View Poll Results: Which class will be next in 9.0?

Voters
1201. This poll is closed
  • Tinker

609 50.71%
  • Necromancer

167 13.91%
  • Dark Ranger

180 14.99%
  • Bard

86 7.16%
  • Warden

24 2.00%
  • Spellbreaker

33 2.75%
  • Dragonsworn

61 5.08%
  • Timewalker

41 3.41%
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Yes aleria is a void elf and void elfs are the same as her except that Aleria is much more attuned to the void and better at it. Same as demon hunters are the same as Illidan except Illidan is leagues above them in skill and being one.
    Arthas is a death knight, he is also the lich king. He trained death knights while being the lich king. He even uses the same abilities as death knight uses, he just have other more powerful abilities too due to being the lich king.
    Almost any hero or named character is a class we currently play but leagues above in skill.

There is no reason why Sylvanas and Aleria can't teach their ranger knowledge to others while staying as the pinnacle.
    Mhh no? Alleria isnt purple.

I mean Void Elves lost their Belf racial, while I don't think Alleria lost her High Elf traits.

Illidan consumed Guldan Skull, DH not, so not really comparable.

Arthas maybe started as DK after getting frostmourne but in the end he fused with nerzhul and become the lich King so not really a mere dk.
    Last edited by Daikoku; 2019-04-08 at 03:46 PM.

Yeah you are right. It's Valeria. But now that I think about it. Aleria could teach a void based ranger. Void elfs have the racial that kinda works like sylvanas banshee form. Even if shadow and void might not be the same they could achieve the same thing. So they could have enough abilities to be different from hunters. The fact that they are going "extinct" gives an incentive to start training new ones. While tinkers have been around for a long time and just now they will start being playable. It just feels off to me.

I mean we have multiple melee classes but they aren't the same. We have multiple casters, they aren't the same. We only have one bow user. Which is why I think we need more bow users. I find the argument that they would be the same as hunters because of bow abilities but it's not tru for the other classes. Still not sure what weapons a tinker would use. They would need a mh/oh for sure.
    That's the thing with the melee though: Those are all very distinct and different.

Warriors: Pure master of weapons.
    Paladins: Utilizes the light to inflict Holy damage with their massive 2h weapon coupled with some spells, like Judgement.
    Rogues: Bleeds and poisons. Unique to this.
    Demon Hunters: Utilize demonic energy to move quickly and attack, with the ability to basically become a demon.
    Shaman: Use the elements to cast spells using their melee weapons.
    Death Knights: Use plagues, diseases and frost to cast spells with their weapons, as well as raise the dead and utilize dragons.
    Druid: They literally turn into a cat.
    Monks: They punch stuff to death.

The issue with Rangers is that they basically ARE Hunters, especially now with a melee Hunter spec. At least before, you could argue that a Ranger would be able to melee, but with the melee spec, the differences between Hunters and Rangers are almost non-existent. Dark Rangers are therefore Hunter + Shadow magic. The abilities are largely the same. The tactics and playstyles would largely be the same. Except there is a lot more purple and magic. If there was more to do with a bow than Hunters already did, then I would agree, there is a place. The problem is, there really isn't. With melee, you have tons of different types of weapons, so having a dude with a giant ass 2h weapon is going to feel and play different than a quick and nimble rogue with a pair of little daggers. But you are talking about two classes that use basically the same weapon doing basically the same thing.

It would be like adding a Lightborne Demon Hunter class where they did a lot of the same things the Demon Hunter could do but utilizing Holy/Light magic instead of Demonic/Fel magic. Even wanting another "glaive user", there really isn't a lot that can be added. Hell, there wasn't enough for a third spec, let alone another class. But that is the place Hunters find themselves in. In differentiating the Hunter specs enough to be truly unique, they realized they could only come up with 2 specs and opted to make the third a melee spec, rather than another ranged spec.

