Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaniAndras252 View Post
    China actually has more recently, given that they usually set a time and date for their "scientific pushes" and meet them, chances are it'll happen. They want to be harvesting asteroids and other floating debris for the ore/minerals that reside in them. Which would be beneficial in that it supplies a large amount of resources if it can be achieved that way. They've already set a time they want to achieve this by (or push it along) and that is by 2030.
    How will u be truckin all that ore home?...on USCSS Nostromo?

Can I have your stuff after you leave?

If I ever leave the earth - it will be self ex-planetary.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    People have been saying that for a while and it has never came true, now before someone accuses me, I know we need change....

10+ Year Old Account
    The joys of human greed and naivete. Better to just put down the obese dog you overfed and mistreated than to help it recover, right? Even if we weren't technologically miles away from having any hope of mass-colonizing other planets, we'd just find a way to ruin those as well.

No, the changes that need to happen are of a completely different nature, otherwise we're just going to repeat the same mistakes over and over until we become extinct.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    The joys of human greed and naivete. Better to just put down the obese dog you overfed and mistreated than to help it recover, right? Even if we weren't technologically miles away from having any hope of mass-colonizing other planets, we'd just find a way to ruin those as well.

No, the changes that need to happen are of a completely different nature, otherwise we're just going to repeat the same mistakes over and over until we become extinct.
    How do u "ruin" dead planets?..

What, so we can ruin the next planet? I'd say let's focus on protecting & fixing the first one.
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    According to Alexandrea ocasio-cortez the world will end in 12 years. Its clearly a lost cause. We should focus on leaving the planet behind. A generational space ship to get us to another habitable planet.
    Why are you angry at AOC for quoting a UN study? I don't get it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    People have been saying that for a while and it has never came true, now before someone accuses me, I know we need change....
    It's not that this shit hasn't happened (it has), it's that it's happening in places you don't care about.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    According to Alexandrea ocasio-cortez the world will end in 12 years. Its clearly a lost cause. We should focus on leaving the planet behind. A generational space ship to get us to another habitable planet.
    Why should should we listen to some random ass dude?....I have never ever heard of this dude in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    If we literally kill this planet that has sustained us and all other life upon it then we're a disease and we deserve to die with it.
    Earth, and life, will go on even without humans. Whatever we can do is still small compared to some of the past extinction events that killed most of the life.

It only takes one breedable population of rats and few plants to survive and the world will be filled with life adapted to thrive in the conditions soon after.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    Why should should we listen to some random ass dude?....I have never ever heard of this dude in my life.
    She is the most vocal far-left nutjob in USA politics right now.

And some people actually believe her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Why are you angry at AOC for quoting a UN study? I don't get it?

- - - Updated - - -

It's not that this shit hasn't happened (it has), it's that it's happening in places you don't care about.
    Umm no? According to these people the human race should have been wiped out because countless times they have predicted DOOM and it never came to be. Not saying the world doesn't need change but the fact of the matter ever about every decade or so someone comes along predicting DOOM in the next decade and we're still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Exuberance View Post
    What, so we can ruin the next planet? I'd say let's focus on protecting & fixing the first one.
    Nah there are like 10 extinction level events that we can comprehend and we need to diversify to continue the human species. I'd personally rather just become or hand the torch off to ai because they are more equipped to deal with it.

Humans are lucky but not special. Well we're special but for the wrong reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Umm no? According to these people the human race should have been wiped out because countless times they have predicted DOOM and it never came to be. Not saying the world doesn't need change but the fact of the matter ever about every decade or so someone comes along predicting DOOM in the next decade and we're still here.
    We're just lucky and should do what needs to protect ourselves rather than continuing to rely on that luck. Researchers are creating solar sails that can carry asteroid off course for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Earth, and life, will go on even without humans. Whatever we can do is still small compared to some of the past extinction events that killed most of the life.

It only takes one breedable population of rats and few plants to survive and the world will be filled with life adapted to thrive in the conditions soon after.

- - - Updated - - -

She is the most vocal far-left nutjob in USA politics right now.

