Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    15 years of entertaintment for 2236 $ doesn't sound too bad

Im 100% sure I spend atleast that at the bar per year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    Today I realised it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    Seeing how high the total cost is it starts to feel like a scam, no game is worth 2236$. We really should get more with the money we have paid.
    Some of the most utterly ass-backwards and idiotic 'logic' that I've seen on these forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    A library card. No, seriously. Most people can entertain themselves literally for free if they for some idiot reason wanted to get the best money to time spent ratio they could manage. WoW is nowhere close to the top of that list. When the fuck did everything that people did for leisure prior to WoW suddenly disappear? For $2,000 you could have a variety of hobbies and interests that could entertain you for much longer than 15 years, but hey if you'd rather spend that money playing just one game then so be it.

It's not that I can't see where you guys are coming from. I used to use this very same argument when I was younger and was totally fine spending a large chunk of my free time playing WoW. I get it. It's just a really dumb way of rationalizing the money/time you're spending.
    Last time I went to the theater (Captain Marvel) we ended up spending about $38. For 2 hours of non-interactive entertainment and some overpriced popcorn/bottled water. Factor in gasoline and that's probably closer to $42-43.

So basically my decision to treat myself and my daughter to a movie cost the same as roughly 3 months of World of Warcraft. The game has its issues but anyone arguing that it isn't a good time-vs-cost value is a moron.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    yea ... no. wow is orders of magnitudes more entertaining than any book you could find at a library.
    The thing is, if not for gaming I probably would be going out to party a lot like my peers and spend far more than 15$ a month on booze and cigarettes.
    That's an entirely subjective opinion. While I'm not surprised that most people here would find grinding pointless reputations more exciting than reading, the option is there. If you'd rather spend money on booze and smokes that says a lot more about you than it does about WoW's value. I'm not trying to pick on you specifically. This thread is full of people who apparently have neither the ambition nor imagination to find something more fulfilling/entertaining than a single, repetitive, subscription based game.

A library card. No, seriously. Most people can entertain themselves literally for free if they for some idiot reason wanted to get the best money to time spent ratio they could manage. WoW is nowhere close to the top of that list. When the fuck did everything that people did for leisure prior to WoW suddenly disappear? For $2,000 you could have a variety of hobbies and interests that could entertain you for much longer than 15 years, but hey if you'd rather spend that money playing just one game then so be it.

It's not that I can't see where you guys are coming from. I used to use this very same argument when I was younger and was totally fine spending a large chunk of my free time playing WoW. I get it. It's just a really dumb way of rationalizing the money/time you're spending.
    Well strangely enough a government funded book outlet isn't quite on the scale of of an international online game with server costs in the vicinity of 5 million a month. For many players, no other hobby compares to wow especially to the many where its their literal life bar sleeping.

I get what you mean but its a cheap price for 15 years of entertainment. For me at least I can't think of much hobbies I'd like that would be under that price over 15 years.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    So basically my decision to treat myself and my daughter to a movie cost the same as roughly 3 months of World of Warcraft. The game has its issues but anyone arguing that it isn't a good time-vs-cost value is a moron.
    I responded to someone saying it was the BEST time-vs-cost endeavor you could find. It's not. I have some hobbies that are far more expensive than WoW, and some hobbies that are far cheaper. If you have to penny pinch, there are other options. If you don't, then why limit yourself?
    Last edited by Adamas102; 2019-03-24 at 08:10 AM.

That's an entirely subjective opinion. While I'm not surprised that most people here would find grinding pointless reputations more exciting than reading, the option is there. If you'd rather spend money on booze and smokes that says a lot more about you than it does about WoW's value. I'm not trying to pick on you specifically. This thread is full of people who apparently have neither the ambition nor imagination to find something more fulfilling/entertaining than a single, repetitive, subscription based game.
    there really isn't much that can entertain a person for 15 years for 8+ hours a day that also costs less than 15€.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... That's unfortunate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    Name one game you bought fifteen years ago that you still actively play every day.
    Well... Warcraft 3.... but... that's the same brand...

To be fair as well, It's more like 1-3 times a week... Also It came out past the 15 year mark so never mind...

Idk SC2 for me I guess
    Last edited by Whitedragon; 2019-03-24 at 08:44 AM.

I made a few thousand selling my 2 accounts in Vanilla/BC

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    If you're going to respond to someone in particular...you should use the "reply with quote" option.

As for the monthly costs adding up...of course they do. If you ever feel like the $15 a month you pay for WoW is too much...you should absolutely quit. But, when you break down the cost of playing wow versus the cost of other forms of entertainment...you're getting a really good deal. If you don't believe me...go see a movie in the theater...just for the ticket alone that probably costs you about as much as half a month of playing WoW.
    As i wrote before, while WoW was the top notch game and i just couldnt get enough of it, i paid for it gladly, even back in time when i was a kid and spent most of my pocket money on it. Unfortunately since Cata there is down trend in quality of the game, seems that developers wants to make this game more and more noob friendly, while killing most of the aspects that "old guard" loved. My choice was to completly drop of the game in middle of Legion, but to be honest if there was no subscription, i personally would have bought BfA and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CSINada View Post
    As i wrote before, while WoW was the top notch game and i just couldnt get enough of it, i paid for it gladly, even back in time when i was a kid and spent most of my pocket money on it. Unfortunately since Cata there is down trend in quality of the game, seems that developers wants to make this game more and more noob friendly, while killing most of the aspects that "old guard" loved. My choice was to completly drop of the game in middle of Legion, but to be honest if there was no subscription, i personally would have bought BfA and check it out.
    Then I don't see how you can honestly say you were "milked".
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicFlame View Post
    there really isn't much that can entertain a person for 15 years for 8+ hours a day that also costs less than 15€.
    I think it would be pretty sad to spend 8+ hours a day doing only one thing just because you couldn't afford more than 15€ for the hobbies you actually wanted to do or couldn't think of any of the thousands of other activities that could be done for cheaper.