As far as Tinker weapons, I would say they should use guns. Blizzard could add in 1h guns (Pistols) and that would allow a tank to have a Pistol and a shield or something, and having a dart gun for a healer, and dps could use a pair of pistols or a 2h gun/crossbow (I would say no actual Bows though). This would give the feel of still using technology to attack, but would be a more physical ranged attacker, something we are lacking outside of a hunter. Virtually every other ranged attacker is magical. Have them wear Mail since we have only 2 mail wearers and 4 leather wearers and 3 Clothies and Platewearers. So another Mail would make sense. This gives some more use to those underutilized items the dev teams have created over the years.

New classes need to sell expansions. Death Knights against the Lich King. Monks against the Sha. Demon Hunters against the Legion.

The biggest threat Tinkers can help with is King Mechagon, who is not getting his own expansion. Tinkers suffer from not being special enough to counter a big threat which drives selling expansions. Unless they derive their tech from the Titans themselves, steam and explosives are booooooring.

Quote Originally Posted by Firann View Post
    Its not even hard to imagine a base tinker class tbh.

Tank: mech suit
    DPS: Turrets, nades and bots
    Healer: Utility grenades and gadgets for buffs

Alternatively all specs can be a mech suit with the above characteristics.
    I always sort of pictured that the mechsuit would be a CD like Ascendence but with different mechs based on role/spec. Either that or having that be the case for DPS and heals and having the Tank being similar to D. Va, in that they have the mechsuit, but when it is damaged to a certain point, it goes away and then the tank needs to utilize CDs to keep alive for the, say, 6-10 seconds for the Mech suit to be deployable again or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    New classes need to sell expansions. Death Knights against the Lich King. Monks against the Sha. Demon Hunters against the Legion.

The biggest threat Tinkers can help with is King Mechagon, who is not getting his own expansion. Tinkers suffer from not being special enough to counter a big threat which drives selling expansions. Unless they derive their tech from the Titans themselves, steam and explosives are booooooring.
    There is no saying that their tech cannot be Titan inspired. Or that they aren't coming out of the woodwork now with the Titan stuff becoming so much more to the forefront in that we need it to defeat the Void. That could be added as to why they should show up, looking for Titan tech to upgrade their existing tech. And they are accepted because they have an edge with their tech against the Void. We don't need to have a singular reasoning for something.

The only real class option where they could do something totally new and original is the Tinker class.

Besides that and the Bard, the only other option would be Necromancers, as they are sorta a real class, although they're also just a mix of undead DK's and warlocks and thus I don't think they should ever add them as a proper class.

The rest aren't unique classes, but really just titles and ranks. A Dark Ranger isn't a unique class (or a unique race), but a hunter unit serving Sylvanas. They'll never add these as a class, same thing with Spellbreakers, Warden etc

Depending on how they are implemented, they could possess an advantage or immunity (lorewise) against whatever threat of the expansion is that all other classes are (once again, lorewise) exposed to.
    This really applies to any class that they could feel like implementing.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    That's the thing with the melee though: Those are all very distinct and different.

Warriors: Pure master of weapons.
    Paladins: Utilizes the light to inflict Holy damage with their massive 2h weapon coupled with some spells, like Judgement.
    Rogues: Bleeds and poisons. Unique to this.
    Demon Hunters: Utilize demonic energy to move quickly and attack, with the ability to basically become a demon.
    Shaman: Use the elements to cast spells using their melee weapons.
    Death Knights: Use plagues, diseases and frost to cast spells with their weapons, as well as raise the dead and utilize dragons.
    Druid: They literally turn into a cat.
    Monks: They punch stuff to death.

