View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    You could vote remain for racist reasons.
    Yes. Apart from you, I don't think anyone was making the connection that "Some Leave voters are racists" means "No remain voters are racist".
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yes. Apart from you, I don't think anyone was making the connection that "Some Leave voters are racists" means "No remain voters are racist".
    I'm not sure i see how people are making connection that "there were a lot more racists on one side then the other" i guess, so that was just counter-example to "guarantee" that made racists and exploiters into two completely separate groups.

Is that perception appears just because racists on Leave side were more outspoken? Or is there some hard data behind it? What's the proxy racism measure?
    Last edited by Shalcker; 2019-04-07 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure i see how people are making connection that "there were a lot more racists on one side then the other" i guess, so that was just counter-example to "guarantee" that made racists and exploiters into two completely separate groups.

Is that perception appears just because racists on Leave side were more outspoken? Or is there some hard data behind it? What's the proxy racism measure?
    Shackler, you don't quite seem to grasp none of us take you seriously and aren't going to provide you with a serious answer.

Perhaps you'd have more luck making a quota on Reddit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by felshwelsh View Post
    Depends how you define it.
    I'm sure, but given that I'm neither interested in stupid semantic arguments nor moving goalposts I will politely abstain.

Cameron's exact title is immaterial to his mishandling of both Scottish Independence and Brexit; harping on the former demonstrates no argument of substance regarding the latter.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a discussion about the PM's title.
    No. There was a discussion about the Premier's role. You being unable to tell the difference is a you problem.

And that you can't seem to grasp that I'm not arguing what Cameron's title is but that is exact title is irrelevant is, again, a you problem.

That cuts both ways. There's a lot of middle/upper-class people that voted Remain that wanted migration so they could exploit foreign workers to get cheap goods. Those people are arguably worse than the Brexiteer isolationists.

I'm in favour of immigration personally, but not just as a way to exploit people to produce cheap goods.
    I have yet to meet someone who wants more immigration. Anywhere on this planet. The most I see is people tolerating immigration and making the best of it. But want?

That's you talking bullshit.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I have yet to meet someone who wants more immigration. Anywhere on this planet. The most I see is people tolerating immigration and making the best of it. But want?

Nah, I want more immigration.

Not for cheap labour though. If I wanted low paid uneducated workers I'd be looking at the Midlands rather than Poland.

Btw Dribs...

https://www.businessinsider.de/price...19-4?r=US&IR=T

The price of Brexit has been £66 billion so far, plus an impending recession — and it hasn't even started yet
    Cha-chink! Cashing in, yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Nah, I want more immigration.

Not for cheap labour though. If I wanted low paid uneducated workers I'd be looking at the Midlands rather than Poland.
    Why do you want more immigration?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you want more immigration?
    Similar reason to free movement being one of the core pillars of the EU. I believe people as a whole are generally better off when their cultures and skillsets are transmissible.

I think the inidividuals he means are things like construction company owners, for whom the prospect of employing 40 legit workers and 50 EAster nEuropean ones "under the table" is more attractive than paying 90 legit workers.

i.e. they exist but there's probably about 50 of them in the entire UK in the position to make serious dollar from cheap immigration ;p
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Again though, there is no racist motivation in the exploitation of workers. They'd be more than happy to exploit British workers if there were any willing to be exploited.
    Well, for the most part we practice classism rather than racism; but you're right

Shackler, you don't quite seem to grasp none of us take you seriously and aren't going to provide you with a serious answer.

Perhaps you'd have more luck making a quota on Reddit.
    You weren't making that comment seriously then, clearly, as you're unwilling to defend it.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends how you define it. Leave racism is pretty obvious. Remain racism is not obvious even to the people who hold those views. It is the "where will the baristas come from" crowd who generally think they are actually socially progressive.
    As far as i see Isolationism/Exploitation are on different axis then Racism/Equality.

You could probably make a square like:
    Racist-Isolationist - Keep those foreigners out, we can do everything better ourselves!
    Racist-Exploitator - Get those foreigners in, deny them all rights and privileges, and keep their salary down!
    Equality-Isolationist - People should work on making their own country better rather then seeking better spot for themselves in the world by uprooting themselves.
    Equality-Exploitator - Everyone should be given opportunity to excel anywhere they want - so got to suck all talent out of the world to concentrate it in places which already have advantage to keep that advantage permanent.

Similar reason to free movement being one of the core pillars of the EU. I believe people as a whole are generally better off when their cultures and skillsets are transmissible.
    Okay, you're supporting the idea of open borders. I get that. But you sounded like you'd want to import people at any cost.

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as i see Isolationism/Exploitation are on different axis then Racism/Equality.

You could probably make a square like:
    Racist-Isolationist - Keep those foreigners out, we can do everything better ourselves!
    Racist-Exploitator - Get those foreigners in, deny them all rights and privileges, and keep their salary down!
    Equality-Isolationist - People should work on making their own country better rather then seeking better spot for themselves in the world by uprooting themselves.
    Equality-Exploitator - Everyone should be given opportunity to excel anywhere they want - so got to suck all talent out of the world to concentrate it in places which already have advantage to keep that advantage permanent.
    What about Isolationist Exploitator?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

7+ Year Old Account
    Btw Dribs...

https://www.businessinsider.de/price...19-4?r=US&IR=T

Cha-chink! Cashing in, yet?
    Disappointed in you Slanty, once upon a time you were so on the ball, old age or laziness catching up with you?

That report was plagiarised from the PMI data released by IHS Market which I dealt with in detail 10 pages back. If anything it is an argument for many other nations to leave the EU whilst at the same time clearly showing how British membership of the EU has been damaging economically to the UK.

Compare the current UK PMI figures that your article mentions with those of Germany, what do you see? Prepare yourself for the worst German figures in almost 10 years. And if the French could take a weekend off from the rioting at their EU influenced government their figures are not much better either.

The economic outlook for the UK maybe neutral, the EU is already, in the economies that matter, negative.

If only we had left on March 29th and the EU stopped continually dragging us down...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Do we have a name for a type of trolling whereby you will engage with anyone about any non sequitur providing that it deflects from the topic at hand?

Because if we don't then I'm calling it Shalckering from henceforth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Do we have a name for a type of trolling whereby you will engage with anyone about any non sequitur providing that it deflects from the topic at hand?

Because if we don't then I'm calling it Shalckering from henceforth.
    I find it almost mandatory to incorporate the word turnip in describing his type of trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    You mean something like "Keep those foreigners out and exploit them in place"? Like traditional British imperialism?

I think you need actual colonies for that... modern outsourcing doesn't seem to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Macron's plan actually includes a solution in a directive to force equal pay for EU immigrants with the locals in each member state. As far as illegal employment is concerned, that is up to the individual states to solve (by having massive fines).
    We have a minimum wage in the UK, hiring foreigners is no cheaper than hiring the locals providing you are playing by the rules (eg not dealing with gang masters who will bus out you out 20 eastern European slaves working for 50p an hour).

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I find it almost mandatory to incorporate the word turnip in describing his type of trolling.
    ”Turniping" then?

"To engage in relatively good faith with any argument in order to deflect from the subject at hand"?