Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Can anybody remember the reason we were given for going to time release rep grinds?

Can anybody remember the reason we were given for going to time release rep grinds?

I finally pulled the plug on the Zandalari rep grind. I thought one of my kids would see it through on his charactor, but he said screw it too.

I miss the days I used to tell my wife I am going to need 72 hours, no interuptions and the coffee maker moved to my desk. I would take a few days, play for an ultra marathon and bang it out with a few friends doing the same.

Now you have to log on everyday, get your little pittance of quests, do them and then nothing else, no possible way to grind rep.

After reading the PC Gamer article I am left shaking my head. Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like they remove things from the game people enjoy so they don't get used to gameplay they enjoy? Did I read it wrong?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You mean Cataclysm? Because that's the only time I can remember where you could "take a few days, play for an ultra marathon."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Yes. i like how ESO keeps the entire world and all of its content stays relevant forever. As a living breathing world that Azeroth is it makes no sense to only have the most recent zone be relevant and everything else sit in a time Capsule. That would take effort though. It's All about the spreadsheets and esports now. Blizzard doesn't care about RPG.

I don't think doing emissaries two or three times per week is much of a grind, after three months you are exalted with everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    I don't think doing emissaries two or three times per week is much of a grind, after three months you are exalted with everything.
    Doesn't work so well when the game is so boring you unsubscribe / stop playing / raid log / just can't take the challenge-less monotony any more after 1 month.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkloud View Post
    Now you have to log on everyday, get your little pittance of quests, do them and then nothing else, no possible way to grind rep.

After reading the PC Gamer article I am left shaking my head. Maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like they remove things from the game people enjoy so they don't get used to gameplay they enjoy? Did I read it wrong?
    No, you didn't read that wrong. They remove things that players enjoy but designers find hard to work around. F. example rep tabards, it was way too easy for a person to do as you did, no-life for 3 days straight and then be out of stuff to do, and be bored.

So instead, they try to force people to pace themselves, making most of us bored / apathetic from the get go, but hey -- you have your dailies to do, right? Can't tell us you have no content!!

They're designing their game for developers -- to make it easy to design & develop, not for players -- to be fun / engaging. I think they understand that this doesn't work, but they just don't know how to change it because they don't play their own game any more.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2019-04-06 at 09:59 AM.

I rarely got exalted with some fraction before Legion xpac. I can't complain

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You mean you don't get rewards if you don't play the game? Color me shocked.
    It's like this: Why would I keep playing to get to the final boss of a game that sucks? The problem isn't that I want rewards for not playing the game. The problem is I want playing the game for those rewards to be fun / challenging, not just a bunch of time-wasting chores.

No other game fans think like this. "Oh you didn't like Star Wars battle front 2 because you want to play darth vader, and you don't want to play as a shitty trooper for 30 days real time to unlock it? what entitlement amirite?" -- this shit made them the most downvoted post in reddit history, but WoW fans do this daily.

Seriously, the stockholm syndrome of wow community is astounding.

I finally pulled the plug on the Zandalari rep grind.
    i got the rep in simply by paying attention to my mission table and logging in to check and see if zandalar emissary was up. it wasn't too bad, but i started a couple months before they released the race.

as for time releasing, i don't remember that starting until WoD. there's always been some time gating, but there has usually been some farm mobs you could go earn rep if you were close to finished or just bored.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

7+ Year Old Account

I finally pulled the plug on the Zandalari rep grind. I thought one of my kids would see it through on his charactor, but he said screw it too.

I miss the days I used to tell my wife I am going to need 72 hours, no interuptions and the coffee maker moved to my desk. I would take a few days, play for an ultra marathon and bang it out with a few friends doing the same.

Are you refeing to reps like Sons of Hodir or Skettish? Can't really remember many other reps, that you could actually grind outside of cata reps, but that was just dungeon spams.... So im not sure if it was a trend they stopped doing, since it never really was a trend.

That said, i actually agree with you. I loved marathoning some elements of wow, doing something to the extreme to get a head start or just getting something cool. I remember raiding through Skettish with 2 other friends, trying to get rep with the Shatari Sky Guard and get the mana ray mount. The same with getting Alani in MoP, farming for an entire weekend for the Skyshards and killing her at the end was so satisfying
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

Now why would you even want to unlock Zandalari if you don't want to play the game at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Flurryfang View Post
    Are you refeing to reps like Sons of Hodir or Skettish? Can't really remember many other reps, that you could actually grind outside of cata reps, but that was just dungeon spams.... So im not sure if it was a trend they stopped doing, since it never really was a trend.

