Page 20 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    I'm just ready for comic book movies and endless remakes to be over-with altogether.
    Yeah that's not happening anytime soon. With the Fox deal now through, you better prepare yourself for another 30 movies with the F4 and X-men in the MCU now. Marvel could put out a pickle fighting a turd and it would still make money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshouttajail View Post
    Pretty sure she will tone down her ambitious crusade against white men before Avengers Endgame comes out. This is not because she wants to, it's because the message was received, so it's worth sending the message.
    Brie Larson never said anything that suggested anything of the sort.

She noticed the lack of diversity in the press pool, and noted that she would like to see a broader diversity of opinions in movie reviewing. She wasn't arguing against any particular movie reviewer, for being a white guy. Anyone taking it that way came into this with their axe pre-ground, wanting to find something to feign outrage over.

10+ Year Old Account
    What goes up must come down. Trends come and go all the time. We'll be looking back in 20 years and laughing at how stupid we all were for fueling this comic movie craze, the same as our parents are ashamed of bell bottom jeans.
    This "comic craze" that has been a solid tentpole of cinema for a good 30 years or so.

And that's if I'm being generous and acknowledging that comic-book-based films were released less frequently in the '80s than the '90s onward, which excludes the earlier Superman film series, which was generally pretty darned popular.

This is the problematic quote:

“I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ I want to hear what a woman of color, a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film.”

The thing is, people need to figure out a better way to get their point across than saying something this way. You can ask for diversity without directly saying something adverse to the majority. Saying you don't want to hear from a white guy is a racist thing to say, no matter the context. That might not have been here intent, but it was the effect.
    Boy, if THAT quote is problematic, MAGAboys should really watch themselves in mirror...

What goes up must come down. Trends come and go all the time. We'll be looking back in 20 years and laughing at how stupid we all were for fueling this comic movie craze, the same as our parents are ashamed of bell bottom jeans.
    While I agree fads come and go, but it's not like people are looking back to say the OT of Star Wars and saying man we were so dumb for liking this. Or looking back to the BTTF trilogy or other things like that. I think movies are a little more future proof than say POGS or beanie babies and shit.

I mean I am biased because overall I like the MCU, but I might have less interest after Endgame ends. They are generally decent popcorn flicks that have likeable enough characters and an ok story. Remakes of movies and live action adaptations I will totally agree with, they need to stop. But the MCU overall is keeping things fresh and still expanding on their universe, so I am ok for now with it.

Realistically though comic book movies have been doing ok since what probably the first Superman movie back in the late 70's. Batman movies, Blade series, X-men series and I might be forgetting more. If we take that into account, that is almost 40 years of comic book movies. I only see it really slowing down if they start to reboot the same character over and over again like with Spiderman. Homecoming was a breath of fresh air for that character as was Bale's Batman at the time.
    Last edited by crono14; 2019-04-09 at 08:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the problematic quote:

“I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about ‘A Wrinkle in Time.’ I want to hear what a woman of color, a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film.”
    Yeah, let's go with the full quote, rather than cherry-picking one pit out of context.

"Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I’m not. I don’t want to hear what a white man has to say about A Wrinkle in Time. I want to hear what a woman of color, a biracial woman has to say about the film. I want to hear what teenagers think about the film. If you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is a chance that a woman of color does not have access to review and critique your film. Do not say the talent is not there, because it is."

She's clearly talking about the lack of diversity in the press pool, about movie reviewers, and particularly, when the film has themes that will speak more-directly to people with different heritage.

It wasn't an attack on white dudes, at all. You have to cut out half her comment and misrepresent what's left to twist her words to kinda maybe look like that. Anyone taking it that way, like I said, had pre-determined they were going to take offense to anything that didn't stroke the metaphorical egos of white dudes, and was looking for something to get mad about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know exactly what she was trying to say, but I also know what she did say. "I don't want to hear what a white man has to say" is an ignorant thing to say in any context.
    Ignoring the greater context is, effectively, an attempt to lie.

It's like if I were to say "among Neo-Nazis, it's common for people to get tattoos with Nazi symbolism, like an '88', which refers to 'H' being the 8th letter of the alphabet, and thus acting as a code for 'Heil Hitler."

And you quoted me saying "Heil Hitler", and pretended I was a Nazi for saying that.

That's a lie. You can't cut out the context without completely changing what I said. Same with Larson's quote. Which does not say what you're trying to make it say.

10+ Year Old Account
    MAGAboys aren't what's being discussed in this thread. Pretty sure people like you typically call what you've done here "whataboutism".

- - - Updated - - -

I know exactly what she was trying to say, but I also know what she did say. "I don't want to hear what a white man has to say" is an ignorant thing to say in any context. You can offer opportunities to the underrepresented without explicitly calling for exclusion, as she and so many others have done and will continue to do. Try offering the same statement publicly with any other race inserted into the same statement and bet whether you'll get hit with a shit-storm. Sorry, but white people aren't fair targets in the push for diversity, we're not going to accept statements like Brie's as okay.
    That's the thing, people like endus and the op do think that's acceptable thing, their indoctrinated by modern social queues because of what's happened in the past. And then vehemently deny it or twist around their own flaws unable to see their just as bigoted based on race as the racist groups they so despise
    #boycottchina

The thing is that, as it was for the ghostbusters case, haters yelling everywhere on the internet about a movie makes people who weren't even paying attention aware of the movie in question. People who weren't even interested in seeing the movie in the first place now might wanna see what the fuss is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Brie Larson never said anything that suggested anything of the sort.

