Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Spell Batching in Classic

Spell Batching in Classic
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Since we first announced World of Warcraft Classic, we’ve seen questions about spell batching. While we never really eliminated spell batching in WoW, we did change how (and how often) we process batches of actions coming from players, so you’re less likely to notice that processing in today’s game. We’ve been working to ensure that in WoW Classic, the gameplay of activating spells and effects will not differ from the experience of playing original WoW.

It was relatively common in the original game to see a warrior Pummel a mage who simultaneously and successfully Polymorphed the warrior. The mage suffered Pummel damage but no spell-school lock, because the mage didn’t get interrupted. This could seem paradoxical, but it could happen because the Pummel and Polymorph were both in the same batch, and were both valid actions at the start of the batch. For the most part, things like that don’t happen in modern WoW, but they still can. We’ve made improvements to batch frequency, and the game is much more responsive than it used to be. Still, if you manage to get both a Pummel and a Polymorph into a tiny processing window in modern WoW, you’ll experience the same behavior as in original WoW.

As with many other areas of WoW Classic, authenticity is our primary concern. It used to be the norm that combat flow and PvP balance were defined and tuned in a game where spell messages were resolved less frequently. There was a single game loop that processed all messages sent and received every server tick. Nowadays, the game processes multiple loops for messages of differing priorities. Spell casts are high priority, and have been for a long time.

For WoW Classic, we’re moving spell casts to a low-priority loop that will cause them to be processed at the frequency that best fits how the game actually played in version 1.12. Two mages will be able to Polymorph each other somewhat reliably, resulting in two sheep nervously pacing around at range. Two warriors will be able to Charge one another, and the end result will be both warriors standing stunned in each other’s original location.

We think it’ll be fun to see those sorts of things happening again.

Can't wait for all the rage when people actually have to experience this type of pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god yes, I am extremely hyped for this.

10+ Year Old Account
    changes loot trading

"authenticity is our primary concern"

k

As someone who had 500 ms during Classic I can't actually remember if this is something I ever noticed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    changes loot trading

k
    if you still dont understand the reason behind you are a fucking RETARD

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can’t wait to see people rage about being permanently feared by warlocks, sheeped or even better a single rogue stun/sap 2 people till they dead

changes loot trading

k
    Literally the only thing impacted by the loot trading is not requiring players to make tickets to have loot moved around in raids, which was the norm. Loot trading existed in vanilla, you just needed a GM to do it for you.

All of you that think you want Classic are in for a world of hurt. Most of you probably barely played it, if at all.

As a warrior during Vanilla I can attest that the Charge thing happened a lot...

7+ Year Old Account
    changes loot trading

k
    I doubt people will mind it given how Blizzard wants to give the 1.12 version of AV to a 1.12 patch version of the game, yet people want the 1.5 version of AV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    I doubt people will mind it given how Blizzard wants to give the 1.12 version of AV to a 1.12 patch version of the game, yet people want the 1.5 version of AV.
    See my sig, what vanilla means to one person and what vanilla means to another are as different as what brexit means to one brit and what It means to another.

The end result is most people are likly to be disappointed what ever brexit.... Err... Classic is delivered.

Maybe they should hold a players vote? Haha.

Ok, so this change will add about 1-2 months of average player attention before quitting.

Instead of 6 months, they'll play about 8 and stay on live wow instead.

Does this upset you? I'm sorry but that's how I feel. #SorryNotSorry

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Maybe they should hold a players vote? Haha.
    You may think this is silly, but they actually do this in Oldschool Runescape with high success. Any change to the game requires a 75% of player votes

Oh yes big win. Just huge

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Ok, so this change will add about 1-2 months of average player attention before quitting.

Instead of 6 months, they'll play about 8 and stay on live wow instead.

Does this upset you? I'm sorry but that's how I feel. #SorryNotSorry
    I honestly don't believe that most classic people will return to live even if they get bored. Pretty pathetic that you actually want the classic project to fail when a lot of people are really looking forward to it. #EADS

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    yeah thats a good step into the right direction

changes loot trading

k
    You have no clue what you're talking about do you?

I'm just here for the no change crying