Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    To be fair, I've seen people cry for a longer time on these Forums than it actually takes to get the Rep.
    Yes indeed.

Alas, some posters do indeed seem to be fine with spending considerable amounts of time incessantly whining about the game rather than playing it (or simply doing something else).

It's just one of them things. Meanwhile, if a feature isn't hacked and slashed in a panic, it's probably not a disaster in terms of overall player reception (which they've got an entire team on gauging). As much as certain nobodies want to burp the whole "gaem is made for shareholders not players hurr!"-narrative, the fact remains that for this behemoth to continue being profitable, they have to keep players coming back.

People won't come back, in general (certain forum goers are the exception in how they stick around) for a game that they do not enjoy and thus want to spend free time in. Spending fleeting hours of freedom (playing or talking about) on something one doesn't enjoy seems to be masochistic, nothing else. Yet that's the idea one gets from so many MMO-C posters.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-03-31 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    I don't think you understand the term "standard fair."

"Why do I need to rep grind for this mount AND purchase it? You people already love me!"
    "Wait why do I need to do MORE to get this appearance alternative unlock from MY artifact ... just give me it!"

Races just didn't fall under that before, now they do. The races were an exception rather than a rule. Now they follow the rule, hence now fall in line with the standard.
    First of all... it's standard fare. lol ... I let it slide the first time because I didn't want to be THAT GUY but I guess I will be if you're going to tell me I don't know what it means.

"Races didn't fall under that before, now they do." They have a word for this. No precedence. It's a legal thing. Which means... it is in fact NOT standard fare. Every single expansion that launched with a new race did not include a rep grind. Ever MMO I played that added a race, does not require a rep grind. You are just back pedaling. That is like saying... locking an alt behind a rep grind would be perfectly normal. After all, other classes are really just cosmetic changes. It's all damage and healing, right? Let's put dungeons and raids behind rep grinds again (that will be great for returning players, right!?). They should do the same thing with ground mounts that they have done with flying mounts in new expansions -- let's make everyone ACHIEVE the right to mount up and they have to hoof it until then. All standard fare...

Leave thinking (and spelling) to the big boys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    They aren't races, they are allied races. As in reskinned older races - so a different thing, which is also a first. Second of all, you are also told - during the story - that they aren't allied with the Horde yet, that's actually a result of said story. Thirdly, the turtles are for Tortollan rep; not zandalari. Oh and fourth - don't like it; don't do it.
    Gosh. Public schools have really let us down.

They are new races. They have a different look and different racials. I don't care what Blizzard CALLS them... they are new races, which have been added plenty before without a rep grind. This is like saying Goblins were just reskinned Gnomes. And Worgen are just wolf-skinned humans.

Let's see. What was your next dumb point. Ahh. Then you agree with me then! I finished the story and the Zandalari told me they are fighting with the Horde. But I can't make a character yet because I don't have the rep. I'm glad you agree that this was bad design! Great.

Go do a Tortollan world quest in Zuldazar and tell me what kind of rep you get. I'll wait here. (JK, I won't wait. Because you're an idiot and you do indeed get Tortollan and Zandalari rep for completing WQs in Zuldazar)...

Finally, I have no problem doing it. That doesn't mean it isn't bad design. Why do I even bother with forum morons?

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    They are an award for completion of a story and being exalted ... this is pretty standard fair.

They are essentially just cosmetic changes unless you are big into min-maxing.
    And that's completely ok. What's not ok is how limited you are in gaining rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post

But that's what WoW feels like. A chore. Rather than entertainment.

I'll take shit that individuals have been saying about the game for a decade+ as they fail at grasping the concept of subjectivity for 600, Alex!

Here's an easy remedy if a title doesn't feel like entertainment to you: Play something else.
    Mind you, nothing out there is free from failure to entertain people. Those games you love to promote aren't exactly objectively superior and fun, plenty try them and abandon them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    And that's completely ok. What's not ok is how limited you are in gaining rep.
    Agreed.

I'd be happy if you could choose to grind rep and surpass the story element + the Emissary system, really.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-03-31 at 07:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    First of all... it's standard fare. lol ... I let it slide the first time because I didn't want to be THAT GUY but I guess I will be if you're going to tell me I don't know what it means.

"Races didn't fall under that before, now they do." They have a word for this. No precedence. It's a legal thing. Which means... it is in fact NOT standard fare. Every single expansion that launched with a new race did not include a rep grind. Ever MMO I played that added a race, does not require a rep grind. You are just back pedaling. That is like saying... locking an alt behind a rep grind would be perfectly normal. After all, other classes are really just cosmetic changes. It's all damage and healing, right? Let's put dungeons and raids behind rep grinds again (that will be great for returning players, right!?). They should do the same thing with ground mounts that they have done with flying mounts in new expansions -- let's make everyone ACHIEVE the right to mount up and they have to hoof it until then. All standard fare...

Leave thinking (and spelling) to the big boys.
    Clearly, that was never your intent to "let it slide."

