Poll: What do you think about the 20 year sentence?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Hopefully this disuades assholes from pulling the same shit in the future.
    Unfortunately it won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a problem with him getting this amount of time.

I have a problem with him getting this amount of time mostly because he pissed off the government.

People do far worse things on a regular basis and get far less.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nothing I said remotely indicates that.

Yeah, I don't hand-wave away homicides just because it was SWAT. They don't have a free licence to kill. That's ludicrous.

Are you claiming there isn't any evidence that it was the SWAT officers that shot and killed this guy? Seriously?

That is the evidence. If they want to claim the shooting was justified, that's a positive defence; they need to be able to prove that, to the court's satisfaction. If they can't, it's murder.

The guy is dead. A SWAT officer shot him. Unless there is SUPER CLEAR EVIDENCE that the shooting was justified in the heat of that moment by the particulars of the guy's actions, the evidence requires prosecution as murder.
    That's where you're 150% wrong and always are whenever you talk about any sort of crime. The guy is innocent until there is super clear evidence he was guilty. Considering that the DA doesn't consider what evidence there is to even be enough to bring charges to even attempt a trial, I'd say we're far short.

Again. Something bad happens. DA has to be convinced there is enough evidence to bring charges against someone. If so, THEN charges can be brought, an arrest could be made, and we could then begin the preparation to even think about a trial. Except we haven't even gotten that far. Talking about murder when the DA hasn't even brought charges is akin to planning your victory party for winning the World Series when you haven't even qualified for the playoffs left.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    This isn't just a 'prank call', the police were a weapon in this regard and this guy loaded that weapon and fired it at someone, killing them. He did it all the time, his gaming handle was literally 'Swautistic' and he was known as the guy you went to if you wanted to pay to have someone swatted.
    Sure. But that still is an administration fault. He should be charged of course, but you dont condemn an asshole to that extent because he has repeatedly exploited a system that clearly isnt trustworthy/working properly if a person can do it 50 times and get away with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    That's where you're 150% wrong and always are whenever you talk about any sort of crime. The guy is innocent until there is super clear evidence he was guilty. Considering that the DA doesn't consider what evidence there is to even be enough to bring charges to even attempt a trial, I'd say we're far short.
    Did the SWAT officer shoot and kill that guy?

That's super clear evidence of a potential crime.

Proving that the shooting was justified is a positive defence; it must be established based on the evidence, it cannot be presumed.

That DAs don't abide by that standard when it comes to cops is the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    good. he can go fuck himself.
    My thoughts exactly. It's good they made an example of him to discourage other clowns.

Sentence is justified, but at the VERY least the SWAT member who killed an unarmed, innocent man should be fired and banned from using a gun for the rest of his life. Ideally he should get jail time too.

Get fucked, nerd.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Realistically, it isn't an either/or situation.

This guy tried, and succeeded, in killing his chosen target. He's lucky to be getting off as lightly as he is.

The cop(s) who shot his target should also be charged, unless their body cams show that their target appeared to be armed and threatening. No body cams? Then they can't prove there was something which could appear to be a threat, go to fucking jail, you murderers.

They committed homicide. To escape a charge of murder in the 2nd degree (they meant to shoot the guy when they pulled that trigger, it wasn't an accident), they can make a plea of self defense or imminent threat, but those claims need to have positive proof. You need to have evidence that proves you were justified. If not? Prison, you murderer. Should apply to every case where an officer kills someone.

And if the body cams don't back your perception, yeah, you deserve that prison sentence, you psycho.
    There likely was an investigation, just internally. It's standard practice in the US for police officers to be fully debriefed by internal affairs for events like this. Grand juries are also far more common than people think; they're just kept well under wraps unless it's a massive politicized incident.

Also have to keep in mind that the law protects police officers who harm others while properly executing their duties according to protocol. For good reason, too; the alternative is every time someone who tries to run gets tazed and hits their head there's going to be charges for assault. From a legal perspective, the relevant question is did the officer on duty go outside of established protocol, not does his action rise to the same standard of homicide as the general public.

