Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Maybe likely but convicting him they would have had to put themselves on trial to lay the foundation for evidence, so you can say whatever you want opinion whatever you want.

The DA wouldn't have filed charges without knowing the possible outcomes they did, and now they dropped it and cleared him of any wrong doing, and sorry no they won't pick up the ball later and do anything.

Especially when now some are claiming even if they convicted they would have gotten next to nothing.

Bottom Line is they fucked up, despite what anyone would say or want to say, this came down to the evidence, yes they could have convicted him, but not without shinning the spotlight on themselves and what they didn't do and likely if they lost, they would be on the hook for money and a lawsuit from him.

Spin it however you want but those are the facts and the context for outcome
    He's spinning it as a complete exoneration, which it is not. He got a better deal than most would because he's rich and knows people. You're trying to insert your own supposition into this as to why he got the deal that he got, but you have no basis for it. You aren't giving us facts, just your spin on things. So get off the "these are the facts" high horse, dude. You aren't sitting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Why should he be charged with that you figure?
    Because the case was also connected to Kamala Harris and her anti lynching bill which would fit the criteria to be charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Kamala Harris wants to pass the anti lynching bill and her friend Jussie Smollet just so happens to get attacked and nearly lynched. (with noose and everything lol)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    He paid his friends to beat him up (they admitted this) , buy a rope (they have it on video) tie a noose around his neck. He wrote a letter threatening himself and mailed white powder through the mail.
    They admitted this, that would have to be tested in court, their words against his along with the other evidence, remember that is what trials are for to put context with facts, it wasn't a slam dunk, and this is why idiots who get their law degree online who know next to less than nothing about the law should take a reality check.

Facts without context is meaningless, just like when we see a police officer blatantly killing an unarmed black assailant the same burden is applied, we don't know what happened leading up to before the video was filmed or after. Even if the evidence is over whelming.

You frothing at the mouth doesn't change that.

His friends who would have provided evidence against him to save their own asses, isn't enough in and of itself to convict, that's why we have trials. Not People's Court.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Bet he was seeing a therapist and he was on meds.

That's why they sealed the court records.

And if that's the case, I don't mind him getting off.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

SO did he send the fake anthrax thing or bomb threat or w/e or was that made up? Seems a bit of a serious crime to be able to afluenza away. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Here are the cliff notes.

Jussie Smollett claimed he was attacked by two men in MAGA hats who doused him with some kind of liquid he fought them off as they ran away yelling Maga Country.

He lied.

The Chicago Police investigating his claim found out he lied.

They don't know what he lied about.

The Chicago Police have Evidence he didn't tell them the full story, and proceeded to charge him for filing a false police report.

Now they have egg on their face because more proof has recently come to light that he might have been telling the truth, but he indeed left out critical details that he didn't likely want public for personal reasons.

So instead of embracing themselves, and likely losing at trial, they dropped the case, and expunged anything they would have had later, there by admitting they fucked up.
    While I do thank you very much for giving me the skinny I meant that purely rhetorically. As to say 'I don't have any idea what to make of this'.

Still thanks all the same *thumbs up*
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

So manafort and this guy get light sentences for crimes we'd all be fucked for. We live in a meritocracy doe yall.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

If your family is friends with the states attorney and other noteworthy Chicago families you can just call in a favor and get them charges dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Dunno, looks like full exoneration to me. He did not collude to stage a hate crime.
    I guess you can chose to be naive if you like. Guessing you think OJ is innocent too .

