Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    But by everyone's admission the scope grew significantly mid 2015 onwards in which case they wouldn't have needed such a large studio prior to then.

No, they're not generating 8-9 million a month, that would give a yearly income of 96-108 million (which is about 3x their actual income).

The detail is certainly impressive but it is also a ball and chain considering the size of the intended game, the amount of planets, cities etc.

Diablo 3 took that long because they scrapped and restarted the project at least once. There are lots of games that don't take that long, WoW, while not a sandbox, only took 4 years. The important difference though is that scrapping or overhauling a game has no cost for the customer unlike making large changes in the design of Star Citizen or Squadron 42.
    I also expect SC to take a significant amount of time but looking at what they have done in 7 years and then how much more they have to do... 11 years is going to seem like a dream.
    The scope of the game changed as soon as the kickstarter was generating far more than expected and there was a vote for the community to develop the game further.

I actually meant they have made 8-9 million a year just from tech and other sources nothing to do with backer money so tech and such is an important resource, many techs have to be advanced for a game such as this.

Vanilla WoW map (80 square miles) a fraction of EQ map, kinda tiny just seemed larger since it was slow to move around in, all the basics for wow was done before in EQ/other games and was backed by a fully establised company, took 7 years for blizz to make starcraft 2.

Currently they have a working star system and evolving it even further, once everything is in place it shouldnt be too hard to start completing the universe, we currently don't know how many star systems they are working on atm, there is likely going to be multiple within the SQ42 missions so they have to be ready by mid next year, the ships are what takes the longest to complete.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2019-03-31 at 05:51 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Thinking they are working on multiple star systems atm when the last patch added one (1) planet feels like wishful thinking.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Will there ever be a game between all those screenshots? What is there to do except moving through the scenery?

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Will there ever be a game between all those screenshots? What is there to do except moving through the scenery?
    I've had a ton of fun in Star Citizen! The foundation has been laid; at this point they just need to finalize the gas cloud tech and implement Crusader (gas planet with a floating city), and then CIG will have all of the tech to rapidly create more systems, only limited by the rate at which they can create new art assets for each settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    As of right now, Star Citizen is the type of game where you make up your own fun. The game is now running much better, and I'm getting a decent framrate at Loreville, with the rest of the game being smooth on my GTX 670 on the lowest settings. If you're a solo player, there's not much to do besides doing those handful of contracts. Contracts give so little money, the cost of ships and vehicles are so high, and the servers reset so often that I recommend that you do not try to save up for a bigger ship/vehicle and instead just pour that money into buying ground based weapons and armor and go stalk players leaving and approaching Loreville/Levski/Port Olisar/GrimHex/Security Post Karreah. GrimHex has a small armistice zone around it so you can nab people before they're able to land or quantum jump out, and you can wait inside the security post and try to kill whoever comes in. Obviously, you'll have a much more fun time if you're able to join a group or you're able to attend a coordinated event.
    Since the time I wrote this last year, there is more to do in Star Citizen than ever before. CIG has implemented multiple mo-capped NPCs to give missions, has implemented a new type of gameplay in the form of salvage missions, and has refined mining. The flight model has been completely revamped.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post

Dogfighting, Multicrew and FPS gameplay

Mining

Cargo Hauling

Delivery Missions

Bounty Hunting

Investigation

& Racing
    Kinda old post by now but still hold's up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Thinking they are working on multiple star systems atm when the last patch added one (1) planet feels like wishful thinking.
    Since SQ42 plays in a different system, and was showcased​ quite a few times​ comments like this feel like uninformed word salads

- - - Updated - - -

Star Citizen's graphic is outdated LOL

https://giant.gfycat.com/PoorOrderlyEmperorshrimp.webm

This thread is the exact same as it was months ago. People being amazed at how ridiculous this situation is and that the game isn't out yet, other people trying (and failing, looking worse and worse as time goes on) to defend this eternal alpha. It's like a weird time loop in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Quote Originally Posted by Post View Post
    This thread is the exact same as it was months ago. People being amazed at how ridiculous this situation is and that the game isn't out yet, other people trying (and failing, looking worse and worse as time goes on) to defend this eternal alpha. It's like a weird time loop in here.
    I'm not amazed at the situation, because it totally makes sense. CIG (or robertsspaceindustries or whatever the name of the damn company is now) has no pressure to release anything. Dumb people keep showering them with millions of $ each month, get it while the getting is good. Oh and maybe make some incremental progress so that people don't wise up completely.

