The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Manthis View Post
    I'd be careful about using macros for standard rotations, since the spells and abilities won't queue if used in a macro. And most of the time macros are a bit wonky.

So use at your own risk!
    Most I'd use would be things like >target Party member >cast dragon sight >target last enemy. kind of things.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Glad people don't seem to have the same problem I did, it sucked. I honestly didn't think it had anything to do with my gaming because I also did martial arts (mix of Karate, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu) and my fingers tended to get pulled, smashed, strained, etc... then I realized after being sick for like 3 weeks that the injuries were getting worse, not better, when I didn't go to the dojo but played WoW.

I will say though, adjusting to the new peripherals took a few days each, the learning curve on some of them is pretty terrible but worth it in the end IMO.

https://twinfinite.net/2019/04/final...guchi-yoshida/

Well this is interesting. The main focus of the article is the FF7 remake being recruited for by SE as well as a new 'co-director/producer' which further suggests thats nomuras personal trashfire in progress to replace XV. More interesting though is Yoshi P's team being rebranded to "Development Team 3" with a "large scale rpg going into production".

So after the hot mess of XV are they just giving him XVI to pull another ARR style hit?
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2019-04-01 at 12:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Also, holy crap I forgot Macros existed in this game. It seems the last time I made one was back at the start of 2.0 when i first tried the game. I think I just assumed they were in the same category as Addons in this game.
    Actually, macros are far more useful in FF compared to WoW, esp in crafting. You can craft entire items via macro.
    I wouldn't recommend chaining combat abilities, since there is a delay but sth like target <player> -> /ac goad -> /target <boss> should be possible.

I have a macro that chains the instant cast ability with the resurrection. So much more comfortable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. Glad people don't seem to have the same problem I did, it sucked. I honestly didn't think it had anything to do with my gaming because I also did martial arts (mix of Karate, Judo and Jiu-Jitsu) and my fingers tended to get pulled, smashed, strained, etc... then I realized after being sick for like 3 weeks that the injuries were getting worse, not better, when I didn't go to the dojo but played WoW.
    Yeah these things can be subtle. When I play the piano and flute I have to be extremely careful in regards to posture and I have to limit practice time to half an hour per day or I will get pains immediately. Sucks but I guess my body is just feeble that way.

When playing PC games I always paid attention that my arm/wrist/hand were straight and relaxed at all times. I need to put a little cushion below my wrist when operating the keyboard, w/o it -> ouch in a matter of hours.

This is my Hotbar, the only 2 buttons on it that I press Manually are Limit Break and Sprint. Both so I don't fat finger them mid combat.
    Your setup confirms my point earlier made. If you're pressing some of those buttons there's absolutely 0 chance you're doing it with your non mouse hand, which is suboptimal. That's the entire argument. No one is saying it can't be done, we're saying it's suboptimal and doesn't need to be an issue if the game was more intelligently designed. I also don't see any keybinds on your entire second row? I assume it's just a shift modifier, but curious why it doesn't show. I haven't logged on in a while to see if my shift keybinds look the same.

I will say though, adjusting to the new peripherals took a few days each, the learning curve on some of them is pretty terrible but worth it in the end IMO.
    You're not alone. Back in 2010, even when I was a youngin, I was getting RSI's from WoW. It wasn't necessarily from any gymnastics (as I'm pretty flexible in the hands/wrist from tennis), but my fingers were constantly in agonizing pain from mashing. I created an AHK macro that simply repeats any press while held down. Not only did this abate all my RSI pain, it also led to a consistently reproducible DPS increase, especially as the session dragged on and I got slower and slower.

I've since adopted it for FF14 back in ARR to identical results. No RSI and a consistent DPS gain.

I also got RSI's from BNS. I ended up having to macro my ani-cancel via my mouse to simply play the game. I always felt pretty awful about it, but it was a fair price to play what I considered one of the most engaging combat systems ever developed, but it definitely didn't care about your health LOL.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2019-04-01 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    If you think computer keyboards are bad... don't try the piano or a guitar.
    I've played the guitar since I was 12, when I stumbled upon this very small, little band that no one else has probably ever heard of called the Foo Fighters and decided that I wanted to be a rockstar too. After I got over the initial hump where I was stretching out my fingers and growing calluses it wasn't too bad. It's probably why I don't find MMO's to be too taxing on my hands, I'm very well used to moving my fingers into unnatural positions.

Also the whole Rockstar thing never panned out. Like every guitar playing teenager I was in a band that was destined to make it big. Sadly, our music was ahead of our time. And also behind our time. In fact, I don't think there was a time where we would have really fit.

