Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will this play WOW?

Will this setup play WOW Classic at a reasonable quality?
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sLdmsZ

7+ Year Old Account
    I've got the same setup (actually my GPU is a 760) and don't have any problems at all.

Everyone has different opinions on what is "playable", Yes you can play wow, how well is another question;

Your cpu is non overclockable and quite slow in comparison of nowaday tech, you'll be looking at premade setting of 1-4 maybe 5?. anything higher and i would expect you to struggle to maintain 60fps.

Wow is more about CPU than GPU so it doesn't matter what your GPU is, if your cpu is trash.

Edit: Assuming you're playing at 1920x1080 resolution and the target is 60fps at all times where possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    At 1080p? Yeah should be fine. CPU is a bit lacking so you might not get 60fps at 7/10 in raids, but you should be fine.

Swapping the CPU to a K version should be a worthwhile investment. You can get 15%-ish FPS gains from overclocking a CPU, which is not hard to do, just look online what others have overclocked to with the same CPU as you, then go into bios and set it to that. If your motherboard is good, it might even have an auto-volt option which works just as fine as manually adjusting voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    Everyone has different opinions on what is "playable", Yes you can play wow, how well is another question;

Your cpu is non overclockable and quite slow in comparison of nowaday tech, you'll be looking at premade setting of 1-4 maybe 5?. anything higher and i would expect you to struggle to maintain 60fps.

Wow is more about CPU than GPU so it doesn't matter what your GPU is, if your cpu is trash.

Edit: Assuming you're playing at 1920x1080 resolution and the target is 60fps at all times where possible.
    I mean I have never played wow in the last 14 years with anything above 40FPS max. So if I can maintain anything above 30-40fps all the time Ill be ecstatic.

If that's what you have already, that's fine. Should play the game at a decent quality in 1080p.

However if you're looking to buy, you can get something of much better quality for the same amount of money

I guess the main question is would this be a good place to start and work on upgrading the CPU when I can? will it be a good starter, Ive never played WOW on anything other than a Laptop so I think anything will be better than I'm used to. I don't mind playing with graphics set to lowest setting as long as I have fast load times and no lag.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    If that's what you have already, that's fine. Should play the game at a decent quality in 1080p.

However if you're looking to buy, you can get something of much better quality for the same amount of money
    I can buy this whole setup right now for $500.00 just wondering if it's a good start for $500.00. Including all Peripherals.

WoW classic zones are much less demanding than anything even remotely recent. You should be fine in those zones for the goal you're looking at for playability. Raids will be more demanding (nowhere near anything now days) but if you're just doing casual play/pvp it shouldn't have any issues.

If you're buying that now... i would not buy old low-mid range parts when you can get much better in that price range with ryzen and something like an rx570.

I have:
    i5-4670k
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ssd (obviously)
    gtx 650ti

I am running WoW at 3-4/10 on the graphics scale they provide and it never breaks below 60fps (which is why I have it low). I am pretty sure you will be able to run it at like 7/10 with 60fps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play WoW retail on a laptop with a i3-7100u processor. I get about 40-60 fps on low settings. If that'll play wow i'm sure that the processor you listed will as well.

So again for $500.00 as a starting point would it be a decent deal? comes with the gaming chair and all lol. If it gets me close to where I want to be, and I can upgrade it in the future to be better? I have 0 interest in playing Retail, just want to play Classic and maybe some LOL or even WC3 Remastered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    It will play wow on medium, but not on ultra

Edited: WAit this is asking about Classic, my bad I have no freaken clue
    Last edited by dacoolist; 2019-04-02 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    So again for $500.00 as a starting point would it be a decent deal? comes with the gaming chair and all lol. If it gets me close to where I want to be, and I can upgrade it in the future to be better? I have 0 interest in playing Retail, just want to play Classic and maybe some LOL or even WC3 Remastered.
    Personally I'D call it a waste of money, but it seems to fit what you want so it's not a bad deal I suppose. As for upgrade paths... you're EXTREMELY limited. Intel's 7 series is the furthest you could go CPU wise and RAM is limited to somewhat slower clock speeds.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post

Classic runs off the modern engine, it shouldn't be extremely different in requirements from the modern game.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    I have:
    i5-4670k
    8gb ddr3 ram
    ssd (obviously)
    gtx 650ti

I am running WoW at 3-4/10 on the graphics scale they provide and it never breaks below 60fps (which is why I have it low). I am pretty sure you will be able to run it at like 7/10 with 60fps.
    Sigh..

Newer does not always mean better.

Your cpu is actually better for wow than the one the OP has listed. (not a massive difference but point is still there).

; For op, For classic is should be more than fine, i didn't notice you only wanted the build for classic and not current wow, but i mean that's if they keep it the same as the past classic, no one knows if they'll mess with stuff.

For $500 it's a decent deal if it's including everything and you can't wait. You could build a similar or even better performing pc for around $500 or a little more but that would exclude things like monitor/headset.

The only potential issue for the needs you've listed that i could possibly see is storage space.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why not.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    With something that old it's not really worth it to upgrade those parts from that generation. And newer parts require the newer platforms. Only real thing you could reasonably upgrade is the graphics card, CPU isn't worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post

The classic client is based on, iirc, WotLK. So I would assume contemporary hardware to that would be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    The classic client is based on, iirc, WotLK. So I would assume contemporary hardware to that would be fine.
    It's based on 7.3 from what we know

I guess if I can build something better what would be a good build for around $500.00 I have a nice Monitor and a headset and mouse I would just need a keyboard. The computer does not need a lot of storage it will be used for gaming only. I would play mostly some 7Days to Die, WOW:Classic, LOL, and Warcraft 3 remastered. Basically I play survival games and some WOW. I don't need it to run on Ultra I just want to be able to run 40+ FPS all the time in raids and such. I raided for 12 years with shitty laptops running 20fps max so anything will be better.

go to logicalincrements.com - you can see best in any price range