Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    American House pricing seems absurd. In Australia I live like 15mins from a major City CBD in a 2 Bedroom apartment with a Housemate and pay around $750each a Month.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Because an entire generation isn't struggling with housing affordability? I'm sure we'd all love to live in the most in-demand cities but the reality is that demand drives up rental and property prices.

I shared a house for years in my early twenties, it was great fun. Lived off tuna and rice for 2 years to afford my own place on the suburban fringe because that's what I could afford and rented out the spare room. It was anything but easy but now I do get to have my own place for my own family close to the city.

There are many solutions to housing affordability. None of which need government intervention. Almost all of them involve a sacrifice or lifestyle trade-off.
    You just sound out of touch with changing reality for younger adults. Back in the day people could afford cheap rent, have roommates and pay their way through college. Guess what, that is changing.

In no way, shape or form are you going to convince me that quadrupled rent in a decade is normal or on par with inflation.

have property taxes gone up? if they did or do the landlord/property owner puts that increase onto you. I do. I have had 16 property taxes increases in 12 years. I used to rent houses for 500 a month. now I charge 1200. property taxes is the sole reason I have raised rent on renters. taxes are running me on average 8000 thousand a year. which means to even break even on that I have to charge you roughly 666 a month. now throw in insurance which is about 1200 a year so now you are renting for 766 just to break even. now throw in repairs. 150 a month is to be put back for repairs. now you are up to 916 dollars just to break even. you think anyone is into renting houses to break even? 300 a month profit on a house is about an average of what a renter makes. so now you are up to 1216 dollars. put who pays 1216 dollars? lets round it up to 1300 to make it easier to transfer money. so now you are up to 1300 a month rent. the raise is put onto you. I read you were from Portland so I checked it out for ya. you have had property tax increases in 2012, 2014, 2017, and 2018. you jumped from 18th state in property taxes to 5th. it says there is another proposal for another increase in 2020. property taxes fund education primarily, school renovations, updated technology. I am for it, but I don't see it or pay it. disabled veterans like myself are exempt from paying them only in the house you reside. so either pay low rent and stop providing a public education, or pay high rent and help provide for it. if you don't want your rent to increase anymore then vote in those who are against property tax increases. if you like paying higher rent than vote those in to keep raising it. its typically republicans who oppose property tax increases. democrats favor them. I hate both parties and since I don't pay property taxes in my state for being a veteran (saves me about 600 a month) and my renters cover the increases I don't really care about the issue much at all, so don't vote for either.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Because an entire generation isn't struggling with housing affordability? I'm sure we'd all love to live in the most in-demand cities but the reality is that demand drives up rental and property prices.

I shared a house for years in my early twenties, it was great fun. Lived off tuna and rice for 2 years to afford my own place on the suburban fringe because that's what I could afford and rented out the spare room. It was anything but easy but now I do get to have my own place for my own family close to the city.

There are many solutions to housing affordability. None of which need government intervention. Almost all of them involve a sacrifice or lifestyle trade-off.
    Things are different than when you were young. Nothing about what you described describes reality now.

Moreover, it is terrible news for people wanting families and life, particularly women since you know, we have a limited time to get that stuff underway.