Most I'd use would be things like >target Party member >cast dragon sight >target last enemy. kind of things.
    The only issue I've had with ones like that is I tend to have to pug most of the time, so I've got to edit in the names before we start. It's not a huge problem, but it's still an annoyance. Given the chance, I would vastly prefer to have functional Mouseover macros though. They take out a lot of mouse clicking and make casting something like Esuna so much easier. I reailse they're not for everyone, but I find them much easier to work with than the default method.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Servers down till tomorrow very sadnesses what am I supposed to do now ������
    If you're looking for something to fill in the time, I'd recommend CrossCode. It's a fun Zelda-esque ARPG wrapped up in an MMO game-within-a-game setting.

Though it's not a short game by any stretch of the imagination, despite being an indie.

Well I'm pretty bummed atm. I'm a WoW refugee that took the Twitch Prime route for a free base copy of the game and I liked it enough that when I got to 50 I got the Shadowbringers bundle that in addition to preordering the new expansion, also includes the two previous ones. But apparently I misread the fine print because it says the other two expansions while included in the purchase won't technically be given to me until the new one is out in July. I'm left unable to progress on my character for three months. It never occured to me that Square wouldn't let you have the two current expansions included in the bundle now so that you can play through them while waiting for Shadowbringers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    You're not alone. Back in 2010, even when I was a youngin, I was getting RSI's from WoW. It wasn't necessarily from any gymnastics (as I'm pretty flexible in the hands/wrist from tennis), but my fingers were constantly in agonizing pain from mashing. I created an AHK macro that simply repeats any press while held down. Not only did this abate all my RSI pain, it also led to a consistently reproducible DPS increase, especially as the session dragged on and I got slower and slower.

I've since adopted it for FF14 back in ARR to identical results. No RSI and a consistent DPS gain.

I also got RSI's from BNS. I ended up having to macro my ani-cancel via my mouse to simply play the game. I always felt pretty awful about it, but it was a fair price to play what I considered one of the most engaging combat systems ever developed, but it definitely didn't care about your health LOL.
    Yeah, this is why I normally advocate for getting the peripherals because it not only addresses the RSI's, but provides a measurable benefit to playing almost every MMO, or other type of game that may have multiple buttons to press. It's a universal fix that can be applied to every game, without the need to figure out a way to engineer/ create a custom way in every game. Depends on whether you want to spend the money though. I just try to talk about how I feel the money is worth it, especially if you get a good quality one. I've had my Razer Naga mouse for ~6 years now with no problems and my Razer Tartarus gaming keypad for ~4 years, no problems there either. I'm pretty religious about keeping my desk and stuff clean so I have no problems with food or anything gunking them up.

As I said though, you have to be dedicated to learning how to use them effectively. The learning curve is real. It took me 3-4 hours a day for ~3 days for each one to get comfortable enough using them in a more high octane environment. The main advantage was that I could move laterally, while moving the camera angle any way I needed to, while holding a modifier key and still activate abilities AND have spatial awareness because I didn't have to move my arms/ wrist at all (aside from mouse movement) or put my fingers in weird straining situations. With the keypad, my thumb can easily and ergonomically activate all my modifiers.

I know it sounds really small and simple, but being able to focus entirely on the game play and what's happening on the screen without worrying about or even thinking about finger placement or movement or anything like that made my enjoyment go up a lot. This obviously impacted my performance, which is obviously enjoyable and satisfying.

All that said, play how you want and are comfortable with, I'm just saying what works for me. But I still am a little skeptical when people say that they can play with the same level of comfort, ability and performance as someone with these peripherals...I just don't see how it's possible, especially since those advantages are specifically WHY these peripherals are created. You might get similar performance, but I doubt you're as comfortable. As long as you're happy though, I'm not trying to talk down to your play style. I'm just skeptical, from a logical perspective, how someone would get equal performance AND comfort with default options to someone who has peripherals specifically designed to provide an advantage in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://twinfinite.net/2019/04/final...guchi-yoshida/

Well this is interesting. The main focus of the article is the FF7 remake being recruited for by SE as well as a new 'co-director/producer' which further suggests thats nomuras personal trashfire in progress to replace XV. More interesting though is Yoshi P's team being rebranded to "Development Team 3" with a "large scale rpg going into production".