And some people actually believe her.
    The thing is we can protect the earth better than those species we just choose not to for some reason.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-04-08 at 02:23 AM.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    Wrong. Less is better. We should focus on contracting civilization to achieve ecological balance with what we have. We need to be symbiotic with our planet, not parasitic. The Matrix kind of got it right with how we behave like viruses.

Trying to transform any other planet in the universe to fit our needs would be infinitely more difficult than simply repairing our own. 99.99999% of the work has already been done for us on Earth.
    The problem is we can't stay here forever there are things like gamma ray burst than can destroy a planet in the blink of an eye. We could all die in any second honestly those things can go on for light years. If they hit the sun or earth we're are fucked. I'm not sure about the moon though haven't looked that scenario up honestly. The earths core can heat up the planet for a while but not forever. Life in our universe is insanely luck oriented based on what we know.

A reversal of the poles can set us back a couple of years or decades as well. Humans are in a brutal, destructive, and dangerous phase as well.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2019-04-08 at 02:24 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Wrong. Less is better. We should focus on contracting civilization to achieve ecological balance with what we have. We need to be symbiotic with our planet, not parasitic. The Matrix kind of got it right with how we behave like viruses.

Trying to transform any other planet in the universe to fit our needs would be infinitely more difficult than simply repairing our own. 99.99999% of the work has already been done for us on Earth.
    That's a terrible philosophy based on shrinking the size of civilization. Successful countries expand over time, failing ones shrink. So if any country adopted your philosophy they would simply be de-selecting themselves while growing countries prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    That's a terrible philosophy based on shrinking the size of civilization. Successful countries expand over time, failing ones shrink. So if any country adopted your philosophy they would simply be de-selecting themselves while growing countries prosper.
    Dude we're headed for an era of automation and ai. I think we're gonna need to shrink the population to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think we should focus on not making this planet uninhabitable for humans as that is a far more achievable goal. Earth will go on, just as it did after numerous species have gone extinct.

Also focusing on a spaceship is a lost ass cause as you know that spaceship would simply be filled with the most wealthy and politicians, leaving 99.9999999% of the rest of the planet behind.

In my opinion humanity is redeemable, we have very slowly over time become slightly less warlike and more benevolent but overall we at current are a species driven by greed, narcissim and destruction. If things are going to get bad during our lifetime (as even conservative models predict) then perhaps it is for the best.

- - - Updated - - -

At least the last 2000 years.
    I was thinking that this is an idea that really only works in books and movies, but letting those folks leave is mighty tempting!

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    I was thinking that this is an idea that really only works in books and movies, but letting those folks leave is mighty tempting!
    Yeah it would definitely further humanity's cause if we shipped off a sizable percentage of the sociopaths.

Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    Dude we're headed for an era of automation and ai. I think we're gonna need to shrink the population to survive.
    Quite the opposite. Automation provides more resources with less overhead, and increasing technology is making our use of resources ever more efficient. It's only a matter of time before we have an efficient source of alternative energy. The only real debate is how many people need to be ground under the heels of "progressive" ecological philosophies which make things like heat and transportation and food too expensive for the poor. The rich don't care about paying an extra few hundred bucks a month on essentials.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Society has been built on stupid rules and ideals. That's entirely what I'm talking about. People think they need a bigger house because their neighbor has a big house. Then, they see that a bigger house implies status, so they build an even bigger house. Then, they need to get bigger and faster and louder cars to feel more important. It's all complete bullshit.

Humanity is doomed no matter where we try to go because of human nature. If we leave Earth, it will only be to find another planet to completely fuck up.

- - - Updated - - -

We call them Democrats around here.
    We call them Republicans around here

Funny how it's always a Republican starting the partisan-bashing...

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Quite the opposite. Automation provides more resources with less overhead, and increasing technology is making our use of resources ever more efficient. It's only a matter of time before we have an efficient source of alternative energy. The only real debate is how many people need to be ground under the heels of "progressive" ecological philosophies which make things like heat and transportation and food too expensive for the poor. The rich don't care about paying an extra few hundred bucks a month on essentials.
    Don't most progressive push social democracy... I'm pretty sure the left doesn't have a problem with sharing resources.