Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Horde and Alliance are like the European Union

I think this is the closest real-world analogy we have to them

So, we have two unions of vastly different nations and even races. Which have rather different interests, but are united for the sake of the benefits they get from the union (stronger economy, military, etc).

Not surprisingly, they face the same problems as the EU:
    1) The decision making is hard, slow and very inefficient because every race has different interests and objectives
    2) Races sometimes want out since their interest are vasty different from those the whole union (UK/Tauren)
    3) But they don't really want out since that will bring even more problems
    4) The Warchief (and whatever the alliance leader is called) is not all-powerful - similar to the EU commission. While the warchief defines the main war direction and objectives, every race is more or less pursuing thei own interest in the undertaking, which often contradict the main effort and creates a lot of conflicts along the way.

For example, in Northrend you could clearly see the Orcs moving in from the Tundra for a direct assault, the Undead starting at the Fjord, and the Goblins testing out their shredders and whatever else they have as well as moving into the Storm Peak.

5) Finally, there are no universal laws across the Horde or Alliance, so something that one race might consider good or appropriate would be completely unappealing to another one.

I think Sylvanas is pretty fast at killing stuff.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dunno man. The warchief has some kind of dictator position in the Horde. You follow what he/she want's, else you are a traitor.
    The blood oath should give you a good indication of what I am talking about.

Regarding the Alliance, maybe a little bit? Hard to compare it since we know so little about how the internal structures of the Alliance work. What would happen if some race would like to leave the Alliance? No fucking idea.

Also there are in the EU some "universal" laws which each country has to follow.

yea this is completely wrong. for some reason there are a growing number of horde fans out there who want to think they are in a liberal faction? but the horde is and has always been openly a fascist military dictatorship. i mean thats like the chief appeal of the faction thats why people like it. on a fantasy level of course because no one could possibly enjoy being a citizen of the horde irl.

the alliance is harder to place because while the horde structure is very simple the alliance is seemingly more complex but blizzard never goes into detail so we cant really draw many conclusions.

They are more like a parody of any political group in the story
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Quote Originally Posted by sillag View Post
    on a fantasy level of course because no one could possibly enjoy being a citizen of the horde irl.
    The people of Dalaran, Exodar, Suramar and Quel'thalas should have the most laid back lives, with quite a high living standard due to magic etc. , otherwise it would suck to be a average citizen of any other nation on the planet.

OT

Nope it isn't at all, not even remotely

Quote Originally Posted by Leodric View Post
    Dunno man. The warchief has some kind of dictator position in the Horde. You follow what he/she want's, else you are a traitor.
    The blood oath should give you a good indication of what I am talking about.
    Well yes and no. The leaders here definitely have a lot more control than in the EU analogy - but (I would assume) in a war situation the EU would also act a lot more centralized under one central command. Interestingly enough we've never had peaceful times in WoW history, so it's hard to say how it operates in peaceful times.
    At the same time, the other leaders - as we could clearly see - are willing to object to the warchief or to openly disobey the command (like Saurfang with Malfurion) without any consequences for them whatsoever.

Regarding the Alliance, maybe a little bit? Hard to compare it since we know so little about how the internal structures of the Alliance work. What would happen if some race would like to leave the Alliance? No fucking idea.
    Agreed, the is almost no information about the alliance politics, which seems to be completely neglected by Blizzard.

Also there are in the EU some "universal" laws which each country has to follow.
    I think the same applies to the Horde/Alliance, like in a war everybody has to provide manpower.

-----------------

Answering the other posts - yes, Horde is obviously not a liberal confederation I would assume it's more like what the EU would be in it was in a state of constant war.

Both factions are written by people who have at best a high school kid's understanding of politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I didn't know that Sylvanas was chosen from a directly elected parliament that can at any point request her resignation
    Actually can they? We've seen revolts against the warchief, but we don't know if Saurfang, Baine, Lor'themar, Trade Prince Gallywix and whoever is representing the Horde pandas have any way of removing the warchief from power, apart from the most direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pangalactic View Post
    Actually can they? We've seen revolts against the warchief, but we don't know if Saurfang, Baine, Lor'themar, Trade Prince Gallywix and whoever is representing the Horde pandas have any way of removing the warchief from power, apart from the most direct.
    The only way of removing the warchief is a duel, there is nothing democratically involved, the horde was created to be essentially a giant army, by the machinations of the legion. To this day it has remained the core structure of the Horde, even after Thrall took over.

nah

Alliance = NATO
    Horde = USSR

No, maybe it was.

Now it's just cartoon level good vs villain antics. The shit writing is making it REALLY difficult to take seriously.

Without Sylvanas being bonkers for the sake of being bonkers (and nearly everyone else in the Horde following her unquestioning) everyone would basically be at peace now. Even the Alliance infighting and dramas are purely down to responses to the Hordes actions.

At the same time though, the Horde turning "bad" is so cyclical now that Alliance at the end of the expansion just going "If your Horde fails to uphold honor AGAIN, we will end you." will just be embarrassing.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    No, maybe it was.
    It is fundamentally different on pretty much any level, there is really not a comparison to be made there. The only thing they have really in common is being a group of states under a label.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I didn't know that Sylvanas was chosen from a directly elected parliament that can at any point request her resignation
    They can. They requested Garrosh's resignation, but he wasn't smart enough to step down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    nah

Alliance = NATO
    Horde = USSR
    I would say opposite. Alliance has a hivemind Anduin, while Horde is messy political alliance which fights itself.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    ...I would say opposite. Alliance has a hivemind Anduin, while Horde is messy political alliance which fights itself.
    I'd say the Horde is like the EU and the Alliance is like the US...

Horde - EU
    Orcs - Germany
    Forsaken - Turkey
    Tauren - Sweden
    Troll - France
    Blood Elf - Spain
    Goblin - UK
    Nightborne - Portugal
    Highmountain - Netherlands
    Mag'har - Italy
    Zandalar - Russia

Alliance - US
    Dwarf - New England
    Gnome - West Coast
    Night Elf - Central US
    Worgen - Texas
    Draenei - Midwest
    Lightforged - North West
    Void Elf - Great Lakes
    Dark Iron - South
    Kul Tiran - Louisiana
    Pandas - Florida

* Since we are all Humans I dropped them from the Alliance and put Pandas there to even things out.

- - - Updated - - -

I realize Russia isn't part of the EU... but the US doesn't really claim Florida either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I'd say the Horde is like the EU and the Alliance is like the US...

Horde - EU
    Orcs - Germany
    Forsaken - Turkey
    Tauren - Sweden
    Troll - France
    Blood Elf - Spain
    Goblin - UK
    Nightborne - Portugal
    Highmountain - Netherlands
    Mag'har - Italy
    Zandalar - Russia

Alliance - US
    Dwarf - New England
    Gnome - West Coast
    Night Elf - Central US
    Worgen - Texas
    Draenei - Midwest
    Lightforged - North West
    Void Elf - Great Lakes
    Dark Iron - South
    Kul Tiran - Louisiana
    Pandas - Florida

* Since we are all Humans I dropped them from the Alliance and put Pandas there to even things out.

- - - Updated - - -

I realize Russia isn't part of the EU... but the US doesn't really claim Florida either.
    Several of these comparisons are simply WTF.
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Don't insult H and A like that. EUnion is an absolute trash.

They can. They requested Garrosh's resignation, but he wasn't smart enough to step down.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say opposite. Alliance has a hivemind Anduin, while Horde is messy political alliance which fights itself.
    Nah, the Horde is more like the USSR.

While the inner Horde factions may bicker a little and have slightly different goals, each race swears fealty to the Warchief. That's why disobeying is straight up treason. Unlike the Alliance, if Tyrande decides not to listen to Anduin, the most Anduin can really say is "that's fucked up Tyrande! we need to be a team!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Nah, the Horde is more like the USSR.

While the inner Horde factions may bicker a little and have slightly different goals, each race swears fealty to the Warchief. That's why disobeying is straight up treason. Unlike the Alliance, if Tyrande decides not to listen to Anduin, the most Anduin can really say is "that's fucked up Tyrande! we need to be a team!"
    Disobedience isn't treason in Horde. To become a traitor, you have to destroy your warchief's plans. From what I know Grommash wasn't killed by Thrall. Baine is a traitor not because he is useless, but because he saved Jaina's life. If Tyrande try to save Sylvanas(for some purely theoretical reason), Anduin will mark her as a traitor and imprison her. I don't expect him to execute her because Anduin is Anduin. However, if we imagine Genn being high king...
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Disobedience isn't treason in Horde.
    *has the retarded Blood Oath as a signature.

Sorry, but the Horde is still structured the way the Legion set it up: One figurehead leading mindless minions.

Thrall's greatest failure was not phasing out Warchief in favor of a council.