Thread: Model upgrades?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Zana View Post
    If they did a complete remake I would prefer it. It would actually drive me to play classic more easily, since having a passionate hatred for Live just won't do it for me.
    I understand a full remaster could work, it could be interesting to see how they'd update the old zones/armors to still keep the classic feeling yet modernized.

Just in it's current partial form it doesn't do it for me, having old item graphics and world art next to updated spells/creatures/players/mounts.
    Last edited by Teri; 2019-04-03 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weallscream View Post
    This is why it's called classic. So no thank you. Next.
    Indeed, that's why it's called CLASSIC and not "re-release of an exact replica of 1.12 WoW using the old shit we had back then". I feel bad for you because you won't be able to play Classic. Why?

1. You won't get past the launcher, it's not the same.

Aaw, to bad =(

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    Indeed, that's why it's called CLASSIC and not "re-release of an exact replica of 1.12 WoW using the old shit we had back then". I feel bad for you because you won't be able to play Classic. Why?

1. You won't get past the launcher, it's not the same.

Aaw, to bad =(
    this sounds so retarded. thank you tho.

It will hardly invite new curious players if it doesn't offer them at least a graphical upgrade to make the world inviting. New graphics should not ruin your experience. It would be like remaking a beloved video-game from the past. Remakes are usually successful with veterans and newcomers. I been playing this game for a crapton or time and I can safely say at least from a graphical point of view it is miles away from what it was. I would love a classic remake with new graphics.
    How would new models make the world inviting? The models isn't what made the world inviting, the core of the experience of discovering the universe and community is what made the world inviting.

The graphic shouldn't ruin your experience. If it did, WoW in general would ruin your experience. It wouldn't be like remaking a beloved game from the past, updating the graphics most offen subtract from the beloved old game. Since someone tries to update the holes your mind have filled, it's extremly difficult to match those expectations when recreating it. And most offen the recreations dissapoint more than impress and invite newcomers.
    Another fact is why some remakes are successful, it is BECAUSE of the fact that the game is beloved by veterans and have stood the test of time to attract intrest of newcomers, not the remake itself. The new graphics certainly could be a factor in gaining the newcomers but at the same time you are at the risk of distancing your veterans who have fallen for and gotten accustomed to the old graphics. You say that you have played the game for a long time and the graphical updates have gotten "miles away".

The game still look cartoon-y like it did 15 years ago and the prior games in the Warcraft-universe. The graphical phidelity ofcourse have increased over time with better software and tools to make them, but the style havent changed much.

It will hardly invite new curious players if it doesn't offer them at least a graphical upgrade
    I don't think people are playing a re-release of a 15 year old game for "muh grafixx!!!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    I understand a full remaster could work, it could be interesting to see how they'd update the old zones/armors to still keep the classic feeling yet modernized.

Just in it's current partial form it doesn't do it for me, having old item graphics and world art next to updated spells/creatures/players/mounts.
    Yeah, like, I would be up for a total world revamp, that could make it look so awesome. One of the things I love most about MMOs is exploration, so getting to see old places with neat new details would be a nice experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulatomten View Post
    How would new models make the world inviting? The models isn't what made the world inviting, the core of the experience of discovering the universe and community is what made the world inviting.

The graphic shouldn't ruin your experience. If it did, WoW in general would ruin your experience. It wouldn't be like remaking a beloved game from the past, updating the graphics most offen subtract from the beloved old game. Since someone tries to update the holes your mind have filled, it's extremly difficult to match those expectations when recreating it. And most offen the recreations dissapoint more than impress and invite newcomers.
    Another fact is why some remakes are successful, it is BECAUSE of the fact that the game is beloved by veterans and have stood the test of time to attract intrest of newcomers, not the remake itself. The new graphics certainly could be a factor in gaining the newcomers but at the same time you are at the risk of distancing your veterans who have fallen for and gotten accustomed to the old graphics. You say that you have played the game for a long time and the graphical updates have gotten "miles away".

The game still look cartoon-y like it did 15 years ago and the prior games in the Warcraft-universe. The graphical phidelity ofcourse have increased over time with better software and tools to make them, but the style havent changed much.
    I'm not saying graphics would ruin the experience. It would enhance it. I think Warcraft III was a great game in itself but with the upgrade they are giving it on Reforged it looks even better! It's not a matter of graphics in itself, but the ability that current engines have to make the worlds look more vibrant and the models more true to the characters' depictions in lore and art. I don't think even the current character graphics on live are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING in comparison to other games in the market but they look alive and very expressive and I love it. I would just really appreciate having a fully remade Classic world because now I know that there are means to make it a reality.

