10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    every video i've seen, mobs of any higher level area seem to take a lot more to kill than something in fo4 would.

they also run in packs, almost like dungeon trash. but i think that's down to the AI just not being as good as fo4's.
    Then the videos are being captured by people with crap gear/specs.

There's rough tiers of enemies, in addition to their level; Scorched and Feral Ghouls are low-tier; my lever-action rifle can one-shot them at max level pretty easy. Bodyshot, even. Super mutants are a step up, the tough ones could take 2 headshots. Some of the other "fun" enemies like anglers and wendigos and such, 2-3 headshots. The boss-type enemies like Mirelurk Queens, a bunch, but that's true in Fallout 4 too. The big bullet soaks are Scorchbeasts, but that issue is 90% the range dropoff, not that they have a ton of health; if they land and you get close, you can pop 'em down real fast.

My lever-action rifle is not legendary; just a regular, crafted gun. It's also not my strongest gun; my gauss rifle is, but I haven't been using it, because the ammo's expensive. I also only have the rifle damage perks each at 1*, so if I invested another 6 perk points, I could punch another +30% damage (still screwing with my spec and I've had other priorities).

The only fight that's really MMO-y is the Scorchbeast Queen, who IS a big bullet-soak, but again, range dropoff is the major issue.

As for "running in packs", enemies generally spawn in groups, but that's absolutely the case in 3/NV/4, too. The AI is nearly identical to those games, improved somewhat over 4 if anything, a little less glitchy overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Then the videos are being captured by people with crap gear/specs.

There's rough tiers of enemies, in addition to their level; Scorched and Feral Ghouls are low-tier; my lever-action rifle can one-shot them at max level pretty easy. Bodyshot, even. Super mutants are a step up, the tough ones could take 2 headshots. Some of the other "fun" enemies like anglers and wendigos and such, 2-3 headshots. The boss-type enemies like Mirelurk Queens, a bunch, but that's true in Fallout 4 too. The big bullet soaks are Scorchbeasts, but that issue is 90% the range dropoff, not that they have a ton of health; if they land and you get close, you can pop 'em down real fast.

My lever-action rifle is not legendary; just a regular, crafted gun. It's also not my strongest gun; my gauss rifle is, but I haven't been using it, because the ammo's expensive. I also only have the rifle damage perks each at 1*, so if I invested another 6 perk points, I could punch another +30% damage (still screwing with my spec and I've had other priorities).

The only fight that's really MMO-y is the Scorchbeast Queen, who IS a big bullet-soak, but again, range dropoff is the major issue.

As for "running in packs", enemies generally spawn in groups, but that's absolutely the case in 3/NV/4, too. The AI is nearly identical to those games, improved somewhat over 4 if anything, a little less glitchy overall.
    hmmm, i'll have to watch oxhorn's livestreams or something. see some shit in real time.

the thing that seems lacking in the ai is hiding and shooting from around corners still. like they all kinda just swarm to you, rather than being tactical at all.

fo4, the people with melee weapons do swarm you, but the ranged guys usually duck behind something.

10+ Year Old Account
    hmmm, i'll have to watch oxhorn's livestreams or something. see some shit in real time.

the thing that seems lacking in the ai is hiding and shooting from around corners still. like they all kinda just swarm to you, rather than being tactical at all.

fo4, the people with melee weapons do swarm you, but the ranged guys usually duck behind something.
    If you're fighting enemies that have guns, they'll use cover. Watch more streams. Scorched, Super Mutants, Mole Miners, all use cover freely. Bots generally don't bother, but they never have in the past either. A lot of the melee-type enemies have different attack patterns, too; dogs and wolves will run circles around you before dashing in, for instance.

