrick Stewart as Prof. X - just watching the movies, not comparing them to the comics.

And to be fair, that's probably more important to the producers, because a large majority of the potential audience will never or barely have read the comics.

I saw this coming.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

It would be quite the feat if they do worse than Fox's movies. Day's of future Past was the most tolerable and I smiled when the ending was pretty much "None of the prior movies ever happened". Logan was a surprising Diamond to come out of the X-Men franchise.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Old image showing relative heights:

I’ll stand by my belief that X-Men are better served with a decent production value TV show ala Game of Thrones than 2 hour movies, until proven otherwise. The movies don’t give you the chance to dig into the characters like I think is critical for the series.

Oh and Mystique is an evil bitch, and should be portrayed as such in the TV show or movie or whatever comes next. My dream is 4-5 movies or whatnot in we get introduced to her and have to figure out who she has been impersonating all along to fuck with the Avengers, X-Men and humanity as a whole.

Still holding out hope that the intro to mutants in the MCU is Rogue power draining Carol Danvers. A guy can dream can’t he.

I really hope they bring in some new stuff when they do fold mutants into the MCU. If we have to deal with another "Forming of the xmen but oh no magneto is here!" story I think fan fatigue is going to set in just like it has with superman and batman origins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    But Ultimate is not the 616 aka the main universe, and there he was in a relationship with Kitty if i remember that right.
    The MCU isn't the same as 616. The MCU is a mix of 616 and the Ultimate universe and any of the other various marvel universe numbers out there. Whether they go with something closer to 616 or something else all depends on them. There's a version of Colossus that is gay, and Nightcrawler being homophobic.

The less they take from the Ultimate universe, the better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    I’ll stand by my belief that X-Men are better served with a decent production value TV show ala Game of Thrones than 2 hour movies, until proven otherwise. The movies don’t give you the chance to dig into the characters like I think is critical for the series.
    That can be said of pretty much anything outside of mindless eye-candy/action like Pacific Rim or John Wick, though. Especially when you're talking about source material with decades worth of stories that can be drawn from. Give a competent crew 10-15 hours worth of character development and it will almost always be better than what they could have done with just 2-2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    only good thing to come out of the Ultimate Universe was black Nick Fury and Miles Moralas.
    No love for transgender Spider-woman?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    The Joker's intellect allows him to be comparable to cosmic beings.
    Yeah...Joker is totally a match for Darkseid...

“The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I think the key is going to be that we really don't need origin stories for the X-men.

Just jump right in, the base X-men are formed, they've been active for a couple years, but have been flying under the radar. The movie's their first big threat, make it a personal one; Magneto's probably best. Pull in someone from the Avengers to deal with the strange guy with strange and dangerous powers, have it be Falcon, or maybe even Thor; can Magneto control Stormbreaker? Fun thought. Avenger gets punked, X-men save the day, establishing that they're capable and useful.

The real key is gonna be casting, but the MCU's been pretty damned fantastic at that.
    Individual X-men might not need an origin story but I think the team needs one. If mutants have been flying under the radar what motive does Magneto even have, just being a generic villain instead of taking a militant stance on protecting his species?

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    The only one that I really liked and can remember well is First Class.

Days of Futures Past was a straight up costume and prop expo, I don't remember the characters they added having ANY character story, build up, background or anything whatsoever. Bishop is kinda just there, same with Psylocke and Psylocke has had a different actress like every single appearance and the movie was just confusing and bad and Ellen Paige is blah.
    Yah that's always been an issue with X-Men. DoFP was outstanding, but fans of the comics get really angry when minor things differ from the comics. Very toxic fanbase.

I think purists better brace themselves, because the LAST thing Disney is gonna do is cater to purists. If you think they will recast X-Men to be more pure to your traditional characters, I have bad news. It will likely go the other way and deviate even MORE than what 20th Century Fox did.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-03-22 at 10:37 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    https://screenrant.com/deadpool-x-men-disney-reboot/

Looks like everyone (save Ryan Reynolds) is getting kicked from X-men. Not sure if this is so they can retool the powers of the X-men to but fit inside the exsisting MCU or if they just want fresh faces all around. Kinda disappointed though, even though the movies were for the most part only OK, I really liked most of the younger X-men cast, especially the Quicksilver character who may or may not end up being dead now.
    this can only be a good thing. the X-Men films have been good, with some exceptions, but far from fantastic. Speaking of Fantastic, that is another superhero team that needs a reboot

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    The MCU isn't the same as 616. The MCU is a mix of 616 and the Ultimate universe and any of the other various marvel universe numbers out there. Whether they go with something closer to 616 or something else all depends on them. There's a version of Colossus that is gay, and Nightcrawler being homophobic.

The less they take from the Ultimate universe, the better imo.
    Oh that´s for shure so please no Miles i hate that char. They had to kill Peter bcs otherwise he would have failed. If they had done something like having him teaming up with Peter bcs he discovered his powers and tried to get in touch with spiderman to ask for help, no problems but him donning the costume right after Peter died while before he was shitting his pants at the thaught of that... bullshit is all i say to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Oh that´s for shure so please no Miles i hate that char. They had to kill Peter bcs otherwise he would have failed. If they had done something like having him teaming up with Peter bcs he discovered his powers and tried to get in touch with spiderman to ask for help, no problems but him donning the costume right after Peter died while before he was shitting his pants at the thaught of that... bullshit is all i say to that.
    If they use Spiderverse movie Miles, it wouldn't be too bad. Sure, they killed his Peter, but he did end up doing exactly what you said: Sought the help of alternate dimension Peter. But if I heard right, they have no plans to bring Miles into the MCU.