Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    When will "I'm not sure I believe in man-made climate change" be considered a conspiracy theory on par with flat eartherism? At this point, the number of scientists you believe must be lying or wrong, the amount of science you insist must be wrong or claim isn't in yet, is so great that it has surpassed fake moon landing conspiracies. It has even surpassed holocaust denial conspiracies. It is harder to objectively prove those things, there are fewer people who are able to personally attest to the validity of those things, than man-made climate change. You must believe our current science is so primitive and poorly understood - in all areas, mind you, because climate science is only an application of existing, known science - that a flat earth should seem positively logical.

And yet despite this, grown adults with the intellectual capacity to press the buttons to internet to this page, still fill every thread on anything vaguely climate related to the brim with exactly this nonsense.
    Last edited by Grapemask; 2019-04-08 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pillerina View Post
    Well, the last time temperature changed at the current rate 95% of all life on the planet went extinct. Granted, that time we started out at a warmer point, but that time it took about 100 000 years of volcanic eruptions that pretty much created Siberia. It doesn't matter if the evidence isn't 100% certain, the risk of not adhering to it is so absurdly high even a .1% chance of man impacting the climate would be enough to change our society around. The estimated cost of making us carbon neutral is around 3% of the gross world product about 10 years in a row. That is not a lot, compared to the potential costs.
    I really don't understand why more people don't consider this. If the theories are wrong, then the initiatives to protect the environment won't work but they won't further hurt us. If the theories are right, these initiatives could save a lot. While I understand that older individuals may be in a "not my problem" mentality, for younger people, this should be something to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    When will "I'm not sure I believe in man-made climate change" be considered a conspiracy theory on par with flat eartherism? At this point, the number of scientists you believe must be lying or wrong, the amount of science you insist must be wrong or claim isn't in yet, is so great that it has surpassed fake moon landing conspiracies. It has even surpassed holocaust denial conspiracies. It is harder to objectively prove those thingsn, there are fewer people who are able to personally attest to the validity of those things, than man-made climate change. You must believe our current science is so primitive and poorly understand - in all areas, mind you, because climate science is only an application of existing, known science - that a flat earth should seem positively logical.

And yet despite this, grown adults with the intellectual capacity to press the buttons to internet to this page, still fill every thread on anything vaguely climate related to the brim with exactly this nonsense.
    It is pretty much everywhere outside of the US afaik.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aresk View Post
    I really don't understand why more people don't consider this. If the theories are wrong, then the initiatives to protect the environment won't work but they won't further hurt us. If the theories are right, these initiatives could save a lot. While I understand that older individuals may be in a "not my problem" mentality, for younger people, this should be something to consider.
    If you read my other response that exact mentality is why our world is going to shit, and why a ton of people in the younger generation, especially among the more decently educated classes don't want to procreate, setting us up for idiocracy.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    "The Lofoten islands"

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    Yes, it would be unfortunate if there was no oil left when China and Russia start drilling them.
    you are not the brightest bulb in geography ?

Just so you know, Norway is not oil reliant since a bunch of time, their biggest success is to have achieved a very powerful economy based on it, but emancipated itself later on, on the contrary of countries like Venezuela or Saudi arabia which would be nothing without it,

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Nothing. While climate change is a reality, I'm not so convinced that man-made climate change is a reality.
    Time to educate yourself past grade school and get at least half a brain then.

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    Yes and no. Stop making assumptions or putting words in my mouth, that is a weak tactic. The only thing I am saying is that nothing is for certain, and that the question should be whether or not slowing down the process will "help" at all, and I am NOT saying that we shouldn’t care.
    I am not putting words in your mouth.... and nothing is for certain is a given. We go with best data and that data is what you are claiming to be untrue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except there is no evidence that they have risen out of the ordinary. That's the problem of only having data since the time you quote as the beginning of the change. It's hard to argue research when all research is shown to be wrong:

TL;DW all climate data used up to this point is tainted and wrong, thus should be disregarded.

Also:

TL;DW alarmists claims have been wrong time and time again and the projections of the untested models give predictions that are wholly unrealistic.

