Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Mechagon Arena - no LOS?

Not sure, but when looking at the picture posted for the new Arena Map in Patch 8.2 it looks like it has no objects or structures to hide behind (LOS).
    That is unless there's something coming out of that center hole. Even then, it would be pretty unique.

I'd like to see a map where there is absolutely no pillar hugging.

Could be interesting but I expect real PvPers would hate it because there's zero opportunity to LoS important casts and CC. Every match would come down to "which team lands the first CC chain"

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure it's gonna have random pillars pop out of the ground. There will probably always be at least 1 pillar up at any given time, if not then it'll be extremely unbalanced towards certain specs.

Imagine just having a Lock sit there in the center and just fucking everyone up with fears and CBs.

nothx
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Maybe it'll be a lot less boring to watch compared to 24/7 pillar humping.

would be cool if they made Arenas with obstacles that actually poses a threat to the players like floor panels with flame vents etc.>

More than likely it will have pillars or something else to block LoS like steam clouds or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    would be cool if they made Arenas with obstacles that actually poses a threat to the players like floor panels with flame vents etc.>

More than likely it will have pillars or something else to block LoS like steam clouds or something.
    Ring of Valor used to do that before they removed it. Had spikes and fire that all caused damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wewlad View Post
    Yeah, seeing the enemy healer sit over 20 seconds+ in a CC chain will be much more exciting.

If you want to see pillarhugging gone, you have re balance Arena PvP from ground up.
    Something like Destro would just blow people out of the water without Pillars currently, because they would just pop Unending Resolve and shoot up CB's up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Pretty sure it's gonna have random pillars pop out of the ground. There will probably always be at least 1 pillar up at any given time, if not then it'll be extremely unbalanced towards certain specs.
    Guess they haven't learned the second reason why the Orgrimmar Arena was universally hated, besides the fire that dealt damage.

Call me crazy but the way that floor looks, it might be moving and going up and down.

Something like this.

I feel like there's gonna be a pillar in the middle there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwielder View Post
    Call me crazy but the way that floor looks, it might be moving and going up and down.

Something like this.
    If this happens then my Monk will be very happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alosiboy View Post
    I feel like there's gonna be a pillar in the middle there.
    I wonder where the players will enter from. Either dropped in or in the sides of the room.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Wewlad View Post
    I am pretty curious about the number of people that actually watch arenas. I also find nonstop pillar humping to be really boring to watch, but I guess other people don't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Would be cool if they were raised from below
    Def won't be raised in center, that would give melees a super unfair advantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    A map with no pillars would just be PvE

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I am pretty curious about the number of people that actually watch arenas. I also find nonstop pillar humping to be really boring to watch, but I guess other people don't?
    It isn't that people think the pillar humping is fun to watch, it's pretty boring.

But the way the game is currently designed if you didn't have pillar humping, games with certain specs would just end in 20 seconds with absolutely nothing you can do about it. Which is honestly unhealthier for the game than all the pillar humping.

WoW PvP just needs a complete revamp/overhaul for anything major like pillar humping to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakugan123 View Post
    It isn't that people think the pillar humping is fun to watch, it's pretty boring.

But the way the game is currently designed if you didn't have pillar humping, games with certain specs would just end in 20 seconds with absolutely nothing you can do about it. Which is honestly unhealthier for the game than all the pillar humping.

WoW PvP just needs a complete revamp/overhaul for anything major like pillar humping to change.
    I don't disagree with you. Imo the game has way too much cc atm - has had since, what, cataclysm?
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakugan123 View Post
    I just have a hard time imagining such a revamp, even if it would happen.

The problem is that even if you were to remove / nerf aspects that make pillar hugging a neccessity, you would create just other problems.

You would have to revamp CC / DR heavily, which would make a lot of CC spells feel useless, imagine if almost anything has DR, high CC classes would have a good chunk of their spells basically being next to useless because they always on DR.

Even then, you would have to talk about Burst damage, without pillars, certain Burst combo's would be very difficult to to deal with, what is a possible to disable burst combo's? CC, the one thing we wanted to nerf.

Let's say they just flat out nerf the burst potential and CC, now you end up with a PvE hybrid where the match will almost always turn into a Mana / dampening game where the one wins that deals enough damage while also preventing the enemy healer from drinking - Because no one is able to kill each other as we nerfed CC chains and burst into the ground.

The truth is simply is: a flat Arena floor without any obstacles is a boring battlefield, because it offers no tactical element to play with.
    There's a reason why the maps in a lot of PvP games aren't just flat circles.

I don't disagree with you. Imo the game has way too much cc atm - has had since, what, cataclysm?
    Try to suggest to prune some CC spells without getting screeched at.

Thing just is, almost every class has their standard toolkit consisting out of:
    Interrupt
    CC Spell(s)
    Defensive CD('s)
    Offensive CD('s)
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2019-03-26 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IllidankaTrump View Post
    Not sure, but when looking at the picture posted for the new Arena Map in Patch 8.2 it looks like it has no objects or structures to hide behind (LOS).
    That is unless there's something coming out of that center hole. Even then, it would be pretty unique.

I'd like to see a map where there is absolutely no pillar hugging.

So, question...
    thia is a mechanical map
    in a giant mechanical city
    and hmm it has a bunch of floor pannels...
    lots and lots of floor panels...
    hmmmmmmmmm
    maybe, just maybe those floor panels... will lift up to become pillars?

- - - Updated - - -

Def won't be raised in center, that would give melees a super unfair advantage.
    you mean how pillar humping gives melee a super unfair advantage?

Imagine just having a Lock sit there in the center and just fucking everyone up with fears and CBs.

nothx
    Having multiple pillars is unbalanced towards multiple specs already. What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Try to suggest to prune some CC spells without getting screeched at.

Thing just is, almost every class has their standard toolkit consisting out of:
    Interrupt
    CC Spell(s)
    Defensive CD('s)
    Offensive CD('s)
    Yeah, it's hard to put that genie back in the bottle. Personally I much preferred cc and interrupts being more powerful but limited to the classes it made sense for. Even in bc some of the things were over the top (looking at you spriest+lock) but those can be addressed individually. Rock paper scissors is just more fun in an rpg pvp setting to me.

There's a reason why WoW Arena is not popular for spectating.