In other words, you are actually incorrect in the burden of proof here. The burden would be on a prosecutor to show that the officer's actions were outside of normal protocol. Because the status quo so to say is that the officer was operating under the authority of the US government, not as an individual agent.

Look at this chinless shit. Just reeks of how much of a spineless bastard he is.

He deserves every second of the sentence. He got someone killed. An accidental murder due to sheer stupidity.

Anyone that downright stupid and selfish deserve to have their rights taken away. Especially if they've committed murder over their baseless actions. What a god damned animal.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    the cop that did the shooting should be sharing the sentence.
    You should read up more on the incident. I won't tell you, because you people need to learn how to do stuff for yourselves for once.

Not only that, but these are people who put their lives on the line. Their adrenaline is flowing and they're told there's a dangerous threat.

I'd much rather a SWAT team ready to take out the threat right away than a SWAT team coming in with the idea that it's a fake call.

The problem are people that make the fake calls. Not the SWAT themselves. Quit acting like a fucking monkey.
    Last edited by Stardrift; 2019-03-30 at 04:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    You should read up more on the incident. I won't tell you, because you people need to learn how to do stuff for yourselves for once.

Not only that, but these are people who put their lives on the line. Their adrenaline is flowing and they're told there's a dangerous threat.

I'd much rather a SWAT team ready to take out the threat right away than a SWAT team coming in with the idea that it's a fake call.

The problem are people that make the fake calls. Not the SWAT themselves. Quit acting like a fucking monkey.
    Pretty sure that if the story went "SWAT team lets hostages die after hesitating to take the shot" there's be plenty of pissed off people as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nice biased poll u got there

Fucker like that guy deserve 20 if not more, have to make an example of him.
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veknazel View Post
    Sentence is justified, but at the VERY least the SWAT member who killed an unarmed, innocent man should be fired and banned from using a gun for the rest of his life. Ideally he should get jail time too.
    I could see fired, but 2nd amendment is still going to apply.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say it’s just about right,
    The guy is a scumbag that got his rocks off by risking people’s lives for entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    Look at this chinless shit. Just reeks of how much of a spineless bastard he is.

He deserves every second of the sentence. He got someone killed. An accidental murder due to sheer stupidity.

Anyone that downright stupid and selfish deserve to have their rights taken away. Especially if they've committed murder over their baseless actions. What a god damned animal.

sounds like they shouldnt be a member of swat if they cant control themselves.

He should have gotten felony murder.

He should definitely be punished hard, but what about the trigger happy cops?

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Yeah and they let him do it over and over and they came back only after THEY fucked up. If anything, they were encouraging him to do it by never punishing him for it (until they messed up, they started searching for someone to blame).
    No one let him do anything. There aren't really people that look into nationalwide serial false reporting. You're talking about dozens of local police departments responding to only one false report. There is no centralized monitoring for that.

This is truly sad.
    He did nothing, but got 20 years.
    The killer got away.

If he were rich, I bet he can get away.

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    sounds like they shouldnt be a member of swat if they cant control themselves.
    They're strictly trained. No amount of training is enough to help you hold back adrenaline. Sounds like someone lacks the basic knowledge of how the human mind works, and the necessities of SWAT members being fueled by adrenaline to put an end to a dangerous threat.

They don't go in there hoping to kill someone. They go in there being told there's a threat and their job is to neutralize it.

You're not gonna burst down a door to ask questions when you're told someone is planting a bomb/in the process of gunning down people/planning to murder someone.

The real problem are fake calls. Shit like this wouldn't happen if bastards like this guy didn't make fake calls.

Blaming it on the SWAT only shows you watch out of context videos of cops beating the shit outta someone and believe they're doing it because of that person's skin colour.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    This is truly sad.
    He did nothing, but got 20 years.
    The killer got away.

If he were rich, I bet he can get away.
    Do yourself and the rest of us a favour. Chow down on a whole bottle pills.

You're part of the problem.