You know, perhaps you shouldn't use the research argument yourself if you're not ready to consider the other side of the argument.
    Did you just link two youtube videoes to try to disprove man-made climate change? Did you even watch them? I dare say they don't help your cause. Might want to find some credible sources to support your arguments instead of those videos, heh..
    Hi

Yet again my adoptive country proves it's the greatest on Earth. So happy I left the US for here.
    May 30th, 2019 - Trump admits Russia helped him get elected.

An elected Republican called for biblical law to be implemented and for all non-christians to be murdered. But it's sharia law we should be scared about right?

Republicans ran an actual Nazi for office in 2018 and he got nearly 1/3rd of the votes.

The way to know how much CO2 was in the atmosphere at a given timepoint in history is to take a sheet of ice, drill through it, do carbon-14 dating on the air bubbles found in that ice and measure amount of CO2 found in that bubble. Do you know what happens when the temperature is higher (and by your own admission that must mean higher CO2, too)? The ice melts and none of that is captured in the ice sheet. Thus, no data. We assume that we can interpolate between values if they are sufficiently close, but you have to admit that doing a 50k year interpolation is guesswork AT BEST. Look, I don't blame you for not questioning the science. If I wasn't a scientist, I probably wouldn't, too. But you have to be skeptical and challenge accepted world views if you wish to learn the truth. I don't claim I have the truth. But I know a hell lot more about this topic than almost all of those who claim they do know the truth.
    Did you try to come up with this exhalation by yourself? I see why you would think that (hot = melted ice),but you are simply wrong in this post. Makes your last sentence funny after reading this skeptic wannabe.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    There’s no question about man having an impact on climate change. None what so ever!
    Global temperatures were rising in past centuries but they were stable rises, then BAM! Industrial revolution and human population exploded, with it the global temperature increased at alarming speeds.

If you actually research it then it shouldn’t be anything to discuss.
    You don’t believe it? Ok, why? Use that to further educate yourself.
    They don’t have to be related. This is a logical fallacy. Just because A implies B does not mean the reverse is true.

Not saying there is no man made climate change, merely pointing out a bad argument.

Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post
    They don’t have to be related. This is a logical fallacy. Just because A implies B does not mean the reverse is true.

Not saying there is no man made climate change, merely pointing out a bad argument.
    Except for the fact that we can model the climate with and without our emissions, and you care to take a guess at what models more closely resemble reality?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D3thray View Post

Except it's not a correlation alone.

They have identified the mechanism by which greenhouse gases contribute to warming, and how of a change should be seen for a given increase in PPM in the atmosphere, and they can model those effects along with all other potential contributions to warming. The only factor that can explain current warming trends is anthropogenic emissions, and they explain all of it, and we know how they cause it.

We know humans are emitting GHGs through their industry; we can get that data at the source of emission.
    We know those GHGs have a warming effect.
    We know the actual observed warming.
    We know what other factors could contribute to warming, and none are increasing in any appreciable amount.
    The anthropogenic emissions should create the amount of warming that is observed, on the same scale that it is observed.

The causative relationship here has been established. It was established 30 years ago. This isn't news, at all. They don't have to be related, but we know that they are directly, causally related, in this particular instance. Pretending otherwise is climate change denial.

Wise of them to fuck up their economy to let China pollute as much as they want

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    Wise of them to fuck up their economy to let China pollute as much as they want
    they EXPORT oil, they are not in dire need of said reserves for their own economy. Norway is fucking rich.

The government should be promoting renewable energy and helping with the cost for those who want to implement it. It would make everyone lives easier and cheaper in general.

*shrugs*
    They want to preserve the islands' integrity, then I've no problem with that.

It's been getting fucking hotter and more humid every year where I am...

"vaske oljen"

I don't see the point in doing anything about Climate control until Asia, especially China and India get on the bandwagon. Right now countries that are doing something about Climate change are only shooting themselves in the foot. They make themselves weaker while China and India get stronger.

Seriously though, such a large part of the problem is coming from Asia and until they stop, what everyone else is doing is basically sitting there with a cup trying to scoop water out of a sinking boat while China and India each have fire hoses spraying more in 100 times faster than you can scoop it out. When we get Asia in check I will then be willing to do my part.

Honestly if you want to start making change now I think the only way would to be to go to war with China and India and "force" them to make the change. About the only way it will ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    "vaske oljen"
    Vask scotland and wales, for queen and for country.