Also I've played during Vanilla, even though I was pretty young at the time, but I grew accustomed to the graphics as they improved over time, it will always feel weird to go back to the 2004 looks of the game. Hell I look at screenshots I took during Cataclysm and feel weirded out by the difference between my characters and the environment of the new areas they added, but it's of course just my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    I don't think people are playing a re-release of a 15 year old game for "muh grafixx!!!"
    I actually would, I'd love to see the old zones remade with all the care and attention to detail recent expansion zones have had. It would feel like Classic and at the same time a brand new game. It would make me want to explore it all again just to see what new details they've added in the scenery.

I'm not saying graphics would ruin the experience. It would enhance it. I think Warcraft III was a great game in itself but with the upgrade they are giving it on Reforged it looks even better! It's not a matter of graphics in itself, but the ability that current engines have to make the worlds look more vibrant and the models more true to the characters' depictions in lore and art. I don't think even the current character graphics on live are ABSOLUTELY AMAZING in comparison to other games in the market but they look alive and very expressive and I love it. I would just really appreciate having a fully remade Classic world because now I know that there are means to make it a reality.

Also I've played during Vanilla, even though I was pretty young at the time, but I grew accustomed to the graphics as they improved over time, it will always feel weird to go back to the 2004 looks of the game. Hell I look at screenshots I took during Cataclysm and feel weirded out by the difference between my characters and the environment of the new areas they added, but it's of course just my opinion.

I have to disagree on that the new graphics would enhance Classic and that Wc3 Reforged looks great. But yes, i can appreciate good graphical phidelity and the work put into making that look good. But you don't need excellent graphic phidelity to make a world look vibrant and have details nor make them "more true to the characters depictions in lore and art".

A good illustration of a character displays a snapshot of the characteristics of the character in an action. A single frame. While in a game, the flow if frames portraits the characteristics of the characters within the flows of the actions. With more graphical phidelity it's offen harder to portray characteristic because it requires more effort for it to be equal or better done to convince the viewer of what the characters characteristic are and their intentions. As i said in the previous post. When there is a lack of graphical phidelity(as in low resolution models or textures) your mind fills the gaps makes it look more whole. It's more important to have a coherent graphic style, that's why even old sprite graphics can look good today while early polygon graphics looks dated and "bad". This is why Classic shouldn't blend the new and old graphics, because the crash between the new and old graphics makes the whole looks less coherent.

On the Wc3 Reforged thing, apparently i'm the only only in my circle of friends that think Reforged looks like a cheap chinese rip off and not a Blizzard created Warcraft 3 Remaster. Blizzard can make absolutly great stuff but Reforged looks cheap and plasticly.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulatomten View Post
    I have to disagree on that the new graphics would enhance Classic and that Wc3 Reforged looks great. But yes, i can appreciate good graphical phidelity and the work put into making that look good. But you don't need excellent graphic phidelity to make a world look vibrant and have details nor make them "more true to the characters depictions in lore and art".

A good illustration of a character displays a snapshot of the characteristics of the character in an action. A single frame. While in a game, the flow if frames portraits the characteristics of the characters within the flows of the actions. With more graphical phidelity it's offen harder to portray characteristic because it requires more effort for it to be equal or better done to convince the viewer of what the characters characteristic are and their intentions. As i said in the previous post. When there is a lack of graphical phidelity(as in low resolution models or textures) your mind fills the gaps makes it look more whole. It's more important to have a coherent graphic style, that's why even old sprite graphics can look good today while early polygon graphics looks dated and "bad". This is why Classic shouldn't blend the new and old graphics, because the crash between the new and old graphics makes the whole looks less coherent.

On the Wc3 Reforged thing, apparently i'm the only only in my circle of friends that think Reforged looks like a cheap chinese rip off and not a Blizzard created Warcraft 3 Remaster. Blizzard can make absolutly great stuff but Reforged looks cheap and plasticly.
    I absolutely understand what you mean, and I think it's fair that you leave some details for player interpretation, and yes, graphical upgrade can actually be worst if not done properly. While I would really enjoy seeing a revamped world, if only to see the direction they'd go with it, I also understand why many want it to be brought back the exact same way as it was.

Also, that's too bad you don't enjoy Reforged, I also believe some things can yet be improved but I'm enjoying it so far. Perhaps it will grow on you with time, just like Classic will probably grow on me once I get used to the older models again (it'll be fun to play trolls again when their facial expressions didn't look super angry I guess, hahah!)

