Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    The main problem is Steam has had no real rivals in the game as of yet. That really needs to stop. So Epic Games is a good start.
    thing is, EPIC is not investing in being competitive, its using cheap tactics which hurt consumer choice and goes against the benefits "competition" has for the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    thing is, EPIC is not investing in being competitive, its using cheap tactics which hurt consumer choice and goes against the benefits "competition" has for the customer.
    Except that's how you compete. Exclusive content. It's why streaming services will snap up exclusive rights to properties. It's why console makers will buy out third party exclusives.

That's being competitive. It may not always been to the benefit of the consumer, but that has nothing to do with Epic's ability to compete with Valve as a storefront.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Who says they are not?

Steam wasn't all sunshine and roses when it released, Shit takes time. The issue is people wanting everything to be perfect day and date with no flaws.
    There is a difference between steam starting out then and Epic starting out now. Steam had to figure out what they needed to do. Epic doesnt have to pioneer anything like steam did, all the methods and services are right there to mimic and setup.

no one really expects them to be perfect day one, but they should expect a modicum of capability, not the absolute bare minimum, before they start playing against the big boys and pulling stuff that hurts consumer choice. They are not ready for this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except that's how you compete. Exclusive content. It's why streaming services will snap up exclusive rights to properties. It's why console makers will buy out third party exclusives.

That's being competitive. It may not always been to the benefit of the consumer, but that has nothing to do with Epic's ability to compete with Valve as a storefront.
    Which is what i've been pointing out to others. Epics strategy is Developer/publisher centric, versus costumer-centric. Too many people argue from a costumer centric viewpoint but that wont get us anywhere since thats not the game Epic is playing.But such stategies will only go so far without good infrastructure. They have a plan, but not establishing your service base before jumping right into the middle of things is a recipe for disaster if any unforeseen consequences or issues crop up

Its brilliant and a sound strategy but its really shitty for the consumers and has introduced something (PC exclusives) other storefronts are liable to now mimic.

Hopefully Steam will get off its butt and try to improve some of its existing issues due to the competition.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2019-03-22 at 08:44 PM.

They are paying top dollar to make people hate them.
    I'll never use them because they are paying money specifically to make my life harder.
    If they had used that same money to make the game cheaper than steam though...
    Last edited by Martymark; 2019-03-22 at 08:45 PM.

Which is what i've been pointing out to others. Epics strategy is Developer/publisher centric, versus costumer-centric. But such stategies will only go so far without good infrastructure. They have a plan, but not establishing your service base before jumping right into the middle of things is a recipe for disaster if any unforeseen consequences or issues crop up
    Yeah, I'm surprised Epic didn't have their store in a better state at launch. They're not a small company and storefronts are new, they're very much behind the ball on this.

Its brilliant and a sound strategy but its really shitty for the consumers and has introduced something (PC exclusives) other storefronts are liable to now mimic.
    Doubtful. Ubisoft seems to give zero fucks about uplay as a whole (and seem to like the EGS now), Origin is only for EA exclusives, and Valve is just Valve and gives no fucks about anything.

I doubt EA or other platforms are looking to spend big for exclusives, which is to drive user acquisition, especially since many either already have install bases (Origin) or they apparently don't seem to care (uplay).

Hopefully Steam will get off its butt and try to improve some of its existing issues due to the competition.
    This is what I'm hoping for the most, actually. Would be nice to see Valve actually act like they give a shit again for once.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a patient stubborn bastard and will stick with Steam because I hate fragmented collections and friend lists.

I mostly just buy Japanese games and indie games anyway. I buy the western games at 50-70% off a year later as is.

I will buy Cyberpunk right away though.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

by the way. the entire "Exodus did better than part 2" is such eye roll worthy fact twisting.

1. Ofcourse it did better on its release than the 2nd one did at the time. Metro was still niche at the time of its release and became much more popular later over a period of time as it gained a larger fanbase.

2. Exodus banked on this and also marketed itself much more widely BASED on this and the foundation the previous games laid with its now more considerable fan base. The comparison only works if you absolutely ignore everything else regarding the environment they were released in. Its like comparing a man climbing a cliff with weights on his leg vs a sprinter running across a field.

