View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    So it turns out Uri Geller was on This Morning this week and he was explaining that he was going to stop Brexit with his mind. So ummmm, yeah. Get rekt Brexiteers, it's not our MPs fault they can't implement Brexit, it's Uri Geller you need to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    So it turns out Uri Geller was on This Morning this week and he was explaining that he was going to stop Brexit with his mind. So ummmm, yeah. Get rekt Brexiteers, it's not our MPs fault they can't implement Brexit, it's Uri Geller you need to blame.
    What a twat :-). Btw, he wants to influence May's mind. Isn't that some kind of assault?

In other news... just got a mail from Google telling me that in the future all payments are routed through Google Ireland instead of Google UK. That's pretty undramatic. Just one more company taking their business out of the UK. We're talking about hundreds of different stories like this by now. I wonder, how long can you say "It's just one company, but those 350 million per week will make up for it!" before it gets ridiculous? I mean, even if there was 350 million per week...

Edit:

Just to continue this trend of good news for the EU:

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/ba...elled-20190128

The world’s biggest investment banks will not reverse plans to shift billions of dollars and thousands of jobs out of the UK even if Britain ends up staying in the European Union, senior bank executives and people with knowledge of the plans revealed to Financial News.

In a big blow to the City, at least eight of the largest investment banks in London, including Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan, have said they will shift a significant proportion of their operations to Europe irrespective of the outcome of Brexit.
    Oh, Dribs... now you have to crash out. You really need those 39bn and the 350m a week to compensate for this. Still feeling like a winner, are we?
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-04-03 at 12:30 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Oh, Dribs... now you have to crash out. You really need those 39bn and the 350m a week to compensate for this. Still feeling like a winner, are we?
    Again, a significant proportion of the British public will see this as good news. We don't like banks, and don't care that they support the nation. Rather have less work that's honest than just be a haven for crooks. Which is what bankers are without exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Again, a significant proportion of the British public will see this as good news. We don't like banks, and don't care that they support the nation. Rather have less work that's honest than just be a haven for crooks. Which is what bankers are without exception.
    Isn't one of the proposed plans after Brexit to become some kind of tax-haven?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Isn't one of the proposed plans after Brexit to become some kind of tax-haven?
    Sure? Seems to be one of the stepping stones on the race to the bottom.

Doesn't change that banking is unpopular in Britain because a decade ago we had to bail out the industry to the tune of some £500 billion. It could easily be argued these people are fools for forsaking the hand that feeds them; I don't think we'd care.

My point being talking about banks leaving as a result of Brexit is a positive spin, not a negative.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-04-03 at 07:28 AM.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure? Seems to be one of the stepping stones on the race to the bottom.

Doesn't change that banking is unpopular in Britain because a decade ago we had to bail out the industry to the tune of some £500 billion. It could easily be argued these people are fools for forsaking the hand that feeds them; I don't think we'd care.

My point being talking about banks leaving as a result of Brexit is a positive spin, not a negative.
    Oh, I'm sure the "fuck the rich" mentality will achieve a positive spin on one of Britains core industries leaving.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Oh, I'm sure the "fuck the rich" mentality will achieve a positive spin on one of Britains core industries leaving.
    He’s right, though. It was never, really, about BJ’s £350m for the NHS lie.

Rich leavers don’t care. Why would they?

Elderly leavers don’t care. Affluent baby boomers or their triple locked pensions protected by the strength of the grey vote.

Poor younger leavers don’t care. Under the impression that austerity can’t get any worse.

They simply don’t care.

Economic reasons for not leaving have always been the least powerful argument to put to pretty much all leave demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Poor younger leavers don’t care. Under the impression that austerity can’t get any worse.
    I would say this is the demographic that would actually view banking leaving Britain as a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by hathmoth View Post
    The banks helped themselves to trillions of pounds worth of subsidy, the sooner they fuck off the better.

There is absolutely no justification whatever for the continued existence of and subsidy of the failed banking sector. They should be subject to the same financial discipline as everyone else is.
    Completely right. We simply don't need or want any sort of banking system in this country.

I'll get my lyre out and sing on the street corner. People can simply throw food at me (rotten or fresh; will depend if they like acoustic, Grecian-inspired rock music nor not).

