Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Neat thou I wonder why they took 2 years to release this image if they took the picture back in 2017,
    I can see them taking afew months to double check the data

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Neat thou I wonder why they took 2 years to release this image if they took the picture back in 2017,
    It took a lot of time to generate this image from the data they collected - and then double and triple check it independently by different teams.

It isn't like they took a photo with a camera and said "look, a black hole!".
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They wrote an article and everything! I bet if you read it, you could find out.

All kidding aside, the process took a very long time, and the follow up along with independent confirmation - they wanted to be sure they got it right before releasing the image.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    It took a lot of time to generate this image from the data they collected - and then double and triple check it independently by different teams.

It isn't like they took a photo with a camera and said "look, a black hole!".
    You're so much kinder than I today.

The process they employed was amazing, at least, and how they came about it was a triumph of industry and science coming together.

being a rat is one of the lowest things a person can be.

anyway, it's pretty cool looking. but you know, it's probably just a super tiny little hard rock that weighs a shit ton, right? it's a shame, but i doubt it's a "hole" in space.

if they are a hole, that's got some interesting implications.
    that "tiny" rock is the size of our solar system. And no, a black hole isn't a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    that "tiny" rock is the size of our solar system. And no, a black hole isn't a hole.
    do we know that the black part is the actual object itself?

i figure at that point light's done for, so it'd just be a black area with no way to know exactly what the object looks like.

Well, technically... we're seeing the accretion disk? Since we can't actually see an ideal black body...
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2019-04-10 at 09:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    How can we verify this is a real picture of a "Black Hole" and not just something created on a computer?
    Feels like another hoax, just like the "Moon landing" back in the 60s.
    Eddie Bravo, is that you?

do we know that the black part is the actual object itself?

i figure at that point light's done for, so it'd just be a black area with no way to know exactly what the object looks like.
    Yeah, that's what's giving it the name. It's a dense object with gravity that light can't escape and thus it will be perceived as a hole. The object itself is whatever matter comes close enough to be dragged in. Most likely plenty of fusion going on in there too.

being a rat is one of the lowest things a person can be.

anyway, it's pretty cool looking. but you know, it's probably just a super tiny little hard rock that weighs a shit ton, right? it's a shame, but i doubt it's a "hole" in space.

if they are a hole, that's got some interesting implications.
    It isnt really a hole, its a ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dymonic View Post
    Fighting against a warlock is about being under a constant barrage of smaller spells that chip away at your health. During the fight you would constantly be trying to do enough damage to the warlock to kill him before his spells build to critical mass, killing you. Warlocks prefer a very blatant display of their power. Walking around with their minions, or having their spells scorch the very earth they are battling upon

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Yeah, that's what's giving it the name. It's a dense object with gravity that light can't escape and thus it will be perceived as a hole. The object itself is whatever matter comes close enough to be dragged in. Most likely plenty of fusion going on in there too.
    but with density on that level, i'm sure it crushes everything that goes into it to a level that must be tiny. diamond, stone, metal, whatever, nothing could withstand being crushed with this much force.

so whatever the black hole is made of has to be something stupidly heavy and stupidly hard.

historic moment

but with density on that level, i'm sure it crushes everything that goes into it to a level that must be tiny. diamond, stone, metal, whatever, nothing could withstand being crushed with this much force.

so whatever the black hole is made of has to be something stupidly heavy and stupidly hard.
    The idea is that the space between atoms is compressed inside a black hole, all atoms and their bonds are shattered in the process, materials like we know it don't exists anymore. What exactly happens and if and in what form energy exists inside is unknown at this point. However matter outside of a black hole is generally very empty, with that I mean that the space between the nuclei of an atom and the electrons surrounding it is so big that at average density water is 99.9999...% empty space. So while being much heavier then our sun (in this case about 4 billion times as heavy) it could well be that the actual size of the ball in the middle of this particular black hole is smaller then the sun itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjinx View Post
    The idea is that the space between atoms is compressed inside a black hole, all atoms and their bonds are shattered in the process, materials like we know it don't exists anymore. What exactly happens and if and in what form energy exists inside is unknown at this point. However matter outside of a black hole is generally very empty, with that I mean that the space between the nuclei of an atom and the electrons surrounding it is so big that at average density water is 99.9999...% empty space. So while being much heavier then our sun (in this case about 4 billion times as heavy) it could well be that the actual size of the ball in the middle of this particular black hole is smaller then the sun itself.
    see, that's what i mean.

the thing in the black spot could be the size of a marble for all we know.

but idk, i feel like it has to be made of something we don't know the name of yet. some kind of substance, like neutron stars are made of. a teaspoon of neutron star matter weighs like a stupid heavy amount, i can't remember exactly how much(it's been a while since i watched that documentary).

considering a black hole is a collapsed star, it's probably pretty similar to the stuff a neutron star is made of. or maybe it is the same stuff, just in greater quantity. meaning it would be as big or bigger than our sun.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not impressed. It is big fricken black hole. So what? What I am impressed with however is photos which show multiple galaxies in the same view. Such an abundance of stars to the point it is mind boggling. To Imagine this is all from a accident reinforces to myself the insanity of such a concept.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Seems like no one actually cares about this thankfully, but what actual, tangible proof is there that it even is what they say it is? Some BS equations or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Not impressed. It is big fricken black hole. So what? What I am impressed with however is photos which show multiple galaxies in the same view. Such an abundance of stars to the point it is mind boggling. To Imagine this is all from a accident reinforces to myself the insanity of such a concept.
    Oh boy, here comes the Creationists. We can't have a single scientific discussion without SOMEONE coming in to peddle that old tired idea.

OT: pretty cool. Now we just need to develop an actual camera that takes a visible light photo instead of sensors picking up various infrared and ultraviolet wavelengths to generate an image.

A good ELI5 on this image

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Its much harder to peer into the core of a galaxy than to get a bunch in one shot. M87, the galaxy those to view, is about as wide as our but ~4 times as massive. 4x the stuff in the same amount of space. We can barely see the core of our own galaxy. Now try to view the core of a galaxy 53 million light years away with 4x the stars/gas to look through. Then you have to isolate the event horizon the of the black hole in a swirling disc of gas bright than our sun. Scientist had to come up with completly new algorithms just to get a chance of viewing this thing.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    52 million light years is a good distance. I wouldn’t want to get sucked in.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Had to edit out all the evidence of extraterrestrial life.