That said, i actually agree with you. I loved marathoning some elements of wow, doing something to the extreme to get a head start or just getting something cool. I remember raiding through Skettish with 2 other friends, trying to get rep with the Shatari Sky Guard and get the mana ray mount. The same with getting Alani in MoP, farming for an entire weekend for the Skyshards and killing her at the end was so satisfying

Most Vanilla reps could (potentially, but not realistically) be grinded in one sitting; Remember MC / AQ trash runs? Argent Dawn / Thorium Brotherhood / Timbermaw Hold / Cenarion Circle were also largely based on how much grinding you're able to do at any one time. You were not artificially gated. You were gated by how much you were willing or able to play, or how much gold you were willing to invest into turn in drops.

Same for BC / WotlK reps. If you really wanted cenarion expedition you could go and grind steamvaults for the drops on the turn in rep item, or just buy them from the auction house. WOTLK reps with the exception of argent tournament / tuskarr / sons of hodir were, too, attainable by just running dungeons & raids. You could get to exalted with near-everything up to Ashen Verdict without ever touching a daily quest.

This is what people want, choices and agency. I don't want to HAVE TO do the WQs and nothing else. Give me dungeon rep drops, give me PvP tokens that 'honor the kul tiran factions by killing horde', give me some mobs I can grind to slowly but surely get it up at my own pace, and not at the pace the game thinks it should be.

Now why would you even want to unlock Zandalari if you don't want to play the game at all.
    I want to play the game, but I simply want more ways to play it for the rewards I want.

I've hit exalted with all Kul Tiras reps, and I don't feel accomplished. I feel relieved that I don't have to touch a world quest again in this expansion.
    Last edited by Saberstrike; 2019-04-06 at 10:25 AM.

Wow has been like this since TBC with daily quests idk what you are remembering or thinking of.
    Most of the factions in TBC required you to chain run dungeons to gain rep in them. WOTLK and Cata had ways to farm rep outside of dailies by equipping specific tabards and farming dungeons. This forced time gating began in MOP.

Yes, i hate the daily gating too. Why can't there be reputations where you simply grind the hell out of the game for some rewards.
    @Teippi
    That's not true: forced time gating was a thing that was already introduced in TBC on Sunwell Isle. In Wrath, you also were gated on the Argent Tournament and in Cata you couldn't get reputation for Firelands outside of doing the dailies every day.

The only thing that's true is that in MoP; except for the Klaxxi it was ultrahard to increase the reputations there outside of daily-content. Later, The Dinosaur-isle and Timeless Isle were introduced as a way to grind for things.

That grind works shows Timeless Isle: you could do the Rare-NPCs and be done with it on the day, or you could simply grind the hell out there for some rewards. You simply couldn't have enough Timeless Coins. And i really hope that 8.2 give us something like these back; a way to grind simply as much as you want for some rewards.

Guys, what are you all talking about.

You can easily grind reputation all day long if you want to, there is an option: island expeditions.

You can buy those little shrines or whatever tokens for island dubloons that you can turn in for reputation. Technically infinite grind possibility. Nobody knows this?

Edit: It's even easier now as you're guaranteed one sack of dubloons at the end of every run.

time release rep grinds? you mean the thing we have had since tbc?
    idk if you remember but since tbc we have had dailies, and many of these reps LOCKED behind dailies.

"I miss the days I used to tell my wife I am going to need 72 hours, no interuptions and the coffee maker moved to my desk. I would take a few days, play for an ultra marathon and bang it out with a few friends doing the same. "

that is not healthy.
    pretending that that is healthy and should be encouraged is horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    Yes, i hate the daily gating too. Why can't there be reputations where you simply grind the hell out of the game for some rewards.
    @Teippi
    That's not true: forced time gating was a thing that was already introduced in TBC on Sunwell Isle. In Wrath, you also were gated on the Argent Tournament and in Cata you couldn't get reputation for Firelands outside of doing the dailies every day.

The only thing that's true is that in MoP; except for the Klaxxi it was ultrahard to increase the reputations there outside of daily-content. Later, The Dinosaur-isle and Timeless Isle were introduced as a way to grind for things.

That grind works shows Timeless Isle: you could do the Rare-NPCs and be done with it on the day, or you could simply grind the hell out there for some rewards. You simply couldn't have enough Timeless Coins. And i really hope that 8.2 give us something like these back; a way to grind simply as much as you want for some rewards.
    timed rep gating has been since the very start of tbc, many of the reps were locked to dailies like netherwing.
    same with wotlk, ALOT of the reps were gated, argent, oracles, sons of hodir, frenzyheart, kaluk and many others all time gated with no tabard.
    so on so forth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Most Vanilla reps could (potentially, but not realistically) be grinded in one sitting; Remember MC / AQ trash runs? Argent Dawn / Thorium Brotherhood / Timbermaw Hold / Cenarion Circle were also largely based on how much grinding you're able to do at any one time. You were not artificially gated. You were gated by how much you were willing or able to play, or how much gold you were willing to invest into turn in drops.