*Person thinks it's a good idea to start a brand new character in survival mode meant to mostly contain all of the playerbase's toxic players*
    *Person gets killed and camp immediately outside of the Vault*
    *Pikachu face*

10+ Year Old Account
    Thinking about trying the game again after not liking it much at start. What is there to know about the new survival vs the adventure mode now? Also is there a non melee builds that is pretty decent? I used rifles a lot when i first tried it but never really felt like it was all that good.

so, the pvp servers are up for a day, and people are already bitching about one shotting.

idk, if you get shot irl, how well do you fare? probably not very well. it's dumb to whine over one shotting.
    If it's getting to the point the most defensive power armors and setup in the game are being 1 shot by guys people pointing an explosive weapon in their direction, yeah, I'd say it's completely out of balance. It's like there isn't even a point to having armor in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    Thinking about trying the game again after not liking it much at start. What is there to know about the new survival vs the adventure mode now? Also is there a non melee builds that is pretty decent? I used rifles a lot when i first tried it but never really felt like it was all that good.
    Rifles mostly scale up for end game to the point you can 1 shot anything with a sneak build. Idk how good they were leveling or if I just didn't have my spec right during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    If it's getting to the point the most defensive power armors and setup in the game are being 1 shot by guys people pointing an explosive weapon in their direction, yeah, I'd say it's completely out of balance. It's like there isn't even a point to having armor in the first place.
    if power armor is being one shot, then i agree that is wrong.

hell, i think power armor takes too much damage in fo4 too. shit should make you a walking tank vs. anything less than the minigun.

76 does have .50cal machine guns though, that should kill power armor.

if power armor is being one shot, then i agree that is wrong.

hell, i think power armor takes too much damage in fo4 too. shit should make you a walking tank vs. anything less than the minigun.

76 does have .50cal machine guns though, that should kill power armor.
    Just watched Oxhorn's stream of the new mode, he basically gets instantly melted in his power armor while all he can do in return is wittle their health down with a lowly gauss rifle. Besides the broken damage though, it actually seemed a bit fun. I just wish they would get rid of all the caps lost on death.

I think even Bethesda realizes one shotting is bad seeing as there patch notes they made some attempt at nerfing 1 shot methods. Didn't do enough against explosive shotguns though. There's really no point either to having healing items if you're health is only going to be at 100 or 0.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2019-03-27 at 06:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just watched Oxhorn's stream of the new mode, he basically gets instantly melted in his power armor while all he can do in return is wittle their health down with a lowly gauss rifle. Besides the broken damage though, it actually seemed a bit fun. I just wish they would get rid of all the caps lost on death.

I think even Bethesda realizes one shotting is bad seeing as there patch notes they made some attempt at nerfing 1 shot methods. Didn't do enough against explosive shotguns though. It's really a point either to have healing items if you're health is only going to be at 100 or 0.
    I have watched a few videos now and I think Adventure Mode is for me. It's one step closer to no pvp for me lol.

I think even Bethesda realizes one shotting is bad seeing as there patch notes they made some attempt at nerfing 1 shot methods. Didn't do enough against explosive shotguns though. There's really no point either to having healing items if you're health is only going to be at 100 or 0.
    i think that one shotting is ok, it just depends on what's happening.

if you explosive shotgun someone in leather armor from 5 or 10ft away, they should probably die. if you snipe someone in the head, they should probably die. eat them up with a machine gun, probably die.

if they're in power armor, that is another story, but there's still things that should eat them up i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzweNpf2DyM

I guess this is a more appropriate representation of survival mode so far. Your weapons either to little to no damage, guessing because it's bugged, or you get one shot. I have no idea what deciding which category people's damage fits into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzweNpf2DyM

I guess this is a more appropriate representation of survival mode so far. Your weapons either to little to no damage, guessing because it's bugged, or you get one shot. I have no idea what deciding which category people's damage fits into.
    The last thing I'd do in survival is wear power armor. Legendary effects from armor are just too good. -15% damage while sprinting x5 (+some DR/ER if you pick moving target) or -15% while standing still x5 puts you in a different league than power armor. Not that I have a full set (maybe 2 pieces of each, spread across characters). I think my chameleon sniper is the only character I have that has a chance in this environment. Only being able to fast travel to train stations puts the mire as a dead zone which is already my favorite place to hang out.

