Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pu3Ho View Post
    Don't listen to the bullshit, start at the highest populated realm in the data center of your choice, or you will end up playing on empty dead server.

The playerbase is kinda low atm due to new xpansion in ~7 months or so, and there's not much things to do in the meantime tbh, unless you like crafting/grinding a lot/collecting ivory or other kinda meaningless things.

Also absolute most of the "Savage" modes are like (later normal, like 7+boss or smth)or first 3-4 mythic bosses @Wow, with some very small amount of exceptions.

Btw, if you're a good player : Be prepared to see some EXTREME amount of noobs in it, like imagine the absolute bottom of WoW and add another few layers to it, that is the absolute majority of FFxiv playerbase.
    To be honest, I'm pretty burned out on the game. I'm not sure if just an expansion will do it for me this time. Might have to wait longer than that for my burnout to completely go away.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck do you even install this game? I'm constantly getting redirected to 404 sites and can't even log into the free trial site.

Did you start here?
    Free trial https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/

Sign up/login with a Square Enix account at the next site and it should go through from there. Without knowing where something isn't working, going to be hard for people to give any further input.

Heya, I also want to start this game, maybe some advice for newbies, I don't know what character will be best to start

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaRi View Post
    Heya, I also want to start this game, maybe some advice for newbies, I don't know what character will be best to start
    Starting area: Limsa Lominsa
    Race: Roegadyn / Hellguard / ???
    Class: Marauder -> Warrior

Look at which server offers xp boost.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaRi View Post
    I'd look up a youtube video about the jobs. There isn't really a "noob" job except maybe SAM and RDM but they are both level 50 jobs so you can't start as them anyways. I'd just play whatever you want. Most of the jobs seem roughly the same difficulty to play outside of the two I mentioned. I started as Bard and I really like it. Seems like there's a lot to keep track of though and it was a little overwhelming, but now that I'm level 60 and my rotation is coming into place it's not that bad.

Race doesn't matter, play what you find most visually appealing. When you finish the Realm Reborn MSQ you'll get a free race change. Your starting job determines which starting zone you'll get.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Did you start here?
    Free trial https://freetrial.finalfantasyxiv.com/na/

Sign up/login with a Square Enix account at the next site and it should go through from there. Without knowing where something isn't working, going to be hard for people to give any further input.
    How do you actually install the game though? Assuming I uninstall I can't for the life of me find a client download option (can find one on the official reddit but you really have to go out of your way to find that.) Unless I'm blind there isn't one on the Lodestone.

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    https://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/playersdownload/na/

That's the client download page but I have no idea how to access it on FFXIV's website / Lodestone. Anyway, the game is a bit weird when you have to have an active subscription or trial to just install it. It will install the client updater but won't download any game files.
    Yeah that's what I mean. It's a bit weird.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have given up on trying to install this game, such a shame. I could do a Steam install but I have been strongly adviced against that..
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2019-03-23 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CptEgo View Post
    I have given up on trying to install this game, such a shame. I could do a Steam install but I have been strongly adviced against that..
    It's really not that big of a deal, people who "strongly advise against it" are probably harking back to the launch of Heavensward when the steam version ended up being delayed so many people bought from the SE store thinking it would work and it didn't.

ALL you need to know is if you grab the steam version you need to STAY with steam versions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's really not that big of a deal, people who "strongly advise against it" are probably harking back to the launch of Heavensward when the steam version ended up being delayed so many people bought from the SE store thinking it would work and it didn't.

ALL you need to know is if you grab the steam version you need to STAY with steam versions.
    Yea, I've chosen the Steam version. Finally gave in

Yea, I've chosen the Steam version. Finally gave in
    Steam version isn't that bad. Huge bonus is you can pay your sub and buy most things off the Mogstation (except a transfer) through Steam.

But yeah it did have a bit of a mess up with Heavensward.

But hell they've even started doing separate physical CEs for Steam now since Stormblood for people who like that. I just stick with the console CEs though personally aka PS4. Still have a collectors edition of ARR from PS3 lol.

FYI for those who aren't aware, if you get the steam version you have to buy all the expansions for now and eternity through steam and not through the square store.

Also if you ask you might get the base game free from people from the old Twitch Prime special giveaway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by heartless8604 View Post
    FYI for those who aren't aware, if you get the steam version you have to buy all the expansions for now and eternity through steam and not through the square store.

Also if you ask you might get the base game free from people from the old Twitch Prime special giveaway.
    But are the expansions not released at the same time through Steam or what?

Yes, they are. It's just considered a "different" version than PC. There's PC, Steam, and PS4 versions, and you cannot mix and match. But all expansions and patches happen at the same time for all versions.

Nah, everything gets released and patched at the same time. But you're locked into Steam, regardless of whatever deals you might find elsewhere. That's all, for better or for worse you are just required to buy expansions through Steam if you have a Steam account.

10+ Year Old Account
    I also started playing a couple days ago on a free trial account. The game is actually pretty fun so far. Only thing I wish it had right now is a transmog system like WoW has. I know it has dyes but sometimes it's not enough for me. I care very much about how my character looks as it adds to the overall fun factor of a game.

Anyway my question was since I'm on a free trial account do I keep my progress if I ever decide to actually buy the game? Which as of right now is something that's likely going to happen. I don't see why it wouldn't work that way but I wanted to make sure. I don't want to have to start all over again and do all those intro quests again because as other people have said it is rather slow and I really don't want to be put through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    I also started playing a couple days ago on a free trial account. The game is actually pretty fun so far. Only thing I wish it had right now is a transmog system like WoW has. I know it has dyes but sometimes it's not enough for me. I care very much about how my character looks as it adds to the overall fun factor of a game.

Anyway my question was since I'm on a free trial account do I keep my progress if I ever decide to actually buy the game? Which as of right now is something that's likely going to happen. I don't see why it wouldn't work that way but I wanted to make sure. I don't want to have to start all over again and do all those intro quests again because as other people have said it is rather slow and I really don't want to be put through that again.
    It does, it has a glamour system that allows you to make your gear look like other gear you have just like wow, or look like you have no gear on at all

And as for your question, yes, as long as you buy the same version of the game (ie PC, Steam, MAC or PS4)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It does, it has a glamour system that allows you to make your gear look like other gear you have just like wow, or look like you have no gear on at all

And as for your question, yes, as long as you buy the same version of the game (ie PC, Steam, MAC or PS4)
    Ah, nice! Now I'm happy.

Ok that's what I thought. I downloaded the free trial directly from the FF14 site so I guess that's where I would have to buy it from too? I couldn't buy it on Steam?

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Ah, nice! Now I'm happy.

Ok that's what I thought. I downloaded the free trial directly from the FF14 site so I guess that's where I would have to buy it from too? I couldn't buy it on Steam?
    Right, but you do have options, you can buy it from the SE store, from Amazon, or from sites like humble bundle.