Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Really thought WoW would have a resurgence about now.

Not speaking of this expansion in particular, but just of the game.

How many guildmates and friends in game did you all lose to family and kids? Still nerds but wanting to have a game that their kids could play with them?

Always thought that if WoW held on long enough to let those kids get into college then suddenly you'd end up with more people playing. Families using raiding and the game to remain close despite being miles apart.

Guess I underestimated just how connected our society is and the general density of WoW now having so many expansions that could make a returning or new player feel daunted when approached with.

5+ Year Old Account
    ups wrong post, but well adding to my another. I always wanted to play with my brother and nephews, but they got bored about it, they want more action oriented like Halo style.

The only game that i can safetly said that i play with my nephews its Warframe. But WoW.... well yeah. And probably i am not going to promote BfA of course.
    Last edited by Kemsa; 2019-04-11 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    we will see tomorrow if 8.2 will save BfA and welp, WoW in general.
    It's almost as if you missed the point or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemsa View Post
    we will see tomorrow if 8.2 will save BfA and welp, WoW in general.
    It won't. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    It won't. At all.
    You also think FF is the best MMO. Not sure if I would trust your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Cara View Post
    You also think FF is the best MMO. Not sure if I would trust your opinions.
    That's why it's an opinion lol. You aren't supposed to. You should go with your own opinion.

What game I like is irrelevant to the discussion though so let's leave that alone.

Life changes. I started playing WoW in 2004. There are many hobbies back then that I loved and that I now no longer find interesting. For many people they've moved on from WoW because after all a lot can happen in 15 years.

5+ Year Old Account
    yeah my mistake i gooffed out :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    Not speaking of this expansion in particular, but just of the game.

How many guildmates and friends in game did you all lose to family and kids? Still nerds but wanting to have a game that their kids could play with them?

Always thought that if WoW held on long enough to let those kids get into college then suddenly you'd end up with more people playing. Families using raiding and the game to remain close despite being miles apart.

Guess I underestimated just how connected our society is and the general density of WoW now having so many expansions that could make a returning or new player feel daunted when approached with.
    I havent lost anyone to "family values" but the guild i joined to spend around in before "taking over" in a way and turning it into my friends and family raid group seems to be exactly those type of players you are asking about.

They all seem to be 35-45 and i had to kick ton of inactive characters with officer notes like "Son of person 1" "Son of person 2" "Son of person 3" "Younger son of person 1" , those were all 3-5 year old inactive characters so.

I assume they did what you are talking about, considering those kids would randomly pop online to do some sort of mount farming.

They all quit at Legion en masse because they had to play 2 extra hours/week to farm some AP which apparently was too much? Despite watching them on games like World Of Tanks/ARK and similar P2W or shitty ass games for 5h/night but their kids seemed to be logging on randomly for awhile.

Also, WoW cant have that sort of renewal for multiple reasons.

1)Its not F2P, younger generation does not care to P2P in its majority, economy also doesnt help, cant speak for other European countries, but kids of today would not touch WoW with a 10 foot pole because of that Buy Game+Sub.

2)Its not the "trend" of this generation, it was the trend for 2005-2008, aka trend meaning something that people play because its mentioned everywhere, making people that should never "Game" to start playing it.

LoL is the same for 2010-2013 period, CS:GO is the 2014 period shared with LoL,not sure what would fit into the 2014-2017 period probably Dota 2 in combination with other stuff appearing, Pubg/Fortnite is the 2017 period etc, like Dota Auto Chess has been for 2019 till now.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-04-11 at 01:07 AM.

Most children try to dissociate from anything their parent do.. so thinking they would play the same game as them is like thinking they would have then as a friend on snapchat.

I mean, there must be some.. but it must be a very low minority.

MMORPG is a dying genre. Literally every subscription based MMO minus WoW and FF14 has either fallen flat on its face and gone F2P with varying degrees of success or just plain died, like wildstar. It's just not the cool thing to do anymore. BFA not being particularly any good certainly isn't helping.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

Breaking news: MMO about to reach the decade and a half old mark not the hottest thing in gaming anymore

In related news sky is blue and water is wet

If a resurgeance does not happen by 8.2, it's not happening during BFA. Keep in mind BFA's "resurgeance" could easily be manipulated and/or disguised for something that it is not. For example, during the summer (probably August), Wow Classic will be released and the sub#'s will go up significantly, worst case scenario I'd expect a 1million sub gain, perhaps even as high 2-3million. And since Blizzard thinks we're incredibly dumb, they could declare the sub surge to be part of Patch 8.2 and not Wow Classic.

I think that for better or for worse the game will be permanently split with classic wow. Those who want a more... collection based game and the hardest of hard content will flock to modern wow. While those who want a slower much more mmo and rpg experience will join classic.

That isn't to say one is better then the other just they offer different experiences. What will be interesting to see is if classic gets enough attention and popularity to offer classic+ server and if those will take the form of tbc or a entirely new expansion simply recycling assets with a new story.

Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    And since Blizzard thinks we're incredibly dumb, they could declare the sub surge to be part of Patch 8.2 and not Wow Classic.
    I mean Blizzard doesn't have to explain a "resurgence" to anyone but their shareholders and as long as number goes up shareholders really don't give a shit how it happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxeley View Post
    And since Blizzard thinks we're incredibly dumb, they could declare the sub surge to be part of Patch 8.2 and not Wow Classic.
    They won't declare anything about subscriptions. They're done with that. They may talk about other metrics but subscriptions won't be part of it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    Only way Warcraft in general ,not just wow, will have a resurgence is if they release a new and very good game that’s within the Warcraft universe. I say in wow2 is going to be a Virtual reality MMO in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post

People move on. For what it's worth three of the people I play with regularly are family and we do just what you're talking about to the extent that we can. I think that's very rare. The game is undeniably old and showing its age. The systems are a little bit tired and there are shiny new games out there you can easily play with family members on phone or tablet (Words with Friends, etc.).

I firmly believe at this point that Blizzard could release a perfect expansion that even the doubters would like, it would receive great reviews and good word of mouth and it wouldn't draw in much more than it does now. MMO's are not where gaming is these days to be blunt.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

I'm god-father to our DPS officer's son. At different times, I've roomed with one of our Tanks and one of our Healers. I convinced our Rogue to move countries to live a 20 minute drive from us -- where us is a group of about 5 of us who all ended up moving to the same county in South-East England. I've played with all my siblings at one point or another. And I still keep in contact with about 8 of our core 15 raiders from TBC-MoP era, some more distantly than others, but all enough that it wouldn't be awkward to drop them a random message asking how they're getting on.

I can see where you're coming from @Shelly but, truth be told, I don't need WoW to facilitate my connections anymore. It served its role admirably and now I have a guild in real life to manage. I don't need it to re-surge. It's gone gently into retirement.

Not yet, Classic hasn't been released yet.