Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    How much are you personally willing to sacrifice to lower the rate of global warming?
    Pretty much everything since there's no planet B. If we fuck up Earth for us we're dead. And since those before us have done nothing except sitting on their ass we have to do a ton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bling View Post
    I don't see the point in doing anything about Climate control until Asia, especially China and India get on the bandwagon. Right now countries that are doing something about Climate change are only shooting themselves in the foot. They make themselves weaker while China and India get stronger.

Seriously though, such a large part of the problem is coming from Asia and until they stop, what everyone else is doing is basically sitting there with a cup trying to scoop water out of a sinking boat while China and India each have fire hoses spraying more in 100 times faster than you can scoop it out. When we get Asia in check I will then be willing to do my part.

Honestly, if you want to start making change now I think the only way would to be to go to war with China and India and "force" them to make the change. About the only way it will ever happen.
    The aforementioned countries are on the bandwagon. China does it in the main cities and has participated in a lot of development. India would like to, though until they get the means to do so they want what everyone else has gotten.

USA is the country that needs to get on the bandwagon since there are a lot of "fuck you, I'll get all I can since I'll be dead when the bill comes in.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality
    How much are you personally willing to sacrifice to lower the rate of global warming?
    lol, it's good to diversify and not be dependent on oil too much (venezuela says hi) but sacrificing billions for virtue signalling, which is what norway essentially does with this action, is idiotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Nothing. While climate change is a reality, I'm not so convinced that man-made climate change is a reality. Especially since it came to light that we've been chalking cosmic events up to the man-made side of the equation up until now. We simply know jack-shit about climate.

(Note I didn't say I deny it, I'm just not convinced, feel free to flame away).
    If not for the risk of climate change, surely you'd welcome policy to discourage behavior that overlaps it. So reduced emissions and plastics to improve air quality and stem the impact of plastic on the oceans ecosystems?

As someone who was born and raised in Lofoten, I appreciate this. Then again the government has "threatened" to check for oil there for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Teph View Post
    Oh no, in the worst case we are trying to make a better world for nothing. What a shame.
    better world? nah, better world needs energy, cheap energy, lots of it.. especially all the developing countries

10+ Year Old Account
    What a nice way to support Venezuela, cut their communism off of oil money income in same manner, except Norway is doing this willingly

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    better world? nah, better world needs energy, cheap energy, lots of it.. especially all the developing countries
    I question whether turning a world into hell is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    The UN estimates that the refugee flows from climate change will be 300 million people by 2050, and that's their low-end estimate. That's 6 times the refuge flow during the earlier 2010s, which was a crisis that turned 30% of Europe far right, and caused the dumpsterfire that is Trump. Several developing countries are calling inaction on climate change genocide. Your claim is bullshit.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillerina View Post
    The UN estimates that the refugee flows from climate change will be 300 million people by 2050, and that's their low-end estimate. That's 6 times the refuge flow during the earlier 2010s, which was a crisis that turned 30% of Europe far right, and caused the dumpsterfire that is Trump. Several developing countries are calling inaction on climate change genocide. Your claim is bullshit.
    UN is a political organism, so their predictions mean shit. Damn, have they ever scored a right prediction ?

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    UN is a political organism, so their predictions mean shit. Damn, have they ever scored a right prediction ?
    Well, the political side of the UN has little to nothing to do with making predictions such as the one I mentioned. It's done by scientists funded by the UN similar to most government research, and it's usually quite accurate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Edgy opinion you have there conservative, let's hear whatever solution your brain trust can come up with? Or is there no problem, just another fake crisis invented by the global liberal commie Obama Killary Soros Cabal?
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

I'm honestly a little disgusted by some of the responses in here. People won't sacrifice even a little for the world.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    I'm honestly a little disgusted by some of the responses in here. People won't sacrifice even a little for the world.
    Should be the selection mechanism for when Thanos is inevitably proven right.

Too many nowadays think only of their own comforts...not their children's.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For now they are. And since they get more than half their export wealth from oil anyway, just how much are they really sacrificing when their country has such a low population anyway? You could say billions in revenue! How much of a sacrifice does a multi billionaire make when he gives 100 million away?

But meh, it is Norway, they have the right to turn down money if they want. And each person has the right to ether use a gas guzzler or ride a bike to work. If I am cold, I am going to dress warmer and if needed, turn the thermostat up higher on my natural gas furnace. Or if required, fire up the old wood burner in the basement again. I have access to plenty of free wood to burn.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Contrary to the article, there is no guarantee that there are billions of barrels of oil under Lofoten Islands. One thing is sure, if Norway wants to depend on oil for their economy, they need to find new reserves to replace their dwindling North Sea reserves. Norway oil production has been on a steady decline for the last 2 decades.

10+ Year Old Account
    What any one individual has to "personally sacrifice" is astronomically low. What do you care whether you get your energy from oil or solar? I very much doubt the average person in Norway will notice an iota whether they exploit these islands for oil or not. So they might as well not, and do the rest of the world a favor.

Good on Norway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Nothing. While climate change is a reality, I'm not so convinced that man-made climate change is a reality. Especially since it came to light that we've been chalking cosmic events up to the man-made side of the equation up until now. We simply know jack-shit about climate.

(Note I didn't say I deny it, I'm just not convinced, feel free to flame away).
    ...So you're claiming you understand the science better than thousands of climate scientists the world over whose very job it is to research the subject?

You might as well claim that chewing ice is good for you and all dentists don't know what they're talking about because you like chewing ice.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    I am not putting words in your mouth.... and nothing is for certain is a given. We go with best data and that data is what you are claiming to be untrue.
    Well, since you say you aren't putting words in my mouth, I kindly ask you to quote me where I claim that any of the data is untrue. If you can't, then you were literally putting words in my mouth. And before you attempt that task - me saying that we are focusing on the wrong question is not the same as me claiming any data is untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    We were created by the biblical God.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenthovind View Post
    There's as much evidence for Santa as for darwinian evolution.
    The irony

Are you telling me not EVERYTHING is about making money? Are you saying life is MORE than slaving away in our capitalist way of life?

Well gosh darnit, now I learned something new!

Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    Well, since you say you aren't putting words in my mouth, I kindly ask you to quote me where I claim that any of the data is untrue. If you can't, then you were literally putting words in my mouth. And before you attempt that task - me saying that we are focusing on the wrong question is not the same as me claiming any data is untrue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Contego View Post
    There have been curving climate changes since the dawn of time, and we're on schedule on the way out of a mini-ice age. What we humans do is accelerate the process, not cause the process. We can't stop climate change, even if we permanently cut all man-made greenhouse gas emissions down to 0. It's really a matter of perspective, because neither side on this is wrong, but neither is right either, we simply focus on the wrong questions. The real question should rather be if there is any benefit to delaying the end of the mini-ice age by a few more decades or not, because it will inevitably come.
    You are saying that we should not worry about man made climate change since we have natural climate change. The 2 are not related and will add up together. It is simple math. We are not accelerating the process, we are adding to it. If you do not understand this that is not really my problem but it is exactly what you wrote.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Not one bit.
    Did you take some discount correspondence course in how to be edgy and obnoxious? Do they offer a refund?