I haven't paid a penny since they released tokens, I even bought the expansions for gold from my buddies

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    What other game could you name that you played nearly 15years straight.
    Doom!! I play it more than I do WoW. Have to love the modding community.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    The quote you're supposedly answering to has "actively play every day", but your reply includes "currently not installed on my pc".
    Read the OP post once again so you will understand his words. It is not that hard.

Do you not see the contradiction here? I do occasionally play some old classics from 15+ years ago (mostly SMAC), but this doesn't mean it entertained me for all that time.
    I played more HoMM 3, Warcraft 3 or Red Alert than WoW within last 10 years even if these games are not alwyas installed on my pc. Neither is WoW.
    The only time i was online in WoW (almost) everyday was early Vanilla beta -> WotLK.

Meanwhile, WoW was a constant factor across all these years, with small breaks here and there.
    For you? Sure.
    For me? Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    15 years of entertaintment for 2236 $ doesn't sound too bad
    This!

/10char

It's only money, who cares. If it's fun it's worth it, BFA is not worth it though.
    Blizzard is Arthas, Activision is Frostmourne, together as Activision-Blizzard they are the Lich King. #FireBobbyKotick

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    Today I realised it have been 172 months since WoW's launch. And if you have been around since launch and paid 6 months sub it's 2236$.
    Seeing how high the total cost is it starts to feel like a scam, no game is worth 2236$. We really should get more with the money we have paid.
    Playing one game 15y = playing a lot of games in 15y = prob same cost ?

I know some could play 2-3 games in 15y with no sub just buy cost. But i remember years when i used to play a lot of games like a few i a month its pretty much more expensive than just play WoW :P TBH no one force you to sub all time and play it so what is the matter ? You enjoy so you pay = game is worth ? ><

Why do people always compare the price of playing WoW to the price of a cinema ticket or coffee at Starbucks? WoW is a computer game and the cost should be compared to other computer games. WoW is easily one of the most expensive computer games you can play. I'm still playing Skyrim almost 8 years after its release and the two console versions I bought cost a fraction of what I spent on WoW in that same period. Same with the Fallout games, Witcher 3, and others I could mention. I don't mind paying it, but to say it's "cheap" when you compare it to other games is demonstrably false.

And yet after all that money, I've gotten from it 15 years of entertainment, learned a second language (English), got a job due to that second language learned (English Teacher), met some of the closest and strongest friends I've ever had in my life, managed to overcome my crippling social anxiety, picked up management and organizational skills during my time as a raid leader, and the aforementioned friends have been trying like fuck to help me realize my dream of leaving my horrible communist dictatorship country (Venezuela) and move to America.

I for one consider my money invested well worth it.

You know, this thread is kind of stupid. How much is toothpaste in the US? Because you've bought it, and used it 3 times a day, every single day, since the day you had teeth and will continue to do it until you're a very old man. If you had to add up the cost of every single tube of toothpaste you used since the day you were born till the day you die, I think it could easily rack up to 10k dollars or more. Unlike food and water, you don't actually need to brush your teeth to live, its a purely luxury expense.

Yet those 10k dollars, invested over a period of like 70 years will prevent you from losing your teeth, and from having a breath that will drive away everyone you love.

Do you consider all the money you spend on soap and shampoo over the entire duration of your life to be scams too? Again, you don't need those to live, yet you will buy them and use them, every single day of your life. Just so you don't smell like shit. We're talking easily 30k dollars, between soaps, shampoos, colognes, and aftershave lotions, spent over the duration of your life, just so the noses of people around you don't get offended. And this is only if you're a man, if you're a woman and you try to add up just how much are you going to spend on makeup and beauty products for the entire duration of your life, triple that sum baby. Are you being milked by the cosmetics industry? You don't actually need any of this shit to live, yet you are willing to pay thousands of dollars, over the duration of your life for them anyways.

These are products man, you pay something to get something else in return, and as far as returns go, wow has one of the most hilariously one-sided on your end return ratios you could think of when it comes to investing money

So no, nobody who's played wow since launch has been "milked". They paid for entertainment, and got entertainment. The only ones milked are those who clearly don't enjoy the game, yet like idiots, keep playing it. I wasn't enjoying cataclysm at all, so I left about a month after 4.3 was released and never came back until a week before the release of MoP. And I did it again with WOD. Left once I got a few stuff from 6.2, never came back until Demon Hunters were unlocked.
    Last edited by Derah; 2019-03-24 at 12:02 PM.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)