Thread: Vet ER.

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Vet ER.

Could use thoughts and prayers for my cat, who has developed complications from his infection + had another medical issue arise and I had to take him to the ER at 3 this morning. It's not looking good.

Edit: Updating the OP since he's in recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Update: Cricket (my cat) is likely going to survive. It looks like the second antibiotic is taking effect and so far there is no sign of kidney or other organ failure. Three different veterinarians who work at the ER clinic have told me that it is a miracle that he survived.

I was going to tag every single person who replied here and PM'd me but I have so many replies/messages from members of MMO-C that it is truly overwhelming (in a good way). I actually teared up reading your messages and want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the well wishes. You are the reason why I love this website and continue to post here, thank you for representing the best of our community.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Could use thoughts and prayers for my cat, who has developed complications from his infection + had another medical issue arise and I had to take him to the ER at 3 this morning. It's not looking good.
    Sorry to hear about your cat. How old is it and what happened to it?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

It must be extremely painful, I can only imagine how I would feel if I had to go through this with either of my cats. Condolences.

Animals are family, i will say a little prayer for your cat.

10+ Year Old Account
    good luck, cat
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Sorry to hear about your cat. How old is it and what happened to it?
    He's a year and a half. Posted about it in another thread but he developed an abscess from an infection and he had to undergo a round of antibiotics, wound debriding and stitches. Looks like the antibiotics weren't strong enough and the infection might have spread. Second issue is that his bladder is blocked due to crystals, which is unusual for a cat his age, they think he might have had some some undiagnosed kidney disorder and there's a possibility of kidney failure.

They told me that if I hadn't brought him in within the hour he would have died. I fully believe this based on how he was acting.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's a year and a half. Posted about it in another thread but he developed an abscess from an infection and he had to undergo a round of antibiotics, wound debriding and stitches. Looks like the antibiotics weren't strong enough and the infection might have spread. Second issue is that his bladder is blocked due to crystals, which is unusual for a cat his age, they think he might have had some some undiagnosed kidney disorder and there's a possibility of kidney failure.

They told me that if I hadn't brought him in within the hour he would have died. I fully believe this based on how he was acting.
    Yeah, very young cat. He has a good chance of pulling thru if they can get a stronger antibiotic to work. The crystals is certainly unusual for his age. I assume he has access to clean water which is not city water? Anyway, I hope he pulls thru ok.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yeah, very young cat. He has a good chance of pulling thru if they can get a stronger antibiotic to work. The crystals is certainly unusual for his age. I assume he has access to clean water which is not city water? Anyway, I hope he pulls thru ok.
    Yeah high quality cat food and clean water, although it is tap water and I don't use a filter. He does drink a lot of water and haven't had issues in that area.

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah high quality cat food and clean water, although it is tap water and I don't use a filter. He does drink a lot of water and haven't had issues in that area.

Some people may think we are going overboard, but we filter even the dog's water they drink. And we have a spring. But with any city water, we absolutely would ether not use it, or filter it thru a good charcoal filter. And like people, some animals can be more sensitive to some stuff.

You'll probably want to switch to crystal food, I'm going to suggest the wet food, since the dry did not work too well for my cat. I hope your kitty gets better and stays crystal free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to hear about your cat, hope he pulls though.

I had to have my cat for 12 years put down last year. She developed diabeties, and was so sick and lost so much weight by the end. She was my best friend, and miss her every day

Hope yours pulls through
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Thoughts and prayers do nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hope your kittie pulls through!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Thoughts can offer some good suggestions or solutions. The other is not a topic we are allowed to discuss in detail on here.

5+ Year Old Account
    Or just don't post if this shit is all you have to "contribute." The hell man.

Celista, I'll keep your cat in my prayers. Furbabies are family.

Celista, I'm so very sorry to hear about your cat. We have three and they're our kids -it's terrifying when they're ill. I'll be sending healing thoughts and positive energy your furbaby's way!

The rest is nothing to fuss over until your cat has been stabilized. I wish you and your furbaby the very best! /hug

---------------------------------------

As to the crystals, do you feed canned or dry? Vets won't generally tell you this, but domesticated cats are meant to get moisture from the food they eat, which means they lack an adequate thirst drive. Kibble should at most be a side dish. They're also obligate carnivores, which means their bodies aren't designed to process non-meat food products.

WHEN your furbaby recovers(!), if he's on a dry diet, I strongly suggest you convert him to a quality, grain-free canned food. Even better would be a quality, species appropriate raw food diet if you have the time and resources to do it right (no shame if you don't).

My kitty, Oreo, got blocked a few times when he was young (around 4), we wound up getting PU* surgery for him. Sounds awful, but he recovered quickly, never blocked again, and lived to be 17 years old. The research I did online for him is what taught me to ignore all the foods the vets push (garbage, mostly kibbles, that they get kickbacks on), and I've never had a cat with urinary tract problems since I abandoned their advice, and kibble as a primary food source.

Just be very wary if the vet wants to put him on prescription diet foods. Ingredients are generally pure junk and loaded with fillers and low quality proteins, nvm the ridiculousness of putting a cat with urinary troubles on kibble (which is generally what they push)!

*https://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvet...up_at_pu-26843
    https://www.wildernesscat.com/5-best...rinary-health/

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Josuke;51027092]This fucking sucks. I'm currently having to decide whether I remove my cats eye or increase her risk of cancer. (I cant afford the surgery at all)[QUOTE]

Posts with info on organizations that can help people with financial assistance for veterinary care (although at least one fund is now defunct, sadly):

http://www.paws4acure.org/helpfulresources.php
    https://www.aaha.org/pet_owner/lifes...can-help!.aspx

Good luck!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    Or just don't post if this shit is all you have to "contribute." The hell man.

Celista, I'll keep your cat in my prayers. Furbabies are family.
    It's a valid contribution to speak the truth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper0329 View Post
    Furbabies are family.
    when I had to have my cat put down, I was so down I had to miss work for several days to get myself together. When I got back I had to fill out an absence form, based on emotional distress, and amazingly even my very bitter and reserved manager expressed to me his apologies saying they are like family. Even someone like him said this.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a valid contribution to speak the truth.
    no its really just being a dick for being a dicks sake. I'm atheist but even I wouldn't stoop to that level.
    #boycottchina

Wishing all the best for a speedy recovery
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Having a family member, one that cannot speak and easily point you to its issues at that, is fraught with anxiety and overwhelming emotions.
    I send some hope and well wishes your way. <3