Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

EU: More than 100,000 march against #Article13

Today marksed the largest street protests ever in the history of internet freedom struggles, with more than 100,000 Europeans participating in mass demonstrations across the region -- more than 50 cities participated in Germany alone! From Netpolitik's early summary (English robotranslation): "In Berlin, the demonstration was about half an hour, if you waited along the way from the beginning to the end. We have experienced many network protests in Berlin. That was bigger today than any before, even counting the big data retention protests or ACTA."

There has never been a better time to pledge to vote against MEPs who support the Directive and then contact your MEP to let them know. The final debate is Monday at 0900h CET, with the vote scheduled for 1200h CET.

https://boingboing.net/2019/03/23/artikel-13.html

Article 13 is saying is that any websites that host large amounts of user-generated content (think YouTube, Twitter and Facebook) are responsible for taking down that content if it infringes on copyright.

But things aren’t quite that simple. No one can quite agree how these platforms are expected to identify and remove this content.

Do you think that copyright holders should have a right to have their copyrighted material removed from the internet?

If internet randoms are using your copyrighted image for a meme, say, shouldn't you get paid?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Article 13 is saying is that any websites that host large amounts of user-generated content (think YouTube, Twitter and Facebook) are responsible for taking down that content if it infringes on copyright.

But things aren’t quite that simple. No one can quite agree how these platforms are expected to identify and remove this content.
    Afaik that is not Quite right. Article 13 makes the Platform liable for Infringement. What you said is already the case. Thatd what DMCA Takedowns are for.

Right now, as long as a Website removes infringing content on demand, they are not liable. But with Article 13, they can be sued as soon as a User Uploads something.

Do you think that copyright holders should have a right to have their copyrighted material removed from the internet?
    If their material is unaltered then yes, they should have the right to do that. We just dont have the technology to distinguish between straight piracy, reviews, alterations and so on.

So I'd rather force youtube & co to invest into creating tools that can actually uphold the law (block blatant copyright infringements, but not other content that isnt) than force youtube into screwing over content creators to help other content creators. They shouldnt be any less responsible when they allow someones art to be stolen than when they allow some company to take down somebodies review. The current law just deals with one of those problems and therefore makes the other one way worse.

If internet randoms are using your copyrighted image for a meme, say, shouldn't you get paid?
    Memes are transforming the original art into something else. They should not be treated as copyright infringements.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

I'd prefer if they were marching out of having had an epiphany on the virtue of limiting the power and reach of government, but I'll take them marching because they want their memes.

10+ Year Old Account
    A group of old white haired decrepit out of touch politicians deciding what modern day services should be, ha.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A group of old white haired decrepit out of touch politicians deciding what modern day services should be, ha.
    Why do you bring race into this? Are you racist?

Imagine people protesting for this kind of shit..

Jesus christ, burn them all, I'm going back to sleep.
    I have been waiting TBC longer than I imagined

you never see them marching against the corrupt piece of shit that the EU is. or for better Pay in a lot of Jobs or anything else pretty much

but touch the internet ? boom 100k+

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    Imagine people protesting for this kind of shit..

Jesus christ, burn them all, I'm going back to sleep.
    Freedom of speech isn't worth fighting for

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by redf View Post
    you never see them marching against the corrupt piece of shit that the EU is. or for better Pay in a lot of Jobs or anything else pretty much

but touch the internet ? boom 100k+
    Lol what's brexit

Quote Originally Posted by AboikoS View Post
    how many non white people you in power have you seen in Europe ?

maybe dont bring race up if you have no idea what ur talking about ?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Freedom of speech isn't worth fighting for

- - - Updated - - -

Lol what's brexit
    you compare the brexit. a once in a lifetime event with daily stuff ?

realy?

This is your quite right?

you never see them marching against the corrupt piece of shit that the EU is

what the hell is your point dude ?

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    If their material is unaltered then yes, they should have the right to do that. We just dont have the technology to distinguish between straight piracy, reviews, alterations and so on.

So I'd rather force youtube & co to invest into creating tools that can actually uphold the law (block blatant copyright infringements, but not other content that isnt) than force youtube into screwing over content creators to help other content creators. They shouldnt be any less responsible when they allow someones art to be stolen than when they allow some company to take down somebodies review. The current law just deals with one of those problems and therefore makes the other one way worse.

Memes are transforming the original art into something else. They should not be treated as copyright infringements.
    This would Overrule Fair use and leave stuff like meme and such vulnerable i believe and this would not only hurt people in the EU but around world since YT would have to apply this to even content OUTSIDE of the EU since it is viewable in the EU Unless we want another Great Firewall like China has Incident
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    This would Overrule Fair use and leave stuff like meme and such vulnerable i believe
    and if the u.s.a. refuses to recgonize article 13? i am honestly curious what the result would be if the u.s.a. did.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2019-03-24 at 05:25 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and if the u.s. refuses to recgonize article 13?
    Does not Matter YT is international they tend to adhere to the laws where it will cost them the most in this case it would be EU so in turn indirectly it would effect us here in the US and the People where else outside of the EU
    "How you build your character is not a feature of a MMORPG, it is the feature. Everything else is secondary even the gameplay itself is secondary to building your character, its the kind of stuff you think about when you are at work or school and couldnt wait to go home to play WoW or Diablo 2. We have all done it." ~Into, 2016

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hablion View Post
    Does not Matter YT is international they tend to adhere to the laws where it will cost them the most in this case it would be EU so in turn indirectly it would effect us here in the US and the People where else outside of the EU
    just curious here what if the u.s.a. where to pass a law that would basically do the opposite of what article 13 does and either allowing the use of copyrighted works ( i know absurd but i have an idea i want to take to it's full extent here.) or pass a law forbidding business with any state that has a law similar to article 13. (mostly because it might be something trump would do since he is quite childish.)
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AboikoS View Post
    white haired. anyone can be white haired.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    No, because it's impossible to regulate this without abuse. Look at YouTube and the amount of trouble people are having with fair use. You can't safely use a small amount of video or music without it being taken down with a copyright strike. In some cases people's own work is being copyright claimed by others to make money off their videos.

That depends and that's where the problem is. Meme's are usually modifying the image enough to create a new meaning which falls under fair use. Now if someone used your image as part of their logo or used entirely without be credited then that's a different story. But we all know how this will work with the AI robots roaming the internet and copyright claiming everything they deem theirs. So no, we shouldn't make laws to protect your work cause that's an impossible task.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    Article 13 should pass.

Social media has brought nothing good, they are not publishing anything, they are not inventing anything. All content is created by users. Users are not filtered, content is not filtered - anyone can post anything. It has been successful only at one thing: mass spreading of fake news.

Before social media there were many thematic forums, like this forum. Forums are (usually) moderated. Some people wrote blogs, which became irrelevant if all they posted was nonsense. It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but it was much better than social media we have today. Less convenient, but also less fake news nonsense.

Faster social media dies, better off internet will be.
    Okay patriot AI.