I'm not sure why anyone would choose to level up here, or even set foot in the door without a perfect spec/pretty decent gear. It's one thing to call it toxic, but another to just expect you're going to be left alone walking in a pit of vipers just because you're a lowbie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival is PvP free-for-all. I honestly wouldn't recommend it until you're leveled up and geared, or are a masochist; everyone will be able to pick on you pretty badly. It's like leveling in a PvP server in WoW, except that you get marked as a target occasionally, they get to take a bunch of your stuff when they kill you, AND you could just . . . not be on a PVP server any time you want.

I've been rocking a stealth sniper/rifles build. It's totally fine, even without legendaries. Your best starter weapon is likely a pipe revolver modded into a rifle format; hunting rifles look nice but the ammo's a little less common and it's bolt-action, so the rate of fire isn't as great. Pipe revolver rifle will carry you into the 40s no problem.

Power Armor is a bad idea. It's noisy, it's crap for stealth compared to armor that can have bonuses, and I'm pretty darn sure there's no legendary power armor pieces. You get a SLIGHTLY higher DR, but that can be offset with DR perks that only work outside power armor, making normal armor even better. The only real advantage to PA is that you get rad resists and ballistic/energy DR; regular armor can't get that kind of rad resist without using a hazmat suit, which unequips all armor pieces. The power armor perks just aren't that useful for PvP, and the only reason you'd need rad resists is if they're packing a gamma gun or radium rifle, which you likely won't know ahead of time.

Wearing normal armor and with some armor perks, you can have nearly the same DR and 5 sets of legendary affixes. With 5 Assassin's armor pieces, that's -40% player damage, stacking on top of DR protection. If it's multi-star and has the Sentinel feature too, that's even more damage reduction; -15% per piece (separate calculation from the former, you can't reach 100%)

The guy is getting wrecked because his gear is garbage compared to those he's fighting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival is PvP free-for-all. I honestly wouldn't recommend it until you're leveled up and geared, or are a masochist; everyone will be able to pick on you pretty badly. It's like leveling in a PvP server in WoW, except that you get marked as a target occasionally, they get to take a bunch of your stuff when they kill you, AND you could just . . . not be on a PVP server any time you want.

I've been rocking a stealth sniper/rifles build. It's totally fine, even without legendaries. Your best starter weapon is likely a pipe revolver modded into a rifle format; hunting rifles look nice but the ammo's a little less common and it's bolt-action, so the rate of fire isn't as great. Pipe revolver rifle will carry you into the 40s no problem.

Power Armor is a bad idea. It's noisy, it's crap for stealth compared to armor that can have bonuses, and I'm pretty darn sure there's no legendary power armor pieces. You get a SLIGHTLY higher DR, but that can be offset with DR perks that only work outside power armor, making normal armor even better. The only real advantage to PA is that you get rad resists and ballistic/energy DR; regular armor can't get that kind of rad resist without using a hazmat suit, which unequips all armor pieces. The power armor perks just aren't that useful for PvP, and the only reason you'd need rad resists is if they're packing a gamma gun or radium rifle, which you likely won't know ahead of time.

Wearing normal armor and with some armor perks, you can have nearly the same DR and 5 sets of legendary affixes. With 5 Assassin's armor pieces, that's -40% player damage, stacking on top of DR protection. If it's multi-star and has the Sentinel feature too, that's even more damage reduction; -15% per piece (separate calculation from the former, you can't reach 100%)

The guy is getting wrecked because his gear is garbage compared to those he's fighting.
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to start a fresh character and give it another shot.

