Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I fully believe "life" financials, economics and civics should be taught in school. However it has come to my attention that those subjects are barely touched on. So in response I have taken it upon myself to educate my son. I think children would be better served learning those subjects, then calculus or algebra 4
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Yes. I literally squandered 10 years of retirement, not because I had bad spending habits, but because I thought "Meh, I dont need to contribute to 401k, I'm only 20, that shit is for old people".

If I had a time machine, I would go back and slap the ever living fuck out of my face.
    Retirement is a scam here more or less. It gets lower and lower every year. And years to get retired went up. It works different than US at least.
    Best you can get is €500 per month, but if you add medicine and other things in a mix --- well it sucks for old people.

They should teach this in school to. To save money for old days. To invest it somewhere and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    I think schooling should be focused on real life applications instead of concepts and theories of stuff we never use. Should be mandatory to have full comprehension of a 2nd language.
    You suggest much of what is taught is not applicable in life, I disagree. School teaches you how to learn. What is a useful skill changes too often - if you can pick up and learn anything, you'll never be short on necessary skills.

I agree on the second language thing, but probably for different reasons. Second languages are super useful, and once you know one, learning a third is markedly less hard, and it's a good way of developing problem solving skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    I fully believe "life" financials, economics and civics should be taught in school. However it has come to my attention that those subjects are barely touched on. So in response I have taken it upon myself to educate my son. I think children would be better served learning those subjects, then calculus or algebra 4
    I wish mine would teach me this. But lucky i live in age on internet so i kinda learned it before i started doing any serios mistakes.

Not economics., responsibility. They need to teach responsibility. Both school and parents.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Well, probably. But kids dont get to pick their schools. So you can't really blame them for the school not teaching it.
    Can't really put all the blame on the schools either, if they have a legal mandate to have students pass a specific curriculum and they don't have the funding or staffing to do anything more than that. Close friend of mine is teaching high school science; as a first year teacher they have her teaching 120 student classes per period in a school with thousands. She says that if it doesn't work towards the OGT the administration won't bother with it, because OGT pass rates are the absolute highest priority because that's where funding comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Limit as how much money you can spend, before going broke.
    You have 1000$ on card.
    Your card can go into -250$.
    Now you have a new tv and you are in - 150$ (tv costed 1100$).
    Now the credit card company will charge you if you dont pay out those -150$ by the end of mounth (or whatever services put in the contract).
    To make it simple, lets say you own 5% for every time you dont pay on time.
    165.4 etc
    Lol cards can go negative now? What? They just decline you here.
    And your math doesn't seem to add up...

10+ Year Old Account
    The guy in the OP is a complete and utter fucking fraud, he has been exposed more than once for completely making shit up and he even has a swindle game where he would sell idiots a bunch of get rich quick cds like Tony Robbins or Kevin Trudeau and countless others.

And schools already teach kids about money, most high schools at least when I grew up taught economics, although guess what, the vast majority of Americans are fucking in debt that includes people that went to school and majored in it at universities.

This guy doesn't know shit, and the problem with money isn't those hardly getting shit from those holding it up or not working hard enough, the problem is the system that allow bullshit artist like this to make money and lie to people under the first amendment whilst making millions, while telling everyone else fairytales about an American Dream or otherwise.

Most of the ways to really success or build something have been over looked a long time ago. Plumbing, Electricians, Civil Engineering, Doctors, Nurses, Mechanics etc.

Except of course everyone who wants to be like the dude in the video of the OP, telling stories and telling people bullshit stories getting rich off infomercials in leased mansions and rented sports car talking about KNOW LEDGE lmao.

In my experience it was easy if I could do it over here is what I would have told myself and I would have been even better

1. Get a fucking job DO IT! (don't half ass, come in late, or complain)
    2. Save your money stop buying shit you don't need (Budget)
    3. Save up don't make payments if you really want something
    4. Stop wasting resources, Time, Money, or Mind on stupid shit like trying to be fucking cool
    5. Take risks but calculated risk, think before you fucking act in anything.

None of this shit will make you rich, but you will end up 90% ahead of everyone else, the rest is all how you invest, your time, money, and efforts. Also DON'T GAMBLE no such thing as luck.

The long sure game is how you build.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I wish mine would teach me this. But lucky i live in age on internet so i kinda learned it before i started doing any serios mistakes.
    Don't feel bad I had to figure it out on my own to.

Quote Originally Posted by oxyzz View Post
    Not economics., responsibility. They need to teach responsibility. Both school and parents.
    Teaching kids personal accountability has always been on the parents and the parents support group.

Plus teaching your child "life" financials, economics, and civics really feed into that.

Personally I have instilled in my son that logic supersedes feelings, if he believes something he needs to give me logical reasons for his beliefs. I want him to question everything even me.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This happens if you dont read the small text and end up opt in for as a feature of account. But generaly by law they cant do that.

https://www.balancepro.net/education...checkacct.html

My school taught us a little about personal finance, mostly as way to introduce us to math concepts.