Letting greed and avarice dictate these things is a poison to everything a traditional conservative aught be trying to protect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    have property taxes gone up? if they did or do the landlord/property owner puts that increase onto you. I do. I have had 16 property taxes increases in 12 years. I used to rent houses for 500 a month. now I charge 1200. property taxes is the sole reason I have raised rent on renters. taxes are running me on average 8000 thousand a year. which means to even break even on that I have to charge you roughly 666 a month. now throw in insurance which is about 1200 a year so now you are renting for 766 just to break even. now throw in repairs. 150 a month is to be put back for repairs. now you are up to 916 dollars just to break even. you think anyone is into renting houses to break even? 300 a month profit on a house is about an average of what a renter makes. so now you are up to 1216 dollars. put who pays 1216 dollars? lets round it up to 1300 to make it easier to transfer money. so now you are up to 1300 a month rent. the raise is put onto you. I read you were from Portland so I checked it out for ya. you have had property tax increases in 2012, 2014, 2017, and 2018. you jumped from 18th state in property taxes to 5th. it says there is another proposal for another increase in 2020. property taxes fund education primarily, school renovations, updated technology. I am for it, but I don't see it or pay it. disabled veterans like myself are exempt from paying them only in the house you reside. so either pay low rent and stop providing a public education, or pay high rent and help provide for it. if you don't want your rent to increase anymore then vote in those who are against property tax increases. if you like paying higher rent than vote those in to keep raising it. its typically republicans who oppose property tax increases. democrats favor them. I hate both parties and since I don't pay property taxes in my state for being a veteran (saves me about 600 a month) and my renters cover the increases I don't really care about the issue much at all, so don't vote for either.
    Property taxes are usually based on property values in most areas. Property tax increases aren't the core of the issue for that reason, they are more of a symptom.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Because most Republicans are brainwashed retards who spew talking points instead of considering what is in their best interest, their neighbors best interests, and their communities best interests. They instead think that if they are nice enough to rich people, the rich people will be nice and hire more, because that's how capitalism works somehow.

Even on issues where they should agree with Liberals, like saying "Fuck you" to Chinese billionaires buying up properties, they still somehow find a reason to disagree.
    The Lolbertarian disease is everywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Land will always get more expensive as speculators are allowed to drive up prices to increase the initial investment they made. The big difference is that wages are just not keeping up with the overall price of housing / renting inflation in the major areas of the nation. If people work from home or can work in either of the Dakotas or Wyoming the larger problem comes from not having jobs that people actually want to work in or having a local hub that makes them excited to move to literally the middle of nowhere. I have family that work as electricians, flooring installers, roofers and other higher skill manual labor and they are able to purchase a home. I feel bad for the people along the coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    You just sound out of touch with changing reality for younger adults. Back in the day people could afford cheap rent, have roommates and pay their way through college. Guess what, that is changing.

In no way, shape or form are you going to convince me that quadrupled rent in a decade is normal or on par with inflation.
    This isn't even going back far at all, I only purchased my first place in 2014 (was 28 at the time) and I worked two jobs. And now I'm watching younger siblings do the same, who are 21 and 23 respectively.

I'm not saying it's easy, and I'm not saying that rent or cost of living increases at the same rate as wages do (because it certainly doesn't) but there are ways to overcome paying higher rent. Living further out is a good place to start. A two-three hour commute every sucks ass, but it doesn't have to be permanent.

I just don't believe government intervention is the correct approach. I'd rather see fiscal policies implemented that help people save than have the government step in and implement ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Yeah, at this point I am considering leaving Seattle and either going back to Greece, looking elsewhere in the EU, or if I stay in the US, trying Texas or Florida out.
    That's the part of the story I didn't mention, and it's a big component of how I managed to survive: I moved the hell away from the city, not only because it was a hellhole and crime-ridden, it's always been super expensive since well before I was born. I've lived in... 9 states I think? Hard to keep track of them, but I always went where my job(s) took me and the housing was cheap, which even then was basically not New York or California or any major city. Currently in New England, and it's super expensive, but since I'm established now it's not completely terrible, especially since I live in the middle of nowhere. Eventually I want to move back down south, as the housing/apartments are so much cheaper in general.

Forgot the one thing the video really neglected to mention, and that's why housing prices are going up. The premise is big, evil, rich people are raising the prices to where no one can afford them, and that even in New York apartments are so expensive that 30-35% of them are vacant. Alright, why? From a money-making and business standpoint, that's make literally no sense. Vacancies are lost revenue potential, you'd drop your prices to fill up your units, happens all the time (similar to what hotels do). A more feasible explanation is something I mentioned in my previous post, where a city near where I live was caught overvaluing property values in order to rake in more tax revenue... keep in mind, rates are based upon property values and current market values, and the cities play a HUGE role in this. Similar pricing occurs when you start having the government make deals with foreign investors for properties, etc. The video says that cities and governments have no motivation to make money (the reason why they should control the rent values), and that's a completely false assumption based upon a fairy tale at best.