I really hope the don't have updated models just like I hope all the old glitches and what not are still there. I also hope they don't use current wow system requirements I want to run older PC to play it and hope I don't have to upgrade for the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, they should allow people to change graphics to HD version on their own clients as long as they do not display that way for others. Kinda like Left 4 dead graphic mods where you see the model changes but others can't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weallscream View Post
    This is why it's called classic. So no thank you. Next.
    I agree with you 100%.

All these damn people want classic but don't want classic...

It is not called Classic Remastered.
    But like I say, as long as others cannot see the graphic settings a user chooses, I guess who gives a damn.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Honestly, they should allow people to change graphics to HD version on their own clients as long as they do not display that way for others. Kinda like Left 4 dead graphic mods where you see the model changes but others can't.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you 100%.

All these damn people want classic but don't want classic...

It is not called Classic Remastered.
    But like I say, as long as others cannot see the graphic settings a user chooses, I guess who gives a damn.
    And it's not called Vanilla or simple World of Warcraft rerelease. Will you purchase a 15 year old computer, screen and mouse as well? Will you play on low res settings, not use modern voice programs?

I'm going to play the shit out of classic with my 38" ultra wide monitor, and hope for 4k textures and updated graphics in the future. Because it's 2019, not 2004. As long as they keep a Classic Graphics settings button for everyone (even my self when I want to) it should be perfectly fine if other people get the new models and animations because it won't change shit for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Askyl View Post
    And it's not called Vanilla or simple World of Warcraft rerelease.
    It's not called anything pertaining to "remastered", "HD", or anything like that either.

Shoo.

I am all for No Changes Vanilla but wtf do the updated models have to do with change. WHY is it such a problem for people if others see updated graphics on their screens? It CHANGES NOTHING. It doesn't affect gameplay. I have been playing since Vanilla and I praised the gods when Blizzard decided to finally upgrade the models in WoD. They have been outdated by birth. Sure when I was 10 I didn't mind the pixelated eyebrows and abs, the block-shaped hairstyles and painted beards but.... I am not 10 anymore. Back then there weren't many other alternatives and even then people still refused to play WoW because of how "ugly" (I didn't share that opinion but so many of my friends not only refused to give it a try but even ridiculed me for playing it myself) it is.

WHY is it so hard to let people have what they want, when it DOESN'T AFFECT YOU personally at all. What do you want to prove? Are you bitter because people enjoyed the game more during Vanilla? I loved Vanilla. You can tell me it was X or Y or Z, but I know what I felt back then and you cannot change that. That being said I also love the current game (while I have always had some things that I am not a fan of in every itteration of the game, I still love it) too. And I especially love the new updated graphics and art style that started with Mists of Pandaria.

Please, for the love of Elune, allow us a toggle option for updated models/graphics/ANYTHING that doesn't affect gameplay.

Classic will be dead in 3 months, there is no point to update anything to a dead game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenist View Post
    Classic will be dead in 3 months, there is no point to update anything to a dead game.
    i would rather say the same for current Exp LOL.

On topic: If you are actually making a drama for no model updates i have a tip for you: don't play classic.
    Stick to Bfa/other games since Classic = nostalgia + gameplay + hours of grinding and if you care so much for graphic design well...that's bad aka not the game you are looking for (even tho i really don't care if it comes with the option to toggle new models or not, it's not game changing for me; just don't touch the gameplay and i'm fine).
    Last edited by Cardian; 2019-04-04 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It's not called anything pertaining to "remastered", "HD", or anything like that either.

Shoo.
    No, it's called Classic. A modern version of the classic game. It's in the new engine, it's with a lot of new features like bnet and it's an up to date 2019 game simulating vanilla.

But I guess you're one of the #nochanges person that unfortunetly can't play at all. Since you won't be able to get past the launcher to start the game =(

I have a really strong suspicion that they'll throw in a new model toggle at some point later on.

On launch, expect them to be cautious and not include it because a sizable portion of the classic fanbase treats it like a religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would subconsciously create a gap in the graphics. Its actually quite important that the graphics stay consistent across the board in order to not make the worse graphics stick out. It'd be as jarring as the CGI they added to the original star wars several decades after and how out of place it looks. As much as I like choice, I think its important that the models stay consistent.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenist View Post
    Ahh the classic internet troll. Unhappy with his own game so wants to trash talk other peoples. I wont even be 60 in 3 months so it wont be dead for me

It's Classic and people want everything to stay classic. You are not getting new models no matter how much you create threads like this one. Blizzard certainly isn't going to throw a bunch of $$ at Classic either as much of the player base are already playing retail.