Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I'm not a fan of elven shamanism, because the fantasy of it is supposed to be done by a tribal society (yet night elves aren't shamans as well...) or a race that can exploit the elements (see goblins).

If an elven race could be shaman would be the night elves, because all the other elves are very erudite and aristocratic.
    Zandalari have also evolved in that aristocratic direction, but they haven't abandoned their shamanistic old ways.

For me, mages are the aristoractic shamans, or shamans are the tribal mages. And warlocks are the evil mages / shamans

Less elves is better for this game. The horde is already flooded by generic slut mog DKs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    horde is already flooded by generic slut mog DKs.
    Only DKs?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    Only DKs?
    Okay, sub par Beastmasters also.

5+ Year Old Account
    To be honest. At this point of time every race should be able to become every Class.

We have Undead wielding, or being resurrected by the light so Undead Paladin.
    Kultirans should be Paladins
    Zandalari off course should be able to be Warlocks
    Blood Elves should be Shaman we know elves come from Trolls, and after all these years maybe they learn to use shamanism
    Void elves clearly are the only one exception in some regards, but we can see holy priest void elves, why not paladins?

So the lore at this point doesnt matter anymore, players enjoyment should be the one that matters....... but hey its Blizzard

From a story perspective it is way easier to add in a tribe or group of a specific race that has practiced that magic due to necessity, or from other groups that were willing to teach them.

High Elves should be all about blue dragonflight or dragons in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    Blood Elves should be Shaman we know elves come from Trolls, and after all these years maybe they learn to use shamanism
    That's not a justification. Like at all. Elves ever had or indulged in shamnistic practice. That sort of magic (tribal) is beneth them and too primitive for their theme.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... but why tho?

Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I'm not a fan of elven shamanism, because the fantasy of it is supposed to be done by a tribal society (yet night elves aren't shamans as well...) or a race that can exploit the elements (see goblins).

If an elven race could be shaman would be the night elves, because all the other elves are very erudite and aristocratic.
    Zandalari have also evolved in that aristocratic direction, but they haven't abandoned their shamanistic old ways.

For me, mages are the aristoractic shamans, or shamans are the tribal mages. And warlocks are the evil mages / shamans
    That is sorta what I'm saying I'm not advocating elves adapt the tribal shaman fantasy, it doesn't fit them, not the night elves, nor a y of their off shoots, hence a mage version of it could do the job for elves

Given the respect for nature night elves have, ergo druids, it really wouldn't seem odd to me if night elves could commune with elemental spirits. IMO it would be easier lore wise to justify than mages were and paladins would be. (Not that I think nelf paladins would be hard.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    To be honest. At this point of time every race should be able to become every Class.

We have Undead wielding, or being resurrected by the light so Undead Paladin.
    Kultirans should be Paladins
    Zandalari off course should be able to be Warlocks
    Void elves clearly are the only one exception in some regards, but we can see holy priest void elves, why not paladins?

So the lore at this point doesnt matter anymore, players enjoyment should be the one that matters....... but hey its Blizzard
    Yes in many ways. But it's not about giving every race every class for the sake of it, but it is giving them stuff in a way that makes sense or fits their character, rather than just saying, night elves can become warlocks or draenei rogues etc.

Things like what I proposed can happen straight away because the elemental manipulation via the arcane was defined in night elf lore right at the start and shown clearly in mages, so it is easy to see how nightborne and highborne can bring back lost forms of arcane elemental manipulation to the elves and possible.

Some things might only make sense when a story progression happens down the line to make it plausible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Given the respect for nature night elves have, ergo druids, it really wouldn't seem odd to me if night elves could commune with elemental spirits. IMO it would be easier lore wise to justify than mages were and paladins would be. (Not that I think nelf paladins would be hard.)
    Indeed, you can imagine druid type night elves doing that, but in lore druidsm can do similar things anyway, and the arcane the night elf arcane wielder know can produce the same effects empowered, they need. It pathe tribal path is superfluous to them, altho they are humble enough to be envisaged walking it, so are the other elf races.