This isn't even going back far at all, I only purchased my first place in 2014 (was 28 at the time) and I worked two jobs. And now I'm watching younger siblings do the same, who are 21 and 23 respectively.

I'm not saying it's easy, and I'm not saying that rent or cost of living increases at the same rate as wages do (because it certainly doesn't) but there are ways to overcome paying higher rent. Living further out is a good place to start. A two-three hour commute every sucks ass, but it doesn't have to be permanent.

I just don't believe government intervention is the correct approach. I'd rather see fiscal policies implemented that help people save than have the government step in and implement ceilings
    That was pretty much the point of my original post, though I suppose it came off as semi-bashing Millenials? If anything, I don't bash the group in general, just those complaining that there's no way out and blaming <insert> anything... which drives me nuts. If the newer generation is expecting it to be easy and painless, it won't be, and even for previous generations it wasn't. I started enacting a plan to live on my own when I was 15, and I managed to get a house when I was 24, and I'll plainly say many of those years were extremely tough and painful. I was even working when I was 12 to start saving money, and that really wasn't something uncommon where I grew up to help ends meet, but that laid the groundwork for allowing me to succeed. I see a similar motivation and effort to put in work in some of the newer generations, but it appears to be less prevalent than the older generations.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Okay this doesn't really solve the problem. The problem isn't that people have no money, the problem is that the price of housing is being artificially increased by people purchasing houses who don't even LIVE IN THE COUNTRY, let alone in the area. This problem can't be penny-pinched away.
    I'm definitely in favour of restricting foreign ownership of property and land where it is reasonable to do so. Imposing taxes on foreign investment, restricting use and reducing capital gains tax concessions are good places to start.

I'm not trying to suggest that it's easy, I'm not trying to suggest that it's fair but it's definitely hyperbolic when people start saying that it's an impossibility or that an entire generation has no chance when it's not true

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am not ideologically against rent control, but rent control tends to create housing shortages. Real estate investment drops very sharply in places where rent control is enacted.

Basically, rent control tends to swap one problem for another.
    Well, you rather have less houses, than really just a few more that will cost you 100% more... to rent, reason why it is plain better to actually buy a house than to rent it.It is cheaper, and it is yours

I have lived in Portland for the last decade and have seen room rentals average $250/month in 2009 to $900 a month in 2019. 1 bedroom apartments now average $1500 a month, in 2009 you could rent a whole house for $750 a month.

Rent control in my opinion is not the solution. The problem is the commoditization of housing and the erosion of hotel/b&b laws (mostly due to the influence of airbnb) that further encourage commoditization of real estate. This problem is compounded by overseas investors investing in US real estate. A friend of mine was in Dubai on business a couple of years ago, and walked past a presentation for Japanese investors on real estate investment in Portland's Pearl District. A significant amount of foreign investment is coming from UAE and China/Japan, who use such strategies as "buy and hold" strategies (buying homes, and then not renting them out, leaving them vacant) in order to artificially inflate real estate valuation. These practices are also commonplace along much of British Columbia, Canada.

Obviously rents are cheaper in some parts of the country than others, unfortunately not everyone in the US can live in cheap areas and cheap areas tend to have fewer jobs (hence why they are so cheap).
    seems like obvious solution would be to buy your own place instead wasting money on renting it.

- - - Updated - - -

The video is a load of shit.

Rent is almost entirely an supply and demand issue.

Complains that most people can't afford a 2 bedroom apartment. Fucking share a house you dipshit if you can't afford it by yourself.