She noticed the lack of diversity in the press pool, and noted that she would like to see a broader diversity of opinions in movie reviewing. She wasn't arguing against any particular movie reviewer, for being a white guy. Anyone taking it that way came into this with their axe pre-ground, wanting to find something to feign outrage over.
    She literally said she wants less white men at the viewing party or some viewing event, doesn't matter what it was. It was a stupid thing to say and not the first time she said something of the sort.

Don't make claims about what people said when you have no clue what they said.

BTW lack of diversity is only a thing if you are racist. Non racist people don't care about the ratio of skin color involved in anything, only racist people push quotas because that's a decision based entirely on race and nothing else.

anything with the marvel logo on it will make money even if the movie is crap. its domestic sales numbers is almost same as spiderman 3

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    anything with the marvel logo on it will make money even if the movie is crap. its domestic sales numbers is almost same as spiderman 3
    Even if the movie is crap, people that buy tickets will insist that the movie is the best ever.

"Anti-SJW" tends to be code for backwards shitstains. At least they also tend to be very vocal with their pretend status in this world so they're easy to weed out.

No, they don't accomplish anything. Ghostbusters 2016 wouldn't have been a good movie with an all-male cast. The upcoming Ghostbusters movie will have representation (kids, adults, men, women, girls, boys, skin tones) out the wazoo and it will be good or bad based on the script and execution same as always.

It's quite hilarious to boot that "ant-SJWs" always screech about wanting to keep politics out of entertainment, but it's always been a part of that scene. Always. Being able to watch a movie without caring about the real life politics of the actors involved has sort of been an exercise since forever.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2019-04-09 at 08:58 PM.

Female empowerment for the sake of female empowerment is stupid.

That being said - Cpt Marvel was great. THAT is how you do a strong female character. You just make a strong female character... full stop. You don't have to denigrate men or make unrealistic leaps to show how tough women are.

Just make STRONG, REASONABLE women characters.

Proud of Marvel and Hollywood for Cpt Marvel.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, i think that movies that push it too much are bound to fail as they are not trying to make a good movie, just fill a "missing" spot.

So.... i'm ok with movies trying to do "noble things" (is for money in the end, so not that noble -and the idea of noble per se is questionable), but when they try to exagerate, it ends up like The Ghostbusters

"I don't want to hear what a white man has to say" is a very clear statement that context can't bail you out of. Sorry. There are hoards of people who disagree with you on this, so stop mistaking controversy for lying. I know you have no idea what the difference is, but maybe you'll get it one day.

Your comparison here is also logically flawed in a way that makes you a damn liar. The mechanics of your example are nowhere near close to the thing you're trying to defend.
    You have to try really hard to be offended by that once the full quote has been given to you. What was basically said is "I don't want to hear from person of X heritage when a film is written to resonate with people of Y heritage." It takes the most delicate of snowflakes to think that is an attack on people of X heritage.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2019-04-09 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Female empowerment for the sake of female empowerment is stupid.

That being said - Cpt Marvel was great. THAT is how you do a strong female character. You just make a strong female character... full stop. You don't have to denigrate men or make unrealistic leaps to show how tough women are.

Just make STRONG, REASONABLE women characters.

Proud of Marvel and Hollywood for Cpt Marvel.
    Why? The movie does nothing that hasn't been done in cinema for decades, CGI aside. Carol Danvers is the latest in a long line of female heroines in action movies, many of them featured prominently in vastly superior movies.

MAGAboys aren't what's being discussed in this thread. Pretty sure people like you typically call what you've done here "whataboutism".

- - - Updated - - -

I know exactly what she was trying to say, but I also know what she did say. "I don't want to hear what a white man has to say" is an ignorant thing to say in any context. You can offer opportunities to the underrepresented without explicitly calling for exclusion, as she and so many others have done and will continue to do. Try offering the same statement publicly with any other race inserted into the same statement and bet whether you'll get hit with a shit-storm. Sorry, but white people aren't fair targets in the push for diversity, we're not going to accept statements like Brie's as okay.
    fucking christ you people are stupid.....

Let me ask you this shithead..If I wanted to know how the recent Tyler Perry Movie did...Would I ask a fucking White Mans opinion on it.....No....

If you were to ask most black people...who were the major audience how they liked the Tyler perry movies...a lot of them probably liked it...But general reviews probably would dog the fuck out of it..

theres only one captain marvel and his name is billy batson

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no correct context to say "I don't want to hear from x heritage", or even "this movie was made for y heritage" for that matter. Also, masking your overt racism with saying "heritage" instead of "race" isn't helping your argument.
    How about:

I don't care what Muslims have to say about "The Passion of the Christ", it wasn't made for them.

Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.