10+ Year Old Account

Long ago player, rebuilding legacy and outlook for SWToR?

hello and sorry if that gets asked a lot.

but how worthwhile would it be to return now? i mained a juggernaut back in the day and completed the story, twinked a bit here and there and completed bounty hunter (if it was called that) story and tried an imperial agent. I THINK.

returned for some giveaway of hutt cartel stuff and some other new content, cleared the solo stuff and went off the grid again. i cannot really say where my char would be right now. somewhere after hutt stuff for sure.

seeing that trailer for knights of the eternal throne i kinda liked the thought of returning. i haven't had a sub since it went f2p and would resub to have access to most of my stuff.

now for the real talk:

- how or has the game evolved a bit? is there a story again after the original one?
    - how is the engine doing, some upgrades there?
    - is a sub enough or is there a minimum you can/should to for great effect?
    - am i able to enjoy the game mostly solo?

and the most pressing one:

- is. it. worth. it?

are there signs of a shutdown in the distance? does the game feel abandoned after anthem? would you encoure a resub or just let me be by myself with fond memories?

thanks in advance!
    From Ancient Terra the Emperor commands His Proud Sons.
    From revered Blood-stock these Warriors are made His Proud Sons.
    No fear they shall know as Adeptus Astartes, His Proud Sons.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    hello and sorry if that gets asked a lot.

but how worthwhile would it be to return now? i mained a juggernaut back in the day and completed the story, twinked a bit here and there and completed bounty hunter (if it was called that) story and tried an imperial agent. I THINK.

returned for some giveaway of hutt cartel stuff and some other new content, cleared the solo stuff and went off the grid again. i cannot really say where my char would be right now. somewhere after hutt stuff for sure.

seeing that trailer for knights of the eternal throne i kinda liked the thought of returning. i haven't had a sub since it went f2p and would resub to have access to most of my stuff.

now for the real talk:

- how or has the game evolved a bit? is there a story again after the original one?
    - how is the engine doing, some upgrades there?
    - is a sub enough or is there a minimum you can/should to for great effect?
    - am i able to enjoy the game mostly solo?

- is. it. worth. it?

are there signs of a shutdown in the distance? does the game feel abandoned after anthem? would you encoure a resub or just let me be by myself with fond memories?

thanks in advance!
    how or has the game evolved a bit? is there a story again after the original one?

The game has evolved a bit just like any other MMO, character skills and trees were reworked a bit, but nothing HUGELY game changing. Main thing now is that you select your advanced class when creating your character.

how is the engine doing, some upgrades there?

Not really. The "end game" still consists of OLD raids, heroics, etc.... But they implemented Galactic Command xp, which basically once you reach level cap (or sooner, I'm not sure, I don't pay attention to it) any xp you collect from any activity you do is applied to your command xp and every time you level up you get a loot box. There are tiers, higher tiers give you better loot, but the tiers span a VERY large range. You can still get gear from raids, and that would be the fastest way. I personally despise the Galactic Command System, simply because it's subscriber only and is the biggest slog I've ever seen in my life considering just how old all of the content is that you use to get Galactic Command xp. I theory, it's great; EVERYTHING you do goes towards getting relevant rewards, but the sheer amount of grind and repetition involved kills it for me.

EDIT: And I thought it said "end game" not engine.

No there's been no change in the engine. The game still plays like it did years ago. With some VERY minor tweaks here and there.

is a sub enough or is there a minimum you can/should to for great effect?

A sub is plenty. You get everything you need from the sub to enjoy the game to it's fullest extent, unless your an absolute customization fanatic, in which case buying cartel coins to fit your "needs" would be recommended.

am i able to enjoy the game mostly solo?

Yes, you can enjoy pretty much everything, except raids of course, in this game solo.

is. it. worth. it?

I 100% think so, especially for what you get for just 1 month sub. If you enjoyed it before, You'll enjoy it now. How long that enjoyment lasts differs from person to person. But if you haven't played through the Shadow of Revan content or either of the two "recent" KotFE or KotET story expansions. 1 month sub is absolutely worth what you get from it.

No, this game is not close to being shut down, IMO. It's still profitable and Disney recently (like 2-3 days ago) said they have no plans to pull licensing from EA for Star Wars games and is happy with the partnership. I don't see this game going anywhere for a while. But that's good and bad. It's not going to go away, but it also doesn't seem to be moving forward very much either.
    Last edited by Katchii; 2019-02-08 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    I haven't really played much in the last year or so, but I saw there was new story content released recently. Is that story still single-player only or can you do it in a group yet? My wife and I miss this game but it sucks that so much of the content they've added can only be done solo so we can't really play together. And as for the old content, well there's only so many times I can go do Rishi and Yavin 4 (and even other heroics) for credits and command xp before I get bored out of my mind. I miss the difficulty level of the old Tactical Flashpoints, they were just perfect for me ... but they had to make those "challenging" so now they're all just no fun to run IMO.s I don't mind having to put forth effort, I despise having to suffer through fools that can't do mechanics properly and waste my time. Is there anything worth doing doing besides heroics and flashpoints? Don't mention PvP, I suck hard at that
    It's largely a single player game, since for story stuff you can't double/group up to complete it. There are Operations to do at max level that are tuned to be challenging, so if you want to find/ make a group for those you can. Otherwise, Heroics and Flashpoints are really all there is as far as instanced organized type content. But I know guilds organize stuff for Conquest tasks to earn rewards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    That's really a big killer right there. My wife and I would love to do the story together, we are far less interested in doing it solo

Hehe, Ops are not my thing. I barely do LFR in WoW I've just never found that sort of content appealing.