"Takes money out of some rich assholes pocket". If you don't like the rental prices then move cities to somewhere cheaper. No one is forcing you to stay in major cities where the demand is already high.

The entitlement of this smug fuck is breathtaking
    this is the obvious solution and something which i did when i was still in univeristy .

back then i had 2 room apartment so i lived in 1 room and rented 2nd room to 2 students - their rent alone was easily paying mortgage.

and when i started to work i still was sharing apartment with 1 person (decided that 2 would be too much crowd)

people act like entitled brats who belive that they should get a 5 bedroom 3 bathroom house for themselves as start just because they breath.

honestly would never rent apartment as adoult - seems irresponsible to me to waste all this money which could go towards investment that buying a house is.

poor people are poor because they make very bad choices with where they put their money in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    seems like obvious solution would be to buy your own place instead wasting money on renting it.

- - - Updated - - -

this is the obvious solution and something which i did when i was still in univeristy .

back then i had 2 room apartment so i lived in 1 room and rented 2nd room to 2 students - their rent alone was easily paying mortgage.

and when i started to work i still was sharing apartment with 1 person (decided that 2 would be too much crowd)

people act like entitled brats who belive that they should get a 5 bedroom 3 bathroom house for themselves as start just because they breath.

honestly would never rent apartment as adoult - seems irresponsible to me to waste all this money which could go towards investment that buying a house is.
    This is a troll, right?

On the slim chance it's not, do you really think anyone would rather rent than buy? Do you think people who are in the process of building their careers can afford to save enough money to buy while paying 1.5-2k/month in rent?

Do you realize that 1 bedroom apartments cost >$1m in many metropolitan areas?

- - - Updated - - -

The video is a load of shit.

Rent is almost entirely an supply and demand issue.

Complains that most people can't afford a 2 bedroom apartment. Fucking share a house you dipshit if you can't afford it by yourself.

"Takes money out of some rich assholes pocket". If you don't like the rental prices then move cities to somewhere cheaper. No one is forcing you to stay in major cities where the demand is already high.

The entitlement of this smug fuck is breathtaking
    'If you don't like it, move' isn't exactly a vote of confidence in the system. It's actually not a defense of the concept at all. The fact is that rent money goes into the pockets of middle men who are skimming the wealth from people who, in most cases, actually work. It's not a moral system.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    'If you don't like it, move' isn't exactly a vote of confidence in the system. It's actually not a defense of the concept at all. The fact is that rent money goes into the pockets of middle men who are skimming the wealth from people who, in most cases, actually work. It's not a moral system.
    A defense of what? Densely populated cities with skyrocketing rent because everyone wants to live in the same place and demand is driving rental prices up? I moved 1.5 hrs away from work for cheaper prices and then moved closer when I could afford to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    This is a troll, right?

On the slim chance it's not, do you really think anyone would rather rent than buy? Do you think people who are in the process of building their careers can afford to save enough money to buy while paying 1.5-2k/month in rent?

Do you realize that 1 bedroom apartments cost >$1m in many metropolitan areas?

- - - Updated - - -

so move out to suburbs .

sorry if you are poor then you simply need to stop pretending its other way.

if you make 3-4k a month stop pretending to live a life of person who is making 15-20k/month - you are either not in that place of your life or are plainly dumb if you live life you cannot afford.

same with poorer people - if they make 2k a month they shouldnt pretend they can afford life on level of 4-5k a month.

i understand that people make poor live choices - but they should pay the consequences themselves instead trying to steal from more succesfull people

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Home/Property owner...

What's Rent?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Yeah, it is insane in some markets. As I said early, my rent went from $1400 to $2300 in 3 years or so. And that's 30 minutes out of downtown Seattle, out in the Lynnwood suburbs. I'm across the Puget Sound from Seattle, on the Kitsap peninsula, and even out here there are apartments going up everywhere, and even out here buying my house was still over $400k. The only plus side is it's been a year and the house is already past $515k in value based on the increase in prices around here.