Poll: If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Teleporter, I'd like to be able to just go back to Argentina over the week end for some good food and be back to Canada in time for work.

Instantaneous transportation anywhere. Teleportation.

Everything else, we can solve, given time. But traveling the universe doesn't look like it's going to be a problem easy to solve if we want it to be doable on what we currently understand as human timescales.

Replicator 100%.

Especially since it's been demonstrated in Star Trek that you can modify a replicator into a transporter, so it's effectively a twofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Would it though? Sounds like they type of thing that once someone buys it once.. they never buy it again.. and not even every individual. One in a family. Sounds like the type of thing that splashes in the pan.. and then suddenly stops.. but if you sale oil for the next 200 years...
    World domination man. If you own the technology to the creation of replicators, you control the supply chain of everything. You wouldn't be selling your replicator, you'd sell whatever your replicator turned into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replication
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_assembler

Assuming replicator A can turn into any item B by assuming its molecular structure on a lower cost than whatever the creation / mining of item B would cost, you'd literally be able to create everything forever, as the replicator should in theory be able to turn into whatever the substances are that are necessary to create more replicators. Assuming a 1 to 1 conversion, you'd only have to start mining asteroids rather than siphoning away our own planet.

Replicator, when we have that then we can impliment communism before its just killing alot of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    The replicator is too dangerous it would only create population explosions due to the access of easy food.

Id go with the weapons then sell them to the government for hundreds of billions of dollars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Replicator for sure

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The replicator is too dangerous it would only create population explosions due to the access of easy food.

Id go with the weapons then sell them to the government for hundreds of billions of dollars.
    Well with tech like replicators we could work on colonizing the Moon and perhaps even other places...depending on if it's just a food replicator or more.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    World domination man. If you own the technology to the creation of replicators, you control the supply chain of everything. You wouldn't be selling your replicator, you'd sell whatever your replicator turned into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replication
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_assembler

Assuming replicator A can turn into any item B by assuming its molecular structure on a lower cost than whatever the creation / mining of item B would cost, you'd literally be able to create everything forever, as the replicator should in theory be able to turn into whatever the substances are that are necessary to create more replicators. Assuming a 1 to 1 conversion, you'd only have to start mining asteroids rather than siphoning away our own planet.
    Right.. so just one person or group of people would have it.. so.. a world we pretty much live in now. Where that group just controls the resources. What a dream.. /s

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Right.. so just one person or group of people would have it.. so.. a world we pretty much live in now. Where that group just controls the resources. What a dream.. /s
    What does it matter? As long as they're not malicious.

I'd much rather have a single person controlling this. Better than everyone having access to everything - imagine replicator atomic bombs. There's a reason why in Stargate, Replicators were the biggest threat. Worse than Goa'uld.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmatrix View Post
    Replicator would be easier to hide. Buy new products, replicate them, return unopened original for a full refund.
    That cracked me up.

It is the point of view of a 21th century man from the US looking to make a buck.

Wait a minute!

Are you Ferengi?

Last edited by Themerlin; 2019-03-31 at 01:06 AM.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Replicators. Everything else in this poll is secondary. The only thing that is more important is actual working fusion power.

If a replicator was invented, the concept of work, money, world hunger or even robbery(for material gain) goes away as there would be no need for any of these things if they were widespread. You wouldn't need to work for someone else unless you actually wanted to, money would be a non existent thing as no material object would hold value anymore, hunger would die off if food was unlimited and can be made instantly and if everyone had a replicator, outside of just being an asshole, stealing anything other then the replicator itself would do nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Themerlin View Post
    That cracked me up.

It is the point of view of a 21th century man from the US looking to make a buck.

Wait a minute!

Are you Ferengi?

There is an episode of TNG where they find someone from the 20th century that has to be explained on how things work. Last episode of the first season, The Neutral Zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm transporter sounds great and all buut replicator would save me soooo much money

Hmm and neural interface akin to the tech from GOTS/SAO/ ACCEL world buut with..

Waiiit space station...if from trek universe i get Replicator, holideck and transporter all in one.

Actuallly why not a starship? I mean if a federation ship hellooo travel and replicators and holidecks whole nine yards..i get it all and more
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2019-03-31 at 01:28 AM.

As long as the replicator comes with an energy source and a full library of future tech specifications it would be like choosing "All of the above plus everything else."
    Signature not found

a replicator then use it to make transporters? =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Anti-aging technology. Nano-robots that can repair your body would also be equally good.

Consciousness transfer. Either to a different body or to a digital environment. Kinda like in that Black Mirror episode.

A replicator would be awesome. You could create any favorite food or item. I would replicate all my favorite foods, Nintendo switch, all the best computer parts, and a Gibson Les Paul.
    I would want the replicator or a really intelligent self-aware AI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Replicators. Everything else in this poll is secondary. The only thing that is more important is actual working fusion power.

If a replicator was invented, the concept of work, money, world hunger or even robbery(for material gain) goes away as there would be no need for any of these things if they were widespread. You wouldn't need to work for someone else unless you actually wanted to, money would be a non existent thing as no material object would hold value anymore, hunger would die off if food was unlimited and can be made instantly and if everyone had a replicator, outside of just being an asshole, stealing anything other then the replicator itself would do nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an episode of TNG where they find someone from the 20th century that has to be explained on how things work. Last episode of the first season, The Neutral Zone.
    I remember that episode.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    A replicator would be awesome. You could create any favorite food or item. I would replicate all my favorite foods, Nintendo switch, all the best computer parts, and a Gibson Les Paul.
    I would want the replicator or a really intelligent self-aware AI.
    With your picture, I am suspect about the AI part. Might go all terminator on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

If you could pick one sci fi technology what would be?

My answer is obvious, Replicator. Hunger would be eradicated.
    fun factoid, replicators are not perfect in stark trek.

Additionally, read/write errors cause a number of single-bit errors to occur in replicated materials. Though usually undetectable to human senses, computer scanning can be used to reveal these discrepancies, and they may explain the frequent complaint (by some gourmets and connoisseurs) that replicated food and beverages suffer from substandard taste. These errors also may cause a nontoxic material to become toxic when replicated, or create strains of deadly viruses and bacteria from previously harmless ones.