Page 23 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshouttajail View Post
    Just because the movies were successful doesn't mean the anti-SJW backlash did nothing. You first have to understand that these movies did less than they would have if there was no backlash.
    That is blatantly unsound reasoning. You have no evidence that they had any appreciable effect at all on any of these films.

The goal never was to prevent everyone from seeing the movie. Anti-SJW people are very aware that the gigantic majority of the entertainment industry is overpowered by leftists. Everyone knows you can't stop the brainashing that easy. I mean there's still people who think AOC is not a clueless lunatic idiot. So before you stop people from seeing a movie that is part of a gigantic universe that never ends, you're gonna need a lot more than people saying "Brie Larson hates you white boyz".

That being said, the whole point is not to make a legit difference in the profit or success, it's mostly to send the message that being a sexist racist bitch and hating literally the target audience of your movie is fucking moronic at best.
    Pretty sure she will tone down her ambitious crusade against white men before Avengers Endgame comes out. This is not because she wants to, it's because the message was received, so it's worth sending the message.
    And their message fell on deaf ears. Nobody cared. The vast majority of the public, quite obviously, does not give a shit about their "anti-sjw" message.

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    Success in entertainment isn't that simple. Did Captain Marvel do well cause it was SJW movie or cause it was a Marvel movie? At this point Marvel could put out a movie about a shit pickle that fights crime and it would still make a ton of money. Suicide Squad for example did well in the box office and wasn't SJW at all, but the movie was awful. Can you think of other awful movies that did well in the box office? Usually where these movies prey on nostalgia or maybe a remake?

Remember Wonder Women is like Captain Marvel as the movie had a female heroin who made Aqua Man look weak. Nobody complained there. What about Alita Battle Angel which was released at the same time and I'd argue was a better movie which also had a female heroin as the main character. So what's special about Captain Marvel? Maybe it has something to do with the actor Brie Larson said some things about white men that triggered all this hate?

I wouldn't expect Captain Marvel 2 to be anywhere near as successful due to her comments, and I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced her just to avoid the massive review bombings that will inevitably come with it.
    They obviously didn't recast her for infinity war.

And again, Disney obviously does not care about Larson's statements and, going by the box office, most of the public does not care either.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I will always bring up that fans loved Alita: Battle Angel. It easily could have gone on a campaign of Woke signaling. It had a Hispanic female lead actress, Hispanic director. It had all the ingredients and more since CM's Bre Larson was as white as could be.

Yet didn't do that, and the fans loved the movie and bought a fuck ton of tickets. Despite all this, the same Hollywood press hated Alita, but love CM.

So you have a problem, you cannot with a straight face claim that this is "Men hate the WHAMENS!" since other female-led films are beloved and have done exceptionally well.
    I always feel like you're responding to posts that no one made.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Like Captain Marvel for example. As a straight white male, I watched that movie, thought it was alright and not once did I feel like "feminism was being pushed on me" or that I should be "offended" for being white and male.
    Plus, can we talk about how completely asinine the idea that "feminism is being pushed" or "diversity is being pushed" is?

Both boil down to "Women and minorities can be the heroic lead." That's it. That's the sum total of what's being "pushed". If that gets your dander up, you have really obvious issues.

People need to just watch movies and disregard the politics surrounding whatever bull ideology they think is being perpetuated.

Doesn't matter whether you like a movie or not, speak your piece and move on. No need to persuade the masses to follow your ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Hell, it beats the prequels too.
    It was the best star wars movie for me. I like seeing the infantry and semi failure more than heroic circlejerks.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    the people who rage about such things are just SJW's for there own side, the problem comes about when there own side is just abunch of morons shrieking about woman and minority's instead of shrieking about what ever the topic of the mouth for SJW's is.

no one should take them seriously just as they shouldn't take normal SJW's seriously.
    Just a quick question here: Who exactly keeps harassing companys for not "including" things they think that have to be in there or for having "not the right idea or representation" of people hm?