The issue with Rangers is that they basically ARE Hunters, especially now with a melee Hunter spec. At least before, you could argue that a Ranger would be able to melee, but with the melee spec, the differences between Hunters and Rangers are almost non-existent. Dark Rangers are therefore Hunter + Shadow magic. The abilities are largely the same. The tactics and playstyles would largely be the same. Except there is a lot more purple and magic. If there was more to do with a bow than Hunters already did, then I would agree, there is a place. The problem is, there really isn't. With melee, you have tons of different types of weapons, so having a dude with a giant ass 2h weapon is going to feel and play different than a quick and nimble rogue with a pair of little daggers. But you are talking about two classes that use basically the same weapon doing basically the same thing.
    Not sure why you say rangers have the same abilities as a hunter by default. Especially if we combine it with dark and void there is plenty of different skills you can utilize. I see ranger more of a switching from melee to ranged or vice versa, kinda like stances which would make it unique from hunters already. My point with the melee is that they all work the similarly, the theme is what's different and their class resource and thus have a different class fantasy around it. Saying you can't make another bow class is the same as saying you can't make a new melee class, evidently we can even if they are very similar from a game mechanics stand point. Use a builder for class resource and then use spenders on various abilities. Warriors causes bleed and rogues have hard hitting abilities with sub. Biggest differences between classes are the theme and the class resource. Abilities that are tied to dark/void ranger would have a different theme from hunters. I just don't buy it that you can't make different bow abilities and the hunter have all the abilities that are possible.

As far as Tinker weapons, I would say they should use guns. Blizzard could add in 1h guns (Pistols) and that would allow a tank to have a Pistol and a shield or something, and having a dart gun for a healer, and dps could use a pair of pistols or a 2h gun/crossbow (I would say no actual Bows though). This would give the feel of still using technology to attack, but would be a more physical ranged attacker, something we are lacking outside of a hunter. Virtually every other ranged attacker is magical. Have them wear Mail since we have only 2 mail wearers and 4 leather wearers and 3 Clothies and Platewearers. So another Mail would make sense. This gives some more use to those underutilized items the dev teams have created over the years.
    Guess guns makes sense, although I would prefer if tank would be in a mech, kinda like metamorphosis but permanent since using a pistol in melee is just bonkers lol.
    I agree on the mail part, both of our classes should be mail.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes aleria is a void elf and void elfs are the same as her except that Aleria is much more attuned to the void and better at it. Same as demon hunters are the same as Illidan except Illidan is leagues above them in skill and being one.
    Arthas is a death knight, he is also the lich king. He trained death knights while being the lich king. He even uses the same abilities as death knight uses, he just have other more powerful abilities too due to being the lich king.
    Almost any hero or named character is a class we currently play but leagues above in skill.

There is no reason why Sylvanas and Aleria can't teach their ranger knowledge to others while staying as the pinnacle.
    Heroes are really a mix of our base classes.

For example Anduin is a Priest, however he wears plate and can wield a sword. You could argue that its a Cleric/Priest/Paladin hybrid.

Similarly Sylvanas is a ranger, however some of her powers are more akin to a shadow priest. You could argue thats what a Dark Ranger but thats not a playable class

As Daikoku said, while they do have our base classes as templates, they dont exactly follow the same restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Firann View Post
    Heroes are really a mix of our base classes.

For example Anduin is a Priest, however he wears plate and can wield a sword. You could argue that its a Cleric/Priest/Paladin hybrid.

Similarly Sylvanas is a ranger, however some of her powers are more akin to a shadow priest. You could argue thats what a Dark Ranger but thats not a playable class

As Daikoku said, while they do have our base classes as templates, they dont exactly follow the same restrictions.
    Yeah, never argued against that...in fact I actually mentioned they don't follow the restrictions we have. Doesn't stop them from being able to train others which won't reach the same pinnacle or hybrid/hero class. Case in point Illidan and Arthas.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Unless they're Junker Gnones, Mechagnomes,or whatever is supposedly happening to Gelbin in Mechagon right?
    Blizzard is not going to release a race that is immune to mind-altering effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Thagrynor View Post
    "Warriors have no narrative major enemy to fight, they would need to be added in madlibs style." "Rogues have no narrative major enemy to fight, they would need to be added in madlibs style." "Shaman have no major narrative enemy to fight, they would need to be added in madlibs style." See how stupid that argument is?

Tinkers don't have a narrative enemy. But guess what? Tinker is a class. Do Gnomes have an enemy? Do Goblins? Do Dwarves? Yeah .... stupid reasoning.

And there have been numerous ways to pull Tinkers into the expansion, and reasons to do so.
    Yes, Tinkers are a class. I didn't say they weren't.

Warriors, Rogues and Shamans are also good examples of madlibs classes. Nothing is wrong with that.