Like the power of compound interest. I wish there was more of a focus on personal finance instead of higher math which I rarely use. Yes, I understand that higher math helps with developing logic, but I think personal finance would do the same only it would be more useful.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Can't really put all the blame on the schools either, if they have a legal mandate to have students pass a specific curriculum and they don't have the funding or staffing to do anything more than that. Close friend of mine is teaching high school science; as a first year teacher they have her teaching 120 student classes per period in a school with thousands. She says that if it doesn't work towards the OGT the administration won't bother with it, because OGT pass rates are the absolute highest priority because that's where funding comes from.
    Yeah, there are problems up and down with the education system. Mostly from attempts to run it like a business when it isn't. Like, why do public schools have a board of directors?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I always wondered why we got no education when it comes to life finances. And no math doesnt count.
    Its more or less banned topic there.
    When I was in sixth grade (1984), we were taught how to make a budget. This was elementary school. We were taught many vital life lessons in public schools back then. For some reason, I couldn't imagine why, they removed a lot of that.

I believe George Carlin said it best:

"The owners of this country don’t want a population capable of critical thinking,they want obedient workers,people just smart enough to run the machines and just dumb enough to passively accept their situation.You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own and control the corporations. They’ve long since bought, and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the state houses, the city halls, they got the judges in their back pockets and they own all the big media companies, so they control just about all of the news and information you get to hear.They've got you by the balls.''

Look at how education is handled here in the US. It's abominable. We rank number 29 in overall education. We rank 31 in math, science, and reading. Yet we call ourselves "the greatest nation on the planet". We sepnd 5% of our budget on education. That is a serious oversight. We're intentionally manufacturing idiots. It's disgusting to watch. This is why I never have and never will have children.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    Should be mandatory to have full comprehension of a 2nd language.
    Why? In all my years I've never had a use for a second language. I've never left, nor do I ever expect an opportunity to escape from, this country.
    Last edited by Surreality; 2019-03-29 at 02:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They dont teach this in every country. At least not in EU.

See the PDF file of Financial Education in Europe and Financing Schools in Europe - Erasmusplus.sk .

Some Us countrys have it, but not all.
    My suggestion is you practice what you preach and might want to get some education yourself. Most schools teach some type of finances at some point in your school years. Hell I remember in elementary school we had "fake" stores where we spent our "fake" paychecks and had to balance our "fake" lives to make it and save. Also you might want to learn geography...the US is not split into countries...unless there's something they haven't told me my whole life....and I live in the US.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Officially no, but lets be honest, Texas, California and Florida are their own countries

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Before teaching about finance, they should teach proper spelling and grammar.
    Glad I'm not the only one that thought about that lol.

Though I do think some of this stuff should be taught in school also.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    That's not how a credit card works. If the limit on your credit card is $1000, you can never charge more than $1000 on it. It's literally impossible.
    That is incorrect. The credit card issuer may choose to authorize the charge. (I've been working with credit cards for almost 20 years)

In addition, there are newer types of VISA credit cards which have no "pre-set credit limit" per se. (Called Signature cards)...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    If you go past your credit limit the card will be declined. If you go past your limit on a debit card/checking account then you get hit with a Non-Sufficient Funds Fee.
    If you go past your credit limit, the credit card issuer may choose to authorize the charge of decline it... it often depends on how fast past the limit you are going/how big the authorization is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Checking accounts can go into negative (overdraft)... cards don't go negative, but they can go overlimit
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Surreality View Post
    Why? In all my years I've never had a use for a second language. I've never left, nor do I ever expect an opportunity to escape from, this country.
    It's very beneficial to the development of problem solving skills, and delaying the onset of shit like dementia and Alzheimer's. Also it's just kinda cool.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    1. Get a fucking job DO IT! (don't half ass, come in late, or complain)
    2. Save your money stop buying shit you don't need (Budget)
    3. Save up don't make payments if you really want something
    4. Stop wasting resources, Time, Money, or Mind on stupid shit like trying to be fucking cool
    5. Take risks but calculated risk, think before you fucking act in anything.

None of this shit will make you rich, but you will end up 90% ahead of everyone else, the rest is all how you invest, your time, money, and efforts. Also DON'T GAMBLE no such thing as luck.

The long sure game is how you build.

There are a few things that aren't explained as well in school as they could be. Concepts about building up savings as a means of weathering emergencies (and perhaps how many months of income you should look at saving up), how compounded interest works and what affect it can have on how much you really pay for that loan, how certain types of loans are structured, etc.

For interest, detailing what an interest that is compounded daily will look like, vs one that is compounded once a month. Also, explaining how a home mortgage works (30 year loan, interest is calculated compounding monthly, but they calculate full interest in if you take the full 30 years to pay it back, and your first few years of payments almost go completely to interest, sliding to more and more principal as your approach the end of the loan, etc)... the average joe probably doesn't know that a 30 year mortgage, for $100k... they'll end up paying back like 330k or 340k if their interest was like 3.5 to 4% or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

This happens if you dont read the small text and end up opt in for as a feature of account. But generaly by law they cant do that.

https://www.balancepro.net/education...checkacct.html
    That's a checking account, not a credit card. We are talking about credit cards.