Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Metzindown View Post
    Just wanted to see if a thought experiment by some remote viewers just happened to float by me and I picked up on it.
    You what?

How crazy do you need to be to even consider that a possibility?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    You what?

How crazy do you need to be to even consider that a possibility?
    It's one of those strange things where he could possibly actually just be crazy and chasing a dream. Which is a hell of a lot more scary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a dream that my sister wanted to touch my pp and when I woke up she didn't deny my advances now 3 years later we are happily married with 2 disfigured children so OP it could really mean something!

Never change, Gen-OT. Never change.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Jungian psychology is all about dream interpretation, however it mostly has to do with internal psychological figures of the psyche. And very rarely are the dreams "big dreams" or what Jung saw as coming from the collective unconscious.

I don't know if the OP was posting a real dream or a stalking fantasy but I figured I'd interpret it as best I could using Jungian terminology.
    I don't mean to imply dreams can't tell you something about yourself, I'm convinced they can at times. Was referring to everyone here believing dreams can tell you something new about the outside world. It's a very far leap from thinking dreams reveal something internal, to thinking they reveal something external.

If you think they reveal something internal, all you're saying is that your brain can bring subconscious thoughts/feelings into your dreams, that they're not always entirely random.

If you think they reveal something external, however, you're saying that while you are asleep and all your senses are confined to your bedroom, your brain somehow telepathically gather information about things and people far away and for some reason only relay this information to your conscious self through vague dreams. A lot of people are even claiming your brain telepathically gathers information from the future while you sleep. Literal superpower that would change our understanding of the universe.

Some dreams, very rarely, come from the collective unconscious. Those can show you events in the real world, or show you future (or past) events.

But they come from the inside out, not from the outside in.
    So a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of thing?

Dreams don't mean anything, it's your brain infodumping at the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some dreams, very rarely, come from the collective unconscious. Those can show you events in the real world, or show you future (or past) events.

But they come from the inside out, not from the outside in.
    Collective unconscious.. So telepathy? Sounds like a bold claim Connal

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Dreams don't mean anything, it's your brain infodumping at the end of the day.
    Which means you can do some data mining to find something potentially meaningful.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, not telepathy. That assumes you are receiving messages from an external transmission of thought.
    How could you tap into knowledge from other consciousness' while asleep without telepathy?

You’re not tapping anything; your already part of it; it’s just deeper than your unconscious mind itself.
    What's deeper than unconscious?

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vivid dreams are always fun. I had one once when I was much younger that I had a kid with someone from my school. I remember being awake the next day and wondering where the kid was, it felt that real.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

The collective unconscious.

Ego -> Personal Unconscious ( Animus/Anima -> Shadow) -> Collective Unconscious(Self); this is the measure in Jungian Psychology.
    The collective unconscious is just the unconscious that is mirrored among people. I don't think of it as deeper, just the elements of unconscious that people happen to share.

I’m using the Jungian understanding. It has been modified since then, I just think the new understanding is incorrect.
    But what would be fundamentally different about a collective unconscious?

15+ Year Old Account
    You’re not tapping anything; your already part of it; it’s just deeper than your unconscious mind itself.
    Ah, right, had to Google, I didn't know that was a term from Jung. I thought you meant collective as in connected with other people, a very different but pretty common belief.

I love lucid dreaming lets go OP here's my take...

Dream of a chick = I want the life that love gives
    Address = I have personal information of her that is important to my beliefs on a relationship
    I'm describing a chick I would want to be with = yeah we see where this is going
    I keep running into her = my brain is telling me this is a great fantasy
    We talk about cars but its ok cos im broke = This songclip is literally what you're dreaming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5rLz5AZBIA
    She gives me private items and information = I want to be in love with a woman so much she shares everything with me including her private life processes
    Describing it in depth = this is super important to me and i really want a relationship where we are at this level of deep sharing, as if we are one being
    Brain deciphered random information that you've come across into what you want the most as a dream
    Brain is doing as above

So I think describing your current love life and what you want from a love life would go a long way into this dream m8

You're not the only one, a chick really fucked me up in the 90's that I used to talk to in the 90's who lived in America who would told me she would do college in Australia and marry me, back when the internet was new. I would dream about the what ifs and a perfect life with her non stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Metzindown View Post
    Ok so I had another very vivid dream and need some help tracking down some answers. Back story is a little long on this but suffice it to say I have experience in this field. Here is what I got from the information sent my way and what I have discovered so far in my investigation.

3358 east hwy 336 post office box 206.

Belongs to a young girl (early 20's?) with blonde, shoulder length hair. She was wearing large sunglasses with the tint being faded slightly from bottom to top, with the top being darkest. It was mirror tint with a tint of rose gold. I can't recall what color the sides were, but I think it was a rose gold as well.