10+ Year Old Account

Do you have a link to the sneak rifle build? Right now Im just using the perks where you can find extra ammo and healing stuff in boxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have a link to the sneak rifle build? Right now Im just using the perks where you can find extra ammo and healing stuff in boxes.
    This is what I consider the basics;
    https://www.falloutbuilds.com/fo76/p...EDNgK7AQOPAQMA

You'll note that this leaves you 17 SPECIAL points and 19 additional perk points (1 required to be in Str and End) to play with. That's on purpose; there's a lot of possible options from here. You could take utility features (I have a bunch of weight-reduction ones, for junk and ballistic ammo, and some picklock ones in Perception, for instance). You could pack in more Luck features for VATS silliness. You could add a second weapon spec (I added in Shotguns and still had some room in my spec, though I swapped back out since I didn't find I gained much).

I'm currently rejigging to fit Tormentor back in (rifle shots have 15% chance to cripple limbs). When stealth fails, crippling their legs is a MASSIVE advantage. I need a couple more points of luck, moved from Strength, to get there. Think I have the levels to do it now. Tormentor's something you'll really want, IMO, but you CAN get by without it. I recommend some Strength and weight-reduction perks to fill it, but that's definitely for convenience.

I include Lone Wanderer, sub in group-friendly perks if you play with friends in a group all the time. You want one or the other.

If you're wondering why there's only Rank 1 of the Rifleman perks, that's not a mistake; they add +10% for the first perk point, and +5% for the second and third each. 3 perk points for +30% damage makes sense. Another 6 perk points for +30% makes less sense. I'd prioritize room for Bloody Mess first; it's the same +5% damage per point, but I feel Luck is more useful than maxing out Perception, and Bloody Mess applies to ALL weapons, not just rifles, which helps if you carry a secondary type. I'm debating adding more points into Rifleman perks, but I need more levels to shuffle stat points and get the perk cards to do so. I think I can safely pull points from Str or Int with where I'm invested (higher than the above link).

I don't consider Class Freak and Starched Genes to be optional. Mutations are game-changing. I'm currently running with Marsupial, Speed Demon, Chameleon, Healing Factor, Bird Bones, and Eagle Eyes.
    Marsupial and Speed Demon I consider must-haves for the spec. Marsupial's jump height lets you get onto places that exploit enemy pathing or get you to useful shortcuts. Speed Demon's reload speed and movement speed bumps are a massive advantage when you rely on sniper rifles and stealth (which slows you down).
    Healing Factor is "nice". Stimpacks are now in-combat-only, ever. If you use chems a ton, this tradeoff may not be worth it. I don't, so it is for me.
    Bird Bones and Eagle Eyes are nice and the penalty (with Class Freak maxed) not significant. I might add Egg Head for my next serum, there's little downside that matters to me.
    Chameleon is totally useless to me, since I wear armor. But if you go the "cheap but takes forever" route to getting mutations, you'll be sitting in rads and washing it off until you get a new mutation, and then server hopping. If you get Twisted Muscles, you need to get rid of it, which means an equal chance of getting rid of any good mutation; I had to gain and lose Marsupial and/or Speed Demon dozens of times before I got it right.

For me, Empath and Herd Mentality were equally awful and I'd have to purge those too. If you play in a group all the time, those two are GREAT, and you'll want both, and you'll probably have a way easier time getting to a decent mutation setup.

Talons isn't ideal; you'll get a -1 Agi penalty for no real gain, but -1 Agi isn't that big a deal.
    Grounded is either great or terrible. Do you ever want to consider using energy weapons? Note that the Gauss Rifle, probably the best sniper weapon in the game, counts as energy for this mutation. If you want to use energy weapons, you can't have the Grounded mutation.

Pretty much everything else is ignorable or handy-but-not-critical. I want to pick up Egg Head and Adrenal Reaction, but I need caps for serums. Not risking getting a "bad" natural mutation.

On a completely separate note, you'll PROBABLY want to carry 2 weapons, that use 2 different kinds of ammo. Snipers don't burn tons of ammo, but if you focus on one weapon/ammo type, you'll keep running out. I was using a Hunting Rifle/Lever-Action Rifle, just swapped the Hunting Rifle to a Handmade since I picked up a level 45 Two-Shot Handmade today. And then had to spend 1800 caps to get the plans and start spam-crafting handmades to get mods. Level 70, still have tons of work to do.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-03-29 at 05:21 AM.

