Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexia View Post
    The Masses: WE WANT VANILLA!!!!

Also the Masses: Except this. And please don't do that, it was dumb. Oh, the other thing? No, no, leave it alone.

/popcorn
    A common misunderstanding is that those are the same people, when in reality they are not.

Will only lead to 2 types of rk14 players: Streamers getting carried and acc sharing.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone wanted Vanilla, they get Vanilla and now they realize the game was a shitshow back then
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Personally I think it's a shame; if ever it was asked what would you change, my only response was "The PvP system", but it is in no way unexpected, and it's good that they are staying authentic to start with; as it would be unfair not to really.

Maybe down the line they may experiment with a "fresh server" using a different PvP system, because I can imagine there will be a lot of complaints about this. I just know it will affect how much I PvP beyond getting a few rep items from AV when it releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

whats wrong with having something only the most dedicated can reach?
    as for account sharing. People will cheat and cut corners in everything just gotta make an example of em and perma ban!

Here's how WoW worked in the 2000's: People that had a ton of time to spend in the game got lots of cool stuff. People that didn't have hours upon hours to spend in the game did not. They got to take a journey into an open world in a way they had likely never experienced at the time. I don't know about anyone else, but my RPG experience up to 2005 was strictly single player games. WoW was the first time I got to RPG with other people. It was exciting. It was new. It was fresh. Then it became something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Care to elaborate? Ya, didn't think so. Its not a good system, I explained why.
    It rewards people for meaningful contribution. Other systems, most of which are ELO/rating based are too easily abused. Moreover, it encourages constant PvP participation, which is good for everyone.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

I explained why.
    No you didn't. Complaining that you don't like something is not an argument.

You wanted Vanilla, YOU GET FUCKING VANILLA.

We've all been saying for months upon months how messed up some of Vanilla's systems were. Don't act all surprised or shocked now.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you.
    Wait, there are people who didn't expect the old pvp system to come back? It's one of the main distinctions of the preBC era.

What I'm shocked is they are bringing back dishonorable kills. Shocked and extremely pleased. This is even more vanilla than people asked for.
    "I have the most loyal fanboys. Did you ever see that? Where I could stand by Thoradin's Wall and massacre my own people and I wouldn't lose any fanboys. It's like incredible." - Sylvanas Windrunner

"If you kill your enemies, they win." - Anduin Wrynn

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    You don't lose honor on DKs, you lose something far more precious. You lose ranking points. You lose 100 ranking points. A rank 10 player has got 50k rank points, each DK lowers that by a flat amount of 100 which amounts to 2% of the total rank progress.
    I seem to remember losing honor. At any rate, we made him lose enough that he either almost went down an entire rank, or he was ranked down. It was only 2 wisps.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Yeah, not like all those changes they're already fucking making lololololololololol.
    Ah, thanks for proving the slippery slope that is making changes... This is the exact reason why they shouldn't make any changes. "You think you do, but you don't"... who said that... it's almost like the best quote to identify these vanilla-liters.

Quote Originally Posted by Uglytoes View Post
    Ah, thanks for proving the slippery slope that is making changes... This is the exact reason why they shouldn't make any changes. "You think you do, but you don't"... who said that... it's almost like the best quote to identify these vanilla-liters.
    I don't think you know what a slippery slope is.

#nochanges

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I think they intend to release stuff like this as-was (caveat at end of this paragraph), but have a ready-made plan to roll out in however many months modifying it once they can claim some kind of outcry and/or other gameplay reasons. the rank 14 grind req in particular seems ready-made for bad general PR and lawsuit-type issues in the US now. This is the poster-child of promoting unhealthy gameplay (and that is still the main reason I will not be surprised if it is modified, or the rewards are).

I do expect they know how the honor ssystem is gamed on PS now and may even have counter-measures to roll out once it starts happening in classic.

If the vanilla honor system is still as-was six months after release, i will gladly eat my words.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2019-04-09 at 03:14 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

Looks like Brack was right after all..at least when it comes to people like this:

"You think you do...but you don't"
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    Personally I think they intend to release stuff like this as-was (caveat at end of this paragraph), but have a ready-made plan to roll out in however many months modifying it once they can claim some kind of outcry and/or other gameplay reasons. the rank 14 grind req in particular seems ready-made for bad general PR and lawsuit-type issues in the US now. This is the poster-child of promoting unhealthy gameplay (and that is still the main reason I will not be surprised if it is modified, or the rewards are).

I do expect they know how the honor ssystem is gamed on PS now and may even have counter-measures to roll out once it starts happening in classic.

If the vanilla honor system is still as-was six months after release, i will gladly eat my words.
    Nobody cares if adults are sinking unhealthy amounts of time into a game. It's only news worthy if it's kids. Kids these days play Fortnite, they probably won't play WoW Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Kids these days play Fortnite, they probably won't play WoW Classic.
    This is genius and made me laugh with its simple logic.

It's 100% true too!

In vanilla, I literally endangered my relationship with my significant other (by just back burnering her for a week while I dedicated to the grind) to get the lowest rung of ladder system title and armor set from PVP. That's just how vanilla was. That's how classic will be. It's a passion project whose appeal I think is being overestimated in this thread.

Classic **will** be popular... among people who know what they are getting into. It's not meant to change any new minds, classic is archaic next to all modern standards.

As a veteran Vanilla player myself I agree but I never thought/hoped for a revamp tbh. Let the grind be on, I'll be cheering from the sidelines.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Omedon View Post
    This is genius and made me laugh with its simple logic.

It's 100% true too!

In vanilla, I literally endangered my relationship with my significant other (by just back burnering her for a week while I dedicated to the grind) to get the lowest rung of ladder system title and armor set from PVP. That's just how vanilla was. That's how classic will be. It's a passion project whose appeal I think is being overestimated in this thread.

Classic **will** be popular... among people who know what they are getting into. It's not meant to change any new minds, classic is archaic next to all modern standards.
    I agree, the fortniters will jump in and cry salty tears
    , while it might appeal to some, classic WoW structure is for the earlier generation.

The old highwarlord grind system is incredibly dumb. It rewards people who play 20 hours a day, and/or account share. Its an objectively bad system. And a perfect example of one of the things they should of changed for these servers.

I know they are scared of opening pandoras box in regards to changes, but this one was a no brainer. Huge mistake.

Anyone have an argument why this system is not embarrassingly awful?
    People wanted vanilla. That system was part of vanilla. It's as simple as that.