Or keep saying that one part of the fandom isn´t wanted bcs the moves aren´t made for them hm?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I always feel like you're responding to posts that no one made.
    I always feel like you guys want me to read from a script to make responses easier on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

I do not really care if Captain Marvel was a success or not, I just know I was not giving it my theater money. It is worth a Redbox rental. I was actually going to see it until the stars opened their mouths and made the film a platform. No matter what the message is, I would prefer actors just play pretend, take the paycheck, and shut up.

On a side note, I am prefer female super heroes. I do not believe that most comic movie fans really care about the sex of a hero either. I find it annoying though, the fabrication of some injustice in the comic movie genre or films in general that needs to be solved by this movie. I think it is pretty insulting to also insinuate that a person needs a hero on screen to "look like them" to find them relatable. The archetypes transcend the imagery.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Just a quick question here: Who exactly keeps harassing companys for not "including" things they think that have to be in there or for having "not the right idea or representation" of people hm?

Or keep saying that one part of the fandom isn´t wanted bcs the moves aren´t made for them hm?
    given just the threads and post i've seen on here it both people on the left and the right. people on the right complain about woman and minority's in movies/games and people on the left complain about white folk in movies/games. both claim that X kind of media isn't meant for the other and so on, its pretty much a perfect mirror.

7+ Year Old Account
    given just the threads and post i've seen on here it both people on the left and the right. people on the right complain about woman and minority's in movies/games and people on the left complain about white folk in movies/games. both claim that X kind of media isn't meant for the other and so on, its pretty much a perfect mirror.
    Which side FORCES studios and companys to change hm?

Right our dear leftist friends bcs the right also does this but they don´t force them to change something. Or do you ever have heared about some black char being tossed out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I never really understood the backlash about the 2016 "Ghostbusters" film. I've seen it twice now, and while it's not a hugely remarkable movie it's funny and entertaining enough. On both my initial and subsequent watching I basically formed and stand by my original assessment: emotions were so high and polarized about this movie I don't think much of anyone cared to really watch it and judge it on its own merits. To be honest the original 1984 "Ghostbusters" wasn't itself a landmark triumph - it's funny, memorable, and quite watchable but it neither redefined its genre nor I think will it go down in the halls of cinema history alongside "The Godfather," "Casablanca," or "Citizen Kane."

As for the topic of the thread itself, I don't think SJW or Anti-SJW sentiment has much of anything to do with anything, really. Those two camps are largely composed of fringe groups embroiled in the act of screaming at one another and/or anyone that will listen, not really making a deep impression on the bedrock of society itself. The problem with modern movies is a lack of innovation and a real fear of stepping outside established safe conventions - like music and gaming, it has devolved into formulaic approaches with an eye toward enriching shareholders as opposed to entertaining the masses. "Art is always an accident," as the saying goes.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    i doubt it, they way the choreograph lightsaber battles these days make every jedi some swordmaster/bladedancer. it's pretty stupid honestly. You do better arguing she was force attuned to lightsaber battles. thats some bullshit plot writing for sure but it wouldn't be the first time in SW that it was done.

In case you are wonder to what i'm referring too, luke is an amazing pilot not because he's been flying that PoS suttle, but because of his attenuation with the force gave him godlike spatial awareness.
    Well there you go, Rey's also attuned to the Force so she gets all her hand-eye coordination or anything else you need explained there. Boom.

I don't know what you mean about saber fights anyway, if you want to compare choreography the Disney films have the most raw and rough saber fighting of them all, particularly the Rey-Kylo fight in TFA. It's lightyears from the stilted dance sequences of the prequel films for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Actually, it's Disney that put together an explanation for Luke skills thanks to the (canon) comic.
    Which comic is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you'll find that the complaint is that so many characters, across so many properties, fall into the same fairly narrow spectrum. Nobody is complaining that Iron Man or Thor are white guys. What's been kind of weird is that every Marvel property has been headlined by a male character, until Captain Marvel. And not for a lack of female characters, either; Black Widow's been around since really early on, and ScarJo is an A-list actress with a reasonable draw at the box office.

Meanwhile, you get a movie headlined by a male hero (Black Panther) or a woman (Captain Marvel), and they get brigaded and so forth.