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    8:35 AM PT -- State's Attorney Kim Foxx's office says, "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case."
    The statement is consistent with what our sources said about Jussie only getting community service if he'd been convicted. The decision is NOT sitting well with Chicago PD.
    The result, if we're being honest with ourselves, isn't completely unexpected. Celebrities and public figures rarely end up getting punished at the same level your average person would for such activities that were committed here. There's a reason such figures are so brazen when it comes to doing stupid/malicious/etc. activities, as they figure their notoriety (and money) will solve an issues that arise. My initial reaction for the charges being dropped is that this was a plea deal, in the interest of not spending tons of money on taking the case to court for the long haul despite Smollet being guilty (and the records are sealed, so we won't know). If this above statement is true, this heavily indicates that a plea deal was done. Doesn't mean I or the Chicago PD think that this result is appropriate.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    SO did he send the fake anthrax thing or bomb threat or w/e or was that made up? Seems a bit of a serious crime to be able to afluenza away. . .
    That would be up to the feds to pursue i believe, if they so desire it. Maybe its time for a whitehouse.gov petition for President Trump

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkhan View Post
    Because the case was also connected to Kamala Harris and her anti lynching bill which would fit the criteria to be charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Kamala Harris wants to pass the anti lynching bill and her friend Jussie Smollet just so happens to get attacked and nearly lynched. (with noose and everything lol)
    I mean is there any proof she was involved? I had also thought the bill already passed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    "Jussie Smollett: "I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one"
    What do you think about this statement?
    I think he is a liar, I think the truth in his statement could also mean whatever truth he thinks was relevant vs leaving out whatever he thought wasn't. But honestly if he had told the fucking truth the entire truth he wouldn't have gotten charged.

He broke the law, he lied, we don't know all the laws he broke all of what he lied about or why.

Now we aren't going to, because the police likely lied too,and fucked up, they likely relied on the two guys who Jussie accused and they were fucking liars too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xandrigity View Post
    If your family is friends with the states attorney and other noteworthy Chicago families you can just call in a favor and get them charges dropped.
    No you can't.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    "just fix ur whole government"
    The problem is we have people who vote for corrupt politicans despite the fact look at trump. Dude is literally guilty of everything hillary was suppose have done. It just awesome man. Meritocracy doe and don't you forget it. So happy I have dual citizenship I can get free health abroad if shit hits the fan but the us justice system is fucking garbage.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-03-26 at 04:57 PM.

This is absolute horseshit to find out, but either way, his career should be ruined.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    The result, if we're being honest with ourselves, isn't completely unexpected. Celebrities and public figures rarely end up getting punished at the same level your average person would for such activities that were committed here. There's a reason such figures are so brazen when it comes to doing stupid/malicious/etc. activities, as they figure their notoriety (and money) will solve an issues that arise. My initial reaction for the charges being dropped is that this was a plea deal, in the interest of not spending tons of money on taking the case to court for the long haul despite Smollet being guilty (and the records are sealed, so we won't know). If this above statement is true, this heavily indicates that a plea deal was done. Doesn't mean I or the Chicago PD think that this result is appropriate.
    His attorney says there was no deal struck.

At a post hearing press conference, Patricia Holmes, attorney for Jussie Smollett, says the state made a legal decision to seal the records and drop the charges.

She clarified it is “not part of a deferred prosecution” and there “is no deal.”
    I'm not sure how that statement stacks up with the fact he forfeited his bond though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well well well.

Something about a lot of comments aging poorly.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be federal crime that can still be prosecuted. Not double jeopardy since separate incident and was not included in this one. If the govt goes for him, they would wait until after the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    That would be federal crime that can still be prosecuted. Not double jeopardy since separate incident and was not included in this one. If the govt goes for him, they would wait until after the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    That would be up to the feds to pursue i believe, if they so desire it. Maybe its time for a whitehouse.gov petition for President Trump
    Fair cop, I read :

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    So apparently all charges on Jussie were droped somehow
    And my immediate thought was of tho, well, basically terrorism charges which in this whole cabaret of weird was the crime that most stood out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Fair cop, I read :

And my immediate thought was of tho, well, basically terrorism charges which in this whole cabaret of weird was the crime that most stood out.
    Maybe they haven't sentenced him for the mail fraud matter but we'll see. It's possible he didn't do it but it's also possible to be born with one testicle. Insanely low chance but still possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Was he sentenced for mail fraud thingy yet?