Kept running into her at Walmart in dream. She seemed very interested in me.

Don't know why she gave me her USPS key, but there was a conversation about cars and what we would like to drive. She liked BMW's, I thought they were over priced and over hyped. I also said that the monthly note would be outrageous, but she said she didn't care and would make it work if ever she could get one.

She also playfully added that her other option was to hook up with a rich guy and get him to buy the car for her, strongly hinting at me. I thought this was gold diggerish and It put me off at the moment as well as making me weary of her true intentions.

Address (3358) could be mis-ordered.

The location of the USPS looked very rural. Lots of trees. I was driving West to get to the location from where I was in the dream, but would have to take a separate intersecting road south and then double back east on highway 336 to get to the location. I was getting bird's eye views of the area as well as seeing it from behind the steering wheel. I also saw where to go and how to get there from a navigation app. I don't know what app was being used.

The key itself came with a grey plastic piece, rectangular in shape with the address and box number printed on a white background (don't know if paper or plastic) which was affixed to the key chain. It also had her first hand name written on the key chain with a little question mark above and to the right of her name. Don't remember her name clearly but I want to say it began with "J". Maybe Josie? The key chain is of course, where I got the address from.

Interesting development: 3358 hwy 336 east in Texas shows a BMW dealership slightly south of the address, only one block away from the address. There is no USPS at this location and area is certainly not rural. Address for dealership is 1028 west fern Ave. Name of dealership is "Bert Ogden BMW".

Interesting development #2:
    At the time the photos were taken, there was a USPS truck in the parking lot of "Melhazt" music store, which is across the street from 3358 address.

Beginning to think the address is actually two different addresses. 3358 could be one while east hwy 336 could be another.

Any help would be awesome.
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Which means you can do some data mining to find something potentially meaningful.
    Usually I find it's "here's a thing my brain noticed during the day that I didn't pay a lot of attention to at the time".

I suppose you could get some value out of that. Typically there was a reason why I didn't pay it much mind at the time though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jung experienced and understood it differently than what is being used now.
    Ain't that the truth.. =D

Ok no seriously - yes, agreed.

Much like all sciences (and many things..), as time goes on - understanding evolves.

Keeping in mind - as we're discussing Jungian and Freudian terms such as ego/superego/id, anima/animus, self/shadowself, and collective unconscious - these are all terms in certain, specific, theories of psychology. The reality of these specific theories - being roughly 100 years old at this point - is that various parts of each theory have been proven/disproven to varying degrees. And, sometimes, with still heated debate.