I'm just pointing out that people here are trying too hard trying to make a narrative reason for Tinkers to make sense in an expansion when I don't think they need to. Madlibs is okay.

'Void Magic doesn't work against Machines thus Tinkers' is too obviously shoehorned. Just say the geniuses are coming out of seclusion and aiding the Alliance and Horde and be done with it. No reason to give them some narrative reason to come out of the woodwork.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-04-08 at 04:38 PM.

2019: We can't have Necromancers; Unholy Death Knights already have Raise Dead and.... Dark Transformation?
    Considering that Demo received Meta due the absence of DH that comparison fails.
    DK's raising the dead and using diseases is pretty established at this point.

Aside from that, try to design Unholy without diseases or raising Undead minions, basically make an Unholy Spec without Unholy stuff.

Also, simply because it happened, doesn't mean it's good that it happened, DH is, aside from its spectral sight / eyebeam, a rather bland class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Blizzard is not going to release a race that is immune to mind-altering effects.
    Why not? Ofc they wouldn't be immune to fear in game or anything gameplaywise, but I see no problem lorewise.

10+ Year Old Account
    The entire race doesn't need to be immune, just certain members. Mekkatorque for example could come out of his rumored Mechagon recovery and be somehow immune to mind altering effects. This could be reflected in racial terms with Junker Gnomes as a race possibly having certain levels of resistance against spells that cause you to lose control of your character.

Bloodsail Admiral Grumpy Old Man's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    TBH I'd like both, but I don't think Bard is wide enough to have 2-3 specs, so what if Tinker was a class that had Bard as a spec? Instead of the typical "plays on a guitar/flute" kind of bard though, you'd have mechanical/electrical instruments? Or you were like the manager of a robotic band? Like setting up robots to play music to buff/debuff/etc people?
    Intriguing concept... but I doubt something like this would ever be done in WoW. Perhaps in another game...

Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    PS: Until we get a support role, we'll never truly get stuff like the above.
    I agree. Sadly it doesn't look the devs want support as a separated role. At least until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    YouTubers are a plague. Fuck 'em. All of them.

10+ Year Old Account

That's a possibility. Blackfuse was capable of repurposing Titan tech. Nothing stops another high level Tinker like Mekkatorque from doing the same.

That makes it possible that Tinkers are brought in to counter N'Zoth and his minions.

Quote Originally Posted by Daikoku View Post
    Just for the sake of class fantasy

Tank Suit/Form : GMOD Peacekeeper with Shield

DPS Suit/Form : Mekkatorque Mecha both Melee or ranged spec

Healer Suit/Form : Gazlowe Hots/War3 Tinker with healing bot / drones
    I like the Overwatch examples:

Tank: D. Va/ Reinhardt
    Heal: Ana/ Baptiste
    DPS: Torbjorn/ Junkrat
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    Why not? Ofc they wouldn't be immune to fear in game or anything gameplaywise, but I see no problem lorewise.
    If they're supposed to be immune to mind-altering effects in the lore then they should be immune to mind-altering effects in the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    The entire race doesn't need to be immune, just certain members. Mekkatorque for example could come out of his rumored Mechagon recovery and be somehow immune to mind altering effects. This could be reflected in racial terms with Junker Gnomes as a race possibly having certain levels of resistance against spells that cause you to lose control of your character.
    Then: one, the race wouldn't be immune to mind-altering effects; and two, that completely defeats the whole purpose, here.

7+ Year Old Account
    i would want necromancer, but i think it will be tinker, the hints are becoming massive at this point

Anyway, i would be ok with anything that is not related or exclusive to fucking elves again

If they're supposed to be immune to mind-altering effects in the lore then they should be immune to mind-altering effects in the game.

Then: one, the race wouldn't be immune to mind-altering effects; and two, that completely defeats the whole purpose, here.
    Eh. Gameplay > Lore.

The one race (Forsaken) and one class (Death Knight) that should be damaged by Holy magic still gets healed by it.

If a class is immune to mind-altering effects, it would be reflected through a racial talent that is balanced equally to other racials; so either a flat resistance or some active/passive ability on cooldown.