Same for BC / WotlK reps. If you really wanted cenarion expedition you could go and grind steamvaults for the drops on the turn in rep item, or just buy them from the auction house. WOTLK reps with the exception of argent tournament / tuskarr / sons of hodir were, too, attainable by just running dungeons & raids. You could get to exalted with near-everything up to Ashen Verdict without ever touching a daily quest.

This is what people want, choices and agency. I don't want to HAVE TO do the WQs and nothing else. Give me dungeon rep drops, give me PvP tokens that 'honor the kul tiran factions by killing horde', give me some mobs I can grind to slowly but surely get it up at my own pace, and not at the pace the game thinks it should be.

I want to play the game, but I simply want more ways to play it for the rewards I want.

I've hit exalted with all Kul Tiras reps, and I don't feel accomplished. I feel relieved that I don't have to touch a world quest again in this expansion.
    Tell me, how did you grind oracle/frenzyheart rep?
    tell me how you could rush through netherwind rep? yes there was eggs, but those were rare, and you can still do that today by doing islands for the rep tokens, both dropped and bought.

and nah, havignj the "ok now go play for 2 days straight to get this rep up" was not fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teippi View Post
    Most of the factions in TBC required you to chain run dungeons to gain rep in them. WOTLK and Cata had ways to farm rep outside of dailies by equipping specific tabards and farming dungeons. This forced time gating began in MOP.
    nah, not every wotlk rep had a tabard, sons of hodir, freznyheart, kaluk, oracles, and the argent had no tabard.

- - - Updated - - -

i was exalted with everything 1 month after launch, and i missed a week cause i moved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Doesn't work so well when the game is so boring you unsubscribe / stop playing / raid log / just can't take the challenge-less monotony any more after 1 month.
    Wel i was able to get all to exalted in a month, and i didnt even know about contracts, coulda cut a week off... and getting rep is much easier now, with the 50% bonus events, 10% from darkmoon, new contracts, more quests, invasions which give TONS of rep.

Still don't get it why they removed rep rewards from dungeons...

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    nah, not every wotlk rep had a tabard, sons of hodir, freznyheart, kaluk, oracles, and the argent had no tabard.
    Actually the Argent Crusade had a tabard that could be used for rep farming and as for sons of hodir you could still grind their rep easily by buying rep badges for emblems.

5+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard needs to balance the value of time vs the value of skill while also not leaving the casuals behind, who have nothing of both, but they pay equally as much with their subscription.

That's why every little shit is gated, once per day or once per week only, so you can't just power grind through it. If you could, then the value of time would be worth too much compared to the value of skill. And the casuals would completely be left behind.

It's also about the PvE players who would run away once they don't get fed new content, like a little fat kid who points with his little fat fingers at his chocolate smudged mouth demanding more chocolate. The conclusion is that they need to slow down the content consumption rate.

It's pathetic how NPCs desperately ask you for something, you bring them that thing, and you could bring them more... but no, their answer is "We desperately need these things, but we can't accept another delivery until next week". Why not? "Uh... we don't know, it's just like that for no reason." LOL!

Probably because people who can't control themselves like OP who were neglecting IRL duties for these "several day long grind sessions" and Blizzard had to discourage such behavior, as felplague said it's extremely unhealthy behavior
    Probably not... you seriously believe that Blizzard is supposed to care when someone is "neglecting IRL duties"?!? Even if that was the case that would be the most stupid approach to that, since you can nolife other more important stuff in WoW lol

IIRC their official reasoning is something like they don't want players feel forced to do dungeons, which really just means that they want to "control" your rep gains better by time gating it, which means that they don't want you to finish the rep grind too early. If anything this current system is encouraging players to stay subscribed for a longer time and to login more often, which again sorta defeats your theory.

aka hand holding people that can't put down a video game after playing it for 36 hours straight lol. Hell they even put up a thing on the loading screen "all things should be taken into moderation, even world of warcraft!"

And what was the panda's mantra in mop? "Slow down!"
    How many hints you need? Of course Blizzard doesn't want people sitting and playing their game for countless hours at a time. One, thats just bad PR when you see "johnny boy died playing WoW!" headlines, and two, if players finish everything there is to do within the span of a week or so, then they turn and cry that there's nothing to do for the next 3-6 months until the next patch comes out, that is an issue from a development stand point and somethign that happened (happens) on the regular.
    Your theory doesn't make any sense when you consider that Blizzard lets you do arenas and m+ 24/7 (the main content of the game you know, which people actually no-life to)...

And taking a loading screen tip as "evidence" that Blizzard cares about that is just beyond riddiculous.

The game is an mmorpg that is subscription based, of course it's going to encourage the 'take your time and play each day instead of gorging in a couple days/hours' model. And the current model of the game supports my theory, not defeating it lul
    You've just contradicted yourself.

Honestly, your comments feel like you're trying hard to bait.