However they have a very different kit that fits them much better to produce elemental magic. Bargaini g or pleading with spirits to lend them power is obsolete when they learnt of the goddess and learnt the arcane... I don't see them needing g to do so, when they can approach it this way.

I feel it fits the elves much better. Besides if we gave night elves only the traditional approach, we have still cut the other elves out, while this approach in the OP all elves have a route now

I could never play an elf as the sort of shaman we have in game even Druid night elves don’t fit it. But Tidesages are a good example that you don’t have to fit that mould to be playable.

I would dig playing that class as an elf if it was arcane based, fitting elven lore. The elves are big enough to have their own unique lore rendition of wielding elements, definitely based on the arcane. Coming from the Moonguard and Duskguard makes sense and explains why we haven’t seen it in the elves till now and links it to combat more than spirituality or an order like the tidesages, which works.
    I also like the connection that shamanism has come leaps and bounds in recent years due to the conflicts and new groups as well as an Order, and because of this they are at a similar level of elementsry mastery and enhancement the night elves were at their peak.

The player has a more traditional shaman influence not because he has picked up things from them, though his Moonguard/Duskguard teachers introduce a few new things which explains the new shaman buffs in the next patch

As I said before, I would be onboard with an arcane elemental wielder in the shaman spot for elves definitely, but I could never play an elf as a traditional tribal shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    I could never play an elf as the sort of shaman we have in game even Druid night elves don’t fit it. But Tidesages are a good example that you don’t have to fit that mould to be playable.

I would dig playing that class as an elf if it was arcane based, fitting elven lore. The elves are big enough to have their own unique lore rendition of wielding elements, definitely based on the arcane. Coming from the Moonguard and Duskguard makes sense and explains why we haven’t seen it in the elves till now and links it to combat more than spirituality or an order like the tidesages, which works.
    I also like the connection that shamanism has come leaps and bounds in recent years due to the conflicts and new groups as well as an Order, and because of this they are at a similar level of elementsry mastery and enhancement the night elves were at their peak.

The player has a more traditional shaman influence not because he has picked up things from them, though his Moonguard/Duskguard teachers introduce a few new things which explains the new shaman buffs in the next patch

As I said before, I would be onboard with an arcane elemental wielder in the shaman spot for elves definitely, but I could never play an elf as a traditional tribal shaman.
    They already did this with tidesages. But the first time they actually did this was with the night elf priest. Your priest class is a Light religion priest, but while night elf priests are Moon Priests, your night elf priest spells do not reflect that.

Don't ask me why the creative team couldn't have written spell names and description for an arcane/moonlight wielding priest and the visual arts team design different spell visuals for the exact same type of spells so you could get that immersion - I don't know, it would have been worth it, racial flavour is a powerful incentive. The OP my partner proposed goes even one step further and at least presents a way the elven mages could literally cast the same spells but as arcane wielders of the elements instead of traditional shaman.

But yet this is strange to some people

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    They already did this with tidesages. But the first time they actually did this was with the night elf priest. Your priest class is a Light religion priest, but while night elf priests are Moon Priests, your night elf priest spells do not reflect that.

Don't ask me why the creative team couldn't have written spell names and description for an arcane/moonlight wielding priest and the visual arts team design different spell visuals for the exact same type of spells so you could get that immersion - I don't know, it would have been worth it, racial flavour is a powerful incentive. The OP my partner proposed goes even one step further and at least presents a way the elven mages could literally cast the same spells but as arcane wielders of the elements instead of traditional shaman.

But yet this is strange to some people
    Well if they were going to do it, they would have done it by now.

But then they did do allied races, so maybe they will give personalisation of classes to unique races. If you get a Moon Priestess, I want a Phoenix Mage.

NE shaman make a heal of a lot more sense than goblins or dwarves. Of course lore and plot gets tossed out anytime they need it to.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."