That seems pretty much what it comes down to that we can do together. FPs, Heroics and Conquest. FPs are just too demanding for the typical player it seems, or you get hardened vets that expect you to know every shortcut and leave no room for learning. Heroics are just kinda boring after doing them so many times. Conquest is a fun goal, but it typically involves all these other things that I'm just not grooving on lol. It'd be nice if crafting was more important, or FPs were like the old tacticals, or the story content could be done in a group. We WANT to play SWTOR so much but there's just not enough for us to do together that we would find fun
    So... you can do the expansion stories together, but you'll have to basically go through them twice. Because progress in one player's quests don't carry over to the other player, much like the Class quests. If you played the same class you'd have to do all the class quests twice. This is so you can make your own decisions in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by sylenna View Post
    - is. it. worth. it?
    It is free see for yourself. You might as well be asking what your favorite food and color should be too.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvito View Post
    It is free see for yourself. You might as well be asking what your favorite food and color should be too.
    Free with all those restrictions? pfft. No. Might as well pay or not play. Don't like the question don't answer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    Free with all those restrictions? pfft. No. Might as well pay or not play. Don't like the question don't answer it.
    It is a question that can't be answered. They have played so many restrictions aren't there or won't impact anything they do, unless they liked the game and wanted to play more. At that point they have their answer and can pay up or not.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

There's definitely nothing really going on super special... I started it up again maybe like a year a year and half ago or something now maybe... like 4-05 months ago I'm bad with time and dates I realize slightly...

Well that aside basically nothings'c hanged, nothing significant anyway it's the exact same game before it's hedged everything on just completing the original mass of content, and
    since the team has largely broken up there isn't much else to be done at this point regarding it on a nukber number of different levels.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    Many of the restrictions aren't game breaking. The gearing issue doesn't apply at 70 because the tier gear is purple quality not orange quality so EVERYONE can equip it regardless of sub status. Action bars aren't all that game breaking. Hiding helm is one of the furthest things from game breaking. Unify colors is the next furthest thing from game breaking besides the hiding helm. Companion customization is another far thing from game breaking. The only real restrictions for preferred or F2P players is the credit limit (can be overcame by buying escrow tokens), mailing credits to other players, attaching more than 1 item in a mail to someone else, and the number of warzones you can do per week. Everything else is purely cosmetic and/or quality of life issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Many of the restrictions aren't game breaking. The gearing issue doesn't apply at 70 because the tier gear is purple quality not orange quality so EVERYONE can equip it regardless of sub status. Action bars aren't all that game breaking. Hiding helm is one of the furthest things from game breaking. Unify colors is the next furthest thing from game breaking besides the hiding helm. Companion customization is another far thing from game breaking. The only real restrictions for preferred or F2P players is the credit limit (can be overcame by buying escrow tokens), mailing credits to other players, attaching more than 1 item in a mail to someone else, and the number of warzones you can do per week. Everything else is purely cosmetic and/or quality of life issues.
    I remember in the past that a) you had no access to raids at all and b) no access to gear drops after 3 flashpoints per week, or something along those lines. Did they change those?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I remember in the past that a) you had no access to raids at all and b) no access to gear drops after 3 flashpoints per week, or something along those lines. Did they change those?
    You can do raids/ops and wear the gear that drops in there since they are purple quality not orange. You're limited to a certain amount of flashpoints as far as I can remember but I know its not 3 if they have a limit on flashpoints. Warzones it is 5 per week though so if you're a PvP'er it would suck.

You can do raids/ops and wear the gear that drops in there since they are purple quality not orange. You're limited to a certain amount of flashpoints as far as I can remember but I know its not 3 if they have a limit on flashpoints. Warzones it is 5 per week though so if you're a PvP'er it would suck.
    um... when did they make raids available to non subscribers? cause last I played which was relatively recently - weekly passes were still kaput and the ONLY way to acess raids OR galactic command is via subscription. you literally cannot gear up beyond hoping for a nice person to craft you something (buying mods is a crapshoot, as with current inflation, you.. might be able to afford starter mods at best with preferred gold limit) and you can NOT acess most of end game stuff without subscription.
    Last edited by Witchblade77; 2019-04-11 at 06:03 AM.

The restriction is epic quality gear, which is purple, orange is adaptive gear which has never been restricted to just subscribers. You can't put purple mods into your adaptive gear either.

Doing Operations and earning Command XP is locked to subscribers only. The limit on Flashpoints isn't how many you can do, it's how many you're allowed to get loot from, you can run as many as you want, but after a certain number you can't get loot.

Regardless of any of that, I personally simply won't play SW:ToR without a subscription, far too restrictive IMO and annoying about telling you you're trash because you don't sub. Walk into a cantina/ rest area and you get giant text on your screen telling you that you won't get rested xp because you're not a subscriber *which is the biggest offender IMO). Changing your spec at the Skill Mentor and you get a reminder that it's not free to you because you're not a subscriber. Credit cap because you're not a sub, and all the other stupid restrictions with customization (but these can be removed with items, just annoying you even have to do that).

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The restriction is epic quality gear, which is purple, orange is adaptive gear which has never been restricted to just subscribers. You can't put purple mods into your adaptive gear either.

Doing Operations and earning Command XP is locked to subscribers only. The limit on Flashpoints isn't how many you can do, it's how many you're allowed to get loot from, you can run as many as you want, but after a certain number you can't get loot.
    Yeah, that's what I remember as well from almost 2 years ago since I last played, thanks for the clarification.