I mean, it shouldn't be ideal game design would have power armor trade mobility and stealth for tankiness. If it were up to me, you shouldn't be able to do those marsupial jumps in power armor and you'd maybe walk a bit slower, but you also wouldn't stagger or get one shot.

No one should feel obligated to farm the exact right legendaries so they can have a shot in the that mode. Especially when the only legendary drop method involving lotto levels of luck to get anything you want. And most of the current BiS legendaries are just left over from the dupers of the game.

I've seen this type of free for all system in other games before. Warmode in WoW. The wildy in Runescape. Honestly, it just attracts the scummiest parts of the game's player base who have no interest in fun fair fights. That itself alone I wouldn't have a problem with, but the game developers keep on making the same mistake and incentivizing doing these modes. Any normal player trying out said zones is honestly just going to be in for a bad experience because of said scummy players, so it's like, why do you want your players to suffer? Just leave it as is with no special rewards so it can contain the toxicity.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2019-03-29 at 05:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, it shouldn't be ideal game design would have power armor trade mobility and stealth for tankiness. If it were up to me, you shouldn't be able to do those marsupial jumps in power armor and you'd maybe walk a bit slower, but you also wouldn't stagger or get one shot.
    I mean, it is a tradeoff. Most people in Adventure use PA. It's got awesome mods, just wildly different from the ones on regular armor. It IS tankier than regular armor, AND carries significant rad resist too; if you're trying to make up the DR difference with regular armor, you're needing to invest significant perk points to do so.

I think the real problem is that power armor doesn't drop from mobs, and thus can't have legendary affixes. Even without those, it's still really good. About the only spec it's not ideal for is sneaky rifle builds, and those aren't optimal in PvE at all.

No one should feel obligated to farm the exact right legendaries so they can have a shot in the that mode. Especially when the only legendary drop method involving lotto levels of luck to get anything you want. And most of the current BiS legendaries are just left over from the dupers of the game.
    I have nothing I haven't looted myself.

Since the launch of Survival, I've got two Assassin's armor pieces in my stash. They're just one-star legendaries, and they're not ideal armor types (Raider and Robot, IIRC), but it's not that hard to get legendaries if you go looking.

Once the "new car smell" fades on Survival, I imagine it'll be a lot less ganky, and will be more like the Dark Zone in The Division was; PvP free-for-all that's still primarily PvE-focused. If you're taking a ton of caps and aid items into Survival, you're being silly.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Due to the issue with armor penetration and laser weapons I switched my build around again for explosives with melee backup for farming. So now I’m having a blast with a 1* Bloodied Auto Grenade Launcher and a 1* Bloodied Fire Axe. Its hilarious to send mobs into space with the grenade launcher.

On a different note its kinda weird that you would be able to solo a stealth sniper and just chain sneak attacks with the Escape Artist perk while doing the exact same thing just in a team doesnt work. Just weird / bad design that forces people into Vats usage (Its good, I know).

I never like it if a game “forces” you into something or “punishes” you for playing one way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ochinko View Post
    Due to the issue with armor penetration and laser weapons I switched my build around again for explosives with melee backup for farming. So now I’m having a blast with a 1* Bloodied Auto Grenade Launcher and a 1* Bloodied Fire Axe. Its hilarious to send mobs into space with the grenade launcher.

On a different note its kinda weird that you would be able to solo a stealth sniper and just chain sneak attacks with the Escape Artist perk while doing the exact same thing just in a team doesnt work. Just weird / bad design that forces people into Vats usage (Its good, I know).

I never like it if a game “forces” you into something or “punishes” you for playing one way.
    Really don't know what's going on with grouping and Stealth. It SHOULD put you in [CAUTION] state if your allies attack, but that's it; actual detection and moving to [DANGER] should be a similar process as solo.