So after the hot mess of XV are they just giving him XVI to pull another ARR style hit?
    Please YoshiP, give us a high fantasy Final Fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I hope not, if constant fanservice and uninspired gameplay are Yoshi-P's main design ideas. DQ11 team would be better at the job with good scriptwriter.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I've played the guitar since I was 12...
    *chuckles* Nice story.
    Do you still play? Bet you're pretty good at it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    I've played the guitar since I was 12
    I skimmed the post originaly and missed this part.

I have too, the ways I move my fingers for guitar though are vastly different to the strains and articulations I had to use for gaming. My guitar playing was largely unaffected by my RSIs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I'm left unable to progress on my character for three months.
    Keep leveling other jobs or work away at the 100 quests you need to start heavensward if you haven't already.

Actually, macros are far more useful in FF compared to WoW, esp in crafting. You can craft entire items via macro.
    I wouldn't recommend chaining combat abilities, since there is a delay but sth like target <player> -> /ac goad -> /target <boss> should be possible.
    Ehhhhhh I guess for that they're more helpful. I personally hate how there are no modifier macros in FF14 since it'd let me clean up my hotbars.

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    Well I'm pretty bummed atm. I'm a WoW refugee that took the Twitch Prime route for a free base copy of the game and I liked it enough that when I got to 50 I got the Shadowbringers bundle that in addition to preordering the new expansion, also includes the two previous ones. But apparently I misread the fine print because it says the other two expansions while included in the purchase won't technically be given to me until the new one is out in July. I'm left unable to progress on my character for three months. It never occured to me that Square wouldn't let you have the two current expansions included in the bundle now so that you can play through them while waiting for Shadowbringers.
    Yeah, it's probably done this way to deal with people cancelling pre-orders. Your best bet is to just buy Stormblood if you enjoy the game. Basically resign yourself to spending the money for 3 months of content. It might seem like a "bad deal", but your time is worth a lot too.

Alternatively you could spend the time until Shadowbringers leveling the other classes to 50, if you like that.

5+ Year Old Account
    I decided to mix things up a bit and decided to get a name change and fantasia. I'm playing a Highlander now. I'll likely go back to a Midlander at some point, though for now I want something different. At least until Shadowbringers.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    I decided to mix things up a bit and decided to get a name change and fantasia. I'm playing a Highlander now. I'll likely go back to a Midlander at some point, though for now I want something different. At least until Shadowbringers.
    No, you will become a bunny girl like the rest of us, or else u might as well delete the game

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    Your setup confirms my point earlier made. If you're pressing some of those buttons there's absolutely 0 chance you're doing it with your non mouse hand, which is suboptimal. That's the entire argument. No one is saying it can't be done, we're saying it's suboptimal and doesn't need to be an issue if the game was more intelligently designed. I also don't see any keybinds on your entire second row? I assume it's just a shift modifier, but curious why it doesn't show. I haven't logged on in a while to see if my shift keybinds look the same.
    Like I said, I click 2 of those Buttons with a Mouse. Limit Break and Sprint. Literally every single other button on those hotbars is Keybound.

Second Row doesn't have a keybind button I assume because in the Keybinds it is done in the secondary row not the main row. Since Hotbar 2 was originally Ctrl. Which I made my Hotbar 3 into.

Welp, Shiva is now on the new Light Datacenter, see you in hell Chaos you rickety piece of shit.

*please let Light be more stable!

*chuckles* Nice story.
    Do you still play? Bet you're pretty good at it by now.
    I do still play, though less often than I used to. Fitting it in around work is tough at times, made harder by the fact that my neighbours on both sides have small babies, and I have an acoustic so headphones aren't an option. It's still my go-to chill out hobby though, I find strumming to be very relaxing.

As for being any good... Yes and no. I can play reasonably well, but I never really had the drive to exceptional at it. For me it was something I did to unwind. While I can certainly play well enough alone, I very rarely get the chance to play with other people. Those are two different beasts entirely. I did consider teaching how to play as a side-gig at one point, but I never really had the time to fully commit to doing it. For the time being, it's relegated to being a hobby more than anything else.

I have too, the ways I move my fingers for guitar though are vastly different to the strains and articulations I had to use for gaming. My guitar playing was largely unaffected by my RSIs as well.
    I've never noticed gaming to be putting any more, or really any less, strain on my hands than playing the guitar. I did try set up common binds so my hands and fingers would be in a similar position though. It wasn't always possible, but I tried my best to make my binds as comfortable as I could. I also tend to take the time to stretch my hands and fingers before I start gaming, as well as when I get small breaks between rounds, while loading, looting etc. I'm not sure if it helps but it's never hurt (pun intended).

That's not to say I won't ever get RSI, but my current set up hasn't ever given me any problems. If it's not broke, don't fix it.