Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

World of Warcraft on Mobile Platforms

With The Elder Scrolls: Blades in early access... and based on the free to play and MTX business model, how sure are are WoW fans now, that Blizzard doesn't have plans to go mobile with World of Warcraft?

Will Blizzcon 2019 be a repeat of the Diablo Immortal fiasco?

Discuss.

"Discuss." Right.
    OT: It already went mobile with the companion app

Edit: I reflexively thought this was a @styil thread, sorry!

I think it will eventually to reach a new audience..

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    WoW isn't designed for mobile. It would need multiple major overhauls to get there.

Imagine classic being thier mobile ip.

How can you replicate an experience that requires you to utilize 30+ action keybinds regularly with 2 thumbs and ~200ms +- 50ms screen delay?

I'm all for new things, but I'm not stupid. That tech is nowhere near servicable for 'proper' gameplay entertainment.

I do wonder what the phone generation would feel like when they get to experience a real gaming rig with a CRT monitor and virtually no delay and with perfect smoothness.

I mean all of this new stuff is trash in comparison to the old days of when you had a rubber ball under your mouse versus the first opticals. I mean I'm not kidding, the 1st optical mouse I got felt shit to me because the delay was noticeable. Until I got used to it. And only recently(2014) have the sensors become fast enough to remove that difference but back then the analogue input was just so much ahead of the picture taking infrared under your mouse at the start.

But hey, if they manage to get that delay down and somehow work around the fact that 2 thumbs will NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER replace the system we have then I'm all for it, but until then, screw that phone trash. It's garbage.

Candy Crush and the likes where you do only 1 or a couple of monotonous movements(Hearthstone etc.) on a screen, would be fine(okay) to play (I guess). But anything engaging and competitive-like is a big NO NO.

Of course they will eventually.

It's sad how far Blizzard have fallen since Activision got a hold of them and started driving them even harder to become a profit focused company at the cost of amazing/quality products.

No doubt Activision are telling them to find a way to get WoW on either mobiles or consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Of course they will eventually.

It's sad how far Blizzard have fallen since Activision got a hold of them and started driving them even harder to become a profit focused company at the cost of amazing/quality products.

No doubt Activision are telling them to find a way to get WoW on either mobiles or consoles.
    You're trying to pull the Activision card on way too many angles, I feel like.

I agree with you but idk, I think it would be a monumentally colossal fuck up if they decide to put an MMORPG in a phone. Would wonder how raid healing would look like. Phone is only 20 blocks of healthbars? xD.

As in, I don't like Actiblizzard as much either but I doubt they'd be that stupid... altough come to double-think of it they did pull "I ar stupid AF" card with Diablo though... Then again, Diablo is something else? Err well, time will tell I guess...

10+ Year Old Account
    There already are MMOs for mobiles, look at Era of Legends for example, it's literally a wow clone on mobile.

Blizz is retarded if they don't do something like this... heck they're already late to the party.

That Diablo Immortal is considered not just by games but stockholders as the worst PR disaster in MMO history easily in the top 10. It immediately too 4% off of Activisions stock price and stained Blizzard reputation for years to come.

Trust me it would be career suicide for any person who even suggest this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    That Diablo Immortal is considered not just by games but stockholders as the worst PR disaster in MMO history easily in the top 10. It immediately too 4% off of Activisions stock price and stained Blizzard reputation for years to come.

Trust me it would be career suicide for any person who even suggest this.
    How much you wanna bet Diablo: Immortal will be an astounding success once it releases?

They talked about their take on Pokemon (on mobiles) - that could be something building on WoW's pet battles. It's quite unlikely to be just an extension of WoW, but it might have some interplay with WoW so that if you like the mobile game, you have an incentive to also play WoW, if only for a bit to try it out.

Full WoW on mobile - doubtful. If it happens, it's going to be a new game (eg, hero battler) *themed* after Warcraft. They might do an MMO, too, and even call it WoW 2 or whatever, but it won't play like WoW, the mechanics will be all mobile with maybe some twists from Blizzard, but definitely nothing close to what the PC version has.

That's my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    How much you wanna bet Diablo: Immortal will be an astounding success once it releases?
    Ironically you're probably right that it'll be a success.

And that purely because people don't know any better. Pointing at the young whippersnappers growing up only on their phones...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    Ironically you're probably right that it'll be a success.

And that purely because people don't know any better. Pointing at the young whippersnappers growing up only on their phones...
    Or people like playing quality games on their phones too, when they don't have access to PC/consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzaa View Post
    How can you replicate an experience that requires you to utilize 30+ action keybinds regularly with 2 thumbs and ~200ms +- 50ms screen delay?

I'm all for new things, but I'm not stupid. That tech is nowhere near servicable for 'proper' gameplay entertainment.

I do wonder what the phone generation would feel like when they get to experience a real gaming rig with a CRT monitor and virtually no delay and with perfect smoothness.

I mean all of this new stuff is trash in comparison to the old days of when you had a rubber ball under your mouse versus the first opticals. I mean I'm not kidding, the 1st optical mouse I got felt shit to me because the delay was noticeable. Until I got used to it. And only recently(2014) have the sensors become fast enough to remove that difference but back then the analogue input was just so much ahead of the picture taking infrared under your mouse at the start.

But hey, if they manage to get that delay down and somehow work around the fact that 2 thumbs will NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER replace the system we have then I'm all for it, but until then, screw that phone trash. It's garbage.

Candy Crush and the likes where you do only 1 or a couple of monotonous movements(Hearthstone etc.) on a screen, would be fine(okay) to play (I guess). But anything engaging and competitive-like is a big NO NO.
    Damn, I only have 2 macro buttons and I perform exceedingly well with the basic UI. The game isn't that hard lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    WoW isn't designed for mobile. It would need multiple major overhauls to get there.
    Actually, just a bit more ability pruning and UI changes and it'd be quite good to go. It has functional click to move mechanics etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

I mean doing world quests could hardly be worse, pretty sure it would work with one of the tencent knock-off mechanics for toilet-gaming. Do I think wow would work as a full on mobile port? No. Mobile controlls require even more dumbed down controlls than most modern AAA games can get away with. While WoWs pruning is/was on the way there, if Ion isn't lying again (your guess is as good as mine here), it is highly unlikely that they aim for a mobile conversion. The closest thing could be a simplified mobile version that shares your account data with your characters and.. well it only let's you do useless shit like world quests or pet battles that require no skill/complexity.

Blades is also not an ESO extension last time I checked. It's its own little shitty cash grab after Bethesda's last attempt with FO76 didn't pan out as well as hoped. Would Blizzard do one for the warcraft franchise? Well.. we will see how their Diablo immortal cashgrab will turn out. If the idiot Blizzard fans will lap it up, then the next one could very well be a Warcraft related one.

I just hope ATVI stock will take another -50% after next Blizzcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    There are no games that are "astounding success". All games fall "below expectations" these days

Anyways, i don't see how it's possible to make wow mobile friendly. Imagine inventory management? Ugh... Or picking stuff from the ground?
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2019-04-10 at 03:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Blades is a new game blizzard would have to make a new game for mobile like immortal, I could be fine with it but wouldn’t play.