:S

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    This is absolutely true, however isn't it better to keep them there and have a Labour government actually make an effort to regulate them than have them flee? They are fleeing with those subsidies and taxpayer money after all. This is one thing I am very much hoping to see if Corbyn gets elected, someone finally reversing some of the deregulation that brought us to this point.
    Alternatively, burner, the above is a more sensible way of putting it.

This is absolutely true, however isn't it better to keep them there and have a Labour government actually make an effort to regulate them than have them flee? They are fleeing with those subsidies and taxpayer money after all. This is one thing I am very much hoping to see if Corbyn gets elected, someone finally reversing some of the deregulation that brought us to this point.
    I mean, if they fuck up royally again in say 2021 and its the EU that has to bail them out of it's pocket rather than the British taxpayer (disclaimer: I'm not trying to suggest that this is likely or anything like that); it will convince a lot of people that leaving the EU was a economically sensible thing to do.

After all, if Corbyn, or any PM *did* try to regulate them too harshly, they'd move away to Europe anyway, right? Isn't that the argument against raising corporation taxes n stuff : If businesses have to pay too much they'll HQ elsewhere... (I get banking regulations =/= corporation tax, but wouldn't the underlying incentives/decentives still be at play)

15+ Year Old Account
    The banks helped themselves to trillions of pounds worth of subsidy, the sooner they fuck off the better.

There is absolutely no justification whatever for the continued existence of and subsidy of the failed banking sector. They should be subject to the same financial discipline as everyone else is.
    Sure, blame the banks and not the ones who are responsible for the laws and regulations that allowed for it. That'll help with everything!

Sure, blame the banks and not the ones who are responsible for the laws and regulations that allowed for it. That'll help with everything!
    Yes, blame the banks.

If someone finds an exploit in a video game you're welcome to blame the devs for not having a fool proof system, or even for deliberately writing the code so that these backdoors existed. We're still gonna blame the people who blatently take advantage of it.

You seem to find the concept that people would accept being poorer if it meant that we weren't "at the mercy" of a bunch of public school educated wanker banker toffs as totally crazy.

15+ Year Old Account
    In principle yes. In practice, and this is why I tend to have some sympathy with *some* leavers even though I'm not one of them, this is probably the only realistic shot we have of getting rid of these parasites*.
    By making the country more vulnerable to parasites from all over the world.

Positive spinning awayyyy

It takes two to tango.

Both sides can be blamed, and both sides can be acted against.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, blame the banks.

If someone finds an exploit in a video game you're welcome to blame the devs for not having a fool proof system, or even for deliberately writing the code so that these backdoors existed. We're still gonna blame the people who blatently take advantage of it.
    It's not an exploit though.

It's the devs giving some certain players the right to fly without having to use, buy or own a flying mount and granting them the ability to fight while flying on top of it.

It's not an exploit though.

It's the devs giving some certain players the right to fly without having to use, buy or own a flying mount and granting them the ability to fight while flying on top of it.
    And if Devs did that I'd STILL blame the people who were doing it for ruining others game play. It's pretty straightforward.

We just need to get back to the level we were before Clinton and Blair.
    Well we're getting into levels of detail that I'm ignorant of; but I thought we were talking the investment/merchant banks rather than the highstreet ones and as such in the digital age I didn't think they were as beholden to the physical location as they may have been once. You can still serve clients in Britain from Switzerland or Ireland already so...

15+ Year Old Account
    And if Devs did that I'd STILL blame the people who were doing it for ruining others game play. It's pretty straightforward.
    Sure, sure. You'd blame players for being allowed to play the game differently than you, that makes perfect sense.

Do you blame paladins for using bubble while you're dying to a one-shot ability?

- - - Updated - - -

The political class are mostly in the pay of the banks. Everyone - and I just don't mean the Tories I mean everyone from Gordon Brown to Nigel Farage to Nick Clegg has very strong connections to the industry. Telling them to regulate the banks is like asking the tail to wag the dog, it is ridiculous.
    And how will the banks leaving change anything then? The vacuum left behind will be filled by other parasites. You're not getting rid of them, you're exchanging them for something even worse because of the whole situation the UK will be in after leaving the EU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well we're getting into levels of detail that I'm ignorant of; but I thought we were talking the investment/merchant banks rather than the highstreet ones and as such in the digital age I didn't think they were as beholden to the physical location as they may have been once. You can still serve clients in Britain from Switzerland or Ireland already so...
    What do you mean with still?