My only purpose in pointing that out is to explain, I guess, that there is no definitive answer on "collective unconscious" and whether it "actually exists" in any description or understanding of it.

~~~

The Jungian idea of Collective Unconscious is a very "non-science" idea - dealing with the ephemeral, almost spiritual, and non-testable. His idea was that humans were born with this innate fund of knowledge that dealt with the commonalities of human experience. This one article I'm looking at right now describes it as,

"The collective unconscious is an universal datum meaning that every human being is endowed with this psychic archetype-layer since his/her birth. One can not acquire this strata by education or other conscious efforts because it is innate. We may also describe it as a universal library of human knowledge, or the sage in man, the very transcendental wisdom that guides mankind."
    (and I couldn't figure out how to say it easier or better...)

For Jung, our images in dreams related to symbols he termed "archetypes." These symbols represented the human-wide shared experiences. The Mother-child relationship was the "Mother" archetype, the father-child was "Father" archetype, the dark side of humans the "shadow" archeotype, The "Hero" archetype was a Jungian creation - which we hear a lot about these days in brainy discussions of superhero movies - and so on. Religious experiences were also, per Jung, governed by Archetypes and their symbolism.

So in a Jungian interpretation - the symbols in your dreams are from the "collective unconscious" - the symbols representing the archetype; the archetype coming from the collective. That innate knowledge of human experience in all of our unconscious, that would break through (in the dream) to try and guide us to balance in our life (putting this in very broad terms here).

Carl Jung himself wrote, "The collective unconscious - so far as we can say anything about it at all - appears to consist of mythological motifs or primordial images, for which reason the myths of all nations are its real exponents. In fact, the whole of mythology could be taken as a sort of projection of the collective unconscious... We can therefore study the collective unconscious in two ways, either in mythology or in the analysis of the individual." (From The Structure of the Psyche, CW 8, par. 325.)

~~

Its a big concept and most practicing professionals today don't touch it (Jungian theory as a whole) - unless they use it with any dream analysis (if they do /that/ at all). Most professionals don't believe much of the original Jungian or Freudian theory these days - unless they are in a professional niche. The only reason I know so much about it is I was lucky enough to have, as one of my professors, a woman who got her doctorate at the Jungian Institute in Zurich and she taught several entire speciality courses about Jung, the collective unconscious, and dream analysis. (We even got to watch Star Wars in class with her - that was interesting!)

So its why Connal you can get way more into the Jungian archetypes of my dream - but I don't tend to dive that deep with it. I believe in the relevancy of dream interpretation (with SOME dreams of course lol...) but only to a point - when it starts getting into the deep Jungian stuff (anima/animus, etc.) I don't necessarily know that I agree *as* much with its practical truth.

But I find the discussion endlessly fascinating.

And who knows, it might /just be/ the explanation as to why so many diverse cultural mythos have very similar symbology and other neat "coincidences." =D
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Yeah me too. I saw a dream that I was flying all over town. It was so vivid. So I went to up to the roof next day and now my legs are broken.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am an autodicate, and I tend to stay true to the founders and the people that understood them best... instead of getting the "evolved" versions which Jung warned would be corrupted by reason, and the spirit of the times/age. Or turned into New Age mambo jambo which goes way too far.

When I see some of the more "secularized" writing of psychology today, where things are dismissed because they do not fit a certain world view, I am glad I took Jung's advice on that. Ditto for the sometimes hmm... over the top... misunderstood new age interpretation of what he wrote.

I mostly focus on Jung, but also read, and respect Toni Wolff (though her writings mix with Jung, and she has few individual works) Marie-Louise von Franz, who I think understood Jung's work very well, and she worked with him for 30+ years. Edward F. Edinger, an American Jungian who also understood him well enough. But along with the Jungian psychologists, I also like Stephan A. Hoeller, Peter Kingsley and Joseph Campbell who were, IMO, experts in their respective fields and took up the mental of where Jung left off.

From my perspective the current field (of Psychology) is actually more Freudian, in that Sex (and Materialism) is still the biggest, from their perspective, drive of the libido. There is not enough attention to the transcendent need for meaning besides material/sexual needs.

I think that propensity to focus on the materialistic/sexual drive is too simplistic, and I think the push of "reason" and a corrupted sense of logic, is making it hard for people to see the bigger picture. To my mind, I know Jung was right... I am just not sure what it all means... or rather, I believe I know what it means, I just won't know for certain for awhile still.
    Well Science will forever be "secularized" I suppose. I agree with you that yes, without accepting the more spiritual aspects (using "spiritual" as a general term, can't think of a better one to describe the more ethereal, or ephemeral, aspects of Jungian theory) of Jungian theory then it does get "corrupted by reason" as you put it.

Whether that proves him more right, or wrong, in the long run - we just have to live long enough to find out =D.

But modern day, "current field" of psychology - deals more with trying to turn it into (good or bad) a "hard" science. So its about testing treatment effective theories - and those that prove efficacy are considered more valid than old "outdated" models that have not held up under the "hard" science of Hypothesis-testing. "Psychoanalysis", the Freudian way, is not only out of favor - but, at least in the US, not covered by insurance which translates to "not practiced much at all" - and, for most, is learned just as a "learning of the history of the field" and not at all as a "this is still relevant today." Most don't see any of it as relevant.

Its not about a shifting world view so much as a shift in testable theory. I don't see him as being dismissed because people don't agree with the more ephemeral aspects of his theories - but because those aren't testable and therefore are replaced by things that "are" testable. Good or bad - the nature of science.

And if psychology wants to be taken more seriously as a science - then it has to go with the "hard" science. Its not a case, IMO, that these things were dismissed because of differing opinions - they were dismissed because testable science proved otherwise (and what can't be proven isn't helpful). Hence why many Freudian theory aspects have been put into the genre of "historical" but not "current, empirically supported, theory."

Modern day "current" psychology lambasts the premises of Freudian theory - that yes - there is a need to address the more transcendent needs of consciousness and that it is NOT just about sex or materialism or any "simple" biological drive. That's the part of Freud that most modern day practitioners and researchers toss out on its head as only a reference of the time/culture in which Freud was operating in. That we are definitely more than the sum of a few of biological drives. (Unless your looking into human behavior on a more biological, and not consciousness or psychological, level. Obviously all our cells care about is reproducing.)

And while I haven't delved into most of those people you mentioned - I am familiar with Joseph Campbell and agreed - greatly enjoy his extensions of Jungian theory. Couldn't help but be taught about him in a class about Star Wars =D.

As for what it all means - or who got it right - well... eventually we'll all get those answers. This lifetime or otherwise.

But always endlessly interesting!
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.