Pre-orders/DLC sales has just surpassed $222 million...

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    I'm not amazed at the situation, because it totally makes sense. CIG (or robertsspaceindustries or whatever the name of the damn company is now) has no pressure to release anything. Dumb people keep showering them with millions of $ each month, get it while the getting is good. Oh and maybe make some incremental progress so that people don't wise up completely.
    Surprised at the number of people in this thread who happily admit (read brag) to spending hundreds, if not thousands on a $60 game before it releases.

Surprised at the number of people in this thread who happily admit (read brag) to spending hundreds, if not thousands on a $60 game before it releases.
    I mean I'm all for spend your money as you see fit.

But can you really brag about throwing money on a product that after coming up 7 years has a barebones Alpha to show for it and the single player won't be released until 2023 at most with MP in 2025-2030? And ships that half the time you don't actually own but can look at pictures of them until they are released?

I mean if that's what we consider quality/worth for a game these days then I have to wonder.....
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2019-04-03 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    if the current 3.4.3 Flight Model can produce this...:

...then i am looking forward to what the new 3.5 Flight Model will give us in a few days!
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

One of those posts say they know "at least a dozen" people that spent over $10,000 on this eternal alpha...

I don't think I'd even feel comfortable admitting that through my anonymous avatar..
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    One of those posts say they know "at least a dozen" people that spent over $10,000 on this eternal alpha...

I don't think I'd even feel comfortable admitting that through my anonymous avatar..
    Those people are also idiots. I think it's worth noting though that the average age of Chris Roberts fans is older than most gamers these days. These are people in their late 30's and early 40's who likely grew up with Wing Commander. It makes sense to me that these kinds of individuals would have more disposable income than someone who is in their early 20's. I mean, God damn, I hope by the time I am 40 in 7.5 years that I can just toss money away like that. I've spent less than $200 on SC, I'm fine with that and have no intention of spending another dime.

I'd feel perfectly comfortable with any internet random's opinion if I earned enough money for a 10k$ investment on a game to be "no problem".

I'm all in for respecting what one is doing with his own money.

10+ Year Old Account

and to think not that long ago it was at $186 million. wonder when it'll pass the one billion mark.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quite the opposite
    They are making good progress now, so the naysayers running out of things to bitch about, That's why most of them stopped posting things like "they won't be able to do this or that" and "where is this or that promised feature" because slowly they did overcome the technical difficulties, and features are being added constantly.

So leaves them with the parroting of "why it's not released yet" and "not enough to show for the money" which both are getting more and more hollow, as they were broken argument from the start
    The dev time is still on par with big projects like Cyberpunk 2077, the money they gathered is gone into the development, financials are public.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    and to think not that long ago it was at $186 million. wonder when it'll pass the one billion mark.
    I don't think it gets anywhere near that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibutomi View Post
    Quite the opposite
    They are making good progress now, so the naysayers running out of things to bitch about,.....
    Then why the hell is it still struggling like crazy to hit 60 fps on a 1080? Where the hell is the promised optimization patch, promised in 2017?

I dont give a shit about the content loop right now, the devs can come up with that later, Im more concerned that games like No Mans Sky runs better on a PS fucking 4 than SC on my brand new PC with a PCIE 1tb HD and a 1080.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I don't think it gets anywhere near that point.
    at this rate it just might.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Then why the hell is it still struggling like crazy to hit 60 fps on a 1080? Where the hell is the promised optimization patch, promised in 2017?

I dont give a shit about the content loop right now, the devs can come up with that later, Im more concerned that games like No Mans Sky runs better on a PS fucking 4 than SC on my brand new PC with a PCIE 1tb HD and a 1080.
    mhmm...i just love dishonest, non-analogous and disingenuous statements like these. /sigh

1. the game is still in alpha, the main optimizations that occur during beta for almost all games have not occured yet, so ofc it won't run at a minimum of 60 fps for all configurations past the recommended setup.

2. the graphical fidelity between NMS and Star Citizen is really stark so ofc a lower fidelity game like NMS can reach 60 fps on a PS4 (not sure why you think that's a great accomplishment given its pixel density).

3. the first of the optimization patches for Star Citizen came in Sept. 2018 with alpha patch 3.3. the next one involves Server Object Container Streaming and Server Meshing coming early 2020 or the end of this year i forget. MANY people though, right now, are getting 60 fps consistently so you might want to check Spectrum for tips and further optimizations.

the fact that any of this even had to be said is sad, but then again professional detractors stay bumping this thread, haha. smh.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist