Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Play anything that is not in the warrior/rogue/mage/priest quaternity. Why? Because I feel like most people will be playing everything that is in this quaternity, so you might want to feel more special than that. So that leaves hunters, locks, druids, and paladins or shaman. I feel like hunters and paladins/shaman will be played a lot. Probably lock and druid will be least played classes, so I'd go with one of those.

These classes won't top meters, but will bring enough utility to warrant a raid spot. And heck, some people are speculating feral druids will be the surprise class for classic WoW, since they can be versatile in tanking and do decent kitty dps. And yet bring utility like Decurse, Innervate, Combat Rez, MotW/LotP/Thorns buffs, Faerie Fire debuff. You get to do some cool things, like be the best Flag carrier in WSG as a druid. Locks bring Healthstones, Soulstones, CoE, Imp buff, Banish CC as utility. And you might get to do some cool things as a lock like tank Twin Emps in AQ40.

Mate Warlock wont be played ? its like top tier pvp class
    I think druid is not a smart choice unless you want to heal ... P.S in vanila they dont have res so in 5 man without a hybrid class to rez people you will suffer from corpse runs.
    Druid will always be a healer at the end if he wants to go end game.
    Cant really tank raids because of the lack of gear and boomkin .. well not enough mana in the world.
    Maybe feral will be seen in pvp but not in raids.

being unique in vanila wow isn't a good thing in most of the cases its a very conservative game style in vanila.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardian View Post
    Hello everyone,
    it's been a week thinking about which class to roll when classic hits in terms of general gameplay and still i can't decide.

I've started playing the game during mid/end Vanilla and my first main was a lvl 43 paladin when tbc was live so i can pretty deal with tedious levelling issues; this time i would like to roll Hunter/Warlock since i've always played melee classes or maybe a warrior even if i know it's gonna be a hell time levelling solo due to poor sustain and item dependance, so i'm looking for some tips from aged players since i can't really decide which one to roll as the main goal would be both going for endgame pve/pvp and i'm looking mainly to enjoy the gameplay and a high skill cap class. (faction is still variable)

Thank you!
    Rogue if you like melee (Pref Undead) .. Otherwise Hunter is one of the most fun to level and and farm gold with -which you will need to do a lot of.

As for casters Mages are a great choice as they can farm groups of mobs as well as being a solid class for all parts of the game.

Hunter Mage or Warlock are really solid choices since they're top 3 levelers, and the best gold farmers in the game. If worst thing happens and you don't like it just reroll and at least you'll still have that class to farm gold on.

My only thought about playing warlock is the soulshard farm simulator before raids, it seems it should take like 1 hour just for that.
    Azshara is like 1min away from Org as Horde, ride about 1 min west from the flight path there and you have lvl 55 mobs that go down very quickly. Not that hard to stock up before a raid. The bag space management is arguably waaaaay more annoying than the act of actually farming them.

The skill cap is higher on Hunters imo. Warlocks are more powerful later on in PvE and Hunters are most powerful near the start. I've played both a 60. Warlock is similar to Mage, who just has to time his trinkets and spam 1 spell. Hunter's are slightly more interactive.

I love all the extras around the Hunter. Pet taming, learning the new skills, camping the rare spawns to get the pet you want etc. You're always needed for raids because of tranq and if you're good you can beat "better" classes played by lesser players.

I'm definitely rolling a hunter alt

Well, class design in classic is very basic so most classes are rather boring, at least compared to pretty much every other expansion. Blizzard didn't put much effort into class design befor TBC after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    Well, class design in classic is very basic so most classes are rather boring, at least compared to pretty much every other expansion. Blizzard didn't put much effort into class design befor TBC after all.
    Almost every single patch included a major rework of a class. The effort was there. It was those iterations that led to tbc being some of the better class designs in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello everyone,
    it's been a week thinking about which class to roll when classic hits in terms of general gameplay and still i can't decide.

I've started playing the game during mid/end Vanilla and my first main was a lvl 43 paladin when tbc was live so i can pretty deal with tedious levelling issues; this time i would like to roll Hunter/Warlock since i've always played melee classes or maybe a warrior even if i know it's gonna be a hell time levelling solo due to poor sustain and item dependance, so i'm looking for some tips from aged players since i can't really decide which one to roll as the main goal would be both going for endgame pve/pvp and i'm looking mainly to enjoy the gameplay and a high skill cap class. (faction is still variable)

Thank you!
    Leveling as a warrior can be beastly if you have a healer friend.

I’ve always found shamans to be the most fun, druids a close second. Both have a great class fantasy, and sham has very fun gameplay and is aesthetically pleasing to play, with the weapon enchants and lightning shield and multiple elements to use and totems, it’s just a good looking class when you play it, and then the ridiculous versatility as well, earthbind kiting is a really fun and engaging play style and works great in world pvp, while FT dagger and shield feels very fast paced and streamlined, ghost wolf is a very early travel speed boost and when talented it can be used in pvp effectively. Plus at max level you’re a very coveted healing spec, resto shams honestly we’re kings of utility and raid healing up until wrath. Then you have a god tier pvp spec in elemental.

Druids have a similar appeal except they’re just less effective at 60. Very versatile and solo capable, basically untouchable in world pvp and can escape most ganks even against higher levels and multiple enemies, I consider them the best levelers over hunter because you have stealth and major movespeed bonus from lvl 20 on, and can also fill multiple roles to get yourself easy invites to leveling dungeons so you have the phat lewtz and big xp bumps from dungeon quests, and you can also take on multiple mobs nearly as well as hunters with thorns and cat bleeds and bear form and easy cast heals, just get stam and spirit leveling a Druid and you are 100% golden and should breeze through, at lvl 60 you have next to no competition for loot, you have a low pressure role in raids just needing to keep folks topped off and keeping the priests innervated, and contrary to popular belief you can carve a fun part time role of tanking 5 mans at 60 when you aren’t raiding as resto, just get some rogue gear and stack armor and stam as much as possible, and obviously flag carrying is a really fun role to play in pvp

10+ Year Old Account
    in vanilla?

PvP:
    1. definitely rogue. any spec.
    2. enhancement shaman, elemental mage.
    3. hunter, healer druid.

PvE:
    - for solo, warlock, hunter, rogue.
    - for 5mans, tank warrior, priest healer.
    - for raids, nothing really. maybe fire mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only thought about playing warlock is the soulshard farm simulator before raids, it seems it should take like 1 hour just for that.
    It's not that bad, but it's annoying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    in vanilla?

PvP:
    1. definitely rogue. any spec.
    2. enhancement shaman, elemental mage.
    3. hunter, healer druid.

PvE:
    - for solo, warlock, hunter, rogue.
    - for 5mans, tank warrior, priest healer.
    - for raids, nothing really. maybe fire mage.
    PvP/PvE - mage for everything.

Mages with brain and gear were top choice for both. 1v1 - could reset fights 100 times. PvE - most convenient and safest damage dealer that actually deals damage.

I played Shaman in Vanilla with no regrets, and my guild let me go elemental on a lot of fights and later enhancement when I had decent enough gear for off-healing on certain fights. They usually kept me in the group with the melee dps for the WF totem.

10+ Year Old Account
    "DURIDS IS 4 haf FUN TIME WIT FRENS every1 is like a fun time durid!!"

this link is the single best explanation of why a class is fun I know of. You may need to speak moonfare to understand it.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    Almost every single patch included a major rework of a class. The effort was there. It was those iterations that led to tbc being some of the better class designs in the game.
    They started actually working on it in TBC but the core design of most classes was horrible in TBC as well and the balances was a complete train wreck. In any case, the vanilla design is quite litteraly crap compared to what retail has and most classes are very shallow and boring.

5+ Year Old Account
    I played Druid during Vanilla and there were an absolute blast! All the different forms, the class quests, cheetah form, stealth, heal. They can do it all and good luck catching them in open world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PavelGolub View Post
    Mate Warlock wont be played ? its like top tier pvp class
    I think druid is not a smart choice unless you want to heal ... P.S in vanila they dont have res so in 5 man without a hybrid class to rez people you will suffer from corpse runs.
    Druid will always be a healer at the end if he wants to go end game.
    Cant really tank raids because of the lack of gear and boomkin .. well not enough mana in the world.
    Maybe feral will be seen in pvp but not in raids.

being unique in vanila wow isn't a good thing in most of the cases its a very conservative game style in vanila.
    Druids overall are awesome in pvp. And Moonkins are a very underrated spec...very.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    I played Druid during Vanilla and there were an absolute blast! All the different forms, the class quests, cheetah form, stealth, heal. They can do it all and good luck catching them in open world.

- - - Updated - - -

Druids overall are awesome in pvp. And Moonkins are a very underrated spec...very.
    Yeah druids are idd good in PVP no doubt there great play style but PVE they are resto or they are not there pretty much , Moonkin is fun and its strong BUT their mana pool is just not enough even with good gear so they are like 10 seconds effective then OOM and they cant use Intervane because if they wont save it from a healer in raid they are gone and no one will take them to raid.

So if you want to PVP druid is deffo a great choice but for all activities in game you will be forced to go resto.

5+ Year Old Account
    Fun Classes? Hmmm. History, Literature. Chemistry starts out fun, but becomes super boring on later levels.

Quote Originally Posted by PavelGolub View Post
    So if you want to PVP druid is deffo a great choice but for all activities in game you will be forced to go resto.
    Not entirely true. Druids can tank 5 mans just fine if that's your thing, they're fine in entry level raiding too and probably much further beyond if you can keep your gear up to date. They'll probably be relegated to an off tank, but that affords them the opportunity to use Combat Resses and Innervates, and the chance to jump into Cat Form when not required to tank.

They also don't really share the bulk of their gear with Warrior tanks, Rogues, or other Druids so they should gear up fast. They also absorb some gear that would otherwise just be sharded.

I'm not saying you should pick a Druid if you want to tank, but it's definately an option. Not the prefered option, but if you're prepared to put in the time and effort you can be effective as a Bear Druid.

5+ Year Old Account
    I recall having a lot of fun levelling as a lock. Testing the limits of just how much I could pull without getting smashed. It was the quickest too, i think i did a whole level down in one of the catacombs in Darkshire and got some sweet drops too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Doubt you'll have to summon the entire raid before every run though, in the high end guilds where you actually want every second on your worldbuffs you'd have nerds with summoning alts, and anything below that people wouldn't care to let you summon all other 35 people to not let them waste bufftime.

I played locks forever and I almost never had to prefarm, most raids have enough trashmobs anyway to get shards on, and doing a 5man you still need, or a ZG the day before the raid and just remember to end the raid will full shards will always be enough.

When we go Onyxia at the end of the raidnight, (a place where a lot of slackers will need to get summoned to) I'd just remember to stock up on shards on MC trash if that's the raid we doing before Onyxia.

That said I've always enjoyed casters and imo you can never go wrong with either a Mage or Lock. You cannot always decide, as there's more factors that go into faction, but as a caster i'd go alliance side because I expect the horde, even in classic, to favour melee and be very melee-heavy raidteams, where casters are often neglected in many scenarios. they wouldn't bother with 3 locks for CoS for example, or you'd have 20 warriors needing tier2.5 head token and locks being after them etc. Small things but still worth considering.

Priest I always played a lot, in pvts but also my main in 'real' vanilla back in the day, having played other classes like Paladin and casters I just don't like priest as much anymore, too mana restricted, shielding ppl is annoying when already trying to catch up manawise on trash, feels pretty squishy, overall just not as interesting to me anymore (but maybe because I just played the class to death, but then again mage/lock I can still play so...). Paladin as a healer might be monotone for some, but as a priest the constant manastruggle (not on bosses, but on trash as most guilds will pull pretty quickly) and buffing fortitude, being oom again just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    They started actually working on it in TBC but the core design of most classes was horrible in TBC as well and the balances was a complete train wreck. In any case, the vanilla design is quite litteraly crap compared to what retail has and most classes are very shallow and boring.
    That's my biggest complaint about bfa, the classes are all flavorless and boring. Not all specs were competitive back then and all optimal rotations weren't necessarily great but they were definitely much more interesting than they are now.