3. Despite being hyped up and people looking forward to it more (and it deserving both), Exodus was beaten by Far Cry New Dawn to the top of the sales chart in its release week. New Dawn... who reported that its game sales were low compared to its previous titles beat what should have been a behemoth. So as well as Exodus may have sold, it would have sold better without being an exclusive.

3. Despite being hyped up and people looking forward to it more (and it deserving both), Exodus was beaten by Far Cry New Dawn to the top of the sales chart in its release week. New Dawn... who reported that its game sales were low compared to its previous titles beat what should have been a behemoth. So as well as Exodus may have sold, it would have sold better without being an exclusive.
    Please cite this sales chart.

Let me guess, UK weekly chart?

Or are you gonna use the NPD for Feb?

Both of which don't include PC digital sales at all and is irrelevant to this discussion?

I'm sure those PS4 and Xbox One owners are boycotting the game because it's only on the EGS on PC /s
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-03-22 at 10:31 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    The main problem is Steam has had no real rivals in the game as of yet. That really needs to stop. So Epic Games is a good start.
    GOG would have better luck at this point. They're surprisingly close, as is the Microsoft Store.

Doubtful. Ubisoft seems to give zero fucks about uplay as a whole (and seem to like the EGS now), Origin is only for EA exclusives, and Valve is just Valve and gives no fucks about anything.

I doubt EA or other platforms are looking to spend big for exclusives, which is to drive user acquisition, especially since many either already have install bases (Origin) or they apparently don't seem to care (uplay).
    Whilst not exactly exclusives, Origin has a bunch of non-EA titles available on its Access subscription service, including Darksiders 3 on the Premier version. I'm guessing they must have spent a bit of cash on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Whilst not exactly exclusives, Origin has a bunch of non-EA titles available on its Access subscription service, including Darksiders 3 on the Premier version. I'm guessing they must have spent a bit of cash on that.
    Doubtful. That's simply a pitch using largley the same terms (no exclusivity, 70:30 revenue split etc.) to other publishers to want access to EA's built-in audience on Origin. EA ain't payin for those games any more than Valve is.

Yet another game has been announced as an Epic Store exclusive

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet another game has been announced as an Epic Store exclusive

That would be pretty damn funny and produce enough salt to cover the Earth 5-7 times over!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting still for steam to fire up a lawsuit on Epic due to data breach spyware.

Also here is a large readeable image if anyone is interested:
    https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...73/626/7ab.jpg

So you get the general idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Waiting still for steam to fire up a lawsuit on Epic due to data breach spyware.
    I'd get comfy, you'll likely be in for a very, very, very long wait.

Doubtful. That's simply a pitch using largley the same terms (no exclusivity, 70:30 revenue split etc.) to other publishers to want access to EA's built-in audience on Origin. EA ain't payin for those games any more than Valve is.
    Just checking we're on the same page - I'm talking about me paying EA a £15 monthly subscription and in return I get to play Darksiders 3, how would they do revenue split for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Just checking we're on the same page - I'm talking about me paying EA a £15 monthly subscription and in return I get to play Darksiders 3, how would they do revenue split for that?
    Ah, misread and thought you mean regular store sales.

With that I wouldn't know for sure. Given what I know of similar programs it's likely either a flat fee for timed/permanent inclusion or they get a small cut of subs for each game they have as a part of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get comfy, you'll likely be in for a very, very, very long wait.
    120 days is waiting time for normal people (araund that time), to fill a lawsuit. For companys its probaly faster.

Steam also needs to gather the evidence before Epic deletes it. (updates their malvare )

There is also a posibility of a civil lawsuit by the Epic users that also use steam. If some attorney company starts smelling money thats it.

120 days is waiting time for normal people (araund that time), to fill a lawsuit. For companys its probaly faster.

Steam also needs to gather the evidence before Epic deletes it. (updates their malvare )

There is also a posibility of a civil lawsuit by the Epic users that also use steam. If some attorney company starts smelling money thats it.
    The internet's lawsuit-boner for everything always amuses me.

Steam doesn't want to open a can of worms they are also guilty of mate. Maybe you should check the steam EULA you agree to and realize it pulls data from your internet browsers in the first place.

Imagine being this silly that you think EGS is the only store front collecting data from you, to later try to use to sell you products. If you install the Amazon assistant that shit literally tracks any online store you browse period and uses the data to advertise to you when on amazon. This is the internet in 2019, stop acting like it's a conspiracy.