The context is not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    But unlike Boba Fett, Maul actually did more than just look cool, he actually gave us one of the best battles in Star Wars.
    What you don't like watching Fett get punked into a space vagina dentata?

But to be honest, his saber fight was essentially a dance battle. Looked flashy and exciting in 1999, but IMO pretty hollow and not among the best of the series.

Although credit to Star Wars Rebels which gave us a fantastic battle with him and Obi-Wan.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Plus, can we talk about how completely asinine the idea that "feminism is being pushed" or "diversity is being pushed" is?

Both boil down to "Women and minorities can be the heroic lead." That's it. That's the sum total of what's being "pushed". If that gets your dander up, you have really obvious issues.
    Isn't weird how only certain movies with female/minority leads have this happen and not all of them?

Shouldn't Wonder Woman have been as hated as you say female leads are?

Inb4 I never said they hated anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    There's a cut scene of Yoda training him with the lightsaber, but sadly it is, then, a cut scene and not in the film.

Hyper nerds have calculated that Luke trained with Yoda for 2 or 3 months based on what they could scratch together of the Falcon's capabilities and how long it would take to have flown from Hoth to Bespin without the hyper drive. While that's not stated in the film, eagle eyed fans have taken that along with Luke's clothing distress & changes on Dagobah to indicate there's definitely a reasonable passage of time.
    Even if you count the cut scene as canon, it's not saber combat. It's literally a basic cut. Real world swordsmen need years of practice duelling to get the necessary muscle memory, and cutting doesn't cut it. Lightsabers should if anything be harder to learn, going by canon.

Like sure, you can invent a wild headcanon to explain anything if you try hard enough. But what are we shown on screen? Nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Isn't weird how only certain movies with female/minority leads have this happen and not all of them?

Inb4 I never said they hated anyone.
    Wonder Woman got heaps of shit from online trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Well there you go, Rey's also attuned to the Force so she gets all her hand-eye coordination or anything else you need explained there. Boom.

I don't know what you mean about saber fights anyway, if you want to compare choreography the Disney films have the most raw and rough saber fighting of them all, particularly the Rey-Kylo fight in TFA. It's lightyears from the stilted dance sequences of the prequel films for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Which comic is that?
    Marvel Starwars Arc 2.

(The explanation is that a Hutt have a Jedi fetish and want to host the pay-per-view cage fight of the millenium, the last Jedi against a very nasty cyborg beast. Luke is thus trained with another souvenir, the Magmaguard from Episode III that the Hutt also have in his collection. It specifically explain why Luke style is much more pedestrian than then ones of Knights in the PT.

Ok, the explanation is ridiculous, but it's an explanation and it's canon.
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-04-10 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    What if I told you that Darth Maul was more than a cool costume AND survived the canon purge? (Being a big character in Clone Wars and an even more integral character during the first arch of Rebels).

Sadly, Boba did not survive, and his stories are now just part of legends.

YES. I know that when you analyze the story, Maul can be replaced with another character fairly effortlessly. Shush. The Rebels scene with him and Obiwan was great and you can't take that away from me!
    Yeah but the only reason he "survived" in the expanded fiction (and now the Disney canon) is that he was a fan favourite because he was a cool costume with like four lines.

Just like Boba Fett.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Which side FORCES studios and companys to change hm?

Right our dear leftist friends bcs the right also does this but they don´t force them to change something. Or do you ever have heared about some black char being tossed out?
    no studio is forced to change any thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    Marvel Starwars Arc 2.
    I'll have to add that to my towering pile of comics to read on MU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

There's some pretty significant differences in portrayal.
    Wonder Woman's outfit is skimpy. So skimpy Trevor has to keep her covered up, for decency's sake, in London.
    Her arc doesn't just include, but is defined by her romantic relationship with a guy.
    Also, it bears repeating that Wonder Woman's origin as a character was as a bondage fantasy.

Plus, I'm pretty sure it did catch a lot of flak.
    https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...r-wonder-woman

I wasn't saying this kind of brigading happens with every property, either. I was pointing out the instances where it did happen, to point out that similar action does not occur in the reverse.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-10 at 12:57 AM.