View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    That's it then, regular extensions for the forseeable future. In 50 years the fact the UK is in the process of leaving the EU will be a weird bit of pub trivia like MPs not being allowed to wear armour in parliament, and in a century the Department for Exiting the European Union will have as much real power as Black Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Waiting for a video by "a different bias" to explain what is going on, LOL!
    That won't be up for a few hours. He'll be doing his teaching job for about an hour longer, might even have to do a Thete gaming video first for Warhammer or Warcraft.

So - what would be funny is if they agree Withdrawal+ (e.g., customs union) on Monday but then the French veto a further extension on April 10. Leaving us with no choice but to revoke on April 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Voting needs to be made mandatory.
    That just leads to an increase in invalid votes. Not voting is a part of democracy.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    So - what would be funny is if they agree Withdrawal+ (e.g., customs union) on Monday but then the French veto a further extension on April 10. Leaving us with no choice but to revoke on April 11.
    Honestly seems more likely than a no-deal brexit, not that I think it'll be the outcome that soon tho, but who knows. All we know is that the no-deal brexit isnt a viable option for the majority of the parliament. Revoking A50 and redoing it soon™ is more likely than crashing out; a hard brexit can't be redone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Not to be an ass but I don't want the UK to get a long extension, it tiring if we need to have this circus continue for another year.

Stay or leave.
    That's what I'm saying, though... it'll have to be the EU27 who dictate that. ATM everything (apart from revoke, which is unlikely) involves a longer extension.

Ahh... sorry - no, I'm wrong. Pundits are saying there could be a MV4 that passes if parliament coalesces round a softer Brexit on Monday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    The art of negotiations and compromise seems lost on UK politicians...
    Yes, completely. And this is the entire problem. Adversarial politics.

But hey!!! FPTP gives strong governance!!!

I find it amusing how 27 different EU countries can more easily come to agreements and decisions than the UK government... They needed only about half a week to come to the decision to allow the UK a small extension, which in itself is quite a feat because quite a few member states were strongly opposed to any extension at all. The art of negotiations and compromise seems lost on UK politicians...
    Because it's not a part of our democracy, traditionally. Before 2008 FPTP worked fine, kept the extremists out secured large majorities for the Govt. With large majorities and a Govt led tradition there was no need for compromises to be sought in the HoC. So ye, this is completely unsurprising when May has chosen to lead the Brexit process as if she commanded a majority of hundreds rather than the reality.

Monday is do or die for the HoC. Because of May's mishandling they are right to blame her for this utter shambles but come Monday the ball in their court and they have to show that they can do a better job than May.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    You are quite right dribbles. For parliament to be representative Leave should have 171 MPs. 66 million people, 17.4 million voted leave. You do the maths.

You would still lose massively, but you wouldn't be able to argue the maths. Tick tock, almost over now.
    Your math is ridiculous.

By taking the electorate as a total of 66 million you are counting babies as well in there? Senile old people? You have deemed that they would vote to remain? LOL nice non democracy you are in favour of...

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Ah, get ready for EU elections Brits
    You are looking forward to the return of Farage? Miss him that much?

Get ready for the rotten UK returning to the EU barrel. Watching the poisonous machinations being spread amongst the rest of the EU by the UK is one of the most exquisite upsides of this EU/remainer created mess for brexiteers.

I hope we don't turn the whole EU barrel rotten. /s
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Your math is ridiculous.

By taking the electorate as a total of 66 million you are counting babies as well in there? Senile old people? You have deemed that they would vote to remain? LOL nice non democracy you are in favour of...

Get ready for the rotten UK returning to the EU barrel. Watching the poisonous machinations being spread amongst the rest of the EU by the UK is one of the most exquisite upsides of this EU/remainer created mess for brexiteers.

Are you implying that the UK is a disease? I doubt any other country wants to experience to absolute shitshow the UK is having. And Farrage is easily ignored; one lunatic screaming now and then isnt going to do anything to the EU. At this point the UK is the redheaded stepchild.

I'm glad that revoking A50 is now getting closer, worst case scenario is a CU solution. Heck the CU solution is probably prefered, it'll keep the UK muted while we set the rules without you.

So CU or revoking A50/referendum it again. I rarely enjoy others misfortune, but I'll make an exception in your case. You might aswell change your location to little england.

There is a severe danger that, with all attention on the broader picture of what the UK does or doesn't want, that all the little stuff, all the stuff that actually matters gets forgotten about.

If the government gets more than a week into April and comes up with a plan the EU doesn't like then there is a serious risk of No Deal Exit without the neccesary bits of legislation having been pased through UK law leaving the law a complete and total mess with either huge gaps, references to regulators that don't apply, contradictions and all manner of other problems that every lawyer in the world will be pouring over with a fine tooth come in order to come up with some way to screw over the wider UK and make a bit of cash.

I think there is a compelling argument that the UK needs to admit it's fucked up and either a) revoke A50 in order to re-examine what they want to do or b) give up, accept no deal and start getting all that in order in preparation for the huge job of mending relations with others, both internal and external.

Outside of filming his social media clips for Russia Today, he isn't really there much anyway, is he?

I find it amusing how 27 different EU countries can more easily come to agreements and decisions than the UK government... They needed only about half a week to come to the decision to allow the UK a small extension, which in itself is quite a feat because quite a few member states were strongly opposed to any extension at all. The art of negotiations and compromise seems lost on UK politicians...
    It took Tusk 1 minute after the vote to tweet he was calling for a Council meeting on 10/04

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    That just leads to an increase in invalid votes. Not voting is a part of democracy.
    You can abstain but you have to show up so you have to physically make that choice there. It makes things far more representative it also makes it so people have to be allowed to vote rather by law, so companies or other external forces can't prevent it.

Anyone else feeling hungry? All that Gammon outside Westminster is making me salivate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voting shouldn't be made mandatory but registering to be on the electoral roll should.

We have people who vote, people who don't vote and then we have people who don't even register to vote. I'd deal with the latter group first.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    You can abstain but you have to show up so you have to physically make that choice there. It makes things far more representative it also makes it so people have to be allowed to vote rather by law, so companies or other external forces can't prevent it.
    The interesting thing about compulsory voting is that it makes the implementation of broadly left wing policies (e.g., high top tax rates) more likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Is your good humour deserting you, Mr D?!

I have to say - but what did you think was going to happen? There was never any majority for no deal. Either in parliament or amongst the public.

May should have sort consensus earlier. That she didn't is a source of national shame. Now we're in a mess.

10+ Year Old Account
    The interesting thing about compulsory voting is that it makes the implementation of broadly left wing policies (e.g., high top tax rates) more likely.
    You would think that right? In Belgium it's mandatory by law facing fines of a couple hundred of euros if you refuse to participate. The northern half votes centrum right to right wing which is the largest part. The southern half votes more left.

Maybe when you start of with bad barebone coverage of healthcare and what not these left leaning things are more in favour but here that isn't the case.

DUP considering Remain lol

Nigel Dodds tells me the UK should stay in the EU if that was only way to preserve NI’s place in UK. ‘I would stay in the European Union and remain rather than risk Northern Ireland’s position. That’s how strongly I feel about the union.’

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/sta...72627414872064

Anything for the Union!

DUP considering Remain lol

Nigel Dodds tells me the UK should stay in the EU if that was only way to preserve NI’s place in UK. ‘I would stay in the European Union and remain rather than risk Northern Ireland’s position. That’s how strongly I feel about the union.’

https://twitter.com/nicholaswatt/sta...72627414872064

Anything for the Union!
    The funny (= really sad) thing is that this was one of the main arguments to vote Remain three (!!!!) years ago!