Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post

Hopefully, it won't affect people in America. If you're in the EU, you'll just get a "not available in your country".
    Well if you are a content creator in the US youtube can still have the right to take down your video because those in Europe are still eligible to watch it, the content creator can go around this by then just having to make that video not view-able in Europe, it'll hit them financially of course but it'll force a norm for them to block content off from Europe.

Basically Youtube will be dead to Europe. Outside of cat videos probably lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    How the hell are we supposed to share anything then? "Ah, here's a link to where you can legitimately purchase this great song I heard" A-BANNED!

I mean hell, how much copyrighted content have just I posted on this website over the years? Typically small clips of TV shows when discussing our favorites (which has lead me to discover several amazing TV shows which I have financially supported), and other such things. Is MMO-Champion going to be fined? Am I? Both?
    They're not insane enough to attempt to enforce it retroactively..... I think.... But you can kiss all of that goodbye, unless the sites you post on can pay the license fee.

In case you're wondering how this came to be, despite the masses of protestation online and in the real world, you can thank Germany capitulating to France so they could have their Russian oil pipeline, according to this article:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...sian-gas.shtml

New Report: Germany Caved To France On Copyright In A Deal For Russian Gas
    Copyright

from the horse-trading:-the-public-internet-for-russian-gas dept
    Mon, Mar 25th 2019 3:41pm — Mike Masnick
    In the hours leading up to the vote in the EU Parliament on the EU Copyright Directive, the German publication FAZ (which has been generally supportive of the Directive) has released quite a bombshell (in German), suggesting that the reason Germany caved to France on its terrible demands concerning copyright was in order to get France's approval of the controversial Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia.

If you don't recall, the German delegation had actually pushed back on the more extreme versions of Article 13 -- and, in particular, had demanded that a final version have a clear carve-out for smaller companies, so as not to have them forced out of business by the onerous demands of the law. However, after some back and forth, Germany caved in to France's demands, with many left scratching their heads as to why. However, some noted the "coincidence" in timing, that right after this, France also withdrew its objections to the pipeline which is very controversial in the EU (and the US, which is threatening sanctions).

FAZ notes that there were whispered rumors about Germany and France basically trading these two proposals, with Germany effectively selling out the open public internet in exchange for easier access to Russian gas. However, it has now seen documents that support this claim. Germany's economic minister, Peter Altmaier apparently promised startups that Germany would not cave on its promise to create a carve-out for all companies with less than 20 million euros in revenue per year -- only to drop that demand the very next day.

According to FAZ, the French delegation directly suggested the idea of France backing away from its opposition to the Nord Stream 2 pipeline if Germany backed away from its concerns about Article 13. And, voila, within days, Germany gave up on its demands regarding Article 13 and, a few days later, France switched sides and agreed to support the pipeline. So, as the German MEPs go to the polls tomorrow, we'll see if they think it was a fair deal to sell out the public internet in exchange for some Russian gas.
    Fuck the EU.

Not surprised at all. It was essentially one giant lobby shit show to gift a dying caste of scumfucks a large sum of money. At least that is what they think they'll get. I think long term this will just turn into an even worse version than the garbage we decided on a national level which already failed.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    For what? Handsomitis?
    I've been on this website for years, and you, my good friend, are the most desperate person I've ever seen commenting on this website.
    You're trying too hard to troll so it just comes off as a huge cringe fest. But hey, if that's what you like doing with your free time, more power to you.

Your parents should've given you more attention as a child, because you craving attention from randoms on the internet is beyond pathetic, OMEGALUL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not surprised at all. It was essentially one giant lobby shit show to gift a dying caste of scumfucks a large sum of money. At least that is what they think they'll get. I think long term this will just turn into an even worse version than the garbage we decided on a national level which already failed.
    Lobbying is legal in the EU as well? No wonder it passed. Democracy stands no chance against capitalism. Guess we'll just sit here and watch and they'll try to enforce this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Lobbying is legal in the EU as well? No wonder it passed. Democracy stands no chance against capitalism. Guess we'll just sit here and watch and they'll try to enforce this nonsense.
    Not exactly, but proving anything is a fools errant. Let's just say that everyone knows which parties voted for yes and what their usual friends tend to be..

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Lobbying is a corner stone of democracy. Lobby rooms are for anyone to go and lobby their MP/representative whatever. Just 99.99999% of people don't even bother with politics outside of election day. Hopefully this makes them wake up (funny enough also realise that those pushing this the harders were more anti eu rightist groups) and realise it doesn't start and end after you put your makr in the voting booth.

Well... the EU went and found a way to vindicate Nigel Farage, UKIP and all the Brexiteers who voted to leave the EU. Feels like I'm living in Bizarro World.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    Well... the EU went and found a way to vindicate Nigel Farage, UKIP and all the Brexiteers who voted to leave the EU. Feels like I'm living in Bizarro World.
    Yea you can't reconcile with people thinking and voicing their own opinions. They might be different to your own! No forgiveness nor moving on! They can't be persuaded once they're designated the enemy, nobody ever gets anything wrong, trial by combat I say! /s
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Calling this now. There will be no significant change to youtube. This is a spat between youtube and the EU. Youtube wanted its creators and viewers to do its campaign work for it. Basically youtube wanted to dodge the cost of compliance and keep the status quo which suits it fine. In many ways this exactly helps creators.

Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and.. we shall have.. peace..

Quote Originally Posted by Keihndeth View Post
    People like Farage were the ones pushing for this.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, this is like the DMCA without fair use?

The EU just basically killed Youtube for Europeans. RIP Miracle of Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Great day for copyright holders. Make your own shit, kids.

(also, please don't post ginger Nazi videos)
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Vathoren View Post
    They're not insane enough to attempt to enforce it retroactively..... I think.... But you can kiss all of that goodbye, unless the sites you post on can pay the license fee.

In case you're wondering how this came to be, despite the masses of protestation online and in the real world, you can thank Germany capitulating to France so they could have their Russian oil pipeline, according to this article:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...sian-gas.shtml

Fuck the EU.
    The idea of the EU is the countries working towards compromises, so that, while a terrible decision that will have worldwide ramifications, certainly seems like the EU "working as intended."

I take it WoW PRs are in big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    So, if I'm understanding this correctly, this is like the DMCA without fair use?
    It is like the DMCA WITH fair use.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    The idea of the EU is the countries working towards compromises, so that, while a terrible decision that will have worldwide ramifications, certainly seems like the EU "working as intended."
    hence why people voted to get out of the EU in the uk, and why Poland has blocked off so many of its laws and regulations.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    This is really my problem too. And almost everyone I've challenged on the issue just vomits forth more garbage. I can see potential problems with the laws, but this sort of absurd fear-mongering by a bunch of whiny youtubers is just bullshit.
    If it's enforced as it's worded, content creaters will be put in too much restriction to be even worth it. The key word being "if enforced", which I'm having some doubt about. That's the only solace I can find for those in the EU, just hoping they don't have the resourced nor will to enforce either passed article.

Just a sample opinion on 13 (before it passed),

The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    If it's enforced as it's worded, content creaters will be put in too much restriction to be even worth it. The key word being "if enforced", which I'm having some doubt about. That's the only solace I can find for those in the EU, just hoping they don't have the resourced nor will to enforce either passed article.

Just a sample opinion on 13 (before it passed),

See! SEE! This is exactly what I'm talking about! I say people aren't talking about this rationally and then someone links some conspiracy whacko takes the Articles to the extreme and talks about how it's gonna destroy everything!

These guys are the online equivelent of that homeless dude with a "THE END IS NEAR! REPENT!" sign.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.