Secondly, classes are NOT just cosmetic changes ... a healer isn't a cosmetic change from damage dealer. But, since you brought up classes ... there are two classes that depended on you having a character of a certain level to play as (Demon Hunter and Death Knight). So they have locked classes behind some kind of wall. A melee damage dealer isn't a cosmetic change to a ranged one, how the classes play is more than just cosmetic.

Again, races were the exception ... not the rule. Allied races now have brought races behind said wall. Secondly, they defined allied races separate from base races and they haven't outright stated no new base races will be coming to the game. Allied races are different from Base races. And unless you are mid maxing, races are purely cosmetic to the player base.

SWToR (before just making it buy races) had you have to play a race to a point to unlock it for all classes it wasn't originally a part of. The race Chiss was limited to just Imperial Agent and Bounty Hunter, you wanted to play a Chiss Jedi or Sith, you had to level Chiss to unlock it (then they just made it a cash grab.) While these weren't "new races" it shows that MMO have locked races behind some wall. Races being locked isn't a new concept to MMOs ... at all. New races in SWToR were just added as cash grabs.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    their welcome back weekend.
    It's happened many times before. However it was usually done through email invites. Not just WoW but all games with subs do this from time to time to attract old players back. Guess what? I did it with my business, and I had over a 90% retention rate. I still wanted to get back some older customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    If you'd have done the occasional quest out in the world instead of sitting afk in Boralus then you would already be exalted with everyone.

All of a sudden you need the reps and you are annoyed about how your lack of activity over the last 7 and a half months means you have to grind them to catch up? Poor you.

Exalted 7th Legion: 29/08/18 = 15 Days
    Exalted Proudmoore: 19/09/18 = 36 Days
    Exalted Champions: 21/09/18 = 38 Days
    Exalted Order of Embers: 28/09/18 = 45 Days
    Exalted Storms Wake: 02/10/18 = 49 Days
    Exalted Tortollen Seekers: 07/10/18 = 54 Days

It took me less than 2 months to 'grind' all reps to exalted before Assaults were added which give you extra rep, you have had plenty of time to plod along at your own pace but you didn't and it is now biting you in the ass.

Use the Darkmoon faire buff when it is available, use contract for Tortollen.
    Had them all done in just over 2 months and I barely play the game. I get it some people may be late to the party, but oh well. I bet these people had no issues with attunements.

BC = Brand new Blood Elf race released with the expansion, available to play day one. You didn't have to go back to old vanilla content and do some rep grind it was available immediately the day you bought The burning crusade

Cat = Goblin race, to create a brand new goblin day one of cataclysm release you did not have to go back to the burning crusade can do some boring grind and old zones

MoP = Panda race, you didn't have to go back to cataclysm and grind some outdated content you could play a panda immediately on launch day

Legion = Demon Hunter you could select and create a brand new demon hunter the first day legion came out you did not have to go back to WOD and play some 2-year-old content to create a DH

BfA = New races released 6 months post launch, and required heavy rep grind before you are allowed to even create one.
    Last edited by Zorachus; 2019-03-31 at 09:13 PM.

I am really unhappy you have to farm allied races reps for both factions. Was different in legion.

And i am unhappy you need to run dungeons for kul tiranains. Which is both unfair compared to horde players and really a brick wall which is not needed. I do not like to play dungeons, for example.
    Last edited by Fred Skinner; 2019-03-31 at 09:17 PM.

Play the game and you'll get them without feeling like you worked for them.

Avoid playing the game and come back expecting everything handed to you and you'll probably feel a bit of work needing to be done.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    BfA = New races released 6 months post launch, and required heavy rep grind before you are allowed to even create one.
    It is true that Blizzard have changed their stance on new races and how to access them. In Legion we had 2 new races per faction, and currently in BFA we have 2 new races per faction. That is alot more then the old "1 new race per nearly every other expansion". So we can see that they changed their way on the release cycle, and therefor it's not hard to argue that they change their stance on what needs to be done to play them.

Demonhunter (as you brings up) and Deathknight requires/required? a high level character on the server you played. I would argue that it's worse then having it behind a rep grind, a rep that is one of the main rep in the expansion.

You say it's "heavy rep grind". To be fair, I wanted to switch to Dark Iron Dwarf as soon as possible, and was able to do it at the 30th of august. (Release 14 of august if you do not remember). Half a month grind, that I didn't do to 100%, isn't realy that hard. Can't remember when my friend unlocked Dark Iron, but he NEVER grinds rep or worldquest, he just do the quest sometimes. He unlocked it maybe a month later. 1½ month of NOT grinding.

It wouldn't have been so horrible if after I finally unlocked the race, I didn't have to spend another 200 hours level grinding the character up to cap or pony up another $25 for a race change on top of the price of the expansion for the feature in the first place ON TOP OF my $15 a month subscription fee. Doesn't help that there isn't anything compelling to do at cap anyway.

Nixxiom summed it up best.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It wouldn't have been so horrible if after I finally unlocked the race, I didn't have to spend another 200 hours level grinding the character up to cap or pony up another $25 for a race change on top of the price of the expansion for the feature in the first place ON TOP OF my $15 a month subscription fee. Doesn't help that there isn't anything compelling to do at cap anyway.
    If it takes you 200 hours